• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Talk - Future Xbox

Dubloon7

Banned
I'm out, bye Xbox
Nothing to look forward to, Rare has proved they suck, 343i can't handle Halo, Gears is ok but can get it on PC, everything else is multiplayer loot box FPS galore, which I don't mind but man am I done with being jealous of the amazing SP experiences on PS4. I have never owned a PlayStation and I'm picking one up tomorrow with God of War 4, I'm jumping ship and honestly have no hope that MS will deliver on anything amazing with Xbox One anytime soon.
welcome, but XB1/PC have great quality games too, but not many

I remember reading or hearing somewhere that Rare has 2 other IPs in development alongside Sea of Thieves, but do not quote me on that. Maybe 1 could be a returning game and another a new IP, or 2 new IPs. Who knows, but I do remember Microsoft saying that Rare is a new IP factory for 1st party.
they had multiple games when they were still coming up with ideas on what to make next like every other studio but once Sea of Thieves was in the works as well as Rare Replay it was only that pretty much. Sea of Thieves only after RR.

I really hope they have some new exclusives up their sleeves, its gonna be a long gen for them if they keep just only treading water with the lack of exclusive games.

Codes 208

this list is BS. Halo 4 by the way was the start of a new trilogy which they later changed and said it was a saga. 4,5 and 6 were part of the Reclaimer trilogy which later turned to Reclaimer Saga.
Too bad that 4 and 5 are to halo what star wars episodes 1 and 2 are to star wars.

some good ideas, but overall pale imitators of what made the series unique. (story-wise anyway. Gunplay in 5 is still solid.)

BANGS

Banned
Unless Xbox starts securing some quality exclusives, I fear there won't be much of a future for the brand...

Too bad that 4 and 5 are to halo what star wars episodes 1 and 2 are to star wars.

some good ideas, but overall pale imitators of what made the series unique. (story-wise anyway. Gunplay in 5 is still solid.)
god damn....then I need to watch Episode 2 again. If the best fps multiplayer this gen = Clone Wars then I need to get back and watch it again.

rokkerkory

Man so many nay sayers and yet each quarter, Xbox division profits rises. Yes they have to do better no doubt but doom and gloom is not warranted.

Codes 208

god damn....then I need to watch Episode 2 again. If the best fps multiplayer this gen = Clone Wars then I need to get back and watch it again.
Gunplay is solid but i cant say i agree with everything else. For starters 5 launched with the least modes of any vanilla halo barring ce. On top of that there was a heavy emphasis on the heavy grinding/p2w warzone mode and there wasnt even forge or btb at launch.

And while we are on the subject, btb never even recieved its own maps, every btb map has been a forged map. Hell, their launch maps total were inflated by several forged maps and "remixes." Same with the free dlc, which has mainly been just more remixes or night versions of warzone maps with a single remake (haven)

Its a good game overall but they cut a lot of corners and i didnt even start with how much i loathe 5's campaign. And 4's multiplayer was a straight up cod ripoff, that i think can be agreed on by most.

heavy grinding/p2w warzone
this is bs. Havent spent a dime and am completely competent in Warzone plus have a ton of items (I sell all the warzone cards because Arena>Warzone). The packs are not hard at all to get especially when those same packs give you cards that give you points, point boost/jackpot and XP boost/jackpot as well as ones that have certain conditions and you can sell every single card in the pack for more points. daily packs just for signing in and one each for winning a game in each mode. one per level which with said boosts is easy even when approaching level 100.

This is the mtx model I 100% want them to take if they are going to keep it. Not hard at all to get the packs and doesnt even touch the competitive modes outside of armour, banner things, assassinations (which most people dont use outside of social) and thats pretty much it. my blue rocket launcher can easily KO your gold mantis so feel free to try doing that. hell with the way the packs work and how easily it is to get it I have some of my own too lol.

Leocarian

Banned
  • I am freaking pumped about Halo 6 news. Can't wait. I have strong feelings that the game is gonna deliver big time for fans.
  • It will be nice to see how Anthem is coming along, as well as final Crackdown 3 details
  • Fable reboot is basically a given, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were using some of the assets developed for the previously cancelled Fable Legends.
  • Ori and the Blind Forest 2 - heck yeah!
  • Phil definitely hinted strongly about a mech game, so there's that.
  • Maybe a Crimson Skies sequel?
  • I'd love to see an announcement for a metroidvania style game with rpg elements to it, but that's in fantasy land I'm sure.
  • A lot of people would like to see a new splinter cell and perfect dark, but those IP's don't get me nearly as excited.
  • MS really needs to put a bunch of resources toward a new RPG franchise. Go all out.

How is Fable exactly a given at this point?

Codes 208

this is bs. Havent spent a dime and am completely competent in Warzone plus have a ton of items (I sell all the warzone cards because Arena>Warzone). The packs are not hard at all to get especially when those same packs give you cards that give you points, point boost/jackpot and XP boost/jackpot as well as ones that have certain conditions and you can sell every single card in the pack for more points. daily packs just for signing in and one each for winning a game in each mode. one per level which with said boosts is easy even when approaching level 100.

This is the mtx model I 100% want them to take if they are going to keep it. Not hard at all to get the packs and doesnt even touch the competitive modes outside of armour, banner things, assassinations (which most people dont use outside of social) and thats pretty much it. my blue rocket launcher can easily KO your gold mantis so feel free to try doing that. hell with the way the packs work and how easily it is to get it I have some of my own too lol.
Im like level 120-something and am a member of team frankie, but i stand by what i said. The heavy emphasis on the lootcrate-escue card system is particularly cruel to new comers who havent recieved all the skins/requisitions and still need to grind through the unlocks before they can start unlocking good cards on a consistent basis.

So yes, its not fun going against a mantis when you only have needlers and mongeese

Do you remember the gloom and doom of the Nintendo days after Wii U? Lol. This is what it reminds me off.
I remember the doom and gloom surrounding the wii u and that was pretty accurate

Dimorphic

Probably asking for too much but a new Fable announcement with a 2018 release would be incredible. I’ll settle for just an announcement though.

Also some concrete details on Halo 6 / a new Halo title please and thank you.

Leocarian

Banned
Some wild predictions:

New Perfect Dark
GoldenEye HD + online multiplayer
Splinter Cell Exclusive
Handheld Xbox One - (shameless rip off of Switch)
Smaller Handheld Hybrid Xbox One that can also be inserted into a VR headset

Yes to Perfect Dark
I can see Goldeneye HD happening but not sure if there is a market for it.

Handheld Xbox? Portable Xbox? Eh. No.

Splinter Cell won't be exclusive, don't think Ubisoft will be willing to do that. Maybe timed.

james1984

Neo Member
Do you think we'll hear more info (videos or screenhots) about AOE4 at E3 2018? We don't know anything. This game was announced 9 months ago. (And relic started works on it before Dow3's release).

CRAIG667

Here is the full list.

Forza Horizon 4: [4K, 30 FPS on X, Japan setting, Xbox Gamepass, Gameplay/Trailer Demo, Fall 2018]

Starfield: [Marketing Deal, Gameplay Demo, Open World sci fi RPG, Holiday 2018]

ScreamRide 2 [Xbox Gamepass, Gameplay Trailer, Holiday 2018]

Crackdown 3: [Xbox Gamepass, Gameplay Trailer, MP Beta, Holiday 2018]

Shadow of the Tomb Raider: [Marketing Deal, Gameplay Demo, Xbox Gamepass Fall 2018]

Sea of Thieves: [New content, Trailer, Xbox Gamepass, Fall 2018]

Ashen: [Gameplay Trailer, Holiday 2018]

The Last Night: [Gameplay Trailer, Xbox Gamepass, Holkiday 2018]

Below: [Xbox Gamepass, Gameplay Trailer, Holiday 2018]

Madden: [Marketing, Gameplay Trailer, Fall 2018]

Minecraft: [ Content Update, Fall 2018]

Battlefield V: [Marketing, Gameplay Trailer, Fall 2018]

Metro Exodus: [Marketing, Gameplay Demo, Holiday 2018]

Banjo-Kazooie Anniversary: [Gamplay Trailer,Xbox Gamepass,Fall 2018]

Borderlands 3: [Spring 2019, Xbox Gamepass, Marketing, Gameplay Trailer]

Ori and the Will of the Wisps: [Spring 2019, Xbox Gamepass, Gameplay Trailer]

Electric Madness: [Fun Racer, Spring 2019, Xbox Gamepass, Gameplay Trailer]

Splinter Cell: [Reboot, Open World, Marketing, First on Xbox, Fall 2019]

Anthem: [Marketing, Gameplay Demo, Fall 2019]

Halo: Genesis [Reboot, Splitscreen, new engine, Warzone 2.0, MP Beta 2018, Teaser Trailer Fall 2019]

Cyberpunk 2077: [Marketing, Teaser Trailer, 2019/2020]

Joanna Dark: [3P Action, Teaser Trailer, Holiday 2019]

If you ask for my personal opinion.

I can totally see Forza Horizon 4, Anthem, Cyberpunk being real and spot on.

Although, Anthem officially currently slated for March of 2019 meanwhile this says Fall 2019. So it either got pushed back again or simply it's not true.

No fable is strange to me.

Banjo Anniversary? Is this a reboot treatment AKA Spyro and Crash style? Only thing I can think of.

Joanna Dark in 3rd person action? Could be interesting. Need more info.

Borderlands 3 sounds real.

Splinter Cell is pretty much a given at this point with ghost recons splinter cell missions and Sam fisher appearing on the Inside Xbox show.

Halo Genesis. A reboot? Swear to God they said halo 5 is a start of a new saga/trilogy unless they decided to scrap the story and really start over.

NO, Halo 4 was the beginning of a new trilogy (the reclaimer trilogy) Halo 6 will rap up this story arc.

I’m personally really looking forward to it.

Last edited:

Leocarian

Banned
NO, Halo 4 was the beginning of a new trilogy (the reclaimer trilogy) Halo 6 will rap up this story arc.

I’m personally really looking forward to it.

Yes...i am very well aware halo 4 was the start of a new trilogy. This is not my personal list.

Halo 5s story was horrible and spartan Locke sucks. I rather have a reboot than continue this crap of a new trilogy.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

I'm sure they'll cook up a variety of stuff, they will absolutely not want to give up the power advantage to Sony again. Third parties have been MS's butter as they rely on a smaller first party library.

I sold my xbox because I got tired of their output and they have work to do if they want to step up to Nintendo or Sony's level, who put out GOTY titles regularly. E3 was more Halo, Gears, and Forza.

JimiNutz

Banned
Next Xbox will have me back day one if it launches with Halo Infinite, Forza Horizon 5 set in Japan and a sequel to Killer Instinct.

Get off to a strong start and then finally make use of all those IP MS is sitting on. A new Fable, a new Perfect Dark and a new Banjo or Conker (maybe both characters in one game?) should be the top priority since I think these games have the most mass market appeal/potential.

It feels like MS are so close to potential greatness but they really need to utilise their legacy IP and build a strong collection of games. They have a diverse enough portfolio of IP they just need to use them properly!

Top Bottom