• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets remember the GOAT of Design and Marketing ... The PS2

RoboFu

One of the green rats
SInce there seems to but a lot of negative air around PS right now .. I would like to take a quick look back on one of my most favorite console designs of all trime.

1200px-PS2-Versions.jpg

Every decision about the design and marketing of the PS2 was a master class in the fields. One of the most beautiful consoles ever both the launch and slim model and superb. The only consoles I think I have ever just held and looked at many times.

The design was actually taken from an unreleased Atari Falcon micro box computer. This is not a rumor it is actually in old design documents. But of course they added that sony design elegance to really make it striking.

atari+030+falcon+microbox+vs+ps2.jpg

The Black on Blue was cool enough but tying it all in from the highlights to the bottom of the disks themselves was pure genius. And it all stemmed from the most perfect logo to ever be created....

sao-paulo-brazil-april-25-260nw-710460100.jpg

the deep blue with the angular morden font wa simple yet so powerful.
The whole marketing package was just one awesome concept after another. I dont think I have since seen a product tied together so perfectly as the ps2. Just look at the box it came in!

IMG_4534.jpg

Just seeing a stack of these on a floor at circuit city made you take notice. You wanted to buy it without even knowing what it was lol.

I do not know the person or people who nailed that look and marketing but I hope they got the props they deserved.

Last edited:

AGRacing

What a machine.

I spent an hour once looking for a way to put a PS2 styled PS5 logo on the side of the dbrand blacked our PS5.

Those days were the greatest.

I love my PlayStation 2 (and even use it as a DVD player when not playing on it), but I feel like that honor should go to the Nintendo Wii.

a-customer-plays-with-a-nintendo-wii-display-at-a-brand-new-best-buy-BFG88C.jpg

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Rose-tinted glasses about the design part. I don't remember anyone in my offline circle and local gaming magazines claiming that PS2 was "beautiful." It was mostly just unflattering comparisons to the monolith from 2001 or bars of chocolate.

The logo was cool, though.

Last edited:

skit_data

It’s very sleek. Sony could’ve easily just went on with the exact same design throughout all gens with minor variations to the exterior and it would’ve worked great. Timeless design.

I still consider the PlayStation 2 to be one of the best, if not the best console of all time.

I say this is somebody who grew up with a Magnavox Odyssey 2 and Atari 2600.

Last edited:
Thanks Atari for letting Sony use your design template for the PS2. :goog_unsure:
PS1 startup was better.

Disagree, because people combine the disc loading start-up screen with the console start-up screen which is cheating imo. If there's no disc in the console the disc boot doesn't happen iirc. It's iconic to have both next to each other but it's not fair to call the whole thing the startup screen.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Amazing console. It was so hard to get here back in the days. Times before the internet. Annoying as shit it was but quite exciting too.

Thanks Atari for letting Sony use your design template for the PS2. :goog_unsure:

Disagree, because people combine the disc loading start-up screen with the console start-up screen which is cheating imo. If there's no disc in the console the disc boot doesn't happen iirc. It's iconic to have both next to each other but it's not fair to call the whole thing the startup screen.
Believe me, if the console only had the first half you were not starting up anything without turning the console off and giving the disc a good cleaning.

Believe me, if the console only had the first half you were not starting up anything without turning the console off and giving the disc a good cleaning.
Or if you were one of those few people who wanted to hear the soundtrack instead of playing the game which some games let you do with the built-in CD Rom player. That is also one reason to not see that second screen.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Mine got DRE's 4 months after I bought it and Sony made me pay $139 to fix it. Just like launch PS1, the GOAT of cheap disc drives.

At least they gave me my money back when they settled the class action lawsuit. They eventually got it right with the slim.

And if GAF was around at the time, we'd be saying how gaming is crap now and how it was so much better in the SNES and PS1 days.

Just like people 10-20 years from now will be calling this period a great time in gaming with stuff like Elden Ring, Tears of the Kingdom, God of War.

Unknown?

Don't forget the lovely horizontal stand! The first and only one of two consoles to have a horizontal stand(other being PS5).

SirTerry-T

By "Sony design elegance", do you mean needless ridges that served no purpose other than to be really awkward dust collectors?

The Slim, on the other hand, was pure elegance.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

The slim model is one of the most amazing technical marvels I've ever seen in terms of shrinking down a console. It's amazing and cute at the same time, proudly display under the TV.

The color blue being introduced to everything and the Playstation line was also very clever. I never knew it was somehow inspired by the Atari Falcon, always reminded me of the Sharp 68K a little when standing up.

Demigod Mac

Footage from a Playstation 2 launch event.
When a staffer pulls out one of those blue boxes, all hell breaks loose.

Only one month before launch, Sony announced that the expected inventory of 1 million units would be cut in half, so they were extremely hard to come by.
I got extremely lucky - was in my school's computer lab and came across the news that a small Canadian electronics retailer had just put pre-orders on sale.
That was a Halloween to remember.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
And if GAF was around at the time, we'd be saying how gaming is crap now and how it was so much better in the SNES and PS1 days.

Just like people 10-20 years from now will be calling this period a great time in gaming with stuff like Elden Ring, Tears of the Kingdom, God of War.

Gaming was better the snes / genesis days but this thread is about design and marketing. 😎

Top Bottom