• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about that D-pad

Vawn

Banned
KHYTNJ7bBu6RuMvL9NwvLS.jpg

PlayStation has always had very good d-pad. However, I think many will agree the best d-pad is actually on the PS Vita.

169622.jpg

Is it just me or does the DualSense's d-pad look more like the Vita's than the PS4? If so, this is a great choice in my opinion.

What do you guys think? Does it look like the Vita's d-pad to you and do you see that is an improvement over the traditional DualShock d-pad?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The Vita's D-pad is absolutely stellar and feels premium even now. Here's hoping Sony didn't fuck it up again with this.

Alphagear

Hoping for a Vita style D-PAD but from the pics it looks identical to the Dual Shock 4.

Not too fussed.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
It does look like Vita's d-pad and i loved how the buttons felt on my Vita.

Still until we try the controller ourselves we can't really know for sure how the d-pad will feel.

Why do people like the Vita D-pad? Apart from being small, I always thought it was really awkward that the directions are split and not a cross, like on the SNES. That's my favorite D-pad btw.

Just curious!

Vawn

Banned
Wasn't the vita one big button? This looks like individual buttons, i hope they have a nice click as well. Switch does that very well.

I love Switch, but not its d-pad. The four buttons is horrible and the Pro controller's d-pad is a mess. Mine sticks and they pretty much all register ghost presses.

I guess the Lite's is pretty decent though?

I love Switch, but not its d-pad. The four buttons is horrible and the Pro controller's d-pad is a mess. Mine sticks and they pretty much all register ghost presses.

I guess the Lite's is pretty decent though?
Oh i agree the the 4 button dpad on the Switch is less than ideal, i was merely stating the "click" of the buttons feels good on the Switch.

LordKasual

Banned
PS3/4 has been the preferred console of choice for fighting games specifically for the Dpad.

Hopefully its good.

Rodolink

the vita one starts screeching like a rat after years of use. that is not god tier. DS4 one has way better feel to me.
the dualsense one looks more like the original PSP one no?

SonGoku

Hope it is every bit like the vita dpad, was so unbelievable Sony didn't use it for DS4 but at-least (it looks like) they fixed their mistake
SWChoYE.png

qo2G5Qz.png

186lse7rjtbjljpg.jpg

The feel of the D-pad on the PS Vita is due to the short pivot on the plastic cross and how that same piece is mated to its supporting silicone membrane. Despite what looks to be clear buttons, I'd expect the D-pad on the PS5's controller to be constructed and feel closer to that of a standard Dualshock.

I got a Vita and I don't think it's that good for fighting games, for the rest it's fine though. Least it didn't hurt my thumb like the PS1/2 controllers because of that gap they had in the middle.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never like controllers with individual kinds of d-pad arrows. Always preferred one-piece kind of d-pads.

Not saying I was ever good at fighting games, but games requiring the d-pad and doing diagonal moves always seems tougher than one piece d-pads.

Mokus

From what I can see, it's looks more like the PSP D-pad. More elevated and rounded with the classic PS gamepad spaces between the buttons.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Never like controllers with individual kinds of d-pad arrows. Always preferred one-piece kind of d-pads.

Not saying I was ever good at fighting games, but games requiring the d-pad and doing diagonal moves always seems tougher than one piece d-pads.

How small are your thumbs?

Don't be shy, we're all friends here.

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
I don't see how this thing is similar to the Vita one at all. The Vita's D-pad was one big piece of plastic you could rest your thumb on. This new controller has the split D-pad like all other Playstation controllers.

Birdo

Banned
The Megadrive d-pad is still the gold standard.

Individual buttoned d-pads suck for fighting games.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
The Megadrive d-pad is still the gold standard.

Individual buttoned d-pads suck for fighting games.

The megadrive d-pad is the only single piece d-pad I'll allow. That thing was sensational and substantial.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
How small are your thumbs?

Don't be shy, we're all friends here.
Who knows.

Trying to do upper-right moves with the end of the thumb is most problematic.

With one piece d-pads you can just glide it and there's enough force to make the whole dpad go on a diagonal. With separate arrow layout you have to catch both arrows with the sides of your thumb with perfect pressure.

Top Bottom