• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets talk about Sonys First Party Studios and their upcoming Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

wapplew

Western studio look fine, output seem rather regular. If only Japan studio can step up their game.
They need to make at least one AAA title, in house every year!

i-Lo

My 2 cents: After GoW Ascension, I feel like they should give the franchise some rest. Granted, that their series hasn't been driven to the ground by annualizing as a grotesque cash cow like CoD or AC but it would be a welcome change if SSM could be associated with a major project aside from GoW.

My 2 cents: After GoW Ascension, I feel like they should give the franchise some rest. Granted, that their series hasn't been driven to the ground by annualizing as a grotesque cash cow like CoD or AC but it would be a welcome change if SSM could be associated with a major project aside from GoW.

they were working on a completely new Ip since 2010 and it looks like it was a desaster? many people lost their job, Stig Asmusen left Sant Monica

So after that fiasco i dont think a new ip would be such a good idea. Right now they should stick to what theyre good at and get some confidence back

i-Lo

they were working on a completely new Ip since 2010 and it looks like it was a desaster? many people lost their job, Stig Asmusen left Sant Monica

So after that fiasco i dont think a new ip would be such a good idea. Right now they should stick to what theyre good at and get some confidence back

I am aware of that unfortunate turn of event. However, the result feels like such a cop out from SSM.

I am aware of that unfortunate turn of event. However, the result feels like such a cop out from SSM.

indeed it does. I was really looking forward to a new IP from this studio with their talent and hearing about that game getting cancelled was devastating...

But the only thing i want right now, is that Sony Santa Monica recovers from those events and makes a comeback with a new great god of war game. Maybe after that Sony will give them another chance

Not really if they truly wasted over $100 million. Make some money with one or two God Of War games then maybe they can try something new again. It's a business and you have to mitigate risk.

injurai

Banned
Is there any word on the R&C remake?

Supposed to be 2015. First quarter spring. I think we will hear more once they get the marketing rolling for the movie.

But for all I know there could be delays that they haven't yet disclosed.

They had two teams. 1 GoW 1 new IP. The latter folded. So not canning their prime IP is a cop out?

Seems like you are just grasping for an external angle that paints them negatively. Regrouping and sticking together really is the best thing to do. They are a great team that does a lot of internal support for SCEWS.

Sotha_Sil

If I can get just one game from Sony's WWS that I'm interested in, I'll be pleasantly surprised and content. I haven't seen or heard of such a game yet, but if Guerrilla really is doing that rumored sci-fi RPG, we might have a winner.

I'm much more interested in Sony's first party efforts with external studios (Rime, Rapture, Bloodborne, Deep Down, and whatever Quantic Dream is working on).

i-Lo

They had two teams. 1 GoW 1 new IP. The latter folded. So not canning their prime IP is a cop out?

Seems like you are just grasping for an external angle that paints them negatively. Regrouping and sticking together really is the best thing to do. They are a great team that does a lot of internal support for SCEWS.

You ought not to assume about what I am trying to "grasp"

I am keenly aware of their helping hand in myriad indie projects beyond. To me, that studio is filled with talent that ought to produce a major project other than GoW (pretty sure all major studios that are continually pushed to work on a single IP year after year, have some employees who feel the same). I know they tried and failed to meet expectations which resulted in its canning; furthermore, it is obvious that they'd like to make up their losses by working on another entry into an established franchise. It paints the harsh reality of AAA games where cost of doing something new can become detrimental to a studios creativity and even existence if it goes wrong.

I am personally burnt out on the franchise for now (played GoW3 twice from beginning and lost interest half way through both times). However, I wish them all the best when it comes to producing their next GoW and hope they can earn back sufficient financial support to produce a new IP.

Expecting a big showing from 1st party this E3!

Most excited for the unveiling of GG's next game! Robo-Dinos sounds awesome, and the concept art was amazing!

B.O.O.M

Stig's SSM project and Bend Studios project getting canned really hurt the PS4's 1st gen lineup. It's obvious Sony planned on having those announced and ready to come out this year. Thank god for second party devs like From and RAD.

Canned Bend games were vita ones according to rumors I think..so it hurt the vita not PS4

Stig's one..yep

Things you are missing are collaboration titles and second party owned Sony IP's like:

- The Order 1886 (RAD)
- Aliennation (SCE)
- Drawn To Death (San Diego and Barlet Studio)
- Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (SCE & Chinese Room)
- Fat Princess Adventures (SM)
- Wattan (SM)
- What Remains Of Edith Finch (Giant Sparrow & SM)
- Helldivers (SCE & Arrowhead)
- Guns Up (San Diego & Valkyrie)
- Ratchet & Clank Redux (Insomniac)
- Rime (SCE & Tequila Works)
- The Tomorrow Children (Studio Japan & Pixel Junk)
- Wild (SCEE & Wild Sheep)
- Everybody Golf's (Studio Japan & Clap Hanz)
- Shadow of The Beast (SCEE)

All of these need a category up there.

Zukkoyaki

I'm still very curious as to what Media Molecule's main project is. They've been working on it since shipping LBP2 in 2011. I still remember when they took the stage at Gamescom, man. I was so ready to see their new IP but it was just the Tearaway reimaging for PS4. While I'm very much looking forward to that (never played the Vita version) I felt hella teased haha.

Artex

Banned
Still waiting for an update on this mofo...

iz99U5vjFIY2p.gif

ibnELoghPwIJHx.gif

i895kXwgpwfu3.gif

Where are these from??

And that is a damn fine OP.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Studio Japan can be an ace in the hole this gen. They are really big, talented but without structure to put big things together like modern western developers.

I am more excited about what they can do this generation than about ND, SSM or Guerrila's output.

E3 is my last hold out of hope for TLG ever coming out. If it's not there, I give up.

Is that so? So you're just going to take the emotional beating and not rise up? Winners persevere. E3 2015 it's. If not E3 2016.

Studio Japan can be an ace in the hole this gen. They are really big, talented but without structure to put big things together like modern western developers.

I am more excited about what they can do this generation than about ND, SSM or Guerrila's output.
I know that Japan Studio is a huge studio, but I didn't think it was actually the biggest studios of Sony Worldwide Studios. Quite surprised about that tbh :) Japan Studio seems to be Japan's Santa Monica Studio imo.

God, I hope the fact that Japan Studio is now working on big budget blockbusters leads to something incredible.

I'd love if they went the (rumored) JRPG route, and I hope they go all out with the artsyle. More creative and fantastical like Gravity Rush and less grounded in reality like Freedom Wars.

GT7 I'm sure will be a looker, but not expecting the audio to of improved much...again. With the "bee mated with a vacuum cleaner" engines and "nails on blackboard" tyre squeal.

AmuroChan

Hopefully now that Becker is in charge the studio will function more like a western dev.

GnawtyDog

Banned
God, I hope the fact that Japan Studio is now working on big budget blockbusters leads to something incredible.

I'd love if they went the (rumored) JRPG route, and I hope they go all out with the artsyle. More creative and fantastical like Gravity Rush and less grounded in reality like Freedom Wars.

Puppeteer was such a good game. It's sad that it didn't sell as good - I would of loved for it to be a franchise like LittleBigPlanet. Sony does such a poor job marketing to the casuals these creative games they put out, unlike Nintendo. Now that LBP has reached 3 sequels, a Puppeteer franchise would of worked to fill that genre. I know we're getting Teraway Unfolded but still, I could see both surviving fine if marketed properly to its main market - casuals.

They also delivered another creative game, in Knack. Not to mention Rain. Very "creative games" per say. Then you have TLG still in the boilers and GR2.

I just want to see Naughty Dog not work on a cinematic third person shooter.

Uncharted
Uncharted 2
Uncharted 3
The Last of Us
Uncharted 4
TLOU 2

I'm starting to get bored with their output.

I want to see them work on something out of the ordinary that can push forward solid gameplay.

*Edit

I'd like to add that I will also die of old age before the Last Guardian is ever released.

You're dreaming if you want them to drop the cinematic angle. They're the best in the business in that regard and they've set up a production studio in order to do it. But honestly, your complaint seems dumb anyway. Uncharted is a shooter, TLOU is a survival horror game, they're completely different types of games. If they make a new IP and differentiate it as much as they did TLOU, it'd be great.

I think we'll get quite a lot of announcements at E3, even some for late 2015.

Santa Monica(GodOfWar4)
Guerilla Games(Dino Game)
BEND(OpenWorld Horror)
Media Molecule(maybe some Morpheus stuff)

I could see them all at E3 this year.

Why do people still do this? The same is said before EVERY Sony event and they always end up disappointed. At this point it should be incredibly obvious that Sony spread their game announcements out between E3, Gamescom, TGS and (now) PSX. Expecting them to announce everything at E3 is madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom