• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT9| The Return of the Queen

Dany

Banned
I'm replaying the series for the millionth time right now. Kaiden is a love interest in the third game only. The second game is widely regarded as the best and I somewhat agree. The mechanics, gunplay and action of it is more cohesive and meshes so perfectly. The third game builds on this a lot more but with some story choices that some fans hated. :p

DOWN

Banned
I'm also replaying the series. ME1 is dated tech wise, 2 has legit like no main plot because it tried too much with the cast (which all got thrown away since they weren't as memorable as the first game's), and 3 was a nice middle ground with a weird ass conclusion that is frankly pretty easy to look past if you have perspective on your life
I'm on of the weirdos that liked the first Mass Effect more than the others.
You mean you are perfectly normal like the me and the dev team creating Andromeda to be like ME1. It just oozed neon moodiness and the sequels were a lot more GAMER PUNCH GRIT SHOOTER. Still great sequels though.

Maledict

I really don't understand how anyone can say the ME2 cast was less memorable than the Me1 cast. The Me1 cast, Wrex included, was the definition of bland for me. Unmemorable characters who generally only developed into fully fledged personsas later in. I mean, Kaiden, Liara, Garrus? Ultimate snore.

None had anything on Thane, Mordin, Samara, Kasumi or the rest of the ME2 cast,

(Jacob not included!)

DOWN

Banned
I really don't understand how anyone can say the ME2 cast was less memorable than the Me1 cast. The Me1 cast, Wrex included, was the definition of bland for me. Unmemorable characters who generally only developed into fully fledged personsas later in. I mean, Kaiden, Liara, Garrus? Ultimate snore.

None had anything on Thane, Mordin, Samara, Kasumi or the rest of the ME2 cast,

(Jacob not included!)
Jacob, Miranda, Grunt, Zaeed, Kasumi, and Legion had terrible attempts at chemistry and the DLC characters didn't even have dialogue options. The rest of the characters didn't get great stories until the third game (Mordin and Miranda especially had nice improvements by then). There were just to many dead weight archetypes trying to fill the game up. Maybe Thane, Jack, and Samara had good missions, but the rest were rough. The 2nd game was throwing every character idea at the wall and desperately hoping they'd stick despite lacking the much bigger stories the original game's squad were each related to.

Bladenic

Miranda stan here. Probably cuz I was watching Chuck at the time and love Yvonne Stravoski.

And yeah the ME1 cast were all huge bores until later. I never jumped on the Liara bandwagon because I was always like "what, she's boring as fuck!" although she grew on me by the 3rd game.

And Jacob is the worst character ever conceived in fiction.

Maledict

Jacob, Miranda, Grunt, Zaeed, Kasumi, and Legion had terrible attempts at chemistry and the DLC characters didn't even have dialogue options. The rest of the characters didn't get great stories until the third game (Mordin and Miranda especially had nice improvements by then). There were just to many dead weight archetypes trying to fill the game up. Maybe Thane, Jack, and Samara had good missions, but the rest were rough. The 2nd game was throwing every character idea at the wall and desperately hoping they'd stick despite lacking the much bigger stories the original game's squad were each related to.

The original squad had one mission each at best which generally were terrible? (Wrex's 'go get my armour' mission in particular). ME2 had character missions with zero combat and pure character development, whereas Me1 missions were just more cut and paste stuff?

I mean, don't get me wrong I loved ME1 and the drama and storyline it had, but in terms of character writing and development I think Bioware learnt huge amounts from that game about what makes a good character and implemented it in ME2. Garrus and Liara are such different, and better developed, characters by the end of ME2.

(Plus, none of the characters had the emotional impact of Mordin and Thane in ME3 for me, despite being around longer).

I mean, I get that people prefer Me1 to ME2 - I don't, but I can understand why. But I can't understand thinking the characters in Me1 were better. Also worth remembering that your characters, and involvement with them, had a much bigger part to play and pay-off in Me2s end mission compared to Me1, where it didn't matter who you brought and the dialogue you got depended on the order you clicked on them (so I had Ashely telling me to save the Destiny's Ascension, and Garrus telling me to let it burn which make no sense at all in the slightest.

EDIT: oh gods, this isn't the ME community thread. Apologies folks will stop posting about ME here unless it's LGBT stuff!

Zalasta

But I honestly can't shake the feeling that, since he's quite into fitness, he'll eventually want to date someone who matches his lifestyle more. At least there's no language barrier this time around since we both can speak English.

Not necessarily, but it certainly would help for you to take an interest and/or be supportive of that lifestyle. My boyfriend is a bodybuilder and I'm not. We workout together occasionally but I definitely train much less frequently than he does when we do it separately. However, I cook a lot of meals for him, so while I do not share his commitment inside the gym, I do nurture his interest outside of it. Anyway, I would say it's a bit too early for you to worry about it just after one date.

I'm replaying the series for the millionth time right now. Kaiden is a love interest in the third game only. The second game is widely regarded as the best and I somewhat agree. The mechanics, gunplay and action of it is more cohesive and meshes so perfectly. The third game builds on this a lot more but with some story choices that some fans hated. :p

Is it? I absolutely loved 2 but I could have sworn I saw it constantly being negatively compared to ME1 on this forum.

Emouse

I got Pokemon sun a day early (UK here) and I'm stuck at the character screen cuz I can't decide if I wanna be a boy or a girl, good stuff 👍

its just like real life

DOWN

Banned
Is it? I absolutely loved 2 but I could have sworn I saw it constantly being negatively compared to ME1 on this forum.
Mmm I think 2 and 3 are objectively better games even if much of GAF including myself prefer the first game because of its vision

Dany

Banned
Mmm I think 2 and 3 are objectively better games even if much of GAF including myself prefer the first game because of its vision

ME1 is still my favorite in the series. It isn't perfect but it really is quite unique in so many regards. The music, atmosphere, story and etc. It laid a great groundwork for a franchise.

Kater

Banned
Can't say I can agree with the ME1 team being bland. I miss these elevator conversations, Wrex always made people uncomfortable. I like the crew I built so far in ME2 as well. Garrus also changed quite a bit, for the better. Not liking that Cerberus cheerleader though, but that could change. Oh, and Jacob's a flirty one haha. Cute, too. Won't replace Kaidan for my FemShep but I like to tease him.

Maledict

That post is obscene.

No soundtrack with "Suicide Run" on it can be compared negatively to another soundtrack. I think both 1 and 3 are strong soundtracks (1 has some amazing highs - but also truly fucking awful lows, whereas ME2 is more even). 3 unfortunately is pretty forgettable apart from the Clint Mansell piece, which still makes me sad (because of the catastrophic ending fiasco it was tier to).

As LGBT forum - I do appreciate ME3 for the Kaiden relationship. It's the first time an LGBT relationship in a game as a male lead character was treated exactly as normal as the other relationships, and that meant a lot. It was also the first time that I can recall in a bioware game where we had proper homosexual only content - rather than everyone being bi, which is an easy cop out (unlike in real life!).

ME1 music >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ME3>>>>>>>> ME2

I thought ME2 had better music than 3 but agree with ME1>>>ME2 in music.

Can't say I can agree with the ME1 team being bland. I miss these elevator conversations, Wrex always made people uncomfortable. I like the crew I built so far in ME2 as well. Garrus also changed quite a bit, for the better. Not liking that Cerberus cheerleader though, but that could change. Oh, and Jacob's a flirty one haha. Cute, too. Won't replace Kaidan for my FemShep but I like to tease him.

Google Jacob's face model Kenyon Glover
tumblr_n1qp2u2G4u1sqsk8do9_r1_250.gif

B-Dex

Let's talk about Symmetra getting her revamp to become the one true queen of Overwatch. I've never been more disappointed in a game franchise than ME TBH. Jacob and Kaidan and that sickly one that is gonna die can get it though.

IvorB

I really liked Mass Effect 2. One of the only games I've elected to play a female character and it was great. The ending mission was amazing and Samara was my fav. I got Mass Effect for a tenner after and really wanted to like it but the gameplay was just too terrible and I didn't last more than an hour or two.

Symmertra is still going to be bad unless her numbers are super good and, also just move her to defense.
I am just amazed how quick they did that, it usually happens in moba, but never that soon. It is kinda like come on you should have fixed that in beta or alpha.
Im a dirty tracer and d.va fan.

I really liked Mass Effect 2. One of the only games I've elected to play a female character and it was great. The ending mission was amazing and Samara was my fav. I got Mass Effect for a tenner after and really wanted to like it but the gameplay was just too terrible and I didn't last more than an hour or two.

I preferred how Jennifer Hale performed her lines compared to maleshep.

Bladenic

I got Pokemon sun a day early (UK here) and I'm stuck at the character screen cuz I can't decide if I wanna be a boy or a girl, good stuff 👍

its just like real life

Girl because of the immense customization options. Dudes get like nothing just like X and Y. My Shania looks like a bad bitch.

Emouse

Girl because of the immense customization options. Dudes get like nothing just like X and Y. My Shania looks like a bad bitch.

Huh that's a shame kinda expected more for the male trainer because of the lack in X/Y, I went female trainer anyways, that lil chicken hat is 2cute

DOWN

Banned
I preferred how Jennifer Hale performed her lines compared to maleshep.
Her voice sucks so bad in ME trilogy

She read that her character was military and put on the most husky bad deepened inflection I can imagine. Her real voice is good but in ME she was unbearable. Also femShep had no real character model. Just a bunch of stuff they always whipped up in engine.

She read that her character was military and put on the most husky bad deepened inflection I can imagine. Her real voice is good but in ME she was unbearable. Also femShep had no real character model. Just a bunch of stuff they always whipped up in engine.

She's better in Eternal Darkness but that was a much better game.

Unbearable is a stretch, maleshep sounded really bland and almost robotic at times.

Renegade maleshep was better though.

Kater

Banned
I thought ME2 had better music than 3 but agree with ME1>>>ME2 in music.

Google Jacob's face model Kenyon Glover
tumblr_n1qp2u2G4u1sqsk8do9_r1_250.gif
10608400_10152950144532533_6838372592563204447_o-1280x640.jpg

😍

You mean for MShep, right? I flirted and had something with him in the first game as FemShep.

One thing that I really want them to do in future games is to phrase dialogue choices better by the way. They did well with Dragon Age. Hawke, the Warden and the Inquisitor all know what they are saying. Meanwhile you have Shepard in Mass Effect who doesn't know what they are saying (or rather, I don't :D). Someone said he dislikes Turians and I picked the dialogue choice "don't hurt my lovely turian friend" and Shepard threatened him, saying "don't start a fight or I cut you", something along those lines lol.

Kater

Banned
Bioware seems to have a trend of male VA sounding bored/dull while the females are more emotive.
I agree, they screw up with male VA a lot. The British Male voice in DAI is really not great, the American Male is so-so. MHawke in DA2 is okay though. On par with FHawke, at least. Pretty solid. Didn't Hale (FemShep VA) also voice Krem in DAI?

Oh fuck. One of my former coworkers is going to have her baby. Almost 3 months premature...

I'm really hoping things turn out for the best. Don't really know what else I can do but offer emotional support.

Salarians

ME1 is great. ME2 has its issues but is the better game overall. ME3 is junk.

ME1 Ash is secretly the best character and I'm still not over their mistreatment of her post-ME1.

Kaidan and Steve romances are ok but Dragon Age's m/m romances are better (Dorian #1).

Miranda is my favorite character despite how Bioware treats her.

mirandasalut.gif

Symmetra changes look good and should finally bring her to the level she deserves.

ME3 is a great game with a shit ending and some bad design choices, tbh. The gunplay and power usage in it is my favorite and Garrus remains best bro.

It's too bad the Gay Male romance options were all... well... really really shitty. Even Traynor was better than lame ass pilot dude.

I've been thinking about getting the PS3 bundle, does anybody know how much the ME3 DLC is? I know 1 and 2 come with their DLC but 3 doesn't and I have some of the DLC on Xbox 360 but thanks to an issue with an old email I can't log on to Xbox live on the account that has all my games on it anymore.

kuYuri

I think ME2 and ME3 are better games overall, but the one thing ME1 does better than the others that I appreciate most is atmosphere. That sense of wonder of exploring the galaxy and landing on (admittedly mostly lifeless) planets with amazing looking skyboxes is amazing. I've had the same desktop wallpaper on my PC for years. It's the skybox from planet Agebinium, located in a binary star system. Seeing two giants stars in the sky fills me with a sense of wonder and hope. I should post that or maybe some other sky boxes sometime.

Bladenic

ME1 is great. ME2 has its issues but is the better game overall. ME3 is junk.

ME1 Ash is secretly the best character and I'm still not over their mistreatment of her post-ME1.

Kaidan and Steve romances are ok but Dragon Age's m/m romances are better (Dorian #1).

Miranda is my favorite character despite how Bioware treats her.

mirandasalut.gif

Symmetra changes look good and should finally bring her to the level she deserves.

YAS Miranda <3

I also love Dorian except for the scene with his father. It was almost too after school special about homosexuality.

OrionX

Dorian got left out in the cold while my Inquisitor rode the bull. It was a tough decision, but in the end Matthias Trevelyan had to go with his heart. <3

Kater

Banned
Miranda Lawson is a likeable, well-developed, and multi-dimensioned character.
That top in the first shot is horrible. Why anyone would choose that is beyond me.

She does look nice but I don't really like her. I like Jack more, she's tough and unapologetic, and she's no pet to someone she has barely any knowledge about. That's way better than a big butt.

Dorian got left out in the cold while my Inquisitor rode the bull. It was a tough decision, but in the end Matthias Trevelyan had to go with his heart. <3
Bull's a nice guy, loved being his kadan. I bet the dates involve slaying dragons haha. I still haven't started Trespasser on my Dorian romance playthrough. I wonder how that plays out later. Sera's romance with my fierce little Cadash played out pretty well and it's a cute gay happy end for Inky and her, I wonder if Dorian and his Amatus get the same. Dorian and Bull is cute too.

Sera is so fucking bubbly and adorable I love her.

I couldn't get over Dorian's lame as shit plot, try as I might, I just couldn't. Bull is fun, but knowing it's Freddie Prinze Jr just kills it for me. I can't find anything he does to be anything other than funny or horrible, dude can't act.

Top Bottom