• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's predict games that will be hard to find/expensive in the near future

Madao

I always thought Zack and Wiki would for some reason but nope.

Now I'd guess Bayonetta 2 and Hyrule Warriors.

It's different now with digital games though. I don't think much of any will be really really sought after like some used to be.

just wait until those digital game servers go down and the physical copies' prices will explode.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Nothing, due to digital stores.

Not really true. Look at what happened with Marvel vs Capcom 3, for example: widely popular title, but gone forever from all digital stores due to licencing issues.

You will always be able to play almost any game but, of course, I'm talking strictly legally. Pirated copies are a different matter altogether.

Wildean

In PAL regions: Cave Story 3D with some sort of hologram cover is hard to find. A Shadow's Tale on Wii. Metroid Prime Trilogy and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn already collectible. Maybe Darksiders II on Wii U, since THQ went bust shortly after (still relatively easy to find now though). Need for Speed: Most Wanted on Wii U, as it proved most unwanted with consumers (apparently the best console version though).

I guess of current releases that actually limited edition (GAME exclusive?) Bayonetta 2; Smash with the GC adapter; Ultimate NES Remix on 3DS.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
X Men Destiny ?

If discs of that game still exist somewhere ..

because I dont think its available digitally on either console's store front anymore.

cptodin

In PAL regions: Cave Story 3D with some sort of hologram cover is hard to find. A Shadow's Tale on Wii. Metroid Prime Trilogy and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn already collectible. Maybe Darksiders II on Wii U, since THQ went bust shortly after (still relatively easy to find now though). Need for Speed: Most Wanted on Wii U, as it proved most unwanted with consumers (apparently the best console version though).

I guess of current releases that actually limited edition (GAME exclusive?) Bayonetta 2; Smash with the GC adapter; Ultimate NES Remix on 3DS.

I have a hard time finding a new copy at a reasonable price.

High WiiU game prices are actively dissuading me from even getting the console.

Nintendo's first party titles usually stay full price for a very long time. Why? Because they know we'll come crawling to them for a Smash Bros. or Mario Kart fix. And they're right.

The non Xenoblade Wii rpgs will probably go up in price at some point

The Last Story and such

I'll pick just 3

The Last Story
Tatsunoko vs Capcom
Project X Zone

I still have an unopened copy of The Last Story. Need to play it eventually...
I should pick up a copy of TvC while I can as well. I love that game.

X Men Destiny ?

If discs of that game still exist somewhere ..

because I dont think its available digitally on either console's store front anymore.

I've seen copies of that in many Gamestops. Weren't the reviews for it generally meh anyway?

Wildean

I have a hard time finding a new copy at a reasonable price.

Me too. Resisted the pull of expensive ebay auctions until I finally found a copy in CEX (bet they do a HD remake just to make all my searching pointless). Rare find though. Got Fire Emblem: RD really cheap out of GameStop preowned shelf too....who trades this stuff in....

SerTapTap

Is it a Nintendo game TapTap likes that isn't Pokemon or animal crossing? It will be expensive and have a very low print run. See star fox 3d, Kirby rtd, xenoblade, pikmin 3, chibi robo, probably soon to be Kirby rainbow curse and yoshis wooly world

Bayonetta 2 has the highest chance of going OOP. Everyone who wanted a copy already bought one, and all future buyers can go through the eShop.

I'd put a second vote in for Wii Sports Club. Copies are starting to dry up around here, and Best Buy's put it on clearance already...bad sign for a first party Nintendo game.

NSLU is already OOP but there are copies everywhere, plus it was bundled. I could see it at least holding its value.

One that I've been trying to get is the 360 version of PES 2015. It's OOS everywhere I look, but it could just be the holiday rush. Still, it could be OOP to push the new gen versions.

All of the low print run collector games like RCRDX and CoH2G will obviously be worth a lot.

SCReuter

I remember waiting around for Kirby's Return to Dreamland to get a price reduction and instead it just disappeared from store shelves while still tagged at $49.99. Sad times.

Wii Sports Club, Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad, and NES Remix Pack are currently out of stock on Amazon. Hopefully it's only temporary and more shipments are on the way, but I just don't know with Nintendo anymore. :-o

doesn't digital distribution kill the hard to find theory? if they release now they will most likely release physically and digitally correct? the newer the game is the less harder to find it will be and if the game is old and has enough demand from the fans it will be released digitally most likely.

My brain hurts trying to figure out what games these are.

Games that are serialized or that have announced print numbers, like 2,000 copies of RCRDX or ~2,600 of CoH2G. They were meant to be limited collectors items from the start. It's the games released to retail that require some guesswork.

prateeko

I remember waiting around for Kirby's Return to Dreamland to get a price reduction and instead it just disappeared from store shelves while still tagged at $49.99. Sad times.

Wii Sports Club, Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad, and NES Remix Pack are currently out of stock on Amazon. Hopefully it's only temporary and more shipments are on the way, but I just don't know with Nintendo anymore. :-o

I don't think Amazon gets a great stock of nintendo games and they move a lot of volume. Nintendo and Amazon aren't on the best of terms and Amazon always stands to profit from third party resellers. Those titles aren't too hard to find in gamestop, best buy, walmart, or target

Xis

I don't think such a thing can happen anymore,in the age of digital gaming.
Now that every game has a digital version,people will not be willing to pay ridiculous prices for rare physical copies.

Collectors will always want physical copies. The NES World Championship cartridge isn't worth thousands of dollars because people are dying to play it.

Digital availability might curb prices a bit, but even that is debatable - Earthbound is now available on the VC but the carts are still very pricy.

As for the OP's question, typically items that are in short supply but have long-term appeal are the most valuable. Metroid Prime Trilogy will certainly grow in price. I would bet a lot of GBA / DS / 3DS games will become valuable if they are complete (since GameStop often throws away boxes). Maybe the PSP too since it sold pretty well in the US.

Edit: Re-read OP; it asks about 'near future'; so, uh, I dunno?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
EVERY NINTENDO GAME EVER MADE.

I'm serious, everything Nitnendo releases is gold, so much so that unlike normal games, the prices just go up instead of going down.

I can't tell you how much i've tried to get wind waker gamecube and star fox (the second GC one) and ended up having to buckle cause they were like 100 dollars on amazon used. It was the same with Zenoblade and also Pandora hearts, as well as the fire emblem GC games, which i really regret not picking up at release.

SCReuter

I don't think Amazon gets a great stock of nintendo games and they move a lot of volume. Nintendo and Amazon aren't on the best of terms and Amazon always stands to profit from third party resellers. Those titles aren't too hard to find in gamestop, best buy, walmart, or target

Hopefully that's the case, although Wii Sports Club has been unavailable at BestBuy.com, Walmart.com, and Target.com for a number of weeks now. NES Remix Pack is sold out on the first two websites, as well. It wouldn't surprise me if these two games saw a limited retail run due to them initially being eShop titles.

Grief.exe

I keep waffling back and forth on picking up Pikmin 3.
I just bought essentially the entirety of the Wii U's library, so I am far from needing the game right away. At the same time, I'm worried the price will inflate catastrophically.

I'm serious, everything Nitnendo releases is gold, so much so that unlike normal games, the prices just go up instead of going down.

I can't tell you how much i've tried to get wind waker gamecube and star fox (the second GC one) and ended up having to buckle cause they were like 100 dollars on amazon used. It was the same with Zenoblade and also Pandora hearts, as well as the fire emblem GC games, which i really regret not picking up at release.

I Just gave up on trying to track down a Gamecube copy of Wind Waker for emulation purposes. My primary mode of collecting is through Craigslist, and often times there are overpriced copies that get snagged within minutes.
Grabbed the WiiU version. Won't be able to run it in 4K, but I get a streamlined game with off tv play.

rjc571

Banned
The Wii version of Sky Knight Rodea, being sold exclusively as a first print pack-in bonus for the Wii U version. The game is unlikely to be released outside of Japan and the Wii version appears to be a better game, as it's the version that Yuji Naka envisioned and developed. I predict it will be worth a bajillion dollars within the next few years.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I don't think such a thing can happen anymore,in the age of digital gaming.
Now that every game has a digital version,people will not be willing to pay ridiculous prices for rare physical copies.

Not true, the PC Engine version of Rondo of Blood is still going for $120+ on Ebay, while you can pick it up on Wii Virtual Console for $9. Ditto for Radiant Silvergun which is available for $10 on XBLA. There will always be a demand for physical over digital, as long as you have people like me who prefer the physical to the digital.

Megatron

Maybe assassins Creed Rogue? It had what must be the smallest print run of any ac game. Of course if it gets ported to ps4/xb1, then maybe not.

High WiiU game prices are actively dissuading me from even getting the console.

What? On day 1 games are almost always around 45-50$ if not less. How's that expensive?

But clearly the more you wait the more expensive it will be to play the games you didn't think were justifying the purchase of the system in the first place...
I have Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Bayonetta First Print edition which are examples cited in this thread for being quite rare and the most expensive one is Bayonnetta (60€ ~70$).

GoodlifeX

This. Nintendo games hold their value better than any other. They have rabid fanbase, age well, and don't really discount their stuff much or often. They also seems to make too few rather than too much...

antibolo

Banned
Pikmin 3? No.

Any game that is available at digital will never go up in price more than the initial MSRP. Unless it's a deliberately rare limited item like RCR or some LEs.

Don't look at Amazon for evaluating current value of something, it's filled with strange third party sellers who vastly overprice everything.

(Emulated re-releases don't count, I'm talking digital releases on the same system it was made for)

dangatang

Neo Member
Afrika on the PS3. I don't think very many copies were printed, and already selling in the $80-$100 range for new for the US version.

Afrika on the PS3. I don't think very many copies were printed, and already selling in the $80-$100 range for new for the US version.

That was released five years ago though, and the low print run has been known for some time.

A couple more that I've been noticing: NBA 2K13 and Hello Kitty Kart Kruisers for the Wii U. Both are hard to find new/OOP and used copies are scarce.

cassidyarch

Neo Member
I had a rough time finding Wind Waker HD in stores this month. It keeps dropping in and out of stock at Amazon.

Started giving me flashbacks of Metroid Prime Trilogy. It was everywhere in stores--then suddenly it wasn't.

random25

At least for Wii U stuff you have the eShop.

Depending on how collectors value Wii U discs, some will still go up in the long run especially if they're on a limited print run. Though having them on the e-shop guarantees that if physical discs go up, you can go digital if cheaper. On my nearby shop for example, SMT4 physical still is priced at $40 and has a used price of $30 even though the e-shop is discounted it to $20 or something.

Mentok

Banned
To those saying that if the game is up on eShop, it won't be expensive, there are exceptions to this. Earthbound is still very expensive to find compared to just buying it on the eShop. I can see some games picking up in price. Xenoblade X and SMT x FE (if it still exists) will probably be niche games with low print. I wouldn't be surprised if the value goes up.

I SAY GOD DAMN I can't believe how much Hello Kitty Kruisers is going for. Should have picked it up in the spring for $16 when I had the chance.

I think games have to be good/loved to be expensive later on unless they're legitimately rare as in under 100 copies.

So project x zone is a nope.

I disagree to an extent. Many mediocre games on older systems sell for a good bit now, based on just being unique to that system. Hence why I picked Project X Zone.

Top Bottom