• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about your favorite ultimate weapons.

Redrop

Golden Sun had these random unleashes for artifacts. Sol Blade, one of the strongest weapon in the series has this:

5TtWnVA.gif

Felix's Sol Blade lets out a howl! Megiddo!

The weapon unleashes were so cool. Megiddo has such a high activation rate and feels just a tad too long though, so I was always partial to the Darksword's unleash, because it was so immediate and visceral: http://goldensun.wikia.com/wiki/Darksword

UnleashDarksword.png

Opt1kon_

I would have to say the DEAGLE .44 in BF4 currently i run around with it as my Primary and get rage induced Messages on PS4 sometimes

lazygecko

Pshhh......swords, handguns and rocket launchers.

GOAT:

redeemerut.png

Portable Nuke

Shadow Warrior actually beat UT to having a portable nuke weapon, and it was a lot more powerful than the redeemer. And those unlucky enough to survive would probably be killed off by the lingering radioactivity.

Back. The fuck. Up.

I had no idea this was even a thing, and I thoughT I fond everything in that game, aside from the stupid Breakout style mini games.

How the heck do you get that thing???

Someone gives it to you after you complete a bunch of sidequests. I don't remember the exact chain of events, but it's legit. The sword is big enough to wipe out entire dungeon rooms in a single hit, and in some cases I ended up taking out all of one room and a good chunk of the next one over in one shot.

Ultimadrago

I'll add a mention for Final Fantasy XII's Zodiac Spear:

img-thingoxcse.jpg

Now, I don't like this weapon's design (or the weapon itself even though it hits like nine haywire trucks in a spear).

However, to originally obtain this weapon one must not open any of four particular chests in the game and then none of your party should have a certain accessory equipped when opening the Zodiac's chest.

The second method for a separate chest is a RNG hell (provided you don't exploit it) and you must have the previously stated accessory equipped in order to get this one.

It's the type of cryptic/obtuse bullshit I actually love to read about when it comes to obtaining very powerful weapons.

fijim

Banned
Turok - Fusion Cannon

YlgnzwF.png

Basically created a nuclear explosion, turning the entire screen white and killing all enemies on screen like Doom's BFG.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Ultima Weapon, FFIX:
Ultima_Weapon_FFIX_Art.jpg

Also RYNO V, 'cause nothing is cooler than classical music organ-weapons.

Leynos

Vagrant Story's Holy Win.

VS-holywin.jpg

You no longer have to change weapons when fighting different types of enemies, and can lay waste to everything. Love it.

I'll add a mention for Final Fantasy XII's Zodiac Spear:

img-thingoxcse.jpg

Now, I don't like this weapon's design (or the weapon itself even though it hits like nine haywire trucks in a spear).

However, to originally obtain this weapon one must not open any of four particular chests in the game and then none of your party should have a certain accessory equipped when opening the Zodiac's chest.

The second method for a separate chest is a RNG hell (provided you don't exploit it) and you must have the previously stated accessory equipped in order to get this one.

It's the type of cryptic/obtuse bullshit I actually love to read about when it comes to obtaining very powerful weapons.

My favorite thing about this weapon is that you can get it pretty early in the game

Vagrant Story's Holy Win.

VS-holywin.jpg

You no longer have to change weapons when fighting different types of enemies, and can lay waste to everything. Love it.

I love that game, and never came across this weapon. Quick google search showed me why:

It is wielded by the first form of Guildenstern and cannot be won from this fight. It is obtainable on second play by entering The Iron Maiden B2 with less than 150 health and defeating the Last Crusader at the entrance to B3. The drop rate for The Holy Win is between 1 and 3%, and as such, it is extremely difficult to obtain.

Oh FFS. why even put these ultra obscure weapons in there?

exfatal

Biggoron's Sword!

1000px-Receiving_Biggoron%27s_Sword.png

After all the work of the sidequest, especially the timed parts, I distinctly remember using the Sun's Song to speed up the sword-forging timeframe.

this biggoron sword was awesome, destroyed water temple boss with that beast

Also only reason i got it was cause i needed something to do while i was stuck at the water temple for way longer then i want to admit

Bravocado

The rainbow sword in Chrono trigger was always a fav of mine.
Nothing special but really OP

The Rainbow? Agreed, I used to equip it with the accessory that made Crono counter virtually all the time. Turned him into a force of nature.

If I recall, there's a slightly better version of it called the Dream Seeker in the DS version, but you have to do the extra content for it. It's kinda overkill for NG+, really.

1GpSprM.jpg

All of Arty's swords are pretty neat, but my favorite incarnation was the Abyss Greatsword. Out of the three weapons that actually make having humanity useful, I thiiiink it's the most powerful? And the entire trio are among the coolest weapons in the Souls games

Redrop

All of Arty's swords are pretty neat, but my favorite incarnation was the Abyss Greatsword. Out of the three weapons that actually make having humanity useful, I thiiiink it's the most powerful? And the entire trio are among the coolest weapons in the Souls games

Yeah, the Abyss Greatsword is definitely the best as it yields pure physical damage and a higher attack rating then the other pure physical damage version (the Cursed Artorias Greatsword). It has lower stat requirements too.

If I recall, there's a slightly better version of it called the Dream Seeker in the DS version, but you have to do the extra content for it. It's kinda overkill for NG+, really.

Yeah, it ups Crono's critical rate to 90%. Kinda pointless though, considering you get it after beating the game's strongest superboss. (And at that point, it's near impossible to have a party that isn't completely overpowered already.)

Speaking of weapons added in enhanced ports, another one comes to mind: Abel's Lance in Final Fantasy IV Advance (I believe it's in the PSP version as well.)

FFAB_Abel%27s_Lance_UR.png

(Using the FF Brigade artwork because it's better than the small pixel art alternatives.)

It's Kain's ultimate weapon, and has a pretty decent attack stat. On top of that, it has a random chance of casting the Tornado spell, which instantly reduces an enemy's HP to double digits. When Tornado is cast by a spellcaster, it usually only works on fodder enemies that don't already resist it. The kicker with Abel's Lance? It's Tornado cast works on anything, even bosses, making Kain one of the most potentially broken characters in the post-game. I'm surprised that they retained that trait for the PSP remake.

Ultimadrago

My favorite thing about this weapon is that you can get it pretty early in the game

That too! Haha, I went for it early game and it was quite the adventure, as in most of my members died from higher level monsters while on the dash for it. An exciting trip it was for such a powerful reward not too far in the game.

1XA4F0H.jpg

Anathema/Benediction

Anathema was OK for an epic (raw stats will fix alot of problems), but Benediction was the End All, Be All of Priest weaponry till AQ40 time. +Crit to heals was a godsent for the armor buff as other sources for that was extremely rare. The quest chain to get the final leg of the quest to get it was a wonderful, wonderful skill dependant effort solo. Heal like a BAWSS.

Also: SPARKLIES!

Always got a kick from the Super Gravity Gun by the end of Half-Life 2. We've gone from throwing cans in the trash cans to throwing Combine Supercommandos across the screen like ragdolls...feels especially satisfying after the Battle of City 17 you had to fight through to get to the Citadel.

Gravity_Gun_super.jpg

Piers

Umbra Sword in Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.
Suddenly strolling through oblivion gates were like a walk in the park.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Resident Evil 4 - Chicago Typewriter

771016-chicago.jpg

Infinite ammo, mows down standard enemies and bosses alike in mere seconds, and doesn't require reloading, though you're treated to a special animation if you are so inclined for whatever reason. A nice little change up from the usual infinite ammo Rocket Launcher that the RE games usually give you upon completion.

I hate this thing, probably my least favorite 'ultimate' weapon ever. It's just too good to be any fun. Everything dies instantly, there's no reload or recovery time - you might as well just give the game a cheat that removes every enemy from the game. It would be just as enjoyable.

Handcannon is where it's at.

Also shoutouts to Northern Regalia in Demon Souls. PWST+clever rat ring+morion blade+NR+<30% HP makes even the toughest enemy die in seconds. Saved my ass when hunting special black phantoms in NG+.

Zephyx

FFVIII's Lionheart for Squall and FFIX's Ultima Weapon for Zidane.

Tales of Eternia's Eternal Sword also looks rad in action.

LAMBO

There was an arcade game, it was like Ikari warriors. You collected pieces of a megagun and once you got them all you had this cannon for a short time and it destroyed everything. Anyone know what game i'm talking about i can't remember the name.

Narroo

Tomahawk: Missiles Bears, from the game indie Sequence. They're Tomahawk missiles. With Bears.

Sadly, I can't find pictures. It's an obscure game.

Anno

This bastard here, The Water Sprinkler of Nem Ankh. Probably retained its usefulness as long as a weapon ever has in an MMO, and the quest to get it was pretty neat as were all the 1.0 epic weapons. I would pay SoE to know how many people I clicked back to life over the years.

HZ4B2RS.jpg

Top Bottom