• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Level-5 hiring for new "large-scale project"

sörine

Banned
The question then is for what platform? PS4? 3DS? Wii U(lol)?
PC.

PS3 maybe if it's still alive. 3DS if it can handle it. There's zero reason for Hino to bother with dead consoles like PS4 or Wii U though, unless 1st party moneyhats are involved.

SerTapTap

I'd love a Ni no Kuni 2. I'd also love to see them do something new and ambitious and do a new IP for this so called "large scale project".

Beautiful game. Potentially interesting world. Could not bear to play it. I'd rather they worked on something with Dark Cloud's combat, that's known to be good, and while a bit slow to start too, it was a lot more enjoyable to me than Ni no Kuni. A Ni no Kuni 2 would need some major upgrades in basically everything but looks.

Wait, I think I found a press release for the game...

you lie

duckroll

I don't think PC only is a good platform choice for a Japanese game targeting children. I think it would make sense for it to be one of the platforms, simply for more user connectivity, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a sort of platform-divorced MMO service with good production values which runs on almost everything console, portable, and mobile.

But at the same time, I also won't be surprised if it were Nintendo centric with heavy emphasis on NFC if they're going to cash-in on that. Using NFC could also be a good way to create a revenue stream without traditional subscriptions or microtransactions. Instead of paying directly for a subscription fee or buying energy or costumes in a shop, they could sell toys instead which unlock virtual items or give gameplay bonuses and perks, acting as physical microtransactions.

L~A

sörine;131458928 said:
PC.

PS3 maybe if it's still alive. 3DS if it can handle it. There's zero reason for Hino to bother with dead consoles like PS4 or Wii U though, unless 1st party moneyhats are involved.

PC and 3DS seems the most likely platforms, indeed (they already have that Inazuma Eleven Online game on PC, updated regularly).

But I'm still not convinced they're amking MMO... but with how ambitious Hino seems to be with the franchise, that wouldn't surprise me. I just hope they won't burn their wings and crater on the ground due to overconfidence : /

I don't think PC only is a good platform choice for a Japanese game targeting children. I think it would make sense for it to be one of the platforms, simply for more user connectivity, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a sort of platform-divorced MMO service with good production values which runs on almost everything console, portable, and mobile.

But at the same time, I also won't be surprised if it were Nintendo centric with heavy emphasis on NFC if they're going to cash-in on that. Using NFC could also be a good way to create a revenue stream without traditional subscriptions or microtransactions. Instead of paying directly for a subscription fee or buying energy or costumes in a shop, they could sell toys instead which unlock virtual items or give gameplay bonuses and perks, acting as physical microtransactions.

None of that sounds like Dark Cloud 3.

None of that even sounds good. Where is the good stuff? Dark Cloud MMO?

Ramrock

Banned
Youkai Watch 2 is going to outsell every Sony game and third party game ever made in Japan excluding MH or DQ.

That's pretty special.
Yes, their handheld games are selling.
Their console/PS3 (and some PS2) games were shit-tastic!
So no, they aren't ~special~. Maybe in the handheld department.
Not in the home console section.

Good that Sony ended the ~Level-5 / Sony RPG~ deal on home consoles.
Games were horrible.

Give me more Bloodborne and Demon Souls.

sublimit

Banned
Dark Cloud 3
Dark Cloud 1/2 HD Remasters
DQ PS4 ports
Ni No Kuni 2
Rogue Galaxy 2
White Knight Chronicles 3 ( game has some potential! )

DC3 would make my generation though.

mgs5bcdefk6u2t.gif

This isn't the Level-5 of the PS2 era.

Large-scale project for them nowadays probably just means a regualr pay to play mobile game for Japan only or taking one of their larger games and downscaluing it for mobile.

Anjin M

Apparently, there's an ad in the latest Famitsu; it says that Level-5 is now hiring for a new "large-scale project" (projects?).

They are looking for designers, programmers and planners.

Apparenty, Youkai Watch characters (Jibanyan is one of them) are featured on the ad, but it's unknown whether the new project is related to Youkai Watch or not. Maybe it's for the console version of Wonder Flick, supposed to come to lots of platforms?

Source

I wonder if they would hire a middle aged, dumpy American how is bad at video games, understands zero Japanese, and doesn't know anything about game development. There has to be at least some sitcom potential there, right?

The things I would do for this to be Ninokuni 2... Nino2ni^^

You are a bad person and should be ashamed of yourself. "Nino2ni." Ugh.

sörine

Banned

Well they went PC only for their Inazuma Eleven MMO, although there was talk at one point about maybe bringing that to Wii U.

PC seems like the most likely platform for a Yo-Kai Watch MMO I think, not to say it'd be there exclusively. I'm sure Level 5 is paying attention to the success of Square Enix's MMOs on consoles and will end up casting a wider net than they did for IE. Smartphones are looking like a good option too if they go the DQX streaming route.

StuBurns

Banned
This isn't the Level-5 of the PS2 era.

Large-scale project for them nowadays probably just means a regualr pay to play mobile game for Japan only or taking one of their larger games and downscaluing it for mobile.
Why?

Dark Cloud
Dark Cloud 2
Dragon Quest 8
Rogue Galaxy
White Knight Chronicles
WKC2
Ni No Kuni

They've consistently made major RPGs for consoles. Maybe things have change now, but PS2 and PS3 era were really no different.

Come on Ni no Kuni 2. I want my face to melt whilst basking in the sheer divine beauty of how that game would look on the PS4.

Blobbers

Dark Cloud 3 AND Rogue Galaxy 2. The 2 back to back endshow announcement megatons for E3 2015 similar to Squares FF XV + KH3 in 2013.

sora87

What I would give for a full on Rouge Galaxy 2 PS4 game. Oh my god. Just thinking about it and knowing it'll never happen drives me mad.

Top Bottom