• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life is Strange: Before the Storm | Spoiler Thread

chadskin

First episode just unlocked for me (EU PSN) so here we go. OT is this way.

siren.gif~c200
UNMARKED SPOILERS BELOW
siren.gif~c200

maxresdefault.jpg

shaneo632

Can anyone tell me if the episode is linear or not? Considering just watching a Let's Play due to the Denuvo nonsense, but if it actually branches a lot I'll probably just wait.

snap

Banned
Is there an OT for this? Would like to hear/read some impressions but don't want to spoil myself.

Can anyone tell me if the episode is linear or not? Considering just watching a Let's Play due to the Denuvo nonsense, but if it actually branches a lot I'll probably just wait.

would probably be hard to tell, in the original all the branching took place in later episodes

Bastion

What are people's thoughts on buying the regular version or the deluxe edition that comes with the extra mission with Max?

jrush64

Banned
Wait this comes out tomorrow??? I thought it was Friday for some reason. I already preordered it anyway so i'm good and can't wait.

What are people's thoughts on buying the regular version or the deluxe edition that comes with the extra mission with Max?

The max episode won't be released until after Chapter 3. The pack can be bought later via the deluxe upgrade pack that's available.

Played through it when it unlocked nearly 11 hours ago, absolutely loved it.

It surprised me by how but I loved the character dynamics starting out, but it was that ending that was something that really grabbed me. I wonder where they're going with that?

Side note, now I'm going to feel sad if I replay Life is Strange because every time she says 'hella', she's saying it in Rachel's memory :(.

I can't wait for Episode 2.

Reedirect

Finished it just now. It was alright, but anyone who thought Chloe was annoying in the original probably won't be much happier here. Good to see some of the old characters back (although with mostly different VA's), and some cool character moments between Chloe and Rachel.

It doesn't quite shake off my feeling that the whole story is completely unnecessary, though, mainly because there is no story yet. You spend half the episode checking up with old characters (and meeting some new ones), and the other half bonding with Rachel. I was honestly a little bored throughout, it doesn't have the certain spark like the original, although it's definitely ambitious and not half bad.

MRORANGE

No OT?

I liked the original, but I saw some of the first episode on YT and it does not have the same appeal. I feel like I might pick it up on a Steam sale. They should have honestly focused more on Life is Strange 2, this feels like beating a dead horse deal.

Bloody Square Enix milking the cow again.

Interested in what reviews will say as I'm still on the fence due to Dontnod not developing it and Chloe having a different voice actress. If it ends up being good after all the episodes are out I'll most likely pick it up though

Finished it up a while ago. I enjoyed it enough. There's some issues but overall it was fun. If it's something others don't like I get it. Chloe's new VA was okay, and she did sound close to Burch every now and again. Rachel's voice grew on me more and more. Frank and maybe Victoria seem to be the only returning characters to keep their old voices.

Interested to see what happens with the likes of Elliot/Steph/Mikey/Samantha given they're new characters so I wonder if there's a reason why we don't see them in the original when all are friends or at least known to Chloe.

Curious to see where the Rachel's dad affair thing goes, mainly because there's presumably going to be a mystery over the woman he's having it with, especially with her appearing in the end near the fire watching it.

Also was the ending meant to imply something supernatural with Rachel's screams causing strong bursts of wind or was I seeing it wrong?

Just beat it. I honestly didn't think that this needed to exist, but it is so good and makes me love Chloe even more. I thought her VA was awesome after the first 10 mins or so of getting used to her.

Enjoy, GAF.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get the bonus episode later if you don't buy the deluxe edition now? Someone mentioned an upgrade pack but I can't find anything about it on PSN.

Finished it up a while ago. I enjoyed it enough. There's some issues but overall it was fun. If it's something others don't like I get it. Chloe's new VA was okay, and she did sound close to Burch every now and again. Rachel's voice grew on me more and more. Frank and maybe Victoria seem to be the only returning characters to keep their old voices.

Interested to see what happens with the likes of Elliot/Steph/Mikey/Samantha given they're new characters so I wonder if there's a reason why we don't see them in the original when all are friends or at least known to Chloe.

Curious to see where the Rachel's dad affair thing goes, mainly because there's presumably going to be a mystery over the woman he's having it with, especially with her appearing in the end near the fire watching it.

Also was the ending meant to imply something supernatural with Rachel's screams causing strong bursts of wind or was I seeing it wrong?
I assumed they might not be in the main series because this takes place three years before. They could have been seniors who left but I am very interested to see if something else happens.

As for the ending, that's what I got from it as well. Something wasn't right with how she caused the wind to pick up like that, and there's surely something going on with that lady who was smoking.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get the bonus episode later if you don't buy the deluxe edition now? Someone mentioned an upgrade pack but I can't find anything about it on PSN.
Has the game unlocked / store updated? It's certainly a thing.

WeCUry4.png

Has the game unlocked / store updated? It's certainly a thing.

WeCUry4.png

Thanks! Might just be that it doesn't unlock in the US for another 3 hours. Steam already shows the upgrade pack as well.

Just beat it. I honestly didn't think that this needed to exist, but it is so good and makes me love Chloe even more. I thought her VA was awesome after the first 10 mins or so of getting used to her.

Enjoy, GAF.

As a big Chloe fan (we do exist), you have me super pumped for this.

Stuart444

I thought Chloe sounded pretty much like her old VA personally.

Anyway just finished it and yeah, ending seemed almost supernatural with the screams. And that mystery woman...

Really enjoyed it.

As for saying this didn't need to exist, maybe not but it's a good supplemental material which gives you more insight into Chloe and Rachel's friendship and gives you more about Rachel in general. It's good stuff honestly.

edit: The bit after the credits (for next time) was just a guy slamming on the door with Chloe holding it saying "NO ONE STEALS FROM ME" "Where is my fucking Money" etc.

I'm guessing cause I stole the money (and used it to buy pot from Frank), anyone know what would be there if we didn't steal the money?

Just finished it. The first half didnt really hook me, but the last half did. I was pessimistic coming into, but now I cant wait for the next one! I got over Chloes new VA after like 5 minutes and thought they did a fine job.

Really enjoyed being back in Arcadia Bay with all these characters. Damn fucking shame they cheaped out on the VA though and changed, literally, every single voice in the game. Bit of a whiplash there.

Looking forward to episode two.

Reedirect

Really enjoyed being back in Arcadia Bay with all these characters. Damn fucking shame they cheaped out on the VA though and changed, literally, every single voice in the game. Bit of a whiplash there.

Not every one. Frank, Victoria, Miss Grant and I think William are the same. The rest is different, though, and it's a damn shame.

Isn't it because of the SAG-AFTRA strike?

Not every one. Frank, Victoria, Miss Grant and I think William are the same. The rest is different, though, and it's a damn shame.
Frank and Victoria are easily the best soundalikes they found, but I'm 99% sure they're still not the originals. I'd love to be wrong though. And Miss Grant didn't sound like herself at all imo.

Edit: Yeah they're definitely not the originals. Victoria's VA also did Dana in the first game, and Dana in this game is a waaaay different voice, so no way it's Dani Knights as Victoria.

Maybe it was just internet gossip but I remember reading people talk about how you can still get actors and actresses from that strike, it just costs a pretty penny or something. I mean, Burch did Aloy just recently.

Maybe it was just internet gossip but I remember reading people talk about how you can still get actors and actresses from that strike, it just costs a pretty penny or something. I mean, Burch did Aloy just recently.

The strike started after Horizon was finished and she was probably already contracted for the DLC. Though Sony's not being struck anyway, so who knows what's going on there.

Anyway, I just finished it. It's more of a personal story than the original and I really didn't like the argument mechanic but I liked the game. Chloe was pretty unbearable at the start but she got much better the further into the episode I got and I think the new VA did a good job. It'll be interesting to see where the next two episodes go.

Fuck, I'm terrified that Max won't be Hannah Telle in the bonus episode seeing as how every other voice is changed.

Max needs to be Hannah. Oh god please.

That fucking ending

the fucking dreams with chloe's dad

the crow

what does it fucking mea n

3e27102546ab208c57f8f15d2d45fd46--charlie-always-sunny-its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-charlie.jpg

btw, i absolutely loved this first episode. I seriously have faith that they can pull off something special here

Enjoy, GAF.
My sentiments exactly. I think Chloe's VA really takes on a younger, less jaded version of the character and honestly, didn't even notice the difference in VA between other characters if they are there. Awesome first episode, this is the prequel I was interested in but didn't know I needed. A+

Kanashimi

No. Union actors are still obviously working, but if the game company does not agree with their terms that they're striking for (such as having a stunt coordinator on set for motion capture, shortening scream-o sessions to two hours to ensure you're not... coughing blood, being more transparent with what you're auditioning for so your agent can negotiate fair rates, and if your game sells over a certain threshold giving you actors extra money; up to 800 per actor if I recall) then union actors can't be hired. The game company or publishing company could have gotten the old actors, they decided not to.

You can find more info here: http://www.gameperformancematters.com/

Waiting on a summary to go up somewhere so I can see what happens, seeing mostly mixed reactions right now.

chadskin

edit: The bit after the credits (for next time) was just a guy slamming on the door with Chloe holding it saying "NO ONE STEALS FROM ME" "Where is my fucking Money" etc.

I'm guessing cause I stole the money (and used it to buy pot from Frank), anyone know what would be there if we didn't steal the money?

I didn't steal the money (and thus wasn't able to buy pot from Frank) but I got the same scene. Either it's someone else you'll steal money from in the next episode or they screwed up. :)

benzopil

Don't just run from one point to another to finish the main plot. Go around and interact with people. Some REALLY fun stuff there.

Spoiler:
that roleplaying game was hella amazing!!!

Don't just run from one point to another to finish the main plot. Go around and interact with people. Some REALLY fun stuff there.

Spoiler:

I wonder how many people didn't stop to play and missed that cool moment/section?
Same goes with listening to the security guys demo tape and all the other little bits you can miss.

I was really looking forward to being in Arcadia Bay again, went into this very much spoiler free, only trailer I had seen was the original reveal trailer. Episode 1 hasn't disappointed me at all, Deck Nine have done a really good job, It has a similar vibe to the original.

Now very much looking forward to Episode 2.

Reedirect

I wonder how many people didn't stop to play and missed that cool moment/section?
Same goes with listening to the security guys demo tape and all the other little bits you can miss.

I don't think you can miss the tabletop since you have to get the DVD from that one girl. You specifically have to turn it down. Missing the demo would be a crime, though, that's a great bit.

Demoskinos

Few cringe moments. ( like the scene at the very end with kicking over the trashcan) But I think the game mostly holds up and sets up potentially for a good story.

I'm not exactly sold on the relationship between them (yet) but I'm open to see what happens next.

Also, real talk fuck them trying to make Nathan sympathetic at the beginning. Also how the fuck does 88% of people side with him? I let that jock throw his pictures into the fountain. My choices below.

Also the game at the title screen kept saying "disconnected from network" uh... what? I was online the entire time?

Spoiler:
I played the whole thing and I defeated the monster at the end of it after completing the prior two areas but died from my wounds. Really fun section.

Top Bottom