• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More devs need to utilize 40fps/120hz modes.

Yes this is related to the Starfield news, but if devs in general are going to start dropping 60fps performance modes for games on PS5/XSX then they should at least have 40fps/120hz modes.

Why? Well adding an extra 10 frames per second is far less resource intensive than adding an extra 30 and most games that lock to 30fps have the headroom for it already.

As well with 30fps you get 33.3ms of latency by nature, compared to 16.7ms at 60fps. With 40fps you get 25ms at a base. If you are sensitive to latency that is noticeable. As well outputting in 120hz reduces that latency even further.

Most (all?) Sony First Party games have this 40fps mode and a few third party titles do (that rat Plague game is one I know off the top of my head) and it works wonderfully.

If Jedi Survivor had a 40fps/120hz mode people wouldn't have had as much of a problem with the performance.

Personally I'd be fine with 1080p 40fps/120hz modes, but I know some people would rather 1440p. With upscaling tech constantly improving that might not matter as much for too much longer.

Edit: devs should offer a locked 40fps/120hz mode and an unlocked 40fps/120hz/VRR mode if able. Both need to be present since VRR support on consoles can be finicky.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Sure, more choices is better.

Though, i'm not sure if the 10fps difference is enough to make it better than 30fps. 40fps is still a bit juddery and blurry compared to 60.

IMO VRR needs to be a standard in all displays and target 60fps average. If a game drops to the high 40s, VRR will still sync it and make it look smooth. No need to lock frame rates anymore.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Couldn't agree more.

It might not be for everyone but I'd choose a 40fps fidelity mode over a 60fps performance mode nearly 100% of the time.

Mr Hyde

Pirates Of The Caribbean Agree GIF

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yeah 40 FPS and just VRR modes, absolutely.

It's fucked up on Bethesda part to not include at least VRR options, since, when the pro console hits, they could get better performance on day one.

On the top of that triple buffer vsync for 30FPS, adds a lot of latency, which makes situation even worse.

tmlDan

agreed, why did it become the norm to be 30 fps and not 40? is there a specific reason why that became a standard?

Last edited:

Zuzu

Mhm completely agree. FF16 needs a 40hz mode as well. Performance modes are gonna get progressively worse wrt image quality and graphics as the gen goes on and graphics improve and get more demanding on the hardware. We need 40hz as a standard option.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
They should also add the option for us to PICK the resolution the game is rendered at.
no. get a pc. I want the LEAST possible amount of modes. It goes against optimization.
40 is fine but lets not get crazy. I dont want to be deciding almost anything on a consol

X-Wing

no. get a pc. I want the LEAST possible amount of modes. It goes against optimization.
40 is fine but lets not get crazy. I dont want to be deciding almost anything on a consol

So, you also want them to remove graphical options on PC and optimize to just one GPU type?

Mithos

I agree. We do not need any.
I would just give only 1 option. Unlock fps... just so it's ready for future consoles
Neah, only whatever the developer choose, just keep the 4k almost 30fps or almost 60fps instead of giving us the option to pick 1440p instead and thus locking the fps to 30 or 60fps (as an example).

Del_X

That's cool but Starfield wouldn't even be able to hit 40fps consistently. There's more to graphics rendering than resolution - if the game logic isn't processed inside a 33.33ms buffer, it doesn't matter if the GPU has overhead.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
That's cool but Starfield wouldn't even be able to hit 40fps consistently. There's more to graphics rendering than resolution - if the game logic isn't processed inside a 33.33ms buffer, it doesn't matter if the GPU has overhead.
What is there to process that other games dont? Its not like the game is mining for bitcoins while playing. Its doing what Skyrim does, and that runs on any old toaster. Forza was more physics logic to handle than whatever this prettier version of Fallout is doing.

Del_X

What is there to process that other games dont? Its not like the game is mining for bitcoins while playing. Its doing what Skyrim does, and that runs on any old toaster. Forza was more physics logic to handle than whatever this prettier version of Fallout is doing.

GI is probably partially processed by the CPU, the enemy AI is more advanced than skyrim, there's a much more robust physics simulation.

ryzen1

Though, i'm not sure if the 10fps difference is enough to make it better than 30fps. 40fps is still a bit juddery and blurry compared to 60.
I can't play 30fps games on my oled. It feels super bad.
But with 40fps I can actually enjoy the game. So these 10fps make a difference for me.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No, but you seem to be.
Different modes are optional. You only bother with them if you want to.
Nothing is optional. If there are many modes, devs need to develop them, implement, test and so on.
It's still not a pc. Things break if you change fps or even just resolution.

And the other part of the equation - I don't want to be choosing if I want pretty graphics or ugly graphics. I want to play the game the way it was meant to be.
There is a device for you. Keep using it. tip - it's not a console

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
GI is probably partially processed by the CPU, the enemy AI is more advanced than skyrim, there's a much more robust physics simulation.
Where is this robust Physics simulation showing? AI for shooter like games peaked when FEAR released in 2005. Really dont know what the game is doing thats so physics intense.

Don't matter, if its not 60 FPS people would still complain.

Most people especially on console don't want to sacrifice resolution for frame rates.

People like pretty graphics, especially if they have a 4K TV.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I'm begging for 40hz modes in Starfield and FFXVI. Those games are perfect for that kind of presentation and would look much better on an OLED (and play better too) than 30hz.

oji-san

Banned
Tbh i couldn't see the difference between 30fps and 40fps when played A Plague Tale Requiem on XSX with C9, so not so keen on that option.

Top Bottom