• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's predict games that will be hard to find/expensive in the near future

Any of the SEGA games delisted from digital stores in recent memory. That means After Burner Climax, OutRun Online Arcade, maybe Daytona USA HD in a few years...they absolutely need preservation.

MUnited83

For you.
Sold pretty well and is readily available for $20. Don't see how that could possibly compare to any standard low print run game.

Final Fantasy X-2 Vita has no physical release on the west.It's a download code only. There's a english physical release on Asia though, but it's pretty limited.

I think it will most likely be games Nintendo games. The fact that they tend to be released complete and bug free makes the physical disc more valuable. I am pleased I picked up pikmin earlier in the year,though I have not really had the chance to play it yet. Just bought xenoblade chronicles second hand for £45 (eek), probably the most I will spend on a game this year!

Tapejara

Digital distribution doesn't completely eradicate the issue of hard to find games. As others have already pointed out, licensed titles are at a great risk of being delisted from digital storefronts (look at most of Activision's catalog, as well as the Marvel VS. Capcom games). As well, Microsoft and Sony likely aren't going to keep the 360 and PS3 servers running forever, which puts both consoles' entire digital library at risk of being inaccessible - unless the games are re-released for current generation consoles or made available on services like PS Now.

Anyhow, my guesses for hard to find games:

Tales of Hearts R and One Piece: Unlimited World Red (Vita) - These two Vita games were GameStop/EB Games exclusive in North America and likely received a smaller print considering they're both Vita games.

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F 2nd (PS3 and Vita) - The game's predecessor only received a physical release on PS3 outside of Japan. With the first game already becoming hard to find a few short months after release, it's likely that the direct sequel will also suffer a similar fate.

NES Remix (Wii U) - It's a Nintendo game that's not mainline Mario.

Squishy3

I'm actually going to be premature and throw Captain Toad into the mix, at least for physical copies. It was out of stock for a bit on Amazon and third party sellers were charging $48 for it.

Hmmmm maybe I should buy captain toad today since I want to play it and don't wanna miss it

Bayonetta 2 with bayonetta 1 will be rare in a few years

Wow new super Luigi is $43 on amazon , paid $25 release date and traded it in for $20 in august
I've already missed out on $23 , let's see how high it goes

Jockel

Does anyone else have this:
DS2Glam%20shot-8-8-2013.jpg

Cause I do. Keeping it sealed. I'm still really curious to see if my name is actually in the manual.
They did like a kickstarter thing to warrant a print run and each in advance paid preorder got the gold version and supposedly their name in the manual.

Son Of D

Bayonetta 1 Wii U edition.
Kingdom Hearts on 3DS (I think it was only 1 shipment out of Japan and no digital copy at all)

Persona7

Banned
Pikmin 3? No.

Any game that is available at digital will never go up in price more than the initial MSRP. Unless it's a deliberately rare limited item like RCR or some LEs.

Don't look at Amazon for evaluating current value of something, it's filled with strange third party sellers who vastly overprice everything.

(Emulated re-releases don't count, I'm talking digital releases on the same system it was made for)

Pikmin 3 is probably discontinued. Look at the recent ebay sales, all over msrp.

Anything that includes all of the DLC, or DLC that has been delisted. For an example, check out Marvel Ultimate Alliance Gold Edition on the Xbox 360. Some of it's DLC was delisted and the Gold Edition is the only way to get it. eBay prices have shot way up because of this.

I can also see the Wii U turning into a Gamecube situation. A few years after it's discontinued the prices are going to climb steadily higher for it's games, and even 3rd party games are going to start to rise. This happened with the Gamecube. Most GC versions of games will fetch higher prices than the Xbox/PS2 versions, and the first party games go for even more.

Any of the SEGA games delisted from digital stores in recent memory. That means After Burner Climax, OutRun Online Arcade, maybe Daytona USA HD in a few years...they absolutely need preservation.

They don't have and won't get physical versions, which is the entire point of this thread. I'm sure someone has already archived them ala OG Xbox DLC.

and Tales of Vesperia Limited Edition.

That's been out for over five years; the demand for it has already been set. Same for stuff like the Mass Effect CE.

FUN FACT: Clive Barker's Jericho also got an Amazon-exclusive 360 steelbook, and it's harder to find than ToV's. It's just that no one wants it so it's not worth anything. MoH Warfighter too.

Dear God no, that game is everywhere and no one wants it.

I'll throw EDF 2025 into the mix. Pretty sure it only got one print and supplies seem to be drying up at retail.

Tapejara

I'll throw EDF 2025 into the mix. Pretty sure it only got one print and supplies seem to be drying up at retail.

I wonder if low print/high prices would still be a problem should EDF 4.1 release in the West. I can't see anyone but collector's shelling out for the PS360 version when a "definitive" edition is on current gen hardware.

I wonder if low print/high prices would still be a problem should EDF 4.1 release in the West. I can't see anyone but collector's shelling out for the PS360 version when a "definitive" edition is on current gen hardware.

We can only hope.

EDF! EDF! EDF!

I wonder how big the Godzilla print run will be, especially on PS3.

cantona222

Wii Sports Club, Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad, and NES Remix Pack are currently out of stock on Amazon. Hopefully it's only temporary and more shipments are on the way, but I just don't know with Nintendo anymore. :-o

Captain Toad is back in stock in Amazon if anyone is interested.

Megatron

I am concerned that either Hyrule Warriors and especially Bayonetta 2 will become rare at some point. I wonder if I can wait for Bayo to fall to the $29.99 range like Wonderful 101 did? I kind of suspect that Bayo probably had an even lower print run than that game though.

Bumping this since I've found two games that are getting hard to find (in my area at least): Deception IV: Blood Ties and Drakengard 3 for the PS3. They're both still widely available and cheapish online, but I haven't seen a physical copy of Blood Ties since last summer and the only copy of Drakengard 3 that I've seen since launch was the one copy at my Best Buy yesterday. I think that once the online stock dries up they will be worth at least a bit above MSRP.

Top Bottom