• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's get ready to preorder! Xbox series

Which box

• Total voters

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
giphy.gif

Finally got one on AMAZON!
Thank you!! ❤

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Got an amazon order in through the smile link that was posted!

McHuj

I got one on Amazon, but is this like one of those: "Well let you pre-order more than we have stock and send it to you eventually" types of pre-orders.

All I get when I click the Amazon link are fucking dogs, I hate dogs. I'm a cat person dude. Don't let my gf hear that though. I'm just going to go have lunch and forget about it. I'll get a Series X next time.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Let's hope the Amazon PS5 issue doesn't rear it's head. A bunch of people who ordered received e-mails stating that they actually may not be getting one around release. If that happens with both consoles, they deserve the paddle.

soulbait

I'm not attempting to order the Xbox Series X or S, because I don't want either of them. However, I've been reading through this thread and visiting online retailers and I think that it's ridiculous that the sites haven't implemented measures to deal with the heavy traffic that they should have expected as well as the likelihood that scalpers would try to snag consoles via bots. It's as if they don't care.

As someone who makes ecommerce websites for a living, I can tell you it is extremely hard to handle any spike in traffic like this. Even with planning a head of time, servers can only handle so much. It is not just the webserver either, you have your cache servers and database servers getting nailed as well, while trying to keep other parts of the store still running. You can have the best AWS ELB setup you can imagine, and still have issues with a huge traffic spike all at once. Computers can only handle so many requests at a time. It is a hard thing to solve.

I think some sort of queue system for this big releases could help, but in the end I am not sure if the money investment to build that is worth it for these large stores. The margins on the consoles are not large and they will get their money either way. Why invest money to make it easier for customers in these once every so often events, when they will sell out either way and still get the same amount of money? It sucks for us, but it is the reality of it.

Best Buy can seriously get fucked. Absolutely disastrous for both launches lol.

Had intended to get both PS5 and Series X from them, ended up with Target and Amazon. Upside is I was planning to use gift cards there, so now I guess I will just have to use them upgrade my Sonos Arc to surrounds and sub lol.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Amazon definitely went down so who knows, maybe they just let in a wave and will sort it out after lol.

As someone who makes ecommerce websites for a living, I can tell you it is extremely hard to handle any spike in traffic like this. Even with planning a head of time, servers can only handle so much. It is not just the webserver either, you have your cache servers and database servers getting nailed as well, while trying to keep other parts of the store still running. You can have the best AWS ELB setup you can imagine, and still have issues with a huge traffic spike all at once. Computers can only handle so many requests at a time. It is a hard thing to solve.

I think some sort of queue system for this big releases could help, but in the end I am not sure if the money investment to build that is worth it for these large stores. The margins on the consoles are not large and they will get their money either way. Why invest money to make it easier for customers in these once every so often events, when they will sell out either way and still get the same amount of money? It sucks for us, but it is the reality of it.

Now that I am sorted I can feel a little more sympathetic. Not much, but a little. It seems like the payment processors get overwhelmed too? Definitely need a queue, or some kind of pre-preorder. Not that shit Sony pulled with invites for some special people. Get fucked. I knew I was buying Series X before they even announced, why should I have to scramble at a specific time with bots and scalpers?

DerFuggler

It's kinda been a shitshow; (~1 hour post pre-orders opening)

Best Buy: Pre-order pages haven't shown up yet. Coming Soon.
Amazon: Same as Best Buy but product page appeared with "Not Available".
Target: Added the product to my cart. Cart was empty. Tried adding it again... Error message: "The maximum number of this item is already in your cart." Cart still empty...
Gamestop: Same as Target.
XBOX.com: This is where I got one.

Good luck all!

Top Bottom