• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG CX do not support Dolby Vision 120Hz for games.

OverHeat

« generous god »
fLezWGX.jpg

Imtjnotu

Ya this has been a known issue
Something to do with Dolby not updating the Xbox meta data for use with 4k120.

Maybe this year things will change

Jigga117

I would assume this is due to the 40Gbps limit to the HDMI 2.1 on LG CXs. 40Gbps gets you 4K HDR (10-bit) at 120hz but not Dolby Vision (12-bit), which needs 48Gbps bandwidth.
It is pointless to state this about Dolby Vision being 12bit which needs 48Gbps when the displays are 10bit panels. The "limit" is the max of what 40Gbps is supposed to do which is 4k@120hz 444 HDR 10bit

Rossco EZ

maybe this will explain why dolby vision isn’t available at 120fps, i’m also guessing OP is an xbox insider.
https://www.whathifi.com/news/dolby-vision-gaming-arrives-on-xbox-series-x-and-s-but-theres-a-catch

from the link to save people a click

Series X/S gamers with compatible TVs have noticed that HDR games have started playing in Dolby Vision following the latest software update. The feature is currently available to a few Alpha Ring users, members of Xbox’s ‘invite only’ preview club, and only works with 4:2:2 60Hz game content.

In a statement to Forbes, Microsoft said: “As we announced last year, we're excited to be bringing Dolby Vision support for gaming to our new Xbox consoles in 2021. The feature is currently in testing, and we’ll have more to announce on general availability timing and functionality soon."

While many had previously assumed that Dolby Vision HDR would only feature on titles that use the format in their game engines, players are claiming all HDR games are now being shown in the format. Users are claiming the brightness, black levels, and colour saturation of HDR games now appear more refined compared to playing in HDR10. “

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Not only I think 0 games support dolby vision, it's barely any better than hdr10 or whatever it is called.
I have c1 so I suppose it also dont support DV ?

YCoCg

Dolby Vision requires 12bit, these TV's are still using the "slower" 40Gbps for their HDMI2.1 certification instead of the full 48Gbps (I say slower because it's still an insane speed and you're still getting 4k 120Hz at HDR10 instead).

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Dolby Vision requires 12bit, these TV's are still using the "slower" 40Gbps for their HDMI2.1 certification instead of the full 48Gbps (I say slower because it's still an insane speed and you're still getting 4k 120Hz at HDR10 instead).
Vision is mastered in 12 bit but 12 bit is not required to use it.

skneogaf

I've played battlefield 1 and need for speed heat in dolby vision on pc but only at 4k 60fps as my 2080ti is only hdmi 2.0b.

xion4360

how come in that photo everything is in french, but the dolby vision information is in english? maybe an oversight in beta software.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
I would assume this is due to the 40Gbps limit to the HDMI 2.1 on LG CXs. 40Gbps gets you 4K HDR (10-bit) at 120hz but not Dolby Vision (12-bit), which needs 48Gbps bandwidth.

DV pushed a lot more data than HDR, CX is capped at 40gbps i think

Yeah as LG C9 has the full 48Gbps. Although i suppose we won't know for sure until we see a picture of this screen on an LG C9.

It's not because of 40 Gbps ports, stop spreading that misinformation. Xbox series x and PlayStation 5 both don't support 48 Gbps, they're capped at 40 Gbps.

Jigga117

I think so
I think so what? It has VRR standard for 2.1 along with the Series S/X...it doesn't need to. The main device that gets the most benefit with Freesync is AMD cards on PC with displays that are Freesync Premium capable.

Last edited:
I know Dolby Vision is in a lot of things but to really take full advantage of it doesn't it require a 12bit panel which nobody even makes right now? I understand having the actual hardware in your display is better than the software version a lot of companies implemented last year but still I think it's a bit overblown, HDR10 is probably good enough for most people and from what I hear OLED doesn't get bright enough for true HDR10.

Godfavor

Do you have the xbox series x in PC mode or game mode on your TV settings? (From the home dashboard of your tv and tap settings on the gear icon)

On PC mode the sampling method is 4:4:4 so there is not enough bandwidth for anything else. On game mode it is at 4:2:2.
Just a guess

Last edited:
Top Bottom