• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets talk about Sonys First Party Studios and their upcoming Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Japan Studio really depresses me.

They started off as one of the best development studios around, going from Ape Escape, to Legend of Dragoon, to Ico, to Shadow of the Colossus and then just... stopped, and started making nothing but experimental games and quirky downloadable games.

Thankfully it seems there's some recent effort to make big titles again with Gravity Rush, Puppeteer and Knack, both those three are very mediocre compared to their older work, but hopefully they can work their way back up to the top.

Shabad

Thankfully it seems there's some recent effort to make big titles again with Gravity Rush, Puppeteer and Knack, both those three are very mediocre compared to their older work, but hopefully they can work their way back up to the top.

It doesn't compute. Those are great games.

You also have have to consider that Japan Studios have done a lot of co-developement (Soul Sacrifice, Freedom Wars, Bloodborne, Tomorrow Children, Deep Down, ... ), and chances are a lot of people working there are actually focused on those collaborations.

They started off as one of the best development studios around, going from Ape Escape, to Legend of Dragoon, to Ico, to Shadow of the Colossus and then just... stopped, and started making nothing but experimental games and quirky downloadable games.

Did you play Gr? It's pretty great. Also, Tokyo Jungle was amazing. Very addictive. Since Becker has been there, they've been cranking shit out

But now, they've Allan Becker on the board and the biggest 1st party studio, which employ over 400 people.
I am almost sure in the next 2-3 years Sony Japan will gives us many great games. On PS4 and...Vita.

I agree that Becker will probably sort them out and they'll start being a truckload more consistent, but the way things stand now and in a world where Naughty Dog exists it's laughable to suggest they are Sony's "crown jewel".

Sorry if this has been answered previously but how does Shinobi know the details about Guerrillas new game? Just curious.

I think he just has contact with a lot of people within the industry. Whether he works for a developer or publisher himself I have no idea, but he seems to know a fair bit about Sony's projects.

EGOMON

Yup Sony's 1st party studios are the reason i stick with Playstation consoles always.
GOW4 is my most wanted title out of the list

The most exciting thing in the pipeline for me is GoW 4. Love that series to death and I want more Kratos unlike 90% of GAF.

Also if GG don't show Project Horizon at E3 I will lose my shit. I NEED to see that thing in motion.

The most exciting thing in the pipeline for me is GoW 4. Love that series to death and I want more Kratos unlike 90% of GAF.

Also if GG don't show Project Horizon at E3 I will lose my shit. I NEED to see that thing in motion.

I'm always down for some God of War, but I wouldn't be opposed to a new setting. Perhaps Valhalla/Asgard.

The biggest hurdle is that the mythology isn't as well known. Could you imagine playing as a Valkyrie and doing some of the brutal stuff Kratos would do lol.

Trevelyan

Banned
I think what's really impressive is not the lineup of games this year, which is incredibly packed with many diverse titles, but their line up for next year.

We could potentially see GG's game, Sony Bend, Gran Turismo 7, Media Molecule, Sucker Punch, Sony Japan and Quantic Dream. It's going to be an insane 2 years.

I think what's really impressive is not the lineup of games this year, which is incredibly packed with many diverse titles, but their line up for next year.

We could potentially see GG's game, Sony Bend, Gran Turismo 7, Media Molecule, Sucker Punch, Sony Japan and Quantic Dream. It's going to be an insane 2 years.

2016 definitely seems more packed as far as 1st party goes.

DevilFox

The reason why I'm a PlayStation fan, but I have to say one thing: if they keep going with the same IPs of last gen (few excluded, like GT) I'm going to be really pissed. I accepted them at launch (KZ and Second Son) because they're a good way to move the old fanbase, I accepted Uncharted 4 because I love it but that's all, I don't want to see countless iterations of these IPs. More Driveclub, Bloodborne, Horizon, Puppeteer and so on, this is what PlayStation is good at: to bring new IPs.
If I liked to know prematurely what to play, I would go with a Nintendo console first. Please surprise me, WWS.

I'm always down for some God of War, but I wouldn't be opposed to a new setting. Perhaps Valhalla/Asgard.

The biggest hurdle is that the mythology isn't as well known. Could you imagine playing as a Valkyrie and doing some of the brutal stuff Kratos would do lol.

If GoW ever goes Norse, I would imagine the ideal set-up is that "Kratos" is an Einherjar of a Valkyrie.

That way, they can 'recycle' that Athena/Kratos dynamic from the Greek mythology, while at the same time making her a playable character/or constant presence throughout the game.

Bloodborne, Tomorrow Children and Hotshots Golf are possible candidates too.

I mean, I want it to be Gravity Daze 2 or "Unannounced Game", but I'm keeping my expectations low so that I won't be disappointed. =)

Delayed to Q1 this year.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/07/psx-2014-hell-divers-is-alive-and-it-wants-you-dead

I doubt its TC. They shown so much of that already. HSG was apparently meant to get more infor in Spring. I think its either Bloodborne or GR2 with the latter being very unlikely.

Nope.

Concept17

Most excited for UC4 and what GG has in the works. While I love Killzone, I feel like it has stifled some of the amazing talent at the studio. They have some of the best artists in the industry, and their rumored project sounds like something I believe they can pull off in a big way.

Also Sucker Punch has a newer logo. :p Can't wait to see what is next from them, as well. Infamous is my favorite open world series, alongside Saint's Row.

salromano

So to update Verendus' initial post a bit, is this accurate?

Verendus mentions this is "not a comprehensive list," rather just stuff he's referenced in the past, thus not including games like The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush, Hot Shots Golf, The Tomorrow Children, etc.

Verendus also notes that these are only for projects that are made by SCE / involve some sort of collaboration with SCE.

One of the unknown projects are a Sony/Sega collaboration.

4 RPGs
  • Bloodborne (From Software x SCE Japan Studio)
  • JRPG #1
  • JRPG #2
  • "Horizon" (Guerrilla Games)
3 Third-Person Shooters
  • Drawn to Death (Bartlet Jones x SCE San Diego Studio)
  • The Order: 1886 (Ready at Dawn x SCE Santa Monica Studio)
  • Uncharted 4: Among Thieves (Naughty Dog)
3 Horror
  • Until Dawn (Supermassive Games)
  • SCE Bend Studio Game
  • ???
3 Action/Adventure
  • God of War (SCE Santa Monica Studio)
  • "GOW Shakeup"
  • ???
2 Platformers
  • Tearaway Unfolded (Media Molecule)
  • ???
1 Arcade racer
  • ???
1 Stealth
  • ???
1 Brawler
  • ??? (described as Fighting Force-esque)
1 Fighter
  • Street Fighter V (Capcom)

Verendus mentions this is "not a comprehensive list," rather just stuff he's referenced in the past, thus not including games like The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush, Hot Shots Golf, The Tomorrow Children, etc.

Verendus also notes that these are only for projects that are made by SCE / involve some sort of collaboration with SCE.

4 RPGs
  • JRPG #1
  • JRPG #2
3 Third-Person Shooters
3 Horror
  • SCE Bend Studio Game
  • ???
3 Action/Adventure
  • "GOW Shakeup"
  • ???
2 Platformers
  • ???
1 Arcade racer
  • ???
1 Stealth
  • ???
1 Brawler
1 Fighter

When you put it that way, we still have this E3 to see what the rest of those are.

4 RPGs
  • JRPG #1
  • JRPG #2
3 Third-Person Shooters
3 Horror
  • SCE Bend Studio Game
  • ???
3 Action/Adventure
  • "GOW Shakeup"
  • ???
2 Platformers
  • ???
1 Arcade racer
  • ???
1 Stealth
  • ???
1 Brawler
1 Fighter

Horror ??? = Siren/ Silent Hill
GOW shake up is GOW.
Platformer ??? = MM's new game
Stealth ??? = Sly 5

JRPG 1 = SCEJ AAA JRPG
whats JRPG 2?....Is it the Sony/SEGA collab? If it is........VC4!!

Ombala

4 RPGs
  • JRPG #1
  • JRPG #2
3 Third-Person Shooters
3 Horror
  • SCE Bend Studio Game
  • ???
3 Action/Adventure
  • "GOW Shakeup"
  • ???
2 Platformers
  • ???
1 Arcade racer
  • ???
1 Stealth
  • ???
1 Brawler
1 Fighter
Third horror could be Silent Hill or P.T?

Knack sure. Knack is an embarrassment. But Gravity Rush and Puppeteer "mediocre"?!

OOvKF3b.gif

I will cut you.

True though, Studio Japan did stutter a lot last gen, and certainly wasn't on peak form. They were too unorganised, with loads of different rogue projects being developed in concurrence and few actually coming to fruition. But they've definitely released some winners in the past few years as well.

Philippo

Well Level-5 is debuting their PS4 RPG at E3, could it be a collaboration woth Sony, making it one of the two unrevealed titles?

I honestly wish they would go back to some of their less serious, quirkier games and stop teasing the fans if they have no plans to do anything with them. The Vib-Ribbon tease, for example. Was it really necessary to hype that when it was just the original game releasing on PSN? That could have been confined to a blog announcement. This is an area where I have to respect Microsoft; you can argue their being pushed to a distant 2nd is what's making them do the decisions they're making, but the old IP they've teased with bringing back, they seem to actually be doing something with them. The Phantom Dust reveal comes to mind. Tbf though, MS doesn't have a ton of IP, let alone a ton of classic IP.

If Sony can keep doing what they're doing, but give me a true Parappa/UmJammer sequel, a Tomba sequel (or a remake of the 2nd game), maybe some ZOE/Omega Boost hybrid thing and keep up with games like Tomorrow Children and Rime (and, while not strictly first-party, but collab efforts like SFV), I'd be content. That'd be a PS4 worth buying, personally. They have a new Rachet coming yes, but where's Crash? They've only been teasing about it since 2013. Hopefully something of that comes at E3.

A lot of people will probably say that those games "don't have a market" but that comes off as a contrived excuse to write them off without understanding or even knowing how the market would react if they were done properly and marketed the right way. There's always an audience for something and some things have a bigger audience than people give them credit for. A new installment in a lot of Sony's classic IP could be great successes as long as they do what's needed (if anything needs to be done) to retool them for some of today's tastes while still keeping the core of what made those games enjoyable when they first came out. They wouldn't require massive budgets, just a loving, dedicated small team. Plus some of those could give them reasons to try other advertising avenues, or even merchandise.

In the end I really think these games need to happen because it just makes common sense. Why choose not to diversify your console's library with them, play up on nostalgia and increase the appeal of the system to different audiences? It's good to have stuff like Bloodborn and Order and Killzone etc., but I like more whimsical and less-mainstream fare as well. I don't want Sony to fall into the trap of relying on only a few IP that more or less appeal to the same demographic, plus sequels to some of their older IP or new IP that targets different types of gamers could get a big push through PS Now and if PS Now is reasonably priced those games could draw in people who are entrenched in lighthearted mobile games (hopefully the good mobile games).

My 2 cents: After GoW Ascension, I feel like they should give the franchise some rest. Granted, that their series hasn't been driven to the ground by annualizing as a grotesque cash cow like CoD or AC but it would be a welcome change if SSM could be associated with a major project aside from GoW.
It'll be a long ass while before that game releases. I think folks will be ready after Ascension years past in 2013.

Papacheeks

Banned
Can I ask an honest question? I'm a big PlayStation Fan not going to lie about it, but also "use" to enjoy Microsoft's output, Why do we see more thread's for Sony Developer's and development on GAF opposed to Xbox?

I think it's because there's isn't as much being developed over by Microsoft. If there was wouldn't we see thread's about it, leaked project's etc?

GnawtyDog

Banned
Ripping off Salromano formatting. My guesses.

4 RPGs
  • Studio Japan JRPG
  • Level 5 JRPG (Ni No Kuni or Dark Cloud 3)
3 Third-Person Shooters
3 Horror
  • Sony Bend - Open-world Horror.
  • Konami/Sony collaboration - Silent Hill
3 Action/Adventure
  • "Quantic Dream's New IP"
  • Sega/Sony collaboration
2 Platformers
  • Crash or Sly 5 or Ratchet and Clank Reboot or MM New IP
1 Arcade racer
  • Wipeout - either by London or EVO
1 Stealth
  • Guerrilla Cambridge- Syphon Filter (why? multi-million seller IP that's not Killzone, FPS, or strictly TPS)
1 Brawler
  • Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven
1 Fighter

Zukkoyaki

Can I ask an honest question? I'm a big PlayStation Fan not going to lie about it, but also "use" to enjoy Microsoft's output, Why do we see more thread's for Sony Developer's and development on GAF opposed to Xbox?

I think it's because there's isn't as much being developed over by Microsoft. If there was wouldn't we see thread's about it, leaked project's etc?
I think it's because while Microsoft has a large number of
Studios, only a few of them are dedicated to Xbox development. More than half are and were seemingly set for app development and games for computers/mobile devices.

As for the Xbox studios, well, we almost always know what each one is working on.

- Turn 10: Latest Forza title
- 343: Latest Halo title
- Blacktusk: Gears
- Lionhead: Latest Fable title
- Rare: Unknown
- Twisted Pixel: Unknown

Rare and Twisted Pixel are the only wildcards. I suppose Lionhead could be as well since we know they have a new IP in the works. But that sucker is likely years away.

But anyway, this is hardcore off topic, I just thoughr someone should chime in haha

delSai

Cool. One other thing, don't forget that Pixelopus are a first party dev as well. Sure, they're small, but they should still be included on the list.

Huh! Are they really? It's the first time i hear this, but i would love it to be true. Entwined was cool.
I love how we don't know what most Teams are up to. So exciting to guess and dream.

Also for the Arcade Racer: My guess is Ridge Racer. Also PS Allstars 2 doesn't fit in anything there, what the hell? :p

Rymuth

GnawtyDog, where would you put Let It Die on that list? Or is that just a 3rd party exclusive with no collaboration? I forget...

entremet

Haven't been excited about Sony 1st since PS1 days. I miss the wackiness. The SCE is very western focused in scope. Not my bag personally.

Hopefully Gravity Rush 2 PS4 gets shown soon.

I really hope that Santa Monica are aware that Ascension was cleary a bad game if we compare it with the trilogy, i hope they will make honor to this franchise.

GnawtyDog

Banned
GnawtyDog, where would you put Let It Die on that list? Or is that just a 3rd party exclusive with no collaboration? I forget...

Don't think Verendus counts that. Only first party or some type of collaboration with Sony first-party studios has to be involved. I still think there will be a third party moneyhat somewhere that does not involve Sony first party in any way. I assume MS is gunning for another one too.

This year, you'll likely be able to remove the RPGs from there too since the unannounced three will probably be out in the open, and that includes the two JRPGs I mentioned long ago. Although one of them is pretty much "plans subject to change" so please don't send me a dozen PMs insulting me if you don't see everything. It's great to be passionate, but still weird.

Glad to hear that it's still happening, and hasn't been quietly canned. Thanks for popping in to let us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom