Let's destroy each other's minds with obscure childhood nostalgia!

Mar 6, 2018
The goal here is to post examples of things from your childhood that have not become common pop culture references. Things there's a good chance people here haven't thought about for 15 to 30 years.

For some reason, "that weird animated thing with the drinking cup" came to my mind last night, shortly before going to sleep. I have no idea what made me think of that. A couple minutes later, and I vaguely remembered the theme song. Then today, I found it on you tube. I had no idea that this was from Sesame Street in the 80s.

What long-forgotten examples of childhood memories can you think of?

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018
Southeastern USA
Thanks to James Rolfe I was reminded of this ad recently.

It really is an amazing experience to remember something you haven't thought about in decades, the comments in the video also led me to this ad as well.

Which I remembered even better than the Muzzy commercial, but also hadn't thought of in forever, it caused me to have some serious flashbacks to watching Cartoon Network as a kid late at night on the weekends in the late 90s, Lord do I miss those days.

Then I feel like everyone has a movie or two that they loved as a kid but is obscure or was a flop, for me it was the Robin Williams movie Toys, which I loved, then went on to learn it's an infamous flop that most people hate.

There was also the animated film Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland.

Mar 6, 2018
"I've got something planned which is, little cheese sandwiches" That's Eminem levels of quality lyricism right there. Does Timer also enjoy using the word Orange in his rhymes?

Thanks to James Rolfe I was reminded of this ad recently.

It really is an amazing experience to remember something you haven't thought about in decades, the comments in the video also led me to this ad as well.

Then I feel like everyone has a movie or two that they loved as a kid but is obscure or was a flop, for me it was the Robin Williams movie Toys, which I loved, then went on to learn it's an infamous flop that most people hate.
Good post. Both of those ads were great. Muzzy would have cost 169 dollars! And that's not even current dollars.

Your Toys comment got me thinking. I wanted to come up with something really obscure. The Last Starfighter? No. The Last Dragon? Still pretty well known. Probably even more so. And then it hit me. I can still see the title, written in pen on an old VHS tape. I give you, The Eliminators.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Jan 1, 2017
East Tennessee, USA
Yes! Came to post this!

The theme song of Today's Special never left the depths of my brain, and the show creeped me out about mannequins for years:

Also, this thread helped me conjure up and revisit the nightmare fuel of Lord Kuruku and how an entire village was turned into featureless stone golems and kidnapped pied-piper style only to become helpless building blocks in the psychotic demon-possessed doll's massive magic castle. The movie is seriously messed up...and I'm sure any child named Toby was scarred for life:

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
England
The music is great in this show! Thanks for sharing!
In the depths of my childhood memories, there rests a French, Punk remix of the intro song. It's burned in there. But I've never been able to find it online :(

But yes, the show has incredible music. Likely why it's stuck with me for so long.

The same can be said for these, actually :

Oct 30, 2013
Back before mass shootings were a near daily occurrence, Coibel, LARAMI and Edison-Giacatolli made plastic toy guns. They looked real, and weighed as much as the real gun, in some cases.

Thug life.
These were awesome. My buddies and I would go crazy with these. Then they passed that law to add those colored tips at the front so we don't get accidentally shot by da 5-0

Nov 5, 2018
These were awesome. My buddies and I would go crazy with these. Then they passed that law to add those colored tips at the front so we don't get accidentally shot by da 5-0
Yep, I played "war" with my friends in their back yard, which was about 10 acres. Great times.

The pre redtip toy guns now fetch $100 on eBay. I still have the Mac-10 at my parents' house.