• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Show Our Cars!!

Flo_Evans

BRZ

wYPtHUr.jpg

+ CX7

SkxD4CN.jpg

G650 X challenge

bMFnfqy.jpg

Yamaha zuma 125

auAfODo.jpg

Kids wheels

LWLCTE0.jpg

:p

SDCowboy

That's exactly what I did. I went from a 2nd Gen Tacoma TRD Sport to the F150 Lariat with the 2.7 ecoboost. Before I lavish praise on the F150, I want to mention that my Taco was great, and did everything I needed it to do. It was reliable, carried all my shit, bikes, sports gear, etc without any issues. It was just getting a little too small for my growing family and all of their gear.

Here's the best way I can summarize my F150: It feels like I'm driving a truck-Mustang with the 2.7 twin turbo, especially in Sport mode. It was weird at first hearing the turbos spin up and roar like a sports car. With the lighter aluminum frame, the 325HP and 375lbs of torque make that truck move. Of course it also does the truck stuff really well too, which is why I bought it in the first place.

+ This is such a minor thing, but I love the flat payload area in the cab. It seems so simple, but I can't believe other trucks don't do this. They have complicated floor covers, and fold aways. The F150 is already flat. Just put the seats up.

+ Everything is refined. The bed has lighting, the tailgate is dampened with remote access, the cabin is crazy quiet, the ride is really smooth even by car standards.

+ They nailed the seating position. Very comfortable, great view of the road. That's my only real complaint with the Tacoma 2nd and 3rd gens with their low seating position.

+ Mine came with the FX4 package which has the electronic locking rear diff, which I've already used to bail myself out of some nasty snowy-mud. That was something I really liked about the Tacoma TRD Off Roads.

I've had it for a little over 2 years with only 1 minor issue that was fixed in 10 minutes with a computer update. It's a good vehicle.

Oh trust me, I know. I test drove a 2.7 and it blew me away. As did the lariat interior when I sat in it.

My question was largely on the reliability side. Especially coming from a super reliable Tacoma. lol

SDCowboy

Same holds true for Corvette's. Granted my Stingray took a big hit driving it off the lot, it's been holding steady since. Although I got mine last year I'm looking for something else now.

It seems many vehicles today (outside of luxury ones) hold their value much better than they used to. The days of most cars losing like half their value the second they're driven off the lot are gone.

Buying slightly used doesn't seem to be quite the value it once was.

witness

2014 GLI Edition 30 - Bought a couple of weeks ago, extreme buyers remorse set in. It was a compromise car because my wife doesn't like hatchbacks. Now it's had a lot of nagging issues in the two weeks with stupid squealing rear brakes, sunroof getting stuck when we were still in the lot ready to leave with it, a bad alignment by the dealer, and A/C freezing up (here in Florida of all places). I then drove a 2016 GTI last weekend and loved it just as much as I thought. Now I'm devastated I have this thing and immediately $4k underwater.

Not pictured, 2011 Kia Sportage, our old reliable.

It seems many vehicles today (outside of luxury ones) hold their value much better than they used to. The days of most cars losing like half their value the second they're driven off the lot are gone.

It's the prevalence of CPO sales, I think, that helps drive that.

Lorcain

I thought there would be more hot hatch owners. I saw a GTI in here, and I think a Subaru WRX. No Focus RS or Civic Type R owners? The new Type R coming to NA this summer is a first.

I thought there would be more hot hatch owners. I saw a GTI in here, and I think a Subaru WRX. No Focus RS or Civic Type R owners? The new Type R coming to NA this summer is a first.

I'm a hatch man. I've had a Mazdaspeed3, 08 STi hatch, 11 WRX hatch, GTI, Focus ST, and now the Golf R. Love me some practicality with my speed. Bought the SO a vanity and fit it in the back of the R with no issues.

ZOONAMI

Tell that to anyone with a domestic that isn't a truck or a VW. You'd have to be insane to buy a VW new unless it's a golf R imo. Everything else is less than half the price of new within a few years with about 50k miles on them.

ZOONAMI

2014 GLI Edition 30 - Bought a couple of weeks ago, extreme buyers remorse set in. It was a compromise car because my wife doesn't like hatchbacks. Now it's had a lot of nagging issues in the two weeks with stupid squealing rear brakes, sunroof getting stuck when we were still in the lot ready to leave with it, a bad alignment by the dealer, and A/C freezing up (here in Florida of all places). I then drove a 2016 GTI last weekend and loved it just as much as I thought. Now I'm devastated I have this thing and immediately $4k underwater.

Not pictured, 2011 Kia Sportage, our old reliable.

Looks like you got a lemon VW sry mate.

My 2010 tiguan has had 0 problems. VW resale has really been taking a hit lately with the whole emissions thing. Bought my Tiguan for 10k a year ago which was well under blue book and now it's worth like 7k. Crazy.

Gimme your lunch money, Car.
Heh.

I took that picture because we went to eat out at that restaurant and the two minivans hadn't left enough space for anything but a car the size of mine. There are obvious downsides to driving something like a smart ed, but the car is such a perfect fit for my lifestyle.

We bought my wife a 2016 gen 2 Volt, which is a really nice car, and that's the one we take on long trips (obviously) but my smart... oh, how I love that thing.

Amory

2011 328i

11196258_10102620745451991_6948796880144561318_n_zpsbxzwxm2w.jpg

First BMW I've owned. Cost of ownership is higher than I'd like but I do enjoy driving it.

SDCowboy

Tell that to anyone with a domestic that isn't a truck or a VW. You'd have to be insane to buy a VW new unless it's a golf R imo. Everything else is less than half the price of new within a few years with about 50k miles on them.

Fair enough. Again, as a truck guy my perspective is mostly from that vantage. Trucks hold their value so ridiculously well, buying used rarely seems worth it unless it's some old beater for a work truck.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Heh.

I took that picture because we went to eat out at that restaurant and the two minivans hadn't left enough space for anything but a car the size of mine. There are obvious downsides to driving something like a smart ed, but the car is such a perfect fit for my lifestyle.

We bought my wife a 2016 gen 2 Volt, which is a really nice car, and that's the one we take on long trips (obviously) but my smart... oh, how I love that thing.

We have Car2Go in our city, so a real problem is renters speeding through neighborhoods in Smart cars because they're on the clock. It's a legit issue and something about them makes people drive pretty recklessly.

Aiii

So not worth it
so many people with cars from 2015, 2016, 2017

seems such a waste of money to buy a new car

I love wasting money on fun stuff. I bought my car brand new in 2008 knowing I would never see that money again, spend a long mg time picking the color, the options, waiting after it was ordered and giddy as a kid on christmas when it was time to pick it up. Best experience. Totally makes working 40 hours in the week worth it.

nw3

Before or after they appreciated?

Bought my first, a 993 cab, in early 2015..so you could say mid appreciation? They've gradually gone up in price since then but are now just about flat. Had the cab for 8 months but decided open top not for me + back seats too small for baby seat + not safe for tracking, was a great entry into the marquee though & I was addicted. Traded it in for a 1990 green 964 coupe carrera 4, which was a beauty but as I gained confidence in the 911 handling quirks and started doing track days, the heavier 4wd steering & serious understeer due to archaic 4wd system led me back to the 993 coupe I have now, which is a keeper for life. So took a bit of experimentation to find the right one but got to sample some great 911 heritage. Because of the trades I'm just about even so it's not been an investment but nice to not have lost a ton to depreciation. It's got 114k miles on the clock & built like a tank. Will go to 300k if I look after it!

so many people with cars from 2015, 2016, 2017

seems such a waste of money to buy a new car

I will never not buy a car new, because I don't want a used anything.

But I can blame Hyundai for a catchy Ioniq commercial that got me to immediately* run out and buy a... Kia... much earlier than I anticipated buying anything. I had every intention of driving my 2013 Santa Fe for 5 or 6 more years (I bought it in 2012, and bought my previous car [Mazda Tribute] new in 2001), but the lure of a hybrid was too much to resist, and the resale value on my Santa Fe was high enough to get me to pull the trigger.

(*Within 2 weeks)

nw3

Beyond jealous. I hope to own a 996 Carrera one day, can't afford a 993 :/

996 are truly fantastic cars & get a bad rep because the lights look a bit different & the interior perhaps hasn't dated as well as the air-cooled cars. Just be careful with the 996 carreras as around 10% or more of them have had the engines go kaput due to bore scored cylinder or IMS bearing. You're actually better off buying one that's had that happen then the engine rebuilt. Personally I'd only buy a 996 GT3 or Turbo as they have the famous Metzger engine which is solid as a rock and does not risk suffering from the above failures.good luck!!!

Minus_Me

Bought my first, a 993 cab, in early 2015..so you could say mid appreciation? They've gradually gone up in price since then but are now just about flat. Had the cab for 8 months but decided open top not for me + back seats too small for baby seat + not safe for tracking, was a great entry into the marquee though & I was addicted. Traded it in for a 1990 green 964 coupe carrera 4, which was a beauty but as I gained confidence in the 911 handling quirks and started doing track days, the heavier 4wd steering & serious understeer due to archaic 4wd system led me back to the 993 coupe I have now, which is a keeper for life. So took a bit of experimentation to find the right one but got to sample some great 911 heritage. Because of the trades I'm just about even so it's not been an investment but nice to not have lost a ton to depreciation. It's got 114k miles on the clock & built like a tank. Will go to 300k if I look after it!

Nice to hear about you tracking the car. They are an absolute blast. Considering they are the last air cooled cars, they'll probably keep going up over time.

996 are truly fantastic cars & get a bad rep because the lights look a bit different & the interior perhaps hasn't dated as well as the air-cooled cars. Just be careful with the 996 carreras as around 10% or more of them have had the engines go kaput due to bore scored cylinder or IMS bearing. You're actually better off buying one that's had that happen then the engine rebuilt. Personally I'd only buy a 996 GT3 or Turbo as they have the famous Metzger engine which is solid as a rock and does not risk suffering from the above failures.good luck!!!

Great assessment. The 996 are amazing cars and they are hitting their bottom on price, and ya you have to watch for that damn IMS issue.

lachesis

I bought a Prius Prime earlier this year, after leasing 3 yrs of BMW 320 xi. This is a car that I plan to own at least next 5-6 years before I hand it down to my daughter.

maxresdefault.jpg

(photo is not my car - don't have photo account that can link - but same color)

I know many of car enthusiast hate Prius, and don't even consider this a car, but for me - this has been quite a good commuter vehicle.

My daily commute to NJ <-> NYC is roughly around 32-3 miles round trip. I go over the George Washington Bridge every day on off-peak hour. With my BMW, it was $10.50 to go over the bridge from NJ to NY plus gasoline. I normally had to fill up once in a two weeks - so about 100 dollars per month for gas price. So actual running cost per month was about 340 dollars.

With this car, it runs about 30 miles with electricity only, and I get green EZ pass discount - so I pay 7 dollars for the bridge toll, and almost nothing on gas. I still have 1/5 of gas left since I bought the car in late Feb. No fill up for past 3 full months - and that's even without charging every single day. I think I ran w/o electricity for about 10 days. I pay about 10 more dollars per month on electricity for charging this thing - and even with that, running cost of this car per month is about 170. Basically half the amount of 320xi.

Yes it's pretty slow and when the engine kicks in, it's pretty noisy - but I smile all the way when I drive, thinking the money that I'm saving. ;)

But I am contemplating to buy ND Miata or NA Miata for cheap - for weekend fun when I get spare money...

My Prius has lost 40% of it's value in seven months. It's depreciating faster than my FR-S did (and those don't hold their value at all).

SDCowboy

I plan on keeping it for some time so it's fine (and I didn't pay anywhere near sticker). Still, low gas prices in NA are killing the market for hybrids + EVs. Good time to get a deal on one, though.

Didn't battery replacement prices have something to do with it also, if I'm not mistaken (now that I think about it)?

Amory

To me, it doesn't really matter if a car loses value quickly if you're planning on keeping it for a long time.

If you're the type to turn around and resell it as soon as you've paid a car off, why not just lease?

lem0n

2015 Fiat 500 Sport 5MT with some modifications.. Eibach Sporline springs, RRM Corsa CAI and axleback exhaust system, RRM timing controller, 500 Turbo tail lights, KAW rear wiper delete kit, RallyArmor mudflaps, Likewise shiftknob, 12mm wheel spacers in front, 16mm in back, stubby antenna, blacked out windows. In process of finishing the chrome trim in black as well. It's probably getting traded in on a Fiesta ST in October if I don't buy an R32 Skyline

SgtCobra

Lots of beautiful cars in here, also my first time seeing many asian cars I've never ever seen riding over here in Europe, you guys sure love them.

And yes, there are lots of Americans on this site :p

LT Snoshado

My car is a Subaru Forester, so you've seen one, you've seen all.

Wrong!

Here's my 2004 Subaru Forester XT with a 2008 Forester STI front-end swap and a full 2006 STI swap down to the subframes with a built motor, 20G turbo, FMIC, etc...

34029216914_c50b3ab168_b.jpg

33302563520_94bdaf556e_b.jpg

My daily is a 2010 Mazda3 which I love.

34832788886_0615f8ee7c_b.jpg

Top Bottom