• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets talk about Sonys First Party Studios and their upcoming Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuuKyK

5. On the back of that, FFXII HD on current gen is basically confirmed at this point. As is one of the older Dragon Quest titles in HD (I've genuinely forgot which number though since it's been a while). In addition to that, there is a spin-off Final Fantasy title planned for consoles. Not big budget. Not FFX or FF7 in case people take it there. Not a traditional RPG either.

God. Please tell me that its a Dissidia game for consoles.

Three biggest studios all taking the safe (Predictable) routes on upcoming titles it seems. I'm excited at the thought of Uncharted 4 admittedly, but Santa Monica and Polyphony aren't really going to be of much use to me for a while it seems :/

Good to see so many new IPs coming from several of the others seemingly though.
PD always make racing sims, it's what they do. They're the only studio that you shouldn't expect something different. The other tried to make a new IP and lost tens of millions. NG just released a new IP, do you want them to just make successful new IPs like magic? I'd say Sony has 4 top tier teams with MM, whose also making a new IP.

delSai

Aren't the Guys at Polyphony working on 2 projects? I remember there was a Thread here on Gaf saying so... but maybe i'm remembering wrong.

God. Please tell me that its a Dissidia game for consoles.

Dissidia: Final Fantasy Versus?

BumRush

Verendus and Shinobi really are incredible. They give just enough away to get everyone excited but don't harm the developers / publishers...

Thanks guys.

Drool.

I had no problems with the combat but wouldn't say no to them enhancing it. The AI definitely needs improvement though, yeah.

NNK is probably the only reason left I still have my PS3.
The battle system is great IMO. I'd just like more attacks. It seemed like so many familiars had the same attacks, same with the humans. The evolutions were also not a different as they should of been. Just add a ton more options for variety.

I'm there day 1 either way. Just get Studio Ghibli to help out, I know they have had some financial troubles recently. :\

Sega
  • ??? (one of the ??? games in the list above)
  • ??? (Verendus describes this as "out of left field")

How is it possible for me to dislike Sega so much, yet still get really excited at the idea of them doing SOMETHING.

I want that out of field game to be something like Sakura Wars or Valkyria Chronicles being brought back by Atlus. Or something more random like Space Channel 5. I like this new era of Sony just lighting fires under peoples asses and getting games made/ brought over.

Zukkoyaki

While the prospect of a major new game from Level 5 excites me, I'd be lukewarm on a Ni No Kuni sequel. Sure the story was good and it had a great universe and presentation, but I felt the battle system left a lot to be desired. It was awkard and absolutely wrecked by the terrible AI.

I'd rather their game be a more epic scale title in the mold of Final Fantasy, Breath of Fire, etc.

While the prospect of a major new game from Level 5 excites me, I'd be lukewarm on a Ni No Kuni sequel. Sure the story was good and it had a great universe and presentation, but I felt the battle system left a lot to be desired. It was awkard and absolutely wrecked by the terrible AI.

I'd rather their game be a more epic scale title in the mold of Final Fantasy, Breath of Fire, etc.

Well, the fact that you loved everything BUT the battle system. Don;t you think they'd revisit that?

Man, Ni No Kuni was stunning. I loved that game. Hope it's a sequel.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
I post very early in the thread about THE TOMORROW CHILDREN from Sony Japan and it's not in the OP yet.

I demand an explanation.

:p

Well, the fact that you loved everything BUT the battle system. Don;t you think they'd revisit that?

Man, Ni No Kuni was stunning. I loved that game. Hope it's a sequel.

A Ni No kuni with more badass and mature monster would be great.
All those monsters looked to cute. on the other hand the bosses had a really great design

During the game i always wanted to have monsters like these, that i can catch

90b9b2_51bf117ca06a6.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Why not a mix of both like in the Pokemon Games

All those monster looked to cute. on the other hand the bosses had a really great design

90b9b2_51bf117ca06a6.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

A mixture is good, cus I like capturing the cute ones :D

salromano

All those monsters looked to cute. on the other hand the bosses had a really great design

90b9b2_51bf117ca06a6.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Why not a mix of both like in the Pokemon Games

I kind of want Level-5 to pull a Ni no Kuni and bring Youkai Watch to PS4. I realize it's primarily targeted at kids, so its chances are unlikely, but I find the IP really charming and would love to see them transform it how they did Ni no Kuni (which was originally a DS game). Might give PS4 a big boost in Japan, too.

Kssio_Aug

I had no opportunity to play Ni No Kuni, and thats probably the most wanted past-gen game for me after selling my PS3. So, even if it is a remaster, I'd be happy.

Yeah, I love remasters! =)

Links_fantasy

Sony should try and get some jrpg's on PS4, it would really help the Japanese market. Dark cloud was a popular action rpg series on PS2 and a HD collection of the first 2 before a third entry would be great. Wild Arms is another Sony owned ip that I would like to see rebooted.

Sony should try and get some jrpg's on PS4, it would really help the Japanese market. Dark cloud was a popular action rpg series on PS2 and a HD collection of the first 2 before a third entry would be great. Wild Arms is another Sony owned ip that I would like to see rebooted.

2015:
Dragon Quest Heroes
Persona 5
Bloodborne
Disgea 5
Gundam
Yakuza 0
One Piece PW 3
God Eater 2
YS

Future Titles:
Tales of (already in development for Ps4)
Level 5 exclusive Game
Secret RPG from Sony Japan
Street Fighter V

Sony is on the right track in terms of japanese Games. I think 2015 will be a big console Push in japan

J-Skee

I know it's not being developed by a first party studio, but Rime is my most anticipated game this year. Every time I watch that trailer, I can't help but smile.

Anyone think about Firesprite for WipEout?

They've been working on something for ages, and released The Playroom and Run Sackboy Run. So they're still tied closely to Sony.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
You're somewhat along the right tracks.

The Koei game referred to was Dragon Quest Heroes though, not what you've listed there. The Namco Bandai exclusives in the particular post you're pulling from are about PS4 Tales, Gundam (I actually know what this is), and one unannounced title. Most of the titles you've listed, I don't know. Except Godzilla since everyone loves him. The JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven game is also not part of that. I didn't learn of that one until early last year. I also don't think I will have spoke of that at any time except for whatever post The God managed to catch. I only remember it because I used to really like Power Stone, and I remember the crushing feeling of disappointment I felt. Although, the crushing part may be an exaggeration.

The Sega mention is about two projects, and one is in the latter list. That one's out of left field so I don't think anyone will catch it.

Capcom is spot on.

The rest I'm not going to comment on.
In October you mention that Sony has exclusive rights to 1 fighter. The list has that pegged as Street Fighter V which sounds right. Also states that one of the two SEGA exclusives is denoted as ???'s in the list, the other being "out of left field".

If you could elaborate, is a new Virtua Fighter game still to come? If so, does its exclusion from the list mean that it is not a SONY exclusive?

I know it's not being developed by a first party studio, but Rime is my most anticipated game this year. Every time I watch that trailer, I can't help but smile.

i feel you bro. So many people talking about No Mans Sky...But for me Rime is the big Highlight of 2015. Never been excited for an Indie Game like this

f09d64-1422320384.jpg

Is there anybody other than I missing Pursuit Force IP? I loved playing it a lot back then and it was one of my most favorite games on PSP - a great combination of racing and action genre. It is pretty much dead now along with its creators. Still, I always hope that there will be a studio taking over the franchise and starting developing a sequel or at lease a spiritual successor.

Usobuko

Banned
Bandai Namco

God Eater 2: Rage Burst (also PS Vita)
Godzilla (also PS3)
The Idolmaster
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven (also PS3)
J-Stars Victory VS+ (also PS3, PS Vita)
Mobile Suit Gundam
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 (also PS3, PS Vita, PC)
Tales of PS4 (unannounced)
??? (Verendus mentions one unannounced game belonging here)

I'm not surprised by the Bandai Namco list along with most it available on PS3 and/or Vita as well. They have always been cozy with PS platforms.

Kssio_Aug

i feel you bro. So many people talking about No Mans Sky...But for me Rime is the big Highlight of 2015. Never been excited for an Indie Game like this

f09d64-1422320384.jpg

Indeed, the art style of this game is amazing.

When it was announced I expected something more in line with ICO, then after they showed more of its premises and gameplay, I was a bit disappointed. However, these last days I'm getting my interest back again, its just a different game then ICO (and thats actually good, since its not a copy and paste) with a stellar art style.

- I can't wait for the Gran Turismo 7 and the new God of War!

For GT 7 I am hoping for a teaser at the E3 2015 and release in 2016.

Also if Polyphony Digital is indeed working on a second project I would love a new Tourist Trophy.

For the new God of War I don't mind if it is a reboot or just a new game in the same concept.

- I am really excited for the Horizon from Guerrilla Games. Leaked concept art is amazing.

kyser73

I want it allllllll...

Long term I'm most hyped for Horizon, the concept art sold me on the game immediately, but since Gamescom I've been on a 'PS2 era returns' thing with WWS and '2nd party' stuff. There're some brilliant new, original and exciting looking games coming to the PS4.

Is there anybody other than I missing Pursuit Force IP? I loved playing it a lot back then and it was one of my most favorite games on PSP - a great combination of racing and action genre. It is pretty much dead now along with its creators. Still, I always hope that there will be a studio taking over the franchise and starting developing a sequel or at lease a spiritual successor.

I got the first for free after the PSN outage and actually enjoyed it a lot. Very unique, underappreciated game. It's a damn shame BigBig closed.

arent 2nd Party Studios, Independent studios who have a partnership with Sony,Ms,Nintendo and therefore only devlop games for on console?

Like remedy, Quantic Dream, Ready at Dawn or Playground games

Becuase i would like to add a 2nd Party list in the Op but i dont know which studios really are 2nd Party

"Second party" is a made-up term, so the definition differs from person to person. For simplicities sake, I'd just go with "independent studios who are publishing first party titles." So that would include studios who are completely exclusive, like Ready at Dawn and Quantic Dream, and ones that aren't, like Insomniac or FROM Software.

Here's the list I made on page 4, which is all of the current ones as far as I'm aware:

Arrowhead Game Studios (Helldivers)
The Bartlet Jones Supernatural Detective Agency (Drawn to Death)
The Chinese Room (Everybody's Gone to the Rapture)
Clap Hanz (Everybody's Golf/Hot Shots Golf)
FROM Software (Bloodborne)
Fun Bits Interactive (Fat Princess Adventures)
Funomena (Wattam)
Giant Sparrow (What Remains of Edith Finch)
Heavy Spectrum (Shadow of the Beast)
Housemarque (Alienation, Super Stardust Ultra)
Insomniac Games (Ratchet & Clank)
On The Metal (BigFest)
Ovosonico (???)
Q-Games (The Tomorrow Children)
Quantic Dream (???)
Queasy Games (???)
Ready at Dawn (The Order: 1886)
Supermassive Games (Until Dawn)
Tarsier Studios (Hunger [Working Title])
Tequila Works (Rime)
Valkyrie Entertainment (Guns Up!)
Wild Sheep (WiLD)

The ones with a ??? have a deal with Sony but haven't announced their next projects yet. While Tarsier's game, Hunger, hasn't been officially announced yet, just mentioned in passing by the devs.

Sorry for being a pedant but Sony's funding and publishing Rime, so it's not indie. :p

Arrowhead Game Studios (Helldivers)
The Bartlet Jones Supernatural Detective Agency (Drawn to Death)
The Chinese Room (Everybody's Gone to the Rapture)
Clap Hanz (Everybody's Golf/Hot Shots Golf)
FROM Software (Bloodborne)
Fun Bits Interactive (Fat Princess Adventures)
Funomena (Wattam)
Giant Sparrow (What Remains of Edith Finch)
Heavy Spectrum (Shadow of the Beast)
Housemarque (Alienation, Super Stardust Ultra)
Insomniac Games (Ratchet & Clank)
On The Metal (BigFest)
Ovosonico (???)
Q-Games (The Tomorrow Children)
Quantic Dream (???)
Queasy Games (???)
Ready at Dawn (The Order: 1886)
Supermassive Games (Until Dawn)
Tarsier Studios (Hunger [Working Title])
Tequila Works (Rime)
Valkyrie Entertainment (Guns Up!)
Wild Sheep (WiLD)

If you can add this to the OP then we can have the complete list of Sony's game IP's

With how much Yoshida loves JRPGs like FF it will be shocking if they don't put together a mega opus JRPG like Wild Arms or Arc the Lad or Legend of Dragoon this gen.

I hope so. And I hope it is traditional JRPG none of this action RPG nonsense. Still haven't played an action RPG combat system that is as compelling as the FFX queue based system. Devs should of emulated that way more

No, turn base rpg is a shit system not fun at all to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom