• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Level 5's “major title that will surpass White Knight Chronicles” purported is alive

LuuKyK

People usually hate WKC, but I really didnt think it was THAT bad. It wasnt Ni No Kuni good but it was decent.

I am excited for whatever Level 5 is working on.

Haunted

1295259061_woman-high-jump-fail.gif

I remember being so hyped about WKC... the first hours were really promising, but it was all downhill from there.

SOLDIER

Does anyone have the comparison pics of the female character in WKC? I remember this hilarious transition where she got absurdly busty in one preview, then scaled down by the final.

Percy

Banned
WKC was garbage as a single player experience, but the multiplayer was actually pretty good for the time. I wouldn't be against L5 having an evolved form of that as part of their new game.

Go back to the drawing board for single player though.

Id take it.

I wonder if the series would have boomed like it did if it was still on ps3.

Of course it Wouldn't. The franchise owes it's success almost completely to the popularity of the 3DS lets face it. It would have bombed anywhere else.

Still such a shame what we got with WKC compared to that promising reveal trailer.

I'd be happy with Dark Cloud 3, but at this point I wonder whether they'd just be better making a new IP.

Kamina777

Banned
Wow so much unfair hate for WKC in this thread. Sure the game wasn't something mind blowing but it wasn't as bad as some people try to make it look like either.

Anyway i'm glad this new project still exists and they continue working on it.
I think it was a good rpg, not great by any means but better than the salty folks who "didn't get exactly what they were promised at E3 so they played the first area and returned it".

jiggle

I still want wonderflick:(

I liked WKc 1
Just thought it was incomplete

But wkc2 was a total travesty and rip off

A scooting dog could clear the bar set by WKC. I hope they're prepared to do something more inspired this time around, and of a more consistent quality. Level 5 games usually start out well, and are reasonably well-made, but then they feel like they run out of ideas a few hours in, and just stretch out the game for another 20 hours.

I think the world is ready for a Dark Cloud 3, or a Dark Cloud-esque game though. The second one is still my favourite Level 5 home console game to date.

Ah yes, those initial WKC trailers were something else indeed. I was so, so hyped..

(I actually sort of liked the game.. but lord, the disappointment was real.)

Cornbread78

I loved the mixed model of online and offline play for WKC and wish they would implement it on a future title. The MMO aspect of WKC was so damn good..

Alo0oy

Banned
sörine;180895474 said:
I'm betting their big PS4 RPG will be a Sony funded/owned title.

They have 2, one funded by Sony & one is fully funded by level-5, both are exclusive according to Verendus.

Akzel

I'm one of the rare person who enjoyed a lot WKC so on my side I'll say I can't wait to see that surprise title.

Lady Gaia

2 was worse? Need details.

I actually found enough reasons to make it through the first one, but I didn't survive more than a few hours of the sequel. It assumed you had memorized every detail of the lore in the first one and had finished it the night before. It just dropped you into things with zero introduction so given how much time passed between playing the two I felt utterly disconnected from the world. Then it gave you a meaningless quest with grinding as its only obvious reward. I just couldn't work up motivation to keep at it.

A scooting dog could clear the bar set by WKC. I hope they're prepared to do something more inspired this time around, and of a more consistent quality. Level 5 games usually start out well, and are reasonably well-made, but then they feel like they run out of ideas a few hours in, and just stretch out the game for another 20 hours.

I think that's a really good way to summarise Level-5 games. I gave up on Dark Chronicle after 60-something hours of play, when it suddenly decided I needed to return to all the dungeons and get special star items, or some shit.

I think the world is ready for a Dark Cloud 3, or a Dark Cloud-esque game though. The second one is still my favourite Level 5 home console game to date.

I always found it a little puzzling why Sony didn't support Dark Cloud to have as their equivalent of Zelda or Fable. I mean, I don't think either game was without considerable flaws, but it was in a good position to become their mainstay fantasy/adventure series and it was a waste that they just let it languish.

sörine

Banned
They have 2, one funded by Sony & one is fully funded by level-5, both are exclusive according to Verendus.
I'm skeptical but we'll see. Given the state on PS4 in Japan I'd expect the self-funded vanity project to probably pull a Ninokuni if it continues.

theofficefan99

WKC was probably the worst game of last generation for me. I can't think of a single redeeming quality. Hoping for a Dark Cloud 3 or a new IP.

Elios83

Not the first time we're discussing about this PS4 RPG from Level 5 :D I still hope it's an other collaboration with Studio Ghibli but not for a Ni No Kuni sequel since I'd like to see something more mature. If it's developed through a partnership with Sony it will be a new IP anyway.
Also I hope they can announce the project as soon as possible although Hino's answer on the matter doesn't seem to suggest an imminent announcement is in store, probably next year :/

WKC's failings are painful in the eyes of many who had expectations for that franchise, but I wouldn't take that reference so much more than just a reference to the scope and intended ambition of WKC.

I mean, the reality is that L-5 has not really returned to making IPs or games that slant towards the older audience more in recent years. Youkai is a predominantly children-focused IP, and even NnK leans that way a bit more.

They've improved a lot since their WKC years. Let's just wait and see. Ambitious games, they take time.

Blue-kun

I'm not sure about surprassing the actual game, but if they can surpass the WKC PSP game's soundtrack then we should definitely be in for a treat.

Agematsu was destryoying on that one. Ren Force Attack still all too good.

Mr. RPG

I'm losing hope that there is even a game in the works at all anymore.

Level-5 seems to only really care about handheld and mobile games nowadays.

I just want Dark Cloud 3. They teased it a long time ago and I'm still bitter about it.

Mikey Jr.

Sorry for the bump, but where the fuck is this game?

Supposed to be announced at E3. Misses E3.

Maybe TGS? Misses TGS.

PGW? Maybe a good fit there? Misses PGW.

Only place left is PSX until the next big conference in June with E3.

The last big console game they did was Ni No Kuni back in 2011. It seems like its been Yokai Watch since then essentially.

If we believe rumours, Horizon's reveal could've been done in 2014 instead of 2015. Sometimes game announcements can be delayed an entire year or more. Games take time.

Also, Level-5 has their own press conference, Level-5 Vision.

Sorry for the bump, but where the fuck is this game?

Supposed to be announced at E3. Misses E3.

Maybe TGS? Misses TGS.

PGW? Maybe a good fit there? Misses PGW.

Only place left is PSX until the next big conference in June with E3.

The last big console game they did was Ni No Kuni back in 2011. It seems like its been Yokai Watch since then essentially.

Yokai Watch has put a ton of $$$ in their pockets. And really for us in the west Ni No Kuni was only in 2013. So it was pretty recent.

But the chances of a new game reveal from Level 5 at a paris games show focusing mainly on the European development studios was a huge stretch.

I'd say there is a decent chance to see a reveal at PSX. If not then, who knows. Restart the cycle for 2016. Could very easily be a Holiday 2017 type title considering how insanely packed 2016 is at this point.

Top Bottom