• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk Xbox 720: Xbox World shares everything it knows about the next console

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
With the worse economy and the lack of success PS3 had at prices over $300, it sounds more insane.
I don't know why people keep bringing this up. The lack of PS3 success had more to it than just the price. At the point the PS3 was released the 360 was already available for quite some time and the PS3 didn't really offer any additional value. That's why I didn't buy it at release btw.

Also, people tend to forget that back in 05 and 06 most had to buy an HDTV for the new consoles. No wonder sales didn't skyrocket at launch.

xemumanic

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Blu-Ray is designed by a coalition including Sony and Microsoft was involved Blu-Ray codecs.

You're pretty much correct. Whatever fees go to the Blu Ray Association or whatever they call it, of which Sony and Microsoft, as well as a number of other companies, including Pioneer, TDK, and Samsung to name a few, are all members. Long story short, people need to get over this "Blu Ray = Sony" way of thinking already. If that were true, then "DVD = Toshiba" would also be true, and no one thinks of DVD as a Toshiba format.

Vol5

You're pretty much correct. Whatever fees go to the Blu Ray Association or whatever they call it, of which Sony and Microsoft, as well as a number of other companies, including Pioneer, TDK, and Samsung to name a few, are all members. Long story short, people need to get over this "Blu Ray = Sony" way of thinking already. If that were true, then "DVD = Toshiba" would also be true, and no one thinks of DVD as a Toshiba format.

Not entirely true. MS maybe part of the BR association but they aren't entitled to any royalties. All they can do is represent, advertise and use BR. Hell, I could become a BR associate for $3K. MS don't hold any technology or patent essential to Blu-Ray and therefore don't see any money.

For every BR drive put into the 720, $11 will go to the licensors of which there are 15. It's not clear who get's what amount though. That's not necessarily out of MS's pocket either as they may strike a deal with whoever fabs the BR drive, but however which way you cut it, Sony will see some money for BR to be in the 720.

Not entirely true. MS maybe part of the BR association but they aren't entitled to any royalties. All they can do is represent, advertise and use BR. Hell, I could become a BR associate for $3K. MS don't hold any technology or patent essential to Blu-Ray and therefore don't see any money.

For every BR drive put into the 720, $11 will go to the licensors of which there are 15. It's not clear who get's what amount though. That's not necessarily out of MS's pocket either as they may strike a deal with whoever fabs the BR drive, but however which way you cut it, Sony will see some money for BR to be in the 720.

If I'm not mistaken, Microsoft gets some money for the VC-1 codec that they originally developed. According to Wikipedia, they are one of 15 companies in the VC-1 patent pool.

BlackJace

What I want to know, is if they will keep Metro as the UI. I think its fine for mobile devices, but it was off as the 360's main one.

Elginer

Already saving for both but if they're going to be as even powered as this gen may just pick up a 720 first and then wait on the PS4. Once I see a next-gen Uncharted the money will jump from my wallet. Here's hoping that no matter how powerful they are, they both are investing heavily making sure these things don't burn out after 3 months time.

What I want to know, is if they will keep Metro as the UI. I think its fine for mobile devices, but it was off as the 360's main one.

Whatever they use as the initial UI, you can be sure that it's going to change in a few years.

Ryse completely vanishing from the Xbox 360 lineup and E3.

That doesn't have to mean anything. I also think that the next Xbox will launch by the end of 2013, but that's not set in stone at this point. Microsoft could easily announce Xbox 360 games for the remainder of the year in a month or two, and that may include Ryse and a number of other titles. It's not unusual for them to reveal games just several months ahead of their planned launch dates.

Ryse completely vanishing from the Xbox 360 lineup and E3.

That doesn't have to mean anything. I also think that the next Xbox will launch by the end of 2013, but that's not set in stone at this point. Microsoft could easily announce Xbox 360 games for the remainder of the year in a month or two, and that may include Ryse and a number of other titles. It's not unusual for them to reveal games just several months ahead of their planned launch dates.

I wish they would release the '720' this year, because I hate buying a console so late in the console cycle. But I can't miss out on my XBL-games so I guess my fourth 360 ( sigh ) is coming up.

I wish they would release the '720' this year, because I hate buying a console so late in the console cycle. But I can't miss out on my XBL-games so I guess my fourth 360 ( sigh ) is coming up.

Ew. I don't know if I would be ready as I am to spend a ton of money if I ever had to replace my 360.

I won a launch gen and 7 years later it still works perfectly.

KageMaru

Well that's the point. Microsoft is in a unique position to bring true unification and finally give people a reason to buy Windows tablets and phones. It would be a unique selling point.

So you think limiting PC and 720 games so they work on phones and tablets is a good idea? I'm lost how you fail to understand how your posts make no sense.

The complete unification, at least how you see it, doesn't exist for a reason. It's an absolutely horrible idea on many levels.

So you think limiting PC and 720 games so they work on phones and tablets is a good idea? I'm lost how you fail to understand how your posts make no sense.

No, not at all. What I'm saying is that I want unification where it makes sense and where it's technically possible. Specifically: full cross-platform compatibility between the next Xbox and a Windows 8 (9?) PC with the proper specs. Full cross-platform compatibility between XBLA games and PCs/Tablets/phones with the proper specs.

Let's say I have an Xbox 720, a Win9 PC with better specs than the console and a smartphone with enough horsepower to play XBLA games. What is so crazy about wanting to play, say, an XBLA game on all 3 of my devices?

And for the record, it's nowhere near as outlandish as you make it out to be. Valve is going to try this exact thing with the Steambox and they don't have their own OS. Microsoft would make a killing by getting there first.

i'm suspecting that they have an arm chip and memory config that's dedicated to the OS with potential windows 8 compatibility.

This is is something i started to consider after the multiple rumors of 2 different kind of boxes and would explain much of the confusion imo. It would allow for MS to create a more intergrated experience, and strengthen many of the core focus that live has developed as of late, such as downloading in the background of games, or remote controlling of the system, smart glass, etc. As well as expanding on the system as a full media center as opposed to a game console.

Let's say I have an Xbox 720, a Win9 PC with better specs than the console and a smartphone with enough horsepower to play XBLA games. What is so crazy about wanting to play, say, an XBLA game on all 3 of my devices?

And for the record, it's nowhere near as outlandish as you make it out to be. Valve is going to try this exact thing with the Steambox and they don't have their own OS. Microsoft would make a killing by getting there first.
Because each three of those devices most likely uses a completely different CPU architecture. You can use SteamBox as an example once it actually comes out.

Jack_AG

Banned
a spec greater than anything even the most hardcore PC gamer has on his desktop.

I made it to the second sentence. For a quick second I expected rumors that just barely bordered on the realistic - but this one just blew my brain out the bay melt as jf

The fuck just happened to my brain?

Because each three of those devices most likely uses a completely different CPU architecture. You can use SteamBox as an example once it actually comes out.

Guys, this is not some far-flung future of teleporters and hovercars. It's happening today. You can buy an HTPC like the Alienware X51, a Windows laptop and a Win8 tablet and play the same game on all three devices.

I have a gaming PC and an AMD-based netbook. Many indie games run fine on the netbook and are fully playable, including games like Mark of the Ninja.

There is no imposed limit on what an XBLA game can do with the hardware. Alan Wake: American Nightmare is a good example of a demanding XBLA game, and the upcoming CryEngine3-based State of Decay is another. Maybe that will change with the next generation, maybe there will be new categories of games, but for now it's not accomplishable.

Dumb question for the more tech savvy.

How difficult is it to make scalable games work on consoles like on pc? But with the idea applied to two skus instead of the multitudes of variations seen in pcs?

How difficult is it to make scalable games work on consoles like on pc? But with the idea applied to two skus instead of the multitudes of variations seen in pcs?

It's not that difficult, but right now there's little reason to do it. We might see something like that in the upcoming generation, however. In fact, if the next Xbox is fully BC, you'll get that from the get go. Xbox 360 specs could become the new low end, keeping the console relevant long after it's superseded. You could then bring that platform to other hardware.

BigTnaples said:
Not to mention all the factors like functionality and longevity that make the consoles of 2013 an entirely different machine than in 2005.. Which you ignored.
Will consumers? Again I point to PS3, which was supposed to be the 10 year entertainment everything device with a price to match.
BigTnaples said:
Also this is an Xbox 720 thread. The 360 never had an issue moving units at a $400 price point back in 2005
Sure it did. In 2005 because of supply, but what it was doing in 2006 and 2007 was much lower than what it's managed recently. The first 4 years it was basically matching N64 numbers.

Guys, this is not some far-flung future of teleporters and hovercars. It's happening today. You can buy an HTPC like the Alienware X51, a Windows laptop and a Win8 tablet and play the same game on all three devices.
How daft can you be. All 3 of those devices are likely running the exact same OS, and likely with the exact same architecture.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
No, not at all. What I'm saying is that I want unification where it makes sense and where it's technically possible. Specifically: full cross-platform compatibility between the next Xbox and a Windows 8 (9?) PC with the proper specs. Full cross-platform compatibility between XBLA games and PCs/Tablets/phones with the proper specs.

The Skulls of the Shogun devs want to sell a multiplatform bundle with their cross platform game, but MS might not be as enthusiastic.

MARNEY

It's not that difficult, but right now there's little reason to do it. We might see something like that in the upcoming generation, however. In fact, if the next Xbox is fully BC, you'll get that from the get go. Xbox 360 specs could become the new low end, keeping the console relevant long after it's superseded. You could then bring that platform to other hardware.

would be kool.

KageMaru

It's crazy because that would mean those XBLA games would be limited to the lowest common piece of hardware, e.i. the smartphone, which would be weaker than the 360. You're essentially telling us you want next gen console and PC digital games to be held back by smartphones and tablets that won't reach even a tenth of the performance of the former platforms.

Makes sense.../sarcasm

Two things that I know are coming based on Patents that went public last year

New Controller with an xbox or Playstation configuration.
http://www.google.com/patents/US201...a=X&ei=7HjlUJnlH-nV0QHs6YD4Cw&ved=0CEEQ6AEwAQ

Hopefully we get the second before the next xbox launches.

Previous controller patent went public in 2008:
http://www.google.com/patents/EP200...a=X&ei=437lUJzxF8Sb0QXi5oCACg&ved=0CDsQ6AEwAA

Belonged to MadCatz Saitek employee, probably still does.

Never heard of these but here is the real thing!
http://www.psu.com/Mad-Catz-Saitek-PS2700-Controller--g1326--o.php
dat cyborg module
and another
slCCg.jpg

deadlast

Aguirre

all over the place.

Very Large APU
384-bit memory bus
8 1.6 GHz cores
8xxx based GPU (but nothing concrete on shader count or clock)

was the 360 specs leaked before release? i always thought ms were pretty careful when it came to specs

xemumanic

Thanks for the clarification. I just wanted to kill the mindset that some people STILL have that Blu Ray is a Sony format, and that they see all, or even most, of the license fees from it. They get some money, but noting like what Toshiba got and still gets from DVD.

EDIT: Actually no wait. They probably get some because of the VC-1 codec which is a part of the Blu Ray spec.
Plus I see REMEMBER CITADEL brought it up. But in all, I just want to kill the Blu Ray = Sony concept. There's enough people not investing in the format who normally would just because of that.

The mindshare is that blu-ray = Sony unfortunately. The fans themselves supported this anyway, considering that hd-dvd v blu-ray thing too.

Personally Blu-Ray didn't help the PS3 as much as ppl expected it to (gaming wise).

i-Lo

Maybe but it won't help the games be any better :)

Of course, I am only speaking of the graphical fidelity. Long held is the belief that gameplay is greater than graphics, but it's as obvious as it is a misnomer in the way it has exceeded its meaning to be an all encompassing concept minus the graphics that apparently has had to stand on its own. I'll be making a thread about LTTP KoTOR later but for now suffice it to say that currently, while playing KoTOR, I realised just how far we have come in terms of tech, of the aspects in visuals we have grown weary of, not accepting of and how visuals can really embellish the best parts of games that have greatness within them.

Top Bottom