• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's look back: Grand Theft Auto San Andreas

potam

Banned
Oh lord, the whole stupid thug life theme had to be brought up in here. We know what that's really about.

It's still the best GTA released for me eve V left out stuff that was in San Andreas. I was really hoping when I heard that V was going back to San Andreas it was going to be the entire state and not just Los Santos and that country town that Trevor's from.

SA had a huge earthquake and now it's just an island floating in the ocean.

or something

And isn't Trevor from Canada?

Matty77

Jesus Christ, can we discuss the fucking game.

So flight school was a pain in the ass, huh?
only thing I hated more was RC airplane mission for Zero.

Funnily enough though, I loved flight school in 5, enough to gold medal every lesson with all three characters.

Z..

To be quite honest, I don't consider the PS2 GTAs to be good games at all. Or IV, for that matter.

1, 2, London, Chinatown Wars and V are where it's at.

Dennis

Banned
Probably my favorite GTA in terms of gameworld and gameplay. Vice City is still top dog in sheer atmosphere.

Disclaimer: I have yet to play GTA V

God do I miss this game. I remember being in the 6th grade and me and my brother wanting to desperately play the game, but had to wait due to our friends breaking our PS2.

We took it down to our neighbors house and played it for a few hours. I remember my friend crashing into a taxi and the taxi driver running after him with a shovel. Good times...

abracadaver

It was amazing when it came out (I only played the PC version)

I remember some people saying that the map in V is bigger than in SA? I only remember SA being huge and I loved the diverse terrain and multiple cities.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Excellent gameplay and a MASSIVE map, but I just don't like the setting. Boyz n Da Hood type gangsta settings aren't my thing. Vice City >>>>> for that reason.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Was the only 3D GTA I haven't finished, it felt a bit bloated to me. I really didn't like the RPG elements.

GTAV came close, but I don't think Vice City will ever be bettered.

Soodanim

It'd be a lot fucking better to replay if my options weren't limited to the ps2 version (if there's a way to unlock the framerate in PCSX2, hollaatchaboy) and the fucking awful current Steam release that crashes more than anything else I own and earned an uninstallation soon after I installed it.

chrixter

SA felt like a generational leap over III/VC. Much improved controls and mechanics (in VC you can't even do basic stuff like rotate the camera or aim freely with weapons).

Also, this is the last GTA where you could jog without having to hold a dedicated run button, which means your right thumb was free to rotate the camera while running. In IV and V you can only walk with the left stick, and if you want to jog/run you have to press A or X. Terrible design decision.

jerry1594

It's a good game, but yeah overhyped. Still the insanely detailed and dedicated RP servers on pc make it top 3 in the series.

Kabouter

I actually replayed San Andreas a few months back, and man, it's still such a great game. Just the sheer amount of content and variety of it is amazing. Also probably my favourite writing and characters of all of GTA, Toreno is still the best. That soundtrack too, so good.

Still my favourite game in the series, though I'm still downloading GTA V.

Same here. Just couldn't click with the whole thug life theme. Vice City though...

The thing I don't get about these comments is that there really is no "thug life" theme in San Andreas once you finish the prologue act and leave Grove St.

Karak

We just spent a good deal of time discussing this in a podcast. SA is simply amazing in so many ways and even moreso than past games the voice cast was so large and varied that the game resonated with me. As someone who takes voice acting and sound/music just as serious as gameplay and graphics. The game was a true pioneer in many ways.

Foffy

Banned
Still my favourite game in the series, though I'm still downloading GTA V.

The thing I don't get about these comments is that there really is no "thug life" theme in San Andreas once you finish the prologue act and leave Grove St.

It kind of comes back at the end, and the campaign seems a little consistent about it.

Yup, fantastic game.

The last GTA with proper controls and decent physics for both characters and vehicles.

None of this controls like a boat shit that's ruined GTA...

nkarafo

I always thought that the wilderness looked pretty bad even back then. The graphics engine just wasn't capable for such thing, hell Rockstar used to suck at making foliage effects anyway (it was bad even in GTA4) but i guess they hired some people and they improved dramatically when they made RDR and Max Payne 3. And now GTA5 has some of the best looking forests/foliage/wilderness in games.

For that reason, i think SA has aged worse than Vice City. All pre GTA4 games have aged pretty badly though, even the animation is painful to look at.

RP912

Banned
I enjoyed the game for one thing only...and that's cruising down the freeway listening to that new jack swing.

Grove Street reppin though....

antitrop

I don't know why but out of all the GTAs I still prefer GTA3. I was so amazed back then, played it non stop.

I preferred it both for the impact it had (as someone who played GTA 1 and 2 in the 90s, GTA III was everything I thought the series could be at that time) and the general mafioso theme.

Also, GTA III Chatterbox has never been topped. Lazlow was the man, until they turned him into a lame cunt in GTA V.

RP912

Banned
The only GTA I had fun with was Chinatown Wars. I'm probably missing something, though.

You're not the only one. On the real, I had the most fun with the 2d games rather than the 3d ones. Chinatown wars was fun as fuck. I just wish it was a little bit longer.

It was easily my favorite GTA (except Vice City story wise) until GTA V came out and stomped it in every way. After the Heist update added the last thing I was missing from SA (Hydra) combined with the gameplay really aging badly it became obsolete to me. Something a couple years ago I thought I'd never say.

Komo

Banned
I still play San Andreas occasionally to this day. Albeit, usually because of San Andreas Multiplayer, but it's always a blast. I must have put in at least 1,500 hours into that game alone since launch. (Judging by the brief period of time I used Xfire and managed to log 630 hours of San Andreas)

I always say GTA 3 is my favorite (I just love its atmosphere), but San Andreas is secretly my number one GTA title. It just couldn't be topped. It has everything, and it really set the standard for what an open-world game should be like at the time.

SliChillax

I wish I could replay it but it has a bug on PC that cars start to shake left and right while driving. I tried formating Windows etc but nothing works.

Persona7

Banned
I loved SA, it is the only GTA game I finished.

Was the stupid RC airplane mission even required to beat the game? I did it eventually but I tried again when I replayed the game recently and got really mad.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Those remote control missions are a testament to how awesome the game is.

That bullshit would completely ruin most titles

Komo

Banned
Nope. They eventually patched the infamous "Supply Lines..." mission (Greatest Hits on PS2), but I played the game at PS2 release and fuck that.

I knew the missions were tough, but I never found them anywhere near as difficult as other people seem to make them out to be.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I knew the missions were tough, but I never found them anywhere near as difficult as other people seem to make them out to be.

The unpatched version isn't the hardest thing I've done, by any stretch. The problem was the combination of difficult and not fun. At least for me. It felt like a horrible chore

Blueingreen

I loved SA, it is the only GTA game I finished.

Was the stupid RC airplane mission even required to beat the game? I did it eventually but I tried again when I replayed the game recently and got really mad.

I downloaded both SA and VC just for old times, everything was going great untill I reached the Zero mission, and the even more frustrating "The Driver" in Vice City, rage quited.

Iacobellis

Pretty great back in the day but this is a case of not being able to go home again, at least for me. After playing V, I just found playing SA to be excruciating. Everything is so clunky and awkward, from the on-foot movement to the driving to the combat. And it can't really use the "it was a different time" excuse, because plenty of other games from 2004 still look and feel great.

I tend to disagree. After playing GTA V, yes the on-foot movement feels terrible, but the driving mechanics are still stellar. Way better than the mess GTA IV was.

I actually replayed San Andreas a few months back, and man, it's still such a great game. Just the sheer amount of content and variety of it is amazing. Also probably my favourite writing and characters of all of GTA, Toreno is still the best. That soundtrack too, so good.
It's RPG like in its scope. Moreso than GTAV. The splitting of the missions into the 5 areas; 3 cities and 2 countryside areas, helped give it this feeling. Like how in an RPG you travel on the world map town by town, GTASA nailed this feeling.

I admit to not being the most skilled of gamers when I was 18.
I 100%d it a few months after release, when I was 13 :p. Plus I limited myself to one mission a day at one point, spending the rest of my daily playtime to do sidemissions. All this talk has got me itching to replay it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
After finally playing GTA V I can say that San Andreas is still my favorite. Probably one of the most hilarious stories and it never takes itself too seriously. That was a big reason I disliked GTA IV. It played it too straight.

I like GTA V a lot, but felt a little shorted by the world being so much smaller than San Andreas. But like San Andreas it goes over the top with it's story and I enjoyed it.

Top Bottom