• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life is Strange: Before the Storm | Spoiler Thread

As for the ending, that's what I got from it as well. Something wasn't right with how she caused the wind to pick up like that, and there's surely something going on with that lady who was smoking.

I would be surprised if this did not continue the suburban supernatural trope.

Having played the original Life is Strange pretty recently, I always thought Rachel was the one fucking with Max during the weird dreamlike events of the final episode. It made sense as many of the comments made seemed mean and resentful of Max's relationship with Chloe. Watching this with the idea that Rachel is manipulating the reality around Max makes a lot of sense to me. It makes sense that maybe Rachel had the supernatural powers and that she was the cause of the storm, taking out her anger over her death on everyone, which seems to be somewhat reinforced by the prequel so far. Rachel always getting your two truths and a lie game combined with the wind at the end seems to be pointing that way. Only question is the how and why of the powers then getting transferred to Max.

Clauss

Only question is the how and why of the powers then getting transferred to Max.
Damn, what a trip. I really hope it develops into a proper sci-fi story rather than stagnating on the angsty teen love/friendship story.

Overall I think it was a good start to the trilogy. It was fun seeing old characters and stomping around AB as Chloe. Looking forward to the rest!

I'll be sticking to this thread pretty closely too. The plot discussion and collective theorizing was one of my favorite aspects of the original arc!

Fantomas

Just replayed the third episode of the first game, and noticed that you learn one of Rachel's truths and one of her lies.

When you're in the principal's office and you look at her permanent record, it has her place of birth listed as Long Beach, CA, so you know she wasn't born in New York. You could also infer that she is a Leo by looking at her birth date which is listed, however, she explicitly states that she is a Leo in one of her letters to Frank that you find in the RV later on.

Just thought that was a cool touch that you could theoretically, as the player, have known enough about her to win the two truths and a lie game in Before the Storm by remembering those details from the first game.

carlsojo

I tell you what though when I originally played through episode 5 of LiS, I picked
sacrifice Chloe
without hesitation.

After playing through episode 1 of Before the Storm I finished up another playthrough of LiS and I changed my decision and
saved Chloe.

It was just so much harder of a decision after seeing things from Chloe's perspective.

I tell you what though when I originally played through episode 5 of LiS, I picked
sacrifice Chloe
without hesitation.

After playing through episode 1 of Before the Storm I finished up another playthrough of LiS and I changed my decision and
saved Chloe.

It was just so much harder of a decision after seeing things from Chloe's perspective.

Exactly, Before the Storm has done a great job of humanizing Chloe so far.

theBmZ

So I finished the episode yesterday morning. I like where things are going so far. I do have some problems with it. Nothing major though.

The new actress for Chloe does a good job channeling a younger Chloe Price. She's no Ashly Burch, but she does a great job I think. It was jarring at first. But after the first 20 minutes or so, I didn't notice it anymore. I also liked the voice for Rachel Amber. I know some people are having problems with it. I didn't. The supporting cast of returning characters is where things start to fall apart. Not that the performances are bad. They are fine. It's just that they don't sound like the characters, and in some cases, the actor or actress doesn't even attempt to sound like the original character. Victoria and Frank sound great. But Principle Wells doesn't quite sound right. Joyce is hit or miss. Justin doesn't sound right. The guy playing David Madsen isn't even attempting to sound like the character from the original. It is very jarring. Like I said, the performances themselves are fine. Some of the characters just don't sound like they are supposed to.

The graphics are good enough. I feel like something is slightly off. Maybe missing in the atmosphere. It has a bit more of a pristine clean look than the original did. But the lip sync is great this time. Animation can be a bit janky at times. When Chloe goes from standing still into a walking animation, it's a little stuttery and seems like some frames of animation are missing. I encountered a few minor bugs. My character briefly being lifted into the air for no reason, the last word in some dialogue being cut off for some reason. Nothing gamebreaking though.

The gameplay is the same as before only time reversal replaced with a verbal tug of war minigame. I'm not entirely sold on this concept. I'm not sure it can sustain an entire game in its current state. It's a bit too simple. Word matching essentially. I feel like the timer is a bit too fast for me to take in all the options. But I guess that's the point. Its supposed to showcase Chloe's quick wit and ability to talk her way out of situations. Not a bad idea. I'm just not sure about the execution here. The tabletop game section was amazing. More different ideas and scenarios like this please. My Callamastia died :(

The second most important part to me. The music once again is fucking great. The score is fantastic so far, and the licensed tracks fit the scenes perfectly. Great job here.

Now the most important part. The story. I'm really liking where this is going so far. The Firewalk opening was a fun way to reintroduce the world and characters of Arcadia Bay. The game is already hitting me in the feels. Chloe's journal is absolutely heartbreaking to read. The first couple pages to Max had me in tears. The strained relationship between Chloe, Joyce, and David is pulled off pretty well. Going back to Blackwell was very fun as well. I'm digging the new characters so far. The Tabletop game was excellent. The way Rachel and Chloe are brought together is a little contrived, but when put into context later in the episode, It didn't really bother me. The train ride section is superb. It's not a big set piece. Just playing a dumb game to get to know each other. Sharing your music with Rachel was awesome to see. I just sat there and listened and watched the two of them as the song played to take it all in. This series really knows how to take its time and create moments with characters. Chloe and Rachel's afternoon adventure was fun to take part in. We learned a lot about Rachel Amber and have a mystery brewing with her father cheating, Rachel seemingly having some sort of power manifest in a time of crisis, just as Max's did, and a strange smoking woman looking at the giant blaze.

I'm really liking the writing so far. Already Deck Nine have created some moments that can hang with any from the original game. With a few tweaks here and there and some adjustments to some of the characters voices, I feel this has potential to be something really special. This was an important time in Chloe's life. I wasn't sure if I wanted this game, but now that it's here, I'm really excited to see where they take it. I am a little concerned that 3 episodes wont be enough to fully flesh out this story, but the original game accomplished a lot in 3 episodes. So, it's not impossible.

Theory time. Rachel seems to gain some kind of power at the end of the episode. Not quite sure what it is. I think smoking woman is clued in to all this supernatural business going on. Don't know why. Just a feeling. Maybe Rachel's death is the catalyst for the storm and not Chloe. Somehow Rachel's powers get transferred to Max. I'm not sure about the timeline. Maybe Rachel dies, triggers the storm, transfers her powers to Max giving her a vision of the storm. Max's power manifests when Chloe is shot. I'm sure I'm wrong but it's fun to speculate. I'll post more thoughts upon an eventual replay.

Fantomas

The game is already hitting me in the feels. Chloe's journal is absolutely heartbreaking to read. The first couple pages to Max had me in tears.

First of all, I read your whole post and it was fantastic, but I just wanted to respond to this part because I totally agree. I'm guessing you read the text messages from Max as well? Those are what really hit me hard. I've totally had those kinds of text message histories with old friends, it's fucking sad. Just seeing how badly Chloe tried to stay in contact with Max. If I remember right, the last text in the log was from Chloe at like 2am, a few months after Max had last texted her back, and all it said was "max". Fuck.

theBmZ

First of all, I read your whole post and it was fantastic, but I just wanted to respond to this part because I totally agree. I'm guessing you read the text messages from Max as well? Those are what really hit me hard. I've totally had those kinds of text message histories with old friends, it's fucking sad. Just seeing how badly Chloe tried to stay in contact with Max. If I remember right, the last text in the log was from Chloe at like 2am, a few months after Max had last texted her back, and all it said was "max". Fuck.

Glad you enjoyed the post. I did read the texts as well. I forgot to mention them. I too have had text histories like this where friendships seemingly dissolve for no explainable reason. You try your hardest to keep in touch but you just stop talking or are ignored for some reason. It sucks and it's all too relatable.

Necron

Theory time. Rachel seems to gain some kind of power at the end of the episode. Not quite sure what it is. I think smoking woman is clued in to all this supernatural business going on. Don't know why. Just a feeling. Maybe Rachel's death is the catalyst for the storm and not Chloe. Somehow Rachel's powers get transferred to Max. I'm not sure about the timeline. Maybe Rachel dies, triggers the storm, transfers her powers to Max giving her a vision of the storm. Max's power manifests when Chloe is shot. I'm sure I'm wrong but it's fun to speculate. I'll post more thoughts upon an eventual replay.

Fantastic write-up.

304-coop-thumbs-up-sonny-jim.gif

I'm inclined to think the same way regarding the theory. Also... the crows are not what they seem.

Deck Nine, we need a Dougie Jones reference via some poster in the next episode.

Reedirect

Rachel always getting your two truths and a lie game combined with the wind at the end seems to be pointing that way. Only question is the how and why of the powers then getting transferred to Max.

This is an interesting theory, but I don't see the whole "she gets two truths and a lie right every time!" thing as an indication of her powers. This feels like a development decision where they had a certain amount of dialogue lines for the scene, and decided to cut down on possible outcomes to save time.

Decider

Interesting to think that BtS now positions Chloe as the central figure in the series. The Max DLC is actually less interesting to me now that we've spent some time in Chloe's shoes and getting to know Rachel properly.

sacrifice Chloe
without hesitation.

saved Chloe.

I never found it a hard decision, personally. I did wonder if the
bay > bae
crowd would re-evaluate their choices after spending more time with Chloe.

I do find it odd that some people need to see her pain spelled out for them by BtS before they can understand why she was so angry and abrasive in LiS though. I've never grasped the hate or lack of empathy that she's received from some people who have played the game. Just running though what we know about her from LiS:

• Her father has died recently, at a young age
  • Her best friend moved away shortly afterward and cut contact
  • Her new girlfriend, who had promised to take her away from Arcadia Bay, is missing
    then found dead
  • Her mother has started dating again
  • Her prospective stepfather is emotionally distant, overbearing and possibly suffering PTSD

She's very young, in pain and lives in a small town where the feelings caused by what she's experienced above isolate her from everybody else. The only people she's opened up to and could rely on have either left her or gone missing. (I can't blame Max for leaving Arcadia Bay but dropping contact was a move that makes her look so much worse in BtS.) Anger, confusion, frustration and the escape of drugs seemed like natural responses to the chain reaction of tragic events that have followed Chloe's otherwise happy childhood. She's watched her life turn to shit and she wants to change that however she can, at the earliest opportunity.

I've never found her an unsympathetic character, quite the opposite. Criticisms of how the ending was handled aside,
her death
never felt like an option if you felt empathy for her, even if she's
ultimately accepting of her fate. Leaving her to die just seems like a final betrayal and a tragic end to a life that has fallen apart.

I also find it harder to be a dick to David in BtS given that we know his problems and how much he really cares about her.

Larkoz

uVjqqUR.jpg

I think the raven lady in the middle is Sycorax, the mother of Caliban (played by Nathan). The wikipedia page:
Some scholars argue that her name may be a combination of the Greek sus ("pig") and korax ("crow"). Another rough translation produces the phrase "the Scythian raven"

She's a powerful and vicious witch. She imprisoned Ariel, a wind spirit, in a tree for disobedience. Prospero (Prospera in the game, played by Rachel), a sorcerer, frees Ariel and then controls him to alter weather.

dsier

As someone who loved Life is Strange I have to say BTS has gotten off to a great start! While I wasn't the biggest Chloe fan during the first game, I have absolutely fallen in love with her after finishing Episode 1. The relationship between her and Rachel has the potential to be something truly special and I also liked the fact, that the recurring characters got fleshed out more, as well as all the small nods to the original (e.g. Chloe's comment about being in debt).
The "twist" that explained Rachel's sudden mood shift was powerful and heartbreaking, but I have to say that I saw it coming as soon as the two people in the park started making out. Partly due to the fact that the exact same thing has happened to me irl, but also because of Rachel's comments earlier about her dad being a lawyer and how she has had to deal with lies because of that.

All in all I can say that I absolutely loved Episode 1. While Rachel's Reveal came as no surprise it still absolutely worked for me. And the interactions between Chloe and Rachel were beautiful, including the wonderful ending. Can't wait for Episode 2!

Joeku

Apprehensive going in with the VA and studio changes.

Me now:
tumblr_mreczsWyFw1r8nxtno1_400.gif

I actually dug the mechanical changes (of what little there are in the first place) to suit Chloe over Max. Things like Left Trigger being "I wrote my objective on my hand" and the backtalk system slide in really well with the rest of the LiS formula. Soundtrack is key for that feeling too, and it was on point.

The imaginary letter Chloe gets from Max in the first dream sequence legitimately depressed me.

Fucking ouch.

bay > bae

I do find it odd that some people need to see her pain spelled out for them by BtS before they can understand why she was so angry and abrasive in LiS though. I've never grasped the hate or lack of empathy that she's received from some people who have played the game. Just running though what we know about her from LiS:

• Her new girlfriend, who had promised to take her away from Arcadia Bay, is missing
    then found dead
  • Her prospective stepfather is emotionally distant, overbearing and possibly suffering PTSD

She's very young, in pain and lives in a small town where the feelings caused by what she's experienced above isolate her from everybody else. The only people she's opened up to and could rely on have either left her or gone missing. (I can't blame Max for leaving Arcadia Bay but dropping contact was a move that makes her look so much worse in BtS.) Anger, confusion, frustration and the escape of drugs seemed like natural responses to the chain reaction of tragic events that have followed Chloe's otherwise happy childhood. She's watched her life turn to shit and she wants to change that however she can, at the earliest opportunity.

I've never found her an unsympathetic character, quite the opposite. Criticisms of how the ending was handled aside,
her death
ultimately accepting of her fate. Leaving her to die just seems like a final betrayal and a tragic end to a life that has fallen apart.

As one of those people who never liked Chloe (and still don't), I will postulate that the main problem with her is just how much of a selfish prick she is, is not that we don't understand she is in pain or that she has problem, but she is not the only person in the world who's suffered, her own mother for example also suffered when her husband died and her daughter became a rebel.

I always went with saving the Town because 1) from an objective perspective that is the right thing to do and 2) For once in her life Chloe was actually trying to do good by someone else, can't take that away from her.

Joeku

I always went with saving the Town because 1) from an objective perspective that is the right thing to do and 2) For once in her life Chloe was actually trying to do good by someone else, can't take that away from her.

This. Even if you prefer bae over bay, bae wanted to save the bay. Come on, people.

I was just browsing Youtube looking for the extra journal entries hidden in the dream sequence, and this art caught me off guard.

This is much darker imagery that most things I saw in the original five episodes

Clauss

uVjqqUR.jpg

I think the raven lady in the middle is Sycorax, the mother of Caliban (played by Nathan). The wikipedia page:

She's a powerful and vicious witch. She imprisoned Ariel, a wind spirit, in a tree for disobedience. Prospero (Prospera in the game, played by Rachel), a sorcerer, frees Ariel and then controls him to alter weather.
This would align perfectly with the theory that Rachel has some sort of power (specifically how her screams seemed to alter the wind). I also was trying to surmise why this poster was different from all the rest, but I suppose not having a background in Shakespeare failed me for this one ;)

Rosa Lilium

Neo Member
Thinking about it, having Chloe be exposed to "hella" from Rachel is exceptionally clever because in Life is Strange S1, it helps explain why in the
William lives alternate universe, Chloe doesn't use the word as she barely knows Rachel.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting to think that BtS now positions Chloe as the central figure in the series. The Max DLC is actually less interesting to me now that we've spent some time in Chloe's shoes and getting to know Rachel properly.

bay > bae

then found dead

her death

I also find it harder to be a dick to David in BtS given that we know his problems and how much he really cares about her.
I both agree and disagree. I felt empathic towards Chloe in the first game, but I still chose to
save Arcadia Bay
because that's what she wanted. Or at least, what she told Max she wanted. I don't think she would have wanted her mother to suffer because of her. It was an extremely hard choice and left me feeling like shit, but I still believe it was the right one.

Also, in BtS I find it easy to treat David badly because that's how Chloe felt at the time. I'm trying to get into her mindset and do what she would, which is also why I chose to steal the money at the beginning of the episode, while in LiS I didn't let her steal it from the school (Max wouldn't have allowed that). I also found it funny that Chloe was the only one who signed the petition with her real name, but I figured it was about time she did something nice for a change.

That said, I kinda regret defending Nathan now. At the moment I totally forgot what he would do to Chloe 3 years later, and reacted by instinct. Fuck him, should have let the bigger jock kick his ass.

I was just browsing Youtube looking for the extra journal entries hidden in the dream sequence, and this art caught me off guard.

This is much darker imagery that most things I saw in the original five episodes
That was incredibly dark, indeed. The first time did have several disturbing moments too, especially in the last 2 episodes:

carlsojo

David's still an asshole.

He's trying to be understanding but then ruins it 5 seconds later.

Most reluctant fistbump ever.

Also most hilarious.

bay > bae

then found dead

her death
Fran

Agree that the Max DLC is less interesting now. Kind of wish it was an episode where you play as Rachel actually.

As far as how Chloe was portrayed in "Season 1"... she's written as the most obnoxious, selfish person imaginable for a lot of the game. She wants Max to abuse her powers, she stole a gun, gets Max in trouble, gets angry when Max wants to take a phone call from Kate, etc. Her behavior "makes sense" at the time knowing what happened to her dad and that you left for Seattle, but when you're playing as Super Max and trying to save everyone, Chloe's unstable and reckless behavior can be very grating. "You" and Max are both trying to control every outcome with your time powers and Chloe seems intent on just fighting everyone and everything.

Playing through just episode 1 of Before the Storm and seeing just how much of a shitty friend Max was after moving to Seattle... some of Chloe's behavior in "Season 1" just becomes more understandable. Like no wonder Chloe gets so mad when Kate calls you and you just answer your phone like it's nothing. In Chloe's mind she's probably wondering why the fuck you couldn't pick up your phone for the past few years and talk to your "best friend".

I imagine episode 2 and 3 will probably explain why Chloe thought she needed to buy a gun, why she had to borrow so much money from Frank, etc.

Larkoz

Aurora Creek was the original name of Arcadia Bay during the development of LiS.

No idea what are the symbols though. Some sort of trafficker code language?

So, do we know what any of these symbols on the train mean? Are they all just cryptic references to things?

Hobo code / glyphs. Some translations are on Google. I believe stuff like this can vary by region, so it might be impossible to know what all mean.

A few random ones are here...

KxAjd1rl.png

So, do we know what any of these symbols on the train mean? Are they all just cryptic references to things?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfNG_mGc9Qc&ab_channel=GeekRemix

GeekRemix has broken it down. If you haven't checked out their theory videos I recommend them. They're like GameXplain where they over-analyze and review all source material but some of their theories could hold up I think. I found them when the original first came out and really liked the content they had pertaining to the first game, and the theories they came up with.

SoulUnison

Banned
Yea but Rachel's been missing for six months by the time the game starts. Wouldn't that kinda thing happen immediately if she transferred powers

If Rachel is who ends up "gifting" the powers to Max, it could be that the reason she gives them to Max is so that Max can "watch over" Chloe in Rachel's stead.
In that light, you could look at it as there being a 6 month period before Max reappears where there's absolutely nobody in Chloe's life close enough to her to deserve/want/appreciate the responsibility.

Alternatively, if Rachel's powers are explicitly "weather control," it could be that she calls the storm to Arcadia Bay as some sort of threat but her bluff is called and
she's killed before she can "call it off."

Episode 5 has
Broken Reality Jefferson state that he dug Rachel's corpse up to have oral sex with it one last time.
I'm of the opinion that the character's present were their "real" selves, just projected into a shattered timeline, so this line made me back away from my desk and walk away from the game for a little bit.

nikos

As much as I loved the soundtrack of the original, it was a pleasant surprise to see almost this entire soundtrack done by Daughter. Very fitting for the series.

Reedirect

Episode 5 has
Broken Reality Jefferson state that he dug Rachel's corpse up to have oral sex with it one last time.
I'm of the opinion that the character's present were their "real" selves, just projected into a shattered timeline, so this line made me back away from my desk and walk away from the game for a little bit.

Having replayed LiS before the first episode of BtS dropped, I only reminded myself of how bad that whole sequence is. I was a bit of an apologist when I first played it, but it's just bafflingly terrible now. Throws the brilliant sublety of the story and character development out the window for a cheap mindfuck. It has some dark stuff, but it's almost schlocky in a weird way.

Jacknapes

I wasn't going to get this until the season was finished, but i did on Friday and finished the first episode Sunday night. It's brilliant so far, spent the best part of 20 or so minutes playing the Role playing game when getting the DVD back.

I think once i'm done with "Before the Storm", i might go back and replay Life is Strange again with a better understanding of the past.

uVjqqUR.jpg

This is really good.

Ravelle

Finished it and loved it.

I went with friendly Chloe and tried to cause as little of a mess as possible, except for stealing that Firewalk shirt and sit on that stage which I thought was harmless but I guess not. :(

Clauss

As much as I loved the soundtrack of the original, it was a pleasant surprise to see almost this entire soundtrack done by Daughter. Very fitting for the series.

YES I was so happy about this too. The mood was perfect throughout. Superb work by the music team all around.

I played through the episode. Chloe is a lot more likable in this. She came off as a one note druggie tryhard in the original but she has some actual layers here. You can play her as regular asshole Chloe, or you can play her as if she has some sort of moral compass. Giving David a chance, signing the petition honestly, protecting Nathan, etc. That DnD game especially made me really like her a lot more.

I would still save Arcadia Bay though. It's the right thing, it's selfless of her and it's thematically appropriate.

I played through the episode. Chloe is a lot more likable in this. She came off as a one note druggie tryhard in the original but she has some actual layers here. You can play her as regular asshole Chloe, or you can play her as if she has some sort of moral compass. Giving David a chance, signing the petition honestly, protecting Nathan, etc. That DnD game especially made me really like her a lot more.

I would still save Arcadia Bay though. It's the right thing, it's selfless of her and it's thematically appropriate.

I think this game gives her an element of humanity that LiS lacks. In the first, you know her dad died and that she's angry at Max and a whole bunch of other people, but I think it's easy to misunderstand where she's coming from because you haven't experienced her trauma firsthand.

Like, when she freaks out in Frank's trailer because Rachel was dating him and she didn't know, I was like "wtf why are you mad? Does it matter?" But here you kinda realize "ohhhhh okay I get why she was mad now". And then when she got mad at Max for answering Kate's phone call, I thought she was a bitch but really I think she was upset cause Max didn't do that for her. All that is kind of explained here, cause William's death is still fresh and she's alone without Max. It makes her more relatable and I dig that.

LORANT92

Finished it and loved it.

I went with friendly Chloe and tried to cause as little of a mess as possible, except for stealing that Firewalk shirt and sit on that stage which I thought was harmless but I guess not. :(

What happens if you do that? I missed it (on both playthroughs) :(

I edited my theory to the not Kojima levels of insanity that it was before but it's already been quoted too many times :c

Oh well, least it'll give a few a chuckle reading through this thread.

did you rike it?

Ravelle

What happens if you do that? I missed it (on both playthroughs) :(

The moment you step off, the principal shows up and gives you a hard time about you having no regard for your fellow students because you ignored the sign and went on the stage, even though you just sat for a while without causing trouble. He then makes you go to detention which you can back talk, which I failed. But since you ditch school with Rachel detention doesn't happen, which will come back to bite me in the ass in the upcoming episode I think.

Top Bottom