• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets arrange a LOTR: Battle for MIddle Earth 2 (360) league interest??

RevenantKioku said:
Rarh. I went to EB with 3 games that were actually giving good values, but they wouldn't give me $10 extra because they said all 3 had to be the same system. The hell? I've done these deals for years and never had a problem.
Oh well, I'll try another EB near work tomorrow and maybe I'll join up sometime in the merriness.

you need to find the right store. the one I go to, they dont care about platforms for the 3 trades, they also add another 10% on top due to the Edge card (which they shouldnt be doing). it was actually one of the store employees that prompted the Edge card 10% value on top! that store is fantastic. they never ask about trade ins, subscriptions etc either.

Kingpen

you can either click on the 4 corners of your fortress (unless it is goblins or Mordor), or you can bring up your builder and you should be able to build a wall hub as one of the options.

Baker

Banned
Brandon F said:
That mission [6 on the Good campaign] isn't so bad.
Don't even bother touching the shipyards until you have built up a solid base with heavy defenses above the port, the real challenge of the mission is not the sea battles, but the multiple sieges on your base. Once you've got some walls and towers built on that western path(those sieges will become a cakewalk), then you can hit the open waters and 'activate' the enemy AI'.

In fact most every campaign mission works this way, the AI is scripted to turn on when you reach a certain radius or complete a certain mission objective. Unlike skirmish they don't play to win, and rarely ever act aggressive outside of scripting.

Just take your time and never progress unless prepared, the game allows you to do this.

I dunno if walkthroughs/hints need to be spoiler tagged or not...

[Regarding Mission 6 on the Good campaign]
I never had a sea battle in this mission. I built one siege ship off the dock in the upper right of the "base," took out the only building that was close enough to shore and agroed a cave troll.

For this mission, I just used three waves of armies. I left Dain in town the entire time since he has to live for a Secondary Objective. The dwarves absolutely suck in this mission because 99 times out of 100, only the first group of guardians in your battalion will attack. The rest just stand there like idiots. The turning point was when I figured out that the Inn right in your base can get archers for 150. I just added four of those to each army I sent out.

There's two paths into the enemy's base, and since each is guarded by a worm, make sure you take the same fork each time (so you don't have to waste armies on the second one). The last two catapults are on a pennisula to the upper left, and one group of guardians can take them out. Just always attack the stationary one because they can't hit you if you're moving.

The other "trick" is that any enemy you agro, will end up heading to your base if you die. So using a siege ship and one set of guardians, you can just nit pick a lot of the baddies and send them to instant death by your battalion sitting in your base.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Can you repair broken sections of the wall without having to build a whole new wall?

I dunno... I tried last night and had to demolish the remaining sections and build a new one.

BuddyC said:
Alright, but where do I get the ability to build wall hubs? I didn't notice any builders, and I didn't see a fortress that would allow me to build hubs around it either.

The builders have the ability to build the wall hubs. IT's one of the last options in their build menu.

BuddyC

Kingpen said:
you can either click on the 4 corners of your fortress (unless it is goblins or Mordor), or you can bring up your builder and you should be able to build a wall hub as one of the options.
I didn't see a fortress in this mission though. Guess I'll just have to pay a bit more attention when I try it again this afternoon.

BuddyC

Outcast2004 said:
The builders have the ability to build the wall hubs. IT's one of the last options in their build menu.
Yea, but I didn't see any builders in Mission 6 of the Good Campaign. I probably just overlooked them though, going by Brandon F's post.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Oh wait, I thought Mission 6 was the one where you begin on the dock. I have the numbering all confused.

Karg

Certain races don't have the ability to make walls. Humans, Dwarves, and Elves I know can make walls and I think thats it. By this I mean their builders are the only ones I've seen have that ability. Not sure if any of the other races can build walls similar to the above races off the Fortress.

As for repairing broken walls you don't have to demolish the whole thing to repair it. Simply click on the nearest wall hub to that broken section and then move the cursor as if you were building over the existing wall. You will see the broken areas get highlighted to make a new wall for just those areas.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Maybe I'll change my mind once I do an online game or two, but I'm not really feeling this game and with everything I have on my plate already, I just don't have the time for it. If anyone is interested in the game, I'll probably trade for something else. At least I'd like to get in one online game before I do that though.

Baker

Banned
Brandon F said:
Oh wait, I thought Mission 6 was the one where you begin on the dock. I have the numbering all confused.

It is.

RevenantKioku said:
Maybe I'll change my mind once I do an online game or two, but I'm not really feeling this game and with everything I have on my plate already, I just don't have the time for it. If anyone is interested in the game, I'll probably trade for something else. At least I'd like to get in one online game before I do that though.

Just a warning. If you play this game online, you won't put it down for two weeks. I'm still in shock that I actually got $60 worth out of an EA game already.

Karg said:
Certain races don't have the ability to make walls. Humans, Dwarves, and Elves I know can make walls and I think thats it.

As for repairing broken walls you don't have to demolish the whole thing to repair it. Simply click on the nearest wall hub to that broken section and then move the cursor as if you were building over the existing wall. You will see the broken areas get highlighted to make a new wall for just those areas.

Cool! Thanks for the info!

Karg

Walls should really be a mid to late game add-on, more of a waste of resources earlier on. Simply because a wall by itself is easily smashed in about 1 minute if a Ent/Troll/Catapult gets near it. Already had a few bases destroyed because I thought my wall defenses were sound. Now creating multiple levels like stated above in that Black Gate example......pretty slick.

Baker

Banned
Karg said:
Walls should really be a mid to late game add-on, more of a waste of resources earlier on. Simply because a wall by itself is easily smashed in about 1 minute if a Ent/Troll/Catapult gets near it. Already had a few bases destroyed because I thought my wall defenses were sound. Now creating multiple levels like stated above in that Black Gate example......pretty slick.

Yeah, and then the elves can't build any type of fortifications to the walls, so they're extra worthless. The only thing I've found them to be good for is idle enemy armies will go after the wall first instead of your buildings.

Karg said:

I'm noticing walls are pretty worthless, they only delay the inevitable. ESPEICAILLY if you are playing aginst dwarves. They have stuff in their seige shops that can bring them down in a damn hurry.

Dwarves I've discovered are great for tearing a base apart from within, but not so effective against land troops.

Karg

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Can you "Man" the walls with troops?

Don't believe so. Humands and Dwarves I believe allow you to create axe/arrow towers on them and also catapults towers but nothing to occupy. You can put troops in your outposts/guard towers and I think it gives that tower a slight boost in power if you do. Not really sure of any of other benefits that may provide.

Oh and Attack Trolls can suck it. Hard. Friend of mine rushed me and almost brought me down to nothing against these bastards. They swat almost everything aside like they're fleas. The best defense I've found against them are pikeman. They TEAR trolls and over big creatures apart in a hurry. Remember, a mixture of troop types is essential.

And for any of you that play with the one Ring mode on and actually find that little hiding punk Gollum, grab that ring and bring it back to your base in a hurry. You get a 10k Ring Hero that takes awhile to recruit but its a game winner. Sauron is unstoppable. Each swip of his club knocks away ALL units and his power rains down a fire blast that destroys almost everything. A lot of fun to have, makes you want to cry when its used against you.

Kingpen

Karg said:
Certain races don't have the ability to make walls. Humans, Dwarves, and Elves I know can make walls and I think thats it. By this I mean their builders are the only ones I've seen have that ability. Not sure if any of the other races can build walls similar to the above races off the Fortress.

Isengard can build up walls as well.... They are a nice balanced race with their heroes, and I think they can have trolls as well. Those damn Oliphants tore me a new a-hole last night and completely demolished my base...

Damn the AI on the 1P skirmish sure puts up a good fight...

Brandon F

perplexcity said:

Wait, is it the mission where you first learn to build boats? Or is it the one where you spend the first part of the mission with Dain and a large company cruising around a maze of boardwalks capturing inn's and such?

Baker

Banned
Brandon F said:
Wait, is it the mission where you first learn to build boats? Or is it the one where you spend the first part of the mission with Dain and a large company cruising around a maze of boardwalks capturing inn's and such?

Mission 6 is when you start with Dain on the maze-like docks.

Mission 5 is the boat building one.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
perplexcity said:
Just a warning. If you play this game online, you won't put it down for two weeks. I'm still in shock that I actually got $60 worth out of an EA game already.
Somehow I doubt it. :lol Not that I'm trying to say anything about the game, but I was a big RTS junkie back in highschool and thought this might get me back in. So far, no go. -_-;

Baker

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
Somehow I doubt it. :lol Not that I'm trying to say anything about the game, but I was a big RTS junkie back in highschool and thought this might get me back in. So far, no go. -_-;

Just wait until the first punk kid named like Chronic360GangstaPoopMonkey666 beats you online. Then you'll be hellbent on whooping some ass.

Had a pretty good one last night that went pretty quick.

Used the orcs and DAMN are they a blast to use. The units are cheap...but die quickly so you'll be using alot of them.

Opponent was using Humans and didn't get much of a chance to put up a fight. We agreed to a 25 minute waiting period before attacks. But when I did I sent one LARGE squad to the corner of the map to hold unitl I was ready.

I sent a smaller unit right up to his front door to distract him. The other massive army loaded with Giants and Cave trolls came in and DEMOLISHED his fortress and a few farms before being killed off. He still had his builder, but not enough resources to do anything after trying to build up a calvary.

HE just slowly bled to death as the orcs just kept coming.

Baker

Banned
I finally beat the good campaign last night. Hot damn did Mission 8 take forever to complete. Wasn't tough though, just a lot to do.

So there's an achievement for beating the campaign without losing a hero. I lost one in that stupid ass Mission 5 when you have to
send the transport ships over to capture the two remaining shipyards
. Does anyone know if I can just play that level again and get the achievement after doing it correctly? Or do I have to play all eight missions again?

I can't wait to start on the evil campaign so I can start using them online. The Elves have treated me well so far, but people need some orc rush revenge.

Wollan

I just came back home with a copy. My X360 is in Australia though so I will have to wait until tuesday before I play.

Baker

Banned
Kung Foo Kid said:
Demo is on marketplace now for it :)

Yeah it popped up last night. Has anyone tried it?

I'm hoping it contains some kind of tutorial so people don't get too frustrated trying to figure it out. I'm having a hell of a time convincing friends to buy the game, so maybe the demo can help me.

gsarjeant

perplexcity said:
Yeah it popped up last night. Has anyone tried it?

I'm hoping it contains some kind of tutorial so people don't get too frustrated trying to figure it out. I'm having a hell of a time convincing friends to buy the game, so maybe the demo can help me.

I tried it last night and really enjoyed it. It does have a tutorial
(perhaps the same as the in-game tutorial? You defend a mountain pass from trolls as the elves)
. It also has a single-player mission (evil).
You have to cross a river and attack the elves while freeing some captured giants
. There is also a multiplayer mission, but I didn't try that.

I was pretty impressed. I'm not an RTS player (I played a few missions in WC3 a while ago, and that's it) and I was able to get the hang of the controls pretty quickly. There's obviously more to it than I saw, and I'm not sure how it would translate for someone who's really used to keyboard/mouse RTS control schemes, but I think there's enough in the demo to give folks a good feel for it. I may pick it up at lunch today.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Downloading the demo now (60%).

I really hope it is good because the game come out next Wednesday in Australia and I never mind paying full price for a good RTS game (they have so much replay value).

arne

Dr_Cogent said:
I've noticed arne playing this game, and I messaged him about giving us his impressions. Has he ever posted about it?

No. I'll post tonight. Obviously i'm still playing it. heh.

RevenantKioku

What the hell. I'm doing the first mission for the good campaign, and my objective is protect Rivendell. So first I fight off some hordes of shit, then build up my army. Waiting for a new wave, nothing happens. So I go out and kill everything on the map that I can find, and still NOTHING!! edfalkerj2q34lk4rj234l5523k4;j234;1hj!!!!!!
Anyone want to play online before I sell this out of rage?

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
I loved this game after the demo

Tutorial – Rocked
Single Player – Rocked
Xbox Live – Rocked (I won my only game!)

But dam the pace was so dam fast on live, I was playing goblin etc.. All I was doing was building bulk basic armies and wearing the opposition down (who eventionaly retired)

Still I wish the pace was just a wee bit slower.

Definitely BUYING THIS NEXT WEEK!

RevenantKioku

Buy my copy.
Oh wait, you're Australia, aren't you?

Thinking about picking this up. Had fun with the demo but it's the first strategy game I've ever tried to play so I have no doubt I'll be terrible at it for awhile. How tough are these games to learn to play?

hgplayer1

RevenantKioku said:
What the hell. I'm doing the first mission for the good campaign, and my objective is protect Rivendell. So first I fight off some hordes of shit, then build up my army. Waiting for a new wave, nothing happens. So I go out and kill everything on the map that I can find, and still NOTHING!! edfalkerj2q34lk4rj234l5523k4;j234;1hj!!!!!!

some of the missions have objectives that require you to build certain objects before it moves on. check your objectives list (back button I think) and see if theres something youre not building thats keeping it from progressing.

RevenantKioku

hgplayer1 said:
some of the missions have objectives that require you to build certain objects before it moves on. check your objectives list (back button I think) and see if theres something youre not building thats keeping it from progressing.
All it says is "Protect Rivendell". I don't even have any builders! Nor can I make them.
I played a few games online, and realized that RTS just isn't for me anymore. So if anyone is looking for the US version of this game, PM me with offers.

Okay, I am quite liking this now. I'm just through the fourth mission on Good and I'm finally getting a handle on things. (Unfortunately, I missed the Secondaries on the third mission. Any idea how I'll be able to take care of that without going through the whole thing again? Not that I'd really mind, now that I know what I'm actually doing.)

I know I'm not ready for Live yet, unless it was with some GAF chums who don't mind some training wheeling.

At this point I've grown out of simply just Select Army: Double Tap A, Repeat, Repeat and am finally using a modicum of strategy. (For example,
I sent in the demolisher to take care of the last gate by himself and left the rest of my troops further back down the hallway, making the spiders much more managable and giving me some great openings to do serious damage to the dragon.
).

And I'm getting a hang of Powers which are, of course, invaluable once the end of a level rolls around.

It's quite a lot of fun, although I'm much more hassled by the navigation than the actual controls. You definitely miss the extra zoom.

Also, who's doing the narrating up in this mug? It's not Sean Bean or Hugo Weaving is it?

Brandon F

RevenantKioku said:

The campaign is all scripted. The AI is activated only within a certain radius of exploration or objective clearing. Skirmish style adrenaline rushes just don't exist.

C4Lukins

BenjaminBirdie said:
Okay, I am quite liking this now. I'm just through the fourth mission on Good and I'm finally getting a handle on things. (Unfortunately, I missed the Secondaries on the third mission. Any idea how I'll be able to take care of that without going through the whole thing again? Not that I'd really mind, now that I know what I'm actually doing.)

I know I'm not ready for Live yet, unless it was with some GAF chums who don't mind some training wheeling.

At this point I've grown out of simply just Select Army: Double Tap A, Repeat, Repeat and am finally using a modicum of strategy. (For example,
I sent in the demolisher to take care of the last gate by himself and left the rest of my troops further back down the hallway, making the spiders much more managable and giving me some great openings to do serious damage to the dragon.
).

And I'm getting a hang of Powers which are, of course, invaluable once the end of a level rolls around.

It's quite a lot of fun, although I'm much more hassled by the navigation than the actual controls. You definitely miss the extra zoom.

Also, who's doing the narrating up in this mug? It's not Sean Bean or Hugo Weaving is it?

I think it is Hugo Weaving

Kingpen

I'll do some live with you when we see each other. I like the game a lot as well. I'm not a seasoned vet by any means, just played a few skirmishes and am still getting my butt handed to me by the CPU.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Game is pretty good. Got to the second single player mission. Still not totally cool with the controls. They will take some getting used too. Too bad I don't have time to play these games like most of the kids these days. :(

Who's up for a game tonight? We should try and get a 2v2 going if that's possible.

My gamertag is my screen name here, WHOAguitarninja. Send me a friend request and we can try to work something out.

hgplayer1

WHOAguitarninja said:
Who's up for a game tonight? We should try and get a 2v2 going if that's possible.

My gamertag is my screen name here, WHOAguitarninja. Send me a friend request and we can try to work something out.

sent you a friend request. I should be around most of the night. if you can give me a specific time that you want to start post it so I can be there.

I'm really up for anytime. I'd like to take a break for the daily show, but that's not entirely necessary.

I'm a serious n00b though, so apologies to anyone who gets stuck on my team =).

monoRAIL

Banned
The games's out in Australia this week - I've ordered my copy. Add me to your friends list if you want to play in Aussie time zones.

Gamertag - monoRAIL

ps, I rush, don't whine, it's not cheap, it's a strategy :p

Top Bottom