• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's destroy each other's minds with obscure childhood nostalgia!

In the 80s, Disney used to have an hour or so of programming each week on NBC. They used to show lots of classic Disney cartoons, but they'd also play with the formula sometimes. One of the best things they did was using old cartoons to make new music videos. They called it DTV. This whole special is wonderful, but I time stamped one of my favorites, a perfect blend of The Stray Cats music mixed with a 1950s themed animation with a great retro look. The Stevie Wonder, Madonna, and Elton John tracks are a few other favorites of mine.

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

Just like real wrestling action obviously . I think I had a few of them ..

These I did have a ton of .

This I never got :-(

Last edited:
In the 80s, Disney used to have an hour or so of programming each week on NBC. They used to show lots of classic Disney cartoons, but they'd also play with the formula sometimes. One of the best things they did was using old cartoons to make new music videos. They called it DTV. This whole special is wonderful, but I time stamped one of my favorites, a perfect blend of The Stray Cats music mixed with a 1950s themed animation with a great retro look. The Stevie Wonder, Madonna, and Elton John tracks are a few other favorites of mine.

I had a tv recording of DTV Monster Hits on tape. I used to watch it every Halloween as a kid.

Uhtred

4d0831bfebb4163bd3af76fbb26abc01.jpg

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBBRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! ^

I loved these little Hot Wheels "Crack Ups"

maxresdefault.jpg

I used to have bandit chases with this sheriff car all the time.

tkscz

Mighty Max, on rewatching, was much better than I remember it being. The animation and art style used for the show still holds up and holy shit there is a lot of death in it. The first season was more monster of the week while the second actually had an on going story and a pretty interesting ending. Funny enough, the show got canceled not for lack of viewership or insane amounts of violence for the time, but because it was doing better than the toy it was made to sell.

Posting this one because a new series has been released starring the best thief in fictional history and it's really boring. At the same time, this one was a lot better than I remember it being. Went so far as to give Carmen character development. She doesn't need it, but they went pretty deep into her character. I believe there were even two parters of this series. This was one of the best educational series I've ever seen and it had no reason to be.

dopey

The memorable part of Xanadu:

And as a huge Bluth fan, I wish this concept short would have made it into a feature:

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
In this thread we see which decade posters spent their formative years. Sadly, I couldn't find a commercial for Grunts, but these bring back memories.

Last edited:

Banned
Man, I loved that D&D cartoon when I was a kid. A friend and I were just talking about this cartoon and he reminded me that they somehow slipped a boob past the CBS (?) censors back in the day.

EDIT: Found it on youtube. Still can't believe that got through.

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

I for the life of me can't find it but there was a cgi or claymation Optimus Prime wayyyy back that would show up with a little boy between commercial breaks during one of the show ..I can't remember which gen it was but remember seeing him was just as much fun as watching the show

I for the life of me can't find it but there was a cgi or claymation Optimus Prime wayyyy back that would show up with a little boy between commercial breaks during one of the show ..I can't remember which gen it was but remember seeing him was just as much fun as watching the show

Yeah those were repackaged reruns in the late 80s after the show had ended. I don't know if there was an official name for those episodes and they seem pretty rare.

There's some of it in the first minute of this video though:

And while I'm at it...

Spiral Zone. One of the many shows/toylines that came out in the 1987 glut and didn't survive. Now forgotten.

Have a nice trip...

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
Mighty Max had one of the most messed up endings for a kids show. I guess I got to mention that Voltron was the 1st anime I watched, but at the time I didn't know it was from Japan years later

Last edited:

Banned
Mighty Max had one of the most messed up endings for a kids show. I guess I got to mention that Voltron was the 1st anime I watched, but at the time I didn't know it was from Japan years later

My toy nerd buddy and I got into a Voltron discussion because he's got an original Japanese toy that shoots missiles and everything that he's hoping to unload at a toy show soon. Anyway, he mentioned the original Japanese series and how it got chopped up to make the US version (because of violence). I looked it up on youtube. It's freakin' insane.

So, for your morning entertainment, two clips forwarded to approximately the same place.

USA:

Japan:

Last edited:

Banned
ABC Executive: "What if we had our OWN Knight Rider, but, like...on a.....motorcycle?"

EDIT: Watching some of these old opening credits for various shows, I can now officially say that my parents were saints for putting up with me wanting to watch this shit. But, hey, at least we got this out of it:

Last edited:
My toy nerd buddy and I got into a Voltron discussion because he's got an original Japanese toy that shoots missiles and everything that he's hoping to unload at a toy show soon. Anyway, he mentioned the original Japanese series and how it got chopped up to make the US version (because of violence). I looked it up on youtube. It's freakin' insane.

So, for your morning entertainment, two clips forwarded to approximately the same place.

USA:

Japan:

Oh yeah I watched through the GoLion when it finally got a US DVD release several years ago and it was incredibly violent even for the era. It had everything - gore, cannibalism, on-screen child murder, rape and more. You'd think I just described Violence Jack with that list. They also seemed to really enjoy killing peoples pets. =S

The most infamous episode was "GoLion Hunting" which had some very graphic violence

4YIva6w.jpg

zSJSETt.jpg

Last edited:

Von Hugh

I had this very faint memory from the 90s of an anime that had trains, and an ominous looking character that looked like Vivi from Final Fantasy 9, glowing eyes but no face and all that jazz.

Space might also have been involved in the anime.

So, thanks to the magic of Google, "anime with trains in space" revealed it to be Galaxy Express 999 with the dark character exposing that it certainly was the correct anime 100 %:

header__chara_2.png

I must have been ridiculously young since only those things stuck to my mind. My sister recorded the show on VHS probably at some point, and now I have a everlasting memory of this 'scary' and gloomy space opera anime with trains and a character that looks menacing as hell.

Last edited:
S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
I'm struggling to post images on mobile so I'll come back and edit this later.

Any UK kids may remember the following:

Banana man

The demon headmaster

Bad Influence

The Tomorrow People

Change it up a bit with some 90s stuff

Eek! The Cat

This used to be really popular and spawned at least one spin off cartoon (Thunderlizards). Now it's forgotten and might as well have never existed.

Widget the World Watcher

One of those eco-friendly shows that were pretty common in the early 90s.

That duck Fox Kids used for commercial bumpers

Pizza Head...

Last edited:
There was this odd show on HBO for kids that had stop motion animation and VERY primitive 90's CG.

Felt very similar to what I'd see with Tim Burton's works, but with PBS stuff thrown into the mix.

I didn't watch it much, but it was really odd looking to me. A relative of mine liked it though.

Top Bottom