• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG CX do not support Dolby Vision 120Hz for games.

Jigga117

Xbox Series X And S Start Receiving Dolby Vision Gaming Upgrade (forbes.com)

It also appears, too, that the system in testing now only works with 4:2:2 and 60Hz signals, not 120Hz 4:4:4. This seems an odd limitation given that you wouldn’t imagine that a Dolby Vision implementation of this sort would add significantly to the bandwidth of the signal the console is putting out. We need to bear in mind, though, that this is a test build, so things could change before the final version is launched.

Applying Dolby Vision in this way on the Xbox Series X/S runs against expectations based on how the format works in the PC world, where the format has to be coded into a game. However, when I chatted with Dolby about DV on the Xbox a few weeks ago, it was certainly implied, at least, that there would be specific games supporting it. So it could be that the final Xbox Dolby Vision game functionality will work on two levels.

Initial reports from some Alpha Ring gamers suggest that the brightness, black levels and color saturations of HDR games all appear more refined with the Dolby Vision HDR system in play than they do in their original HDR10 forms

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Dolby Vision is barely any better than HDR10? hahaha ok.

Dolby Vision is the gold standard of HDR. basic HDR sucks in comparison.
Watch some hdtvtest comparisons. It is better but it's barely noticeable without direct comparison... And especially less noticeable on oled because brightness is not there and lg dynamic tone mapping does not a bad job.
Btw DV is really weird to play. On pc there is currently no player to watch dv Content in.

Jigga117

Watch some hdtvtest comparisons. It is better but it's barely noticeable without direct comparison... And especially less noticeable on oled because brightness is not there and lg dynamic tone mapping does not a bad job.
Btw DV is really weird to play. On pc there is currently no player to watch dv Content in.

Not talking about movies and PC. The test is on Xbox and games and multiple tvs not just LG.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Not only I think 0 games support dolby vision, it's barely any better than hdr10 or whatever it is called.
I have c1 so I suppose it also dont support DV ?

You don't necessarily need it to have amazing looking games, but it has wider color gamut for 12-bit. Overall, it needs something higher than 1,000 nits at least to start having any kinda gain, and also have 12-bit content and a 12-bit panel:

Color-gamut-coverage-e1524310112880.jpg

So far, the advantage is pretty minor now until we get 12-bit panel TV's. But of course downsampled to 10-bit it would be better than native 10-bit, but very minor.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

AFAIK, DV content is mastered at around 4,000 nits and up to 10,000 nits. Until we pass 1,000 nits comfortably and have 12-bit panels, you're not messing much if any.

rofif

Banned
AFAIK, DV content is mastered at around 4,000 nits and up to 10,000 nits. Until we pass 1,000 nits comfortably and have 12-bit panels, you're not messing much if any.
Right... Oleds do 700 peak window and maybe 150 full white screen. Lcd are kinda crap and I would not want to return to lcd.
So 4000 nits mastering really is for the future.
That's said, I am used too running ips locked to 100 nits so all of this oled and hdr stuff is blowing my mind now

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I would assume this is due to the 40Gbps limit to the HDMI 2.1 on LG CXs. 40Gbps gets you 4K HDR (10-bit) at 120hz but not Dolby Vision (12-bit), which needs 48Gbps bandwidth.
Yeah it sucks these consoles/tvs are offering a downgraded experience

Jigga117

Yeah it sucks these consoles/tvs are offering a downgraded experience

The bafoonery with this guy ramains at an all time high. He loves to bash LG and with misinformation at that. None of the displays can do 12 bit 4k@120hz which includes the LG C9 that does have a 48Gbps HDMI 2.1. The display is 10 bit and the cause of the limitation. No 10 bit display is designed or expected to do 12bit even if we are talking about 12bit 4k@60. He also was claiming in other videos that the CX won’t be able to do 4k@120hz BECAUSE it is 40Gbps.

Then here he is claiming he believes the Xbox Series X is full 48Gbps trying to claim Vincent didn’t know what he was talking about even though the HotChips video suggested and of course Vincent proofed it was because it is all that’s required for 10bit panels. No current display needs to have a 48Gbps. I don’t get advantage from it on a C9. At best it is for bragging purposes only.

When 12bit displays are finally on the market then look forward to 48Gbps and higher whenever they finally upgrade the spec. It isn’t the consoles, TVs, receivers or the HDMI cable. It is the whole industry following a standard while people are trying to squeeze and claim a capability not currently expected.

Last edited:

Rossco EZ

The bafoonery with this guy ramains at an all time high. He loves to bash LG and with misinformation at that. None of the displays can do 12 bit 4k@120hz which includes the LG C9 that does have a 48Gbps HDMI 2.1. The display is 10 bit and the cause of the limitation. No 10 bit display is designed or expected to do 12bit even if we are talking about 12bit 4k@60. He also was claiming in other videos that the CX won’t be able to do 4k@120hz BECAUSE it is 40Gbps.

Then here he is claiming he believes the Xbox Series X is full 48Gbps trying to claim Vincent didn’t know what he was talking about even though the HotChips video suggested and of course Vincent proofed it was because it is all that’s required for 10bit panels. No current display needs to have a 48Gbps. I don’t get advantage from it on a C9. At best it is for bragging purposes only.

When 12bit displays are finally on the market then look forward to 48Gbps and higher whenever they finally upgrade the spec. It isn’t the consoles, TVs, receivers or the HDMI cable. It is the whole industry following a standard while people are trying to squeeze and claim a capability not currently expected.

refreshing to see someone who knows there stuff (y)

skneogaf

If anyone wants to see the difference this is a video that shows dolby vision vs hdr10 in battlefield 1.

Look at things like the sun for comparisons.

evanft

Dude just said that there was no such thing as lossless compression. LMAO wut?

Top Bottom