• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More devs need to utilize 40fps/120hz modes.

th4tguy

Yes BUT also more people need tvs that support vrr at 120hz.
It’s a small percentage of people that this can actually help and even smaller are those that make use of the feature.
It’s understandable why some devs skip the feature.

sn0man

no. get a pc. I want the LEAST possible amount of modes. It goes against optimization.
40 is fine but lets not get crazy. I dont want to be deciding almost anything on a consol
The game should check for 120hz support. If so the game defaults to 40FPS quality. If not it defaults to 30fps quality. Save Perf mode for a setting. If you know what perf mode is, go to the options in game and select it. Done!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The game should check for 120hz support. If so the game defaults to 40FPS quality. If not it defaults to 30fps quality. Save Perf mode for a setting. If you know what perf mode is, go to the options in game and select it. Done!
Some games do that and it's pretty good. Uncharte4 for remaster for example. It's seamless

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Dumb And Dumber GIF

TrebleShot

No 40fps is still visually dirty. Controls feel better but there are 30 modes no like FF16 that have decent response times at 30fps

Not if you have a 60hz tv, which is what most people have. Yes the vast majority of people still only own 1080p 60hz tvs.
At 60hz, 40fps locked is jittery.
...I mean by definition a 40fps mode requires a 120hz capable display. Just that 120hz display doesn't need VRR in addition.

Reactions: Fbh

nowhat

I recently replayed R&C Rift Apart for a while. I can't recall what the incentive was, but it was in part to test out the 40fps mode.

And holy fuck. 40+fps (VRR unlocked) is just phenomenal. All the bling with really fluid gameplay. There were a few instances during cutscenes when the frame rate dipped to 30-something and it was noticeable, but by and large, it worked really well with pristine image quality. This is the mode I'll be going with in Spider-Man 2.

Kupfer

Agreed. 40fps120hz should be the new console standard. No need to choose between resolution, raytracing or framerate.
Just give me as much variety and graphical fidelity as you can stuff into the 40fps120hz mode and I'm fine.

Last edited:

th4tguy

...I mean by definition a 40fps mode requires a 120hz capable display. Just that 120hz display doesn't need VRR in addition.
right, which brings us back to the point of why some devs skip over these modes. Only a small percentage of gamers actually make use of these features.
Like I originally stated though. I still think more games should support different performance modes. I just understand why some decide not to.

right, which brings us back to the point of why some devs skip over these modes. Only a small percentage of gamers actually make use of these features.
Like I originally stated though. I still think more games should support different performance modes. I just understand why some decide not to.
Thankfully 120hz support seems to be becoming the standard for displays now.

...Sony just needs to add FreeSync support rather than just 2.1 VRR to the PS5.

Last edited:

scydrex

Agreed. I tried 40fps in all the PS5 games that support it. I love it so far. Big difference for me between 30fps and 40fps. Perfect balance mode for me. Yeah with 120hz tv it should come with 40fps from default. Started playing FF16 yesterday and it feels fine with 30fps it has low input lag but this game screams for a 40fps mode it will be awesome.

Thankfully 120hz support seems to be becoming the standard for displays now.

...Sony just needs to add FreeSync support rather than just 2.1 VRR to the PS5.
It is. And that is why it's utterly inane for anybody to be complaining about gamers wanting 60fps minimally as an option in their console games. It's the platform holders and display/tech industry that are pushing consumer habits into higher and higher framerates. We are sold displays capable of 120hz, sold consoles capable of it, and then told to accept games at 30fps? no thanks.

I really appreciate Sony and what they've done so far. I don't agree with the notion that 30fps games are going to come to the platform en masse... that ain't going to fly. This is why we're going to get PS5 Pro... to maintain that sweet 60fps in 1st party games going forward.

DF stating that 30fps games are coming to consoles later in the gen were simply shilling for MS.

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

Alot of dev's are stuck in their ways about 30 fps, it's ridiculous. You cant do 60 fps, fine - what about 40?

I hate it. It's like the default thought is - 'Hmm, we cant do 60, 30 it is'.

Famipan

Sure, more choices is better.

Though, i'm not sure if the 10fps difference is enough to make it better than 30fps. 40fps is still a bit juddery and blurry compared to 60.

IMO VRR needs to be a standard in all displays and target 60fps average. If a game drops to the high 40s, VRR will still sync it and make it look smooth. No need to lock frame rates anymore.

40fps makes a big difference compared to 30fps. If you have the chance, compare BOTW in CEMU 30fps and 40fps. For 3rd person games such as Zelda and Assassin’s Creed, 40fps works great!

I wish Rockstar would get their shit together and push out a 40fps PS5-patch to RDR2.

I don’t think VRR is a heaven sent solution. Activating VRR feels often a bit unsmooth with uneven inputlag and PS5 gets noisy due to horrible uncapped framerate. Also VRR lowers brightness and disables BFI for those who cares.

In RE3 Remake PS5 version I could still feel the uneven framerate on my LG C1 so I went with PS4 Pro version instead to get a locked 60.
But for VRR in range above 60fps it’s less noticable, but then I still prefer locked 60 over a widely fluctuating 65-120hz. VRR is only good if it’s between 90-120hz probably.

Last edited:

skit_data

Yeah, it's a neat thing that may become more relevant as the gen goes on. Sadly it won't help me personally since the LG C8 can only output 120 Hz at 1080p. I guess it could become handy if we start seeing games with only a 30fps@1440p-4k output that offers 40fps@1080p or something.

But for VRR in range above 60fps it’s less noticable, but then I still prefer locked 60 over a widely fluctuating 65-120hz. VRR is only good if it’s between 90-120hz probably.
You are right. While VRR does work for flucuating framerates between 40fps and 60fps it delivers much better results at framerates above 60fps and makes the fluctuating 90-120 range honestly completely unnoticeable.

Fbh

Agreed.

I've played both Insomniac Ps5 games in their 40fps mode and it does strike a nice balance between feeling noticeably smoother than 30fps without sacrificing visuals.

It's looking like moving forward more and more devs will go back to focusing on graphics instead of performance. So I hope at least 40fps remains a choice

nkarafo

Also VRR lowers brightness and disables BFI for those who cares.
Huh? I never had this brightness issue.

BFI does that, not VRR.

Also, it's natural that VRR and BFI wouldn't work together. BFI needs a locked 120hz to function properly (for 60fps content).

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
Visually it's close, but less of a slideshow. Latency is drastically better with 40 fps. It's really easy to test this in menus.
TBH i didn't test it side by side or even toggled the VRR off to see hows the 30fps compared to the 40fps. I have a LG C9 and i don't know if it's only on my set (tho i had previously also a LG 4K LED with the same problem) every game less then 60fps have some kind of ghosting every time i pan the camera.. it doesn't matter what device i'm using (PC, XSX or PS5), it doesn't matter what setting i change on the TV or what HDMI cable i use.. same problem.
The LG C9 was my most expensive electronic device i ever bought and my luck goes the last 5 years was a blessed 60fps haven (2 years on PC and almost 3 with SX and PS5), almost didn't play any 30fps games in those 5 years so i can't say i was bothered by that too much but sadly i regret buying LG TV as i suspect it may be the LG motion as it can't be the C9 as i have another LG TV before and also same problem. At this point i don't have the power to deal with it and no money to get another TV so that's that.

Shut0wen

Anyone that thinks 40fps for a first person shooter is good need there eyes tested, ideal is 60 or over or 30 lowest anything between is literally pointless

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I’d say it’s a pretty decent compromise from what I’ve seen in Rift Apart. I gave it a shot when I started up that game with my kiddo last week and thought it was pretty smooth.

And yeah FFXVI desperately needs that mode

Last edited:
Top Bottom