• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life is Strange: Before the Storm | Spoiler Thread

Started off a bit slow and felt weird with no rewind powers, but that episode definitely kept going and built up to something great. The scene with the wrecked car was pretty sobering and what they started at the end of the episode was pretty big. Roll on episode 2.

B3N1

Just finished. Chloe is alright I guess (got used to the VA in a few minutes as well, she's pretty close to Burch), but feels weird playing as her. Max was a much more sensible character, and had a lot of neutral choices. With Chloe, it's rather a Renegade/not-so-Renegade thing going on, which just isn't my playstyle at all. Oh, and the edge.

The first hour was hell. Even though it kept the artstyle, I remember LiS being a lot more polished. Not sure, what was the reason behind switching to Unity.

Here, the camera deadzone-acceleration is strange, switching to the running animation skips a few frames, and textures look quite low-res as well, the whole thing had this Telltale feel to it, not to mention the introduction of timed conversations. It's what I loved the most in LiS. I always had the time to make my choices and think about the options.

At the junkyard it picked up, and I can't wait for the next ep, but boy was it a rough start.

The role-playing game was fun, not sure if it can be completed with no death and saving loot + prisoners as well. I was looking for the money, but didn't find it, and saw on the choices screen that you could sneak it into the mother's bag. Depending on when the next ep hits, I might do a replay of the episode just to try that.

Music's fucking on point again, Shazamed 'Voices' in the drama room, but it's not available anywhere yet. I already have been listening to Burn It Down previously, which with the school posters, kinda foreshadowed the ending scene, but was strangely missing there.

Oh, and the ending scene. So Rachel has wind powers, or what? That's a game changer, but could have been really just regular wind effects. I hope it won't be a Silicon Valley Meinertzhagen's Haversack thing.

LORANT92

Junkyard part was rough :/
The soundtrack is great - the PS4 theme also includes the main theme of the game as the system music, so I guess I'll enable that for the first time ever.
It sure is great that the game came with a bunch of outfits seeing that they cannot be equipped.

The role-playing game was fun, not sure if it can be completed with no death and saving loot + prisoners as well. I was looking for the money, but didn't find it, and saw on the choices screen that you could sneak it into the mother's bag. Depending on when the next ep hits, I might do a replay of the episode just to try that.

You can release the handbrake of the car the guy selling t-shirts is leaning against in the beginning. Money's in the trunk, plus you can nick a t-shirt.
Devs said that the episodes should be released 8-10 weeks apart iirc

Fantomas

I thought the first episode was great. I had initially thought like "I don't know if I wanna play as Chloe..." but then as soon as I started playing I was like, "fuck yeah I'm Chloe, fuck these bitches."

My choices, for the record: stole the t-shirt and money and bought weed from Frank, hit the skeevy dude with the bottle, was a bitch to Joyce and David, defended Nathan even though he was being a douche too, played D&D and died trying to kill the end boss (gotta try that again), didn't guess Rachel's lie on the train but she guessed mine (cat allergy), obviously I shared the earphones to listen to music with her (why wouldn't you? what are you, a monster?), and told Rachel she was more than a friend.

This is my first time having to wait for new episodes in an episodic game, I've always just waited for the whole season before, so this is going to be rough waiting for episodes 2 and 3, plus the bonus one. At least I can play through again and see how some of the different choices go. I know I saw that you can put the money in Joyce's purse if you don't buy weed from Frank, so I'll probably do that, plus try to win that D&D game without dying if it's possible.

B3N1

You can release the handbrake of the car the guy selling t-shirts is leaning against in the beginning. Money's in the trunk, plus you can nick a t-shirt.
Devs said that the episodes should be released 8-10 weeks apart iirc

Oh, right. I totally forgot about checking back on him.

Maybe?! (Not in episode 1)

Someone mentioned the dreams and the crows too. I hope they're going somewhere with those as well.

There's the illuminati thing and the woman from the park as well. Fuck, I'm getting hyped.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
First off, this game has Speedy Ortiz in the opening, so at that point you've already won me over. Having said that, I thought it was a nice little episode and I loved some of the conversations, especially the one in the train. As a whole the ep showed that LiS can work without the time-travelling and supernatural elements. It becomes even more of 'slice of life' type experience and I love that these games about just two people bonding can become a success. At least I assueme it'll do well because of the LiS success.

Chloe's new VA is fine, but I'd probably still prefer Ashley if I had to compare and choose right now.

Hella: Origins was a nice toch, can't wait to see the two get closer in coming eps. The D&D game was another great addition, I died but beat the boss. I loved how elaborate it was, I thought I'd be done in a few minutes. It reminded me a lot of the Freaks & Geeks ep Discos and Dragons, where Daniel ends up playing D&D and really enjoys it. Actually it'd be surprising if this wasn't an actual reference.

Oh and 'your choices mean shit' part 14: I did graffiti cleanup in collectible mode and approach Chloe differently when she broke down and got the exact same response. When you leave her be, you sit just close enough for her to be pissed at you anyway. She throws away the bat both times. The sequence plays out exactly the same.

There's also a 'hella large' option for subtitles, don't know if anyone caught that:

DIk5N3eXkAIOy4W.jpg

I should see what they look like later. Since we had multiple threads about games getting subtitles wrong (and too small), I thought this was a considerate addition. Paging Jett :p

Just in case anyone wants to know the tracklisting from episode 1, taken from mix tape mode.

5 songs/artists
"Are you ready for this" Pretty Vicious
"No Below" Speedy Ortiz
"Through the Cellar Door" Lanterns on the Lake
"Departure" Daughter
"Dreams of William" Daughter

Not on mixtape.
Intro track "Right way around" Daughter
End scene track "Flaws" Daughter
End credits track "Glass" Daughter

Fantomas

Oh, and the ending scene. So Rachel has wind powers, or what? That's a game changer, but could have been really just regular wind effects. I hope it won't be a Silicon Valley Meinertzhagen's Haversack thing.

Yeah I wasn't sure about that either. They did use similar artistic wind effects in the first game for the hurricane scenes though, so it might have just been that.

Damn, I really really loved it. It was sad and sweet and a lot of little moments hit me hard.

Wish I had sprung for the deluxe edition but not being from the same team wasn't sure it'd be good.

Steamlord

More Twin Peaks references are always a good thing.

Bummed by the lack of Kate though.

Also
I'm pretty sure Rachel is meant to have powers, considering the timing of the wind and her screams, but I doubt it will ever become totally clear, because if Chloe actually found out we would have known in Season 1.

Coming in with low expectation, I was super impressed with how well they managed this. Excited for the next episodes.

Also, regarding the ending of the episode,
I am pretty sure Rachel has powers. There was way too much focus on the wind when she screamed for there not to be. And I'm gonna guess the woman her father is having an affair with has some powers too, since she seemed very unperturbed by the giant forest fire.

The different voice actors didn't bother me; I was super happy with how Victoria's VA was, since she was one of my favorite characters from the original game. Chloe does pretty good for the most part, Frank too. David's is throwing me off just because of how different it is. And... I'm not quite sure how to feel about Rachel's VA yet. Sometimes I feel like she's not as good as the others, which is a bit unlucky considering she's one of the main characters.

Overall though, really good job. My fears are assuaged, and now I've got more Life is Strange!

Demoskinos

Nathan was a tortured soul with ignored mental problems who was then taken advantage of.

He was just as much a victim as anyone else.

I still can't feel sorry for him. He did terrible terrible fucking things. None of those things erases his culpability for his actions.

He drugged multiple women including (that we know of) Chloe, Rachel and Kate.

And was directly responsible for the murder of two of them and indirectly responsible for the suicide of Kate.

lumi7890

I went in with low expectations and came out with "I WANT THE NEXT EPISODE NOW!"
the writing was a definite step down, but it wasn't that bad. I also feel that deck nine is a little to obvious with the super natural in comparison of the original were it was mysterious and more organically written in..... I mean here it's kind of shoved in your face with the obvious foreshadowing of the forest fire....

Something is definitely up with the Ambers, Rachel's dad look at the forest fire like he was shocked of it happening but kind knew about it and his lady friend is definitely supernatural of some sort, throw in the song called witch on the soundtrack and something is definitely up. can't wait for the next episode.

Have a whole lot more to write about this in the morning, but I just came off a three hour playthrough (definitely on the long end) and was super impressed in a way I didn't expect to be. I really, really enjoyed it.

The way Rachel
knew things Chloe did that she wasn't there to see makes me wonder if the Crow delivers messages to Rachel? Like she sends it out and the Crow comes back to her and tells her shit.

So found out why there hasn't been an OT.

No one claimed it in the OT thread. Meaning one wasn't forthcoming.

So if no one has a problem, I can pull together a bare bones one for now?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Dumb question, can Rachel control wind or was that just weird camera work at the end. Honestly if it wasn't for the D&D game in this ep don't think I would have liked it at all. Didn't think I'd miss that sci-if twist so much, with out it it's just a story about teenagers making awful decisions.

Xiofire

Dumb question, can Rachel control wind or was that just weird camera work at the end. Honestly if it wasn't for the D&D game in this ep don't think I would have liked it at all. Didn't think I'd miss that sci-if twist so much, with out it it's just a story about teenagers making awful decisions.

The prevailing theory is that Rachel has some form of abilities, be it time travel or something more. The main draw for this is no matter how you swing the 2 Truths 1 Lie game, she ALWAYS get's it right, no matter if you cheat, play right or what choices you make for each truth and lie, she gets it every time. She seems to know everything about Chloe, after only knowing her for such a short space of time.

(I've edited below to save myself further embarrassment, and just typed up the more focused, less stupid theory)

My theory is that Rachel has multiple powers, including time travel (due to her never getting the game wrong) and maybe some form of telekinesis (the wind at the end of the ep). Given this, I'd say that Rachel IS the storm from LiS. Let me explain.

We found out in this episode that Rachel's Dad is a DA who moved from Cali, and that the Prescott's are still very much in the picture at Arcadia Bay. As we know from the first game, the Prescott's are very shady fellows who are deep in many things around Arcadia Bay. Is Rachel's Dad in town to bring the Prescott's to justice for whatever evil doings they are up to this time? I'd say that's not far fetched, and I wouldn't say it was out of the question that the Prescott's might try and take Rachel's Dad out for getting too close/threatening whatever they are up to.

As we know from LiS, Rachel was getting very cosy with Mr. Jefferson, who had very tight links with the Prescott's, taking backhanders and pay offs while tutoring their son, Nathan. Does Rachel use her powers to get close to Jefferson, in an attempt to take down the Prescott's to avenge her father? Ultimately, we know she fails, with a storm then hitting Arcadia Bay and Max's time travel abilities being awoken.

With the heavy emphasis on the wind around the tree at the end of this episode, I'd say it's not much of a stretch to say that when Jefferson kills Rachel, the storm is her or her spirit. In the first game, the only way to end the storm was to let Chloe die, which makes sense if we accept that the storm is Rachel. She just wants to be reunited with the girl she loves, which we will obviously see blossom over the next two episodes.

There's also a lot of theorising around the fact that Does/Deer were the symbolic animal that shadowed and followed Max throughout LiS, representing "sensitivity, intuition and gentleness". Comparatively, Rachel seems to be followed by Ravens/Crows, which are symbols of protection, but also the carrier between life and death. People are even stretching to say there have been multiple crows, which are called a "murder" of crows, foreshadowing the events coming to Arcadia Bay.

As may be evident, I absolutely loved this first Episode. After the initial irks from not having the time travel ability to see the consequences of my actions with each major choice, I really started to dig the aesthetic again, and loved just being back in sleepy, creepy Arcadia Bay. Can't wait for episode 2!

LORANT92

My outlandish theory is that Rachel has multiple powers, including time travel, some form of telekinesis and powers we've not had explained yet like shape shifting.

If I really had to grasp, I think that Max in Life is Strange isn't the real Max that left Chloe in Arcadia Bay and went to Seattle. I think the Max in Life is Strange is Rachel shape shifting into a Max form, so she can be with and love Chloe like she wants to as Rachel. This explains why "Max" has powers, (because she is just Rachel) and why everyone thinks that "Max" looks like Rachel when she's wearing her clothes. Why Rachel has to fake her own death and take on Max's form I'm not sure we've had enough to piece together yet, but with the obvious name dropping of the Prescott's throughout BtS, I'd hedge my bets and say they have something to do with it after their subplot was cut from LiS.

There's also a lot of theorising around the fact that Does/Deer were the symbolic animal that shadowed and followed Max throughout LiS, representing "sensitivity, intuition and gentleness". Comparatively, Rachel seems to be followed by Ravens/Crows, which are symbols of protection, but also the carrier between life and death. People are even stretching to say there have been multiple crows, which are called a "murder" of crows, foreshadowing the events coming to Arcadia Bay.

doc_rivers_blinking.gif

outlandish

Reedirect

My outlandish theory is that Rachel has multiple powers, including time travel, some form of telekinesis and powers we've not had explained yet like shape shifting.

If I really had to grasp, I think that Max in Life is Strange isn't the real Max that left Chloe in Arcadia Bay and went to Seattle. I think the Max in Life is Strange is Rachel shape shifting into a Max form, so she can be with and love Chloe like she wants to as Rachel. This explains why "Max" has powers, (because she is just Rachel) and why everyone thinks that "Max" looks like Rachel when she's wearing her clothes. Why Rachel has to fake her own death and take on Max's form I'm not sure we've had enough to piece together yet, but with the obvious name dropping of the Prescott's throughout BtS, I'd hedge my bets and say they have something to do with it after their subplot was cut from LiS.

sUJtQZf.gif

Xiofire

doc_rivers_blinking.gif

I guess to go even further, we learn that Rachel's Dad in this Episode is a DA in town, seemingly moving from Cali to Arcadia Bay to work on a case.

Considering they were brought up this episode, I'd say it has something to do with the Prescott's.

Maybe the Prescott's kill Rachel's Dad for trying to bring them to justice, so takes matters into her own hands? We already know she got close to Jefferson from scraps and comments in the first game, so that at least is plausible.

I'm gonna stop drinking the theories kool aid and stop now :p

How does that work if Max's parents knew she went back to Arcadia Bay? The only way this works is if the real Max is dead or ran away or something.

On a side note if Rachel does have powers, Chloe must be like a superpower magnet. What are the chances two of you best friend have powers?

Pilgrimzero

Wife was watching Blade Runner while I played and of course the game had 2 references to the film. One surprisingly was Chloe mentioning how she rubbed one out to Pris.

RocknRola

I liked this 1st episode. It started a bit slow/iffy (much like the very first LiS episode) but by the end of it I was already craving for more! I also quite liked some "optional" stuff like the board game at the school with the two "nerds" hehe

As for the VA stuff, it sounded weird at first but after a few minutes I didn't even notice it anymore.

Loved the creepy/evil smile the blonde lady lover gave at the end while looking at the fire Rachel started! Some cool villain vibes going on, there!

PS:
Nathan is still (or rather, already was?) a douche. :/

Xiofire

How does that work if Max's parents knew she went back to Arcadia Bay? The only way this works is if the real Max is dead or ran away or something.

This...is very true. Welp, that crumbles my theory. At least it gave a few a laugh in here :)

I think I'm just desperately trying to make it so BtS has a pretty big effect on LiS when it's probably just going to be something mundane like Rachel's powers just transfer to Max when she dies at the hands of Jefferson.

So, going with the simpler theory, Rachel's Dad the DA gets too close to whatever the Prescott's are doing, gets killed. Rachel uses her powers to get close to Jefferson, who has tight links with the Prescott's but ultimately dies at his hands as he is a murderous psychopath, and her powers transfer to Max.

With them making such a big deal of Rachel controlling the wind with her breakdown at the end of Ep 1, would it be much of a stretch to say that killing Rachel brings the storm?

On a side note if Rachel does have powers, Chloe must be like a superpower magnet. What are the chances two of you best friend have powers?

I think this is something to do with Arcadia Bay more then anything. Maybe like Lost where the location just allows for supernatural things to happen?

Did anyone notice any references to the outfit you choose to wear? I played through with the Illuminati tank top from the deluxe edition and I don't think anyone mentioned it once, I wasn't sure if picking one of the default clothing choices, the Firewalk shirt, or "classic Chloe" had any Easter eggs.

Pilgrimzero

Did anyone notice any references to the outfit you choose to wear? I played through with the Illuminati tank top from the deluxe edition and I don't think anyone mentioned it once, I wasn't sure if picking one of the default clothing choices, the Firewalk shirt, or "classic Chloe" had any Easter eggs.

I bought the deluxe ed and only had one shirt option....

This...is very true. Welp, that crumbles my theory. At least it gave a few a laugh in here :)

I think I'm just desperately trying to make it so BtS has a pretty big effect on LiS when it's probably just going to be something mundane like Rachel's powers just transfer to Max when she dies at the hands of Jefferson.

So, going with the simpler theory, Rachel's Dad the DA gets too close to whatever the Prescott's are doing, gets killed. Rachel uses her powers to get close to Jefferson, who has tight links with the Prescott's but ultimately dies at his hands as he is a murderous psychopath, and her powers transfer to Max.

With them making such a big deal of Rachel controlling the wind with her breakdown at the end of Ep 1, would it be much of a stretch to say that killing Rachel brings the storm?

Hmm so killing Rachel caused he storm? Interesting. But then why does Chloe dying stop the storm? That'd be pretty shitty. You die, then to stop a storm you best friend would have to die.

The imaginary letter Chloe gets from Max in the first dream sequence legitimately depressed me.

Damn, like that physically hurt.

Scanna

I don't think you can miss the tabletop since you have to get the DVD from that one girl. You specifically have to turn it down. Missing the demo would be a crime, though, that's a great bit.

I didn't play :(
Will replay that part then!

Scanna

For what it's worth, Wikipedia confirms Rachel's powers: "Rachel destroys a family photo in a burning trash bin, and in a fit of rage kicks it over. A nearby tree is set alight as Rachel is revealed to have supernatural powers"

Vidal

That was intense.

As it was already said, it started slow, but as soon as you get to the school...

e31.jpg

I'm glad that they introduced some sort of gimmick to replace the rewind thing, but focused on Chloe's story.

Can't wait for episode 2.

Xiofire

Hmm so killing Rachel caused he storm? Interesting. But then why does Chloe dying stop the storm? That'd be pretty shitty. You die, then to stop a storm you best friend would have to die.

If we buy into Rachel being able to control the wind based on her actions in the final moments of Ep 1, maybe Rachel IS the storm, and she won't stop raging until Chloe is with her in the afterlife?

Demoskinos

The prevailing theory is that Rachel has some form of abilities, be it time travel or something more. The main draw for this is no matter how you swing the 2 Truths 1 Lie game, she ALWAYS get's it right, no matter if you cheat, play right or what choices you make for each truth and lie, she gets it every time. She seems to know everything about Chloe, after only knowing her for such a short space of time.

As may be evident, I absolutely loved this first Episode. After the initial irks from not having the time travel ability to see the consequences of my actions with each major choice, I really started to dig the aesthetic again, and loved just being back in sleepy, creepy Arcadia Bay. Can't wait for episode 2!

white-guy-blinking-gif-6.gif

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't hooked initially but it really picked up towards the end. Loved it and can't wait for the next. Gives me new appreciation for Chloe as well.

carlsojo

If you wear the Firewalk shirt multiple people ask about/comment on it.

If we buy into Rachel being able to control the wind based on her actions in the final moments of Ep 1, maybe Rachel IS the storm, and she won't stop raging until Chloe is with her in the afterlife?

Maybe Rachel holds Chloe responsible for her death.

N7.Angel

Bro, I thought about the same thing, I'm not sure it's it but I think it's pretty close.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Man, Xiofire, you really let yourself go, huh.

Top Bottom