• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Level 5 Vision 2010 - The future is 3DS

randomkid

Cosmonaut X said:
Correct spelling of "because" and "basically", and the correct use of apostrophes in contractions? You're fooling no-one, stump!

Ha! It's funny cuz it's true.

I just wanna say Stump's public shaming approach to modding is great. I think it works even better than banning in some ways!

Chris1964 said:
Level 5 has many titles dated for 2011. They have a big market on DS which could support them if a title fails to meet expectations. With nothing for DS now they take a big risk.

Honestly, I don't think a rising star with a proven ability to read the market like Level-5 should be worrying much about this kind of risk.

EDIT: Also, let's not all live up to the stereotype where Mother 3 fans are annoying and pester people about their special game, k?

Busaiku

charlequin said:
Didn't they announce that they're publishing Layton 4 themselves in the US?
The Specter's Flute was never announced.
The Mask of Miracles wasn't formally announced, but on Nintendo's E3 page, it's listed as Level 5, rather than Nintendo.

Busaiku said:
The Mask of Miracles wasn't formally announced, but on Nintendo's E3 page, it's listed as Level 5, rather than Nintendo.

Yeah, I meant 5 and got confused, oops.

Boney

Banned
baaawww...

well I'm with you quin on putting games on a new hardware, you might find a new audience to your games and get them to be a loyal audience. Just strike when the iron is hot.

randomkid

Busaiku said:

Yeah, and while we're on this topic, if Level 5 doesn't localize the supposed 100 hour RPG that comes with Layton 4, that'll be two lovely 2D Mother-ish looking RPGs we're missing out on now. And I say this as someone who's never played any of the Mother games.

If I used emoticons there'd be a sad face here.

Boney said:
baaawww...

well I'm with you quin on putting games on a new hardware, you might find a new audience to your games and get them to be a loyal audience. Just strike when the iron is hot.

And that's just it.
Capcom saw a huge opportunity here, and they are giving it everything they can, really.
Going with a variety of games and making sure that they can shape the 3DS to their will.

ghibli99

Stumpokapow said:
i hope niontenod just cancels the pii because it's a awful consol and basically if your game comes out for it it's going to be garbeg
Sorry guys... I should have backed up my statement with the fact that I think DQ8 is a really beautiful game and I really have enjoyed playing most of the DQ series on portables. I didn't mean it to be a knock on the Wii (hell, I just bought Epic Yarn). Anyway, I do appreciate the warning -- it won't happen again.

Boney

Banned
AceBandage said:
And that's just it.
Capcom saw a huge opportunity here, and they are giving it everything they can, really.
Going with a variety of games and making sure that they can shape the 3DS to their will.
nono but level 5 already has an audience for their games on regular DS. But one of the easiest ways to expand the brand is move it to new succesful hardware. It could backfire but I doubt it.

Boney said:
nono but level 5 already has an audience for their games on regular DS. But one of the easiest ways to expand the brand is move it to new succesful hardware. It could backfire but I doubt it.

The only way it could really backfire is if the 3DS stales out of the gates.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
charlequin said:
Honestly, I don't think a rising star with a proven ability to read the market like Level-5 should be worrying much about this kind of risk.
I'm not so positive for Level 5 yet. I want to see how the remaining 2010 and 2011 will go for them first. So far they basically depend on 2 IPs.

Boney

Banned
AceBandage said:
The only way it could really backfire is if the 3DS stales out of the gates.
Maybe too many mainstream titles like RE and MGS, plus Nintendo titles could drown smaller guys. I only have so much money you know?

Boney said:
Maybe too many mainstream titles like RE and MGS, plus Nintendo titles could drown smaller guys. I only have so much money you know?

Well, while there is an overlap between the RE fans and the Layton fans, it certainly isn't 100%.
There are plenty of people that would buy Level 5's games that have little to no interest in most of Capcom's, or even Nintendo's, big games.
Nintendo not launching with a traditional Mario game is actually a really good thing for studios like Level 5.

2San

AceBandage said:
Well, while there is an overlap between the RE fans and the Layton fans, it certainly isn't 100%.
There are plenty of people that would buy Level 5's games that have little to no interest in most of Capcom's, or even Nintendo's, big games.
Nintendo not launching with a traditional Mario game is actually a really good thing for studios like Level 5.
Honestly I don't see people buying ports if they have the option to buy good new games. I can see this backfiring for Capcom, Konami. Though I might be selling the fanbase of RE and MGS short.

2San said:
Honestly I don't see people buying ports if they have the option to buy good new games. I can see this backfiring for Capcom, Konami. Though I might be selling the fanbase of RE and MGS short.

Not sure how it'll backfire for Capcom...
Their only port is SSF4.
Not that it matters.
RE4 proved that people would buy any RE game, regardless of how many times it's come out.

sfried said:
I bet you hate Epic Yarn too, do you?
No, Epic Yarn is adorable.

I got sick of Mother 3 because of Mother fans.

I am likely robbing myself of a good game but I can never start up the translated rom without thinking how annoying the vocal contingent of Mother 3 fans is.

ivysaur12

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:

I am likely robbing myself of a good game but I can never start up the translated rom without thinking how annoying the vocal contingent of Mother 3 fans is.

Wha?

You're robbing yourself from a great experience. It's well worth it.

GhaleonQ

ShockingAlberto said:

You are not wrong.

Gravijah

ShockingAlberto said:

Mother 3 is an awesome game, you really should try it out! Don't let people ruin a good game for you. Trust me, Mother fans get on my nerves and it's one of my favorite series.

Aeana

ShockingAlberto said:

Did you also skip Uncharted 2?

Gravijah

ShockingAlberto said:
No, I never paid attention to that!

I did post on a board with several people who were heads at Starmen.

It was not pretty.

Me & Aeana implore you (IMPLORE HIM, AEANA!) to play Mother 3! We promise (PROMISE HIM, AEANA!) you'll enjoy it!

Aeana

ShockingAlberto said:
No, I never paid attention to that!

I did post on a board with several people who were heads at Starmen.

It was not pretty.
Then replace Uncharted 2 with any other game that has an annoying fanbase, then (every popular franchise has an annoying fanbase).

Gravijah said:
Me & Aeana implore you (IMPLORE HIM, AEANA!) to play Mother 3! We promise (PROMISE HIM, AEANA!) you'll enjoy it!
Nope. If he wants to live with his head under the sand, let him.

I'll probably play it in a few years when there's significant distance from the "BUT WHAT ABOUT MOTHER 3" fanbase. I play everything eventually.

Right now, it's still pretty fresh.

Gravijah

ShockingAlberto said:
I'll probably play it in a few years when there's significant distance from the "BUT WHAT ABOUT MOTHER 3" fanbase. I play everything eventually.

Right now, it's still pretty fresh.

I'll leave you with one of my favorite songs from Mother 3:

Refreshing Toilets

Chris1964 said:
I'm not so positive for Level 5 yet. I want to see how the remaining 2010 and 2011 will go for them first. So far they basically depend on 2 IPs.

And their successful reputation as a code-for-hire house, and their two or three moderately successful IPs made for other publishers. I'm not saying they can't possibly screw up or anything, but the idea that they're at much risk by committing early to a platform that's at least fairly likely to b successful itself seems pretty ridiculous to me.

ShockingAlberto said:

I mean, it's not like they're not proving your point right now, but it's still not very becoming to stoop to their level.

wazoo

rpmurphy said:
That's a lot of 3DS! Now I'm just really anxious to know how the NA launch will be. There appears to be lots of great stuff planned for Japan launch year and hopefully a good chunk of that will be available for NA too, along with the western-developed games that hopefully will be revealed in good time.

Comparing DS to 3DS prelaunch, 3DS will be a tsunami of epic proportion.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
AceBandage said:
Fantasy Life gives me such a LKS vibe.
That would've made me happy if grasshopper was making it. Amano wouldn't even sound so out of place if they were!

Top Bottom