• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's face it, RE4 was a massive mistake.

Ev1L AuRoN

I don't like Re4 very much, detest Re5 and 6.
The problem for me it's not the camera or the shoulder view. I love Re2 remake and I even liked Re3 remake despite the hate the game suffers.
I know my opinion is not very popular, I just enjoy the 32bit era Resident Evils.
Giving how successful Re4 is, by sales and critic it's hardly a fail. I'm just glad Capcom bring those titles back. I probably will pass a Re4 Remake. Now I just wait the stones.

93xfan

Banned
No thanks. I love the originals, and the remake of 1, 2 and 3, but I think it was a good time for a change, and resident evil four is fantastic. Didn’t finally get to playing through it this past gen, but it still really holds up.

don’t blame 6 on a masterpiece. Btw, REmake is still my favorite

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Any particular reason? And please don’t make it about the series starting on PS1

The install base alone, the more mature market of the PS2. The PS2 version, if the lead platform, would have turned out even better. Don't get me wrong, I didn't mind my purple lunchbox console. Maybe they would have made more money to fund more Viewitful Joe games.

93xfan

Banned
The install base alone, the more mature market of the PS2. The PS2 version, if the lead platform, would have turned out even better. Don't get me wrong, I didn't mind my purple lunchbox console. Maybe they would have made more money to fund more Viewitful Joe games.
I think the visuals would have suffered on the game cube if it was just a port of the PS2 game. I think the textures and effects would be less pretty as a result of this. GameCube was an awesome console, btw. Hope you got to experience both

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

The majority of the franchise games are more action oriented than the pre rendered cutscene, tank control, janky and frankly boring gameplay of the "classic formula". Those games are a byproduct of their times and the technical limitations posed by the hardware, provided with current tech no developer is going to decide to add those mechanics or make those design choices for their game, there's no need to limit yourself.

I fully believe RE2 Remake fully represents the original vision of the developers and that it was only held back by the hardware at the time, same for RE3 (bar the cut content). it's also the reason again in my opinion why if they were to remake 1-0-CV it would be in this style as well, as it's just simply the superior choice.

The originals will always exist for fans to replay and cherish, but it makes zero sense for Capcom to go back there this is exemplified by VII when they tried to make a game more centered on horror and instead of going back to the old formula they made it first person and VR.

IF they hadn't made the change when they did, this thread would instead be about brainstorming how capcom could revitalize and reinvent franchises like Resident Evil and Dino Crisis to fit the modern gaming landscape.

Idk why anyone is bitching about RE4.

Whatever decisions and/or actions made by Capcom for the series is - for better or worse - the reason we have RE today.

The fact that it still exists, a franchise since the 32bit era days, despite the experimentation that almost killed the series like RE6, and they bounced back with a magnificent slew of games is a sign that whatever the case is, Capcom never gave up.

I dont think we could always agree with the direction that the series is taking, but I can wholeheartedly appreciate them consistently trying to keep the series alive despite the changes and tunes of the gaming audience over the decades.

I'm glad they're finally nailing the zombies like in RE2R though.

Idk about RE3R, but the zombies felt a bit less animated than 2, so that was weird.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
So help me understand, what is exactly the ”true Resident Evil” element that RE4 hasn’t?

Because anyone with functioning eyes and brain can see that classic RE had turned into a real estate catalogue of early 1900s mansions with a very convenient underground lab, inhabited by zombies and full to the brim with stupidly repetitive puzzles. That is the true leitmotiv of classic RE. So much so, that Code Veronica had three fucking mansions.

How anyone would still want to find 4 thingamajigs to fit into a panel or rotate a 3D object in the menu to find a conveniently hidden key/gem/whatever with an 8-slot limited inventory, in the mid 2000s, after six games that all felt the same, is beyond me.

And please, RE4 isn’t scary? The maze garden with the dogs was still phenomenally tense even after 6 runs of the game. Salazar’s right arm? Invisible enemies in the water? The Regenerators?
As cheesy as the overall tone of the game is, it still has its scary moments.

kiphalfton

Nemisis was an exception and a boss. When did normal enemies have machine guns in Re1,2,3, Zero and Code Veronica?

And you could do over the shoulder and still keep the classic gameplay formula so your points aren’t exactly valid. Its not about being stuck in the past, its about keeping the formula. Theres not much difference between RE4 and RE5, way less than RE1 —> RE4

Having to deal with hordes of enemies and ammo dropping from there dead bodies and round house kicking them is not the traditional resident Evil and I dont think the original makers thought, ”Oh PS1 tech doesnt allow us this, so lets limit it to slow moving zombies” How can you think its fine for a Resident Evil game to have hordes of enemies with machine guns lmao?

And there was nowhere near the same backtracking at the classics. Or puzzples. When are you in the same location for more than a short amount of time?

I dont know why RE4 fans get so sensitive to when people say it plays and is nothing like a classic RE game. Its not and its fine. Its fine for RE fans not to like it and blame the action style gameplay the series took on RE4. People try to blame RE5 but it uses the RE4 Formula Lol.
RE4 was a masterpiece for the time, but looking back it plays nothing like the Classics. RE7 and RE2 remake play like the classics With difference camera angles.

Only ONE mini boss had a machine gun in RE4. Not "hordes of enemies with machine guns" as you purport. Otherwise basic enemies use pitchforks, hatchets, dynamite, etc.

In regards to hordes... what exactly do you expect when a small populace gets infected? To deal with only 1-2 enemies at any given time? That's stupid. Even in the original RE games, logic would dictate that the infection would spread and there would be exponential growth. However, that's not how Capcom depicted it. Likely due to hardware limitations. I mean I don't think it's any small coincidence that most the enemies in the original RE games are slow moving enemies...

You don't seem to know what you're talking about, and I wouldn't doubt it if you haven't played RE4. The real irony is you bring up people who get up in arms about RE4, but it could be argued the people who get the most upset about the original RE games vs RE4 are the "diehard original RE fans". I like the original RE games, more than most games, but half the stuff you have said or alluded to is just nonsense.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Morives vivir ... morives vivir ...

daejo ... yenimataa!!

MATALOOOOOOO!!!
The villagers and zealots in RE4 are the epitome of creepy. Beat RE4 5x over the years, and even with all the ammo and powerful weaponry, I never feel comfortable around them. It’s constant tension in RE4, and the scarce areas where you actually are safe are so gloomy, dreadful, or still that it seems ominous even being there. It’s a brilliant game through and through, RE4 is easily a top 10 game of all time
So help me understand, what is exactly the ”true Resident Evil” element that RE4 hasn’t?

Because anyone with functioning eyes and brain can see that classic RE had turned into a real estate catalogue of early 1900s mansions with a very convenient underground lab, inhabited by zombies and full to the brim with stupidly repetitive puzzles. That is the true leitmotiv of classic RE. So much so, that Code Veronica had three fucking mansions.

How anyone would still want to find 4 thingamajigs to fit into a panel or rotate a 3D object in the menu to find a conveniently hidden key/gem/whatever with an 8-slot limited inventory, in the mid 2000s, after six games that all felt the same, is beyond me.

And please, RE4 isn’t scary? The maze garden with the dogs was still phenomenally tense even after 6 runs of the game. Salazar’s right arm? Invisible enemies in the water? The Regenerators?
As someone who finished RE4, RE5, RE6 before finishing any of the oldschool Resident Evil games, I think the older classics allowed the player to be more immersed in the ordeal. It actually feels like you're a part of a twisted death trap where there's little to no hope of surviving let alone, escaping. The enclosed environments are everything. The tank controls and camera angles heighten the fight or flight reaction when playing as they greatly increase chances of getting attacked or killed. I love the newer additions, especially RE4, but RE4 provided an entirely different experience. Most of the game takes place outside with more room to navigate, compared to being trapped inside mostly in the classic older titles. Village = ~95% outside / Castle = ~90% inside / Island = ~85-90% outside whereas the other ones were more claustrophobic and it was guaranteed you're going to be face to face with these B.O.W.s in close quarters. I think that's what a lot of the fans are meaning to say when it's "not a Resident Evil game" because besides that, RE4 has everything else and more. It's just different in what kind of experience it brought. Leon brought some lighthearted humor, and the game covered a bit more ground it seemed, taking place mostly at some undisclosed rural village in Spain, but it's probably not much off from what
Claire Redfield had to deal with in Resident Evil Code: Veronica given that both Leon and Claire had traveled by sea / in air, respectively, to reach another area in order to complete their mission

Kokoloko85

RE4 haters in a nutshell.
Im not a hater you just cant read.

Button bashing running away from a boulder is not QTE...
So not the same thing

The puzzles sucked and limited

There was no areas you were taking keys and unloing rooms and backtracking much like the mansions, train, police station etc. Not that hard to comprehend...

No ink ribbons

just accept its not the classic formula and its more lile RE5 you cry babies

Kokoloko85

Only ONE mini boss had a machine gun in RE4. Not "hordes of enemies with machine guns" as you purport. Otherwise basic enemies use pitchforks, hatchets, dynamite, etc.

In regards to hordes... what exactly do you expect when a small populace gets infected? To deal with only 1-2 enemies at any given time? That's stupid. Even in the original RE games, logic would dictate that the infection would spread and there would be exponential growth. However, that's not how Capcom depicted it. Likely due to hardware limitations. I mean I don't think it's any small coincidence that most the enemies in the original RE games are slow moving enemies...

You don't seem to know what you're talking about, and I wouldn't doubt it if you haven't played RE4. The real irony is you bring up people who get up in arms about RE4, but it could be argued the people who get the most upset about the original RE games vs RE4 are the "diehard original RE fans". I like the original RE games, more than most games, but half the stuff you have said or alluded to is just nonsense.
Have you played Re4?
More than just a boss using a machine gun lol...

This isnt a boss, its normal Enemies with guns, tazzers and shield ffs... thats not a classic RE formula lol.
Have you played the originals?

No its not hardware limitations it was a design choice to avoid enemies, ammo be scarce and not suplex enemies and take there amoo...

I dont think you know what your talking about.
RE4 went away from the formula and is more like RE5 and 6.
Combat wise.
Level design wise and gameplay and story wise RE4 strays from the originals.
I like the originals more but I played and loved Re4 when it came out. I love RE5 too.

All Im saying is RE4 broke from the formula of the originals. Even the game creators say it.

Anyone that watches that video above and thinks it plays like RE1 - Code Veronica is retarded and Im not gonna reply to lol. You all probably played RE4 and 5 before the originals...

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Im gonna start a play through of RE4 now and see how it keeps the classic RE formula like alot you guys say lol.

RE2 remake is an example. New tech, more zombies but keeps the combat approach to the classics, scarce and careful. Not like RE4,5,6 lol

I think the RE4 fans need to calm down.

RE4 was not a true RE game. It was an action game. It had a fucking gunsmith and round house kicks to Zombies and whatever the fuck else.

Also, people are getting really hung up on the whole over the shoulder didn't ruin the franchise because look RE2 remake thing.

Yes. RE2 remake used that perspective and it worked. Why? Because it still retained the survival horror, slow atmosphere, and puzzles/mechanics of the OG games.

RE4 in comparison literally took everything that RE is about at its core and threw it out in replacement of a B movie action game that was linear as fuck with fuck all to do with what makes survival horror, survival horror. And then as a result RE 5 and 6 happened. Both critical and commercial failures. You can thank RE4 for that dark period of Capcoms history.

People need to stop being fan boys and act like RE4 was the second coming and saved the franchise. It didn't. It nearly destroyed it and Capcoms reputation which they only just saved with RE2 remake and RE7.

I stand by my OP and all my previous arguments defending it made in this thread.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Personally that’s how I feel about RE7, I don’t like first person games and thanks to RE7, most mainline RE games gonna be in first person from now on.

RE4 was not a true RE game. It was an action game. It had a fucking gunsmith and round house kicks to Zombies and whatever the fuck else.

Also, people are getting really hung up on the whole over the shoulder didn't ruin the franchise because look RE2 remake thing.

Yes. RE2 remake used that perspective and it worked. Why? Because it still retained the survival horror, slow atmosphere, and puzzles/mechanics of the OG games.

RE4 in comparison literally took everything that RE is about at its core and threw it out in replacement of a B movie action game that was linear as fuck with fuck all to do with what makes survival horror, survival horror. And then as a result RE 5 and 6 happened. Both critical and commercial failures. You can thank RE4 for that dark period of Capcoms history.

People need to stop being fan boys and act like RE4 was the second coming and saved the franchise. It didn't. It nearly destroyed it and Capcoms reputation which they only just saved with RE2 remake and RE7.

I stand by my OP and all my previous arguments defending it made in this thread.
"RE4 fans need to calm down"....

... then proceeds to sound not calm at all. Seems like you're projecting.

You've been presented with counter arguments to your initial post and instead of defending them on merits, you go on a hissy fit because the thread has more or less backfired on you.

Come on, you can do better :messenger_sunglasses:

PS: Happy New Year! :messenger_bicep:

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
Ahhh. I see it's edited now.

RE7 is barely an RE game. Few very loose connections that lets be honest, have been thrown in to tack the name on.

Saying REmake 3 is better than 4 is pretty funny. As overrated I find 4, it's better than REmake 3 by a country mile.
I have to agree with RE7, it didn’t feel like a regular RE game.

You've been presented with counter arguments to your initial post and instead of defending them on merits, you go on a hissy fit because the thread has more or less backfired on you.

Yeah, I am with IC. You can't say a hugely successful, hugely popular, beloved game is a "mistake" and not expect people to respond. OP, you have your opinion, other people have theirs. RE4 is a fucking masterpiece, as far as I am concerned. Tonal shifts aren't necessarily the end of the world in long running series.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
OP, not only are you wrong, you're retarded and should be ashamed of yourself.

To be honest I'm actually happy with the way the thread has gone, I mean yeah, there have been some immature idiots resorting to personal insults, but if you ignore those man children, there's been people agreeing with me and also I've had decent debates with others who don't agree with me.

Backfire isn't a word I'd use for the thread.

Also if you go back a few pages I literally had a huge debate with someone on here, and we both debated each others arguments. However I'm not going to repeat pages and pages of my arguments on my points when all anyone has to do is go back a few pages.

Clearly you didn't do this, otherwise you would have seen that I did defend my argument over about 3 pages.

Last edited:
Yeah, I am with IC. You can't say a hugely successful, hugely popular, beloved game is a "mistake" and not expect people to respond. OP, you have your opinion, other people have theirs. RE4 is a fucking masterpiece, as far as I am concerned. Tonal shifts aren't necessarily the end of the world in long running series.

Exactly. Not to mention that the "And then as a result RE 5 and 6 happened. Both critical and commercial failures" part of his post is objectively wrong, on multiple fronts. RE5 and RE6 are two of the highest selling entries in the franchise:

The Metacritic for RE5 is usually around the mid-80s, which is far from a "critical failure."

Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean you have to make up incorrect things about it. RE5 and RE6 are not my favorites within the franchise, but they had a place and I'm glad I got to play RE5 (still need to make my way to RE6, haven't played it yet).

To be honest I'm actually happy with the way the thread has gone, I mean yeah, there have been some immature idiots resorting to personal insults, but if you ignore those man children, there's been people agreeing with me and also I've had decent debates with others who don't agree with me.

Backfire isn't a word I'd use for the thread.

But it's the word I'm using.

If you're happy with the way the thread has been going, your initial response today definitely didn't seem like it. And yes, ignore the people resorting to insults and weak arguments. That's a given.

Too early in 2021 for you to already be getting worked up, bro :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Let's debate away! After all, isn't that what a forum is for? Cheers!

just accept its not the classic formula and its more lile RE5 you cry babies
You are having trouble accepting it, we're fine over on this side.
The series were dying and needed a change. Change came in a form of one of the best videogames ever.
You can wollow in your bitterness over how Resident Evil didn't die of stagnation like Silent Hill, just don't try and spin it as an objective flaw, kthxbye.

CuNi

RE4 is literally among the top 3 RE games I've played so no op, it might be mistake for you, for me one of the best things that happened to RE.

But it's the word I'm using.

If you're happy with the way the thread has been going, your initial response today definitely didn't seem like it. And yes, ignore the people resorting to insults and weak arguments. That's a given.

Too early in 2021 for you to already be getting worked up, bro :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Let's debate away! After all, isn't that what a forum is for? Cheers!

At the core of why I feel so strongly about this is because growing up in the golden era of survival horror, SH series, OG RE etc, I just always saw RE4 as a massive departure and a critical mistake.

Now Dead Space is one of the best arguments to the evolution of survival horror while retaining what the genre is known for at its core.

RE4 went too far away from that and the IP only started to recover with RE7 and the modern remakes.

If RE4 had made the changes it did, and yet retained what RE stands for, survival horror, we would be having a very different argument.

The series were dying and needed a change. Change came in a form of one of the best videogames ever.
You can wollow in your bitterness over how Resident Evil didn't die of stagnation like Silent Hill, just don't try and spin it as an objective flaw, kthxbye.

At the core of why I feel so strongly about this is because growing up in the golden era of survival horror, SH series, OG RE etc, I just always saw RE4 as a massive departure and a critical mistake.

Now Dead Space is one of the best arguments to the evolution of survival horror while retaining what the genre is known for at its core.

RE4 went too far away from that and the IP only started to recover with RE7 and the modern remakes.

If RE4 had made the changes it did, and yet retained what RE stands for, survival horror, we would be having a very different argument.

I'm happy you feel strongly; if you didn't, this would be a boring conversation. So hang on to your opinion and let's talk about it.

I'm going to joke real quick that Dead Space was possibly the absolutely worst possible example you could've given. As if the RE4 influence wasn't immediately and directly obvious, take it directly from the horse's (creator's) mouth. From the Wikipedia article about Dead Space: "Creator Glen Schofield wanted to make the most frightening horror game he could imagine, drawing inspiration from the video game Resident Evil 4 ..." So you could argue that Dead Space happened the way it did, and played the way it did, precisely because of RE4. Not to mention how I've anecdotally seen Dead Space called "RE4 in space."

The reason I quoted Mediocre Arachno-Lad Mediocre Arachno-Lad was because (strong wording aside) he made a fantastic point: " how Resident Evil didn't die of stagnation like Silent Hill..." I'm gonna expand on this since the crux of your argument is that RE4 represents everything that "is not Resident Evil."

Video game series need to evolve. Otherwise, like mentioned, they get stale and players get bored with the formula, and the series has a real chance to die. By your rationale, I could argue that Super Mario 64 was, at the time of its release, "not a real Mario game." It didn't have long-standing Mario staples: No timer, no flagpole, got rid of the tight platforming in favor of exploration, etc. Yet, Super Mario 64 is one of the absolutely most important entries not just in the Mario series, but a watershed moment in video games, period. Its importance cannot be overstated. And it gave way to Sunshine, to the Galaxy games, to Odyssey in the Mario series, and revolutionized movement in a 3D plane for the rest of the industry. Are those not "real" Mario games? I'd say they are as real as the NES trilogy or Super Mario World.

In fact, the New Super Mario Bros titles have shown that the "2D-plane, timer, flagpole" formula is starting to get stale. (Actually, they started to get stale back in the Super Mario World days, which is why they needed to go to the 3D space in SM64).

MacReady13

I strongly disagree with the OP and many in this thread and personally have Resi 4 as my no.1 game of all time! And this is coming from someone who adores the original Resi games on PS1 and Dreamcast. I think it was the change needed for the franchise.
I loved the perspective change. The setting. The characters. The atmosphere. The weapons. The corny dialogue. Everything about this game is, to me, pure perfection. It never gets old and I just love this game so much.

Kokoloko85

You are having trouble reading. I never said the series wasnt in trouble or RE4 wasnt a great game.

I just said its not like the classic RE Formula and RE 4, 5 and 6 are more similar to each other than RE4 is to RE1 - Code Veronica
Ive actually just started playing 4 again today thanks to this thread, and theres more enemies and type writers in the first hour than there are in the entire RE1 game lol.

Clearly you guys arent fine because you guys keep trying to convince everyone its one of the best games and not accept its completely different to RE1-Code Veronica. Some people prefer the original games and the model they follow, its pretty simple And theres nothign wrong with it. Just like there are probably more people who love RE4 but in the end people crave the Classic games. RE 2 Remake is completely different to RE4.

Last edited:

OrtizTwelve

Stupid post. RE4 when launched originally on GameCube went on to be a massive success and the few people that are mad about it are just autistic neckbeards still living in 1997.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
yeah.. not really. I love RE4 but it's not scary at all. It is very intense though.

Stupid post. RE4 when launched originally on GameCube went on to be a massive success and the few people that are mad about it are just autistic neckbeards still living in 1997.

Well done for contributing absolutely nothing to the conversation and making yourself out to be an ignorant, hateful prick in the process. Grow up.

Last edited:

Dr_Salt

RE4 actually did save the franchise. Back then higher ups at Capcom were very displeased by the lackluster sales of some of the titles and Mikami was literally told that if RE4 wasn't a success they were canning the series.

On the other hand, RE7 is still the shittiest RE game ever made. And before you say anything I'm not saying its a bad game, its a shit RE game. I still don't know what they were thinking with their discount texas chainsaw massacre vibe and FP view. Unfortunately RE8 seems to be going the same retarded path.

Dr_Salt

Even if RE7 is a bad RE game it's still better than that heap of shit pile 5 and 6 were.
If RE7 is bad what the heck are those in relation?

RE5 and 6 are the lowest of the low. In fact that is one of the reasons RE7 was received so well. The series was in the absolute shitter and after that literally anything that had a semblance to old RE titles would be better than RE5-6.

HF2014

Agree with you OP. Finished the first 3, RE4, the beginning entertain me a bit, but never finish it and all sequel after were just shit, it became something else after the 3rd, which im not a fan.

Top Bottom