• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's destroy each other's minds with obscure childhood nostalgia!

Rbk_3

nfights.jpg

Yeah, saw those in GameStop the other day. Cool but they are oversized which kinda killed it for me.

The ones on Ashen's channel were classic miniature sized I guess they come in multiple sizes?

Also anyone remember the failed toyline Snailiens?

No you don't.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I've been downloading old game magazines from the 90's off of Archive .org to read at work. They have a ton of shit on there.

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
My little sister loved this show and I havent seen or heard of it in 25 years. I guess Disney doesnt milk everything to death

1st thought: Everyone remembers Transformers, but how many people remember The Gobots?

2nd thought: And how did the theme song go? The only part I remember is "The Gobots! The Gobots!" What was the rest of it?

Oh.

3rd thought: I guess this was a rip-off of Transformers, and wasn't as popular. Nope, this came first. '83 vs '84. Also, per Wikipedia:

Although initially a separate and competing franchise started in 1983, Tonka's Gobots became the intellectual property of Hasbro after their buyout of Tonka in 1991. Subsequently, the universe depicted in the animated series Challenge of the GoBots and follow-up film GoBots: Battle of the Rock Lords was retroactively established as an alternate universe within the Transformers robot superhero franchise.[3]

The theme song of Today's Special never left the depths of my brain, and the show creeped me out about mannequins for years:

Today's Special was the very next thing I was going to post in this thread, and then you beat me to it. For some reason the "new shoes" song stuck with me for decades now. I think my childhood thoughts about Mannequins were more a product of this movie, though:

I still love that Starship theme song.

Last edited:

Shifty

Welcome, watchers of illusion, to the castle of confusion!

This shit was rad back in the day.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Nightmare the VHS board game (apparently it was called Atmosfear in other regions).

nightmare-board-game.jpg

You played the game with an acompanying VHS tape, which you had to interact with.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
Who needs still Flash cartoons with supposedly witty and funny dialogue?

Anyway, screw Garfield...Heathcliff comic strip is older

Japanese outsourcing days

Nymphae

Banned
Haven't looked through the whole thread, anyone remember Kids Street? I always wanted the My Pet Monster stuffed animal that was on the toy wall at the end lol. The clapping above heads was a weird thing too.

Also this show was cheesy as hell, but it was novel seeing games on TV in this way back then

Last edited:
MV5BNWVjZDE5ZTgtNGU5YS00OThkLTk1OWEtODQ4YzhkNjcxOTMyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_.jpg

987ba498-28df-11e6-942f-56f0283dee13.jpg

Cant remeber if this was late 80s or early 90s but thanks to this Panini sticker album, i fell in love with cars. The whole school was collecting them, i guess you can call it my first collection.

People seem to still remember(-ish) Captain N but what about the old videogame show Video Power that had it's own videogame mash-up cartoon, The Power Team.

It sucked but you'd watch it anyway because it was videogames and cartoons.:messenger_savoring:

Last edited:

manfestival

Thanks to James Rolfe I was reminded of this ad recently.

It really is an amazing experience to remember something you haven't thought about in decades, the comments in the video also led me to this ad as well.

Which I remembered even better than the Muzzy commercial, but also hadn't thought of in forever, it caused me to have some serious flashbacks to watching Cartoon Network as a kid late at night on the weekends in the late 90s, Lord do I miss those days.

Then I feel like everyone has a movie or two that they loved as a kid but is obscure or was a flop, for me it was the Robin Williams movie Toys, which I loved, then went on to learn it's an infamous flop that most people hate.

There was also the animated film Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland.

This thread was doing nothing for me until I got to this post. Hot dang, those muzzy commercials ALMOST got me wanting to learn french. I also had a ton of zoobooks

bitbydeath

Excuse the vaseline but this video is worth a watch.
Disclaimer: It's a kids show but hey it was a different time man. (And I'm sure not all of this would have made it to air, although some certainly did from my recollection)

K1Expwy

Maybe not that obscure, but still prime childhood for me

This aired on late night TV

I can guarantee the Far Cry Blood Dragon devs watched this

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
People seem to still remember(-ish) Captain N but what about the old videogame show Video Power that had it's own videogame mash-up cartoon, The Power Team.

It sucked but you'd watch it anyway because it was videogames and cartoons.:messenger_savoring:

Now that you mentioned, I also remembered this toy spinoff series

I always liked this intro, even if the show itself didn't appeal much to me. I like how the geeky boy just designs a naked robot with big pointy boobs for himself.

Top Bottom