• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life is Strange: Before the Storm | Spoiler Thread

chadskin

For the backtalk with Wells, you need to talk to the teacher on the left first. She'll tell you about the Prescott's donation to the school which you can then use against Wells to wiggle your way out of detention.

Anteater

damn, quite a few pretty scenes in the game

here are my results

lifeisstrange-beforetdpudn.jpg

lifeisstrange-beforet3aj1o.jpg

nah i just wanna be friends with rachel for now, i barely knew her

so many people defended nathan

40% of the people didn't listen to Skip's demo, lol

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
And also the security guard.
Yes, I used the "high risk" line Skip told me to accuse Wells of profiling certain students.

I wanted to be more than friends with her earring.

Wow 98% shared the music with Rachel. Interesting that it was such an overwhelming majority.
There was no reason not to share. I doubt anybody would do that in real life. I mean, you're hanging out with someone and suddenly decide to put both your earphones in? That's hella rude!

I still regret defending Nathan. 3 years later, those photos would have been of
Rachel, Chloe and Kate
:(

here are my results

I mean you just KNOW their relationship is gonna be hella gay anyway so you're just postponing the inevitable ;)

Anteater

I wanted to be more than friends with her earring.

Wow 98% shared the music with Rachel. Interesting that it was such an overwhelming majority.

man why wouldn't you, there wasn't anything much to do on that train lol

I mean you just KNOW their relationship is gonna be hella gay anyway so you're just postponing the inevitable ;)

yeah probably, but i think chloe just wanted a good friend that she could talk to

Ravelle

here are my results

What is this about Skip's demo? He came up to me and asked me if everything was alright and Chloe said "Yeah we cool"

Didn't see him walk around campus or anything.

Anteater

What is this about Skip's demo? He came up to me and asked me if everything was alright and Chloe said "Yeah we cool"

Didn't see him walk around campus or anything.

before chloe goes to class you can talk to him and he lets you listen to his demo of his band, it's the same area where you do the role playing game stuff (infront of the school)

here are my results

I think with Skip's demo a lot of people probably didn't know it was an option to listen to it.

Munti

Finished the episode, enjoyed it :).

I knew that something with a (forest) fire will happen, there were so many hints (the name of the band, Chloe's diary entry and pic, the initiative, school's info poster, info poster about the tree, dream sequence, and probably more), Although I thought it would happen in the last episode.

And this episode strengthens my believe in my head-canon/theory about all the supernatural stuff :).
My head.canon is that all the supernatural stuff and spirit animals are linked with the Native American Tribes/Totems. My idea is that they want to protect their land (maybe from the Prescotts family owning the whole land?) and so give power to some people. In the gallery in LiS1, there is a magazine talking about mysteries, and on the cover is a totem. When Max got her power, she was close to a totem. Now Rachel was also close to a totem when she got her power (if it's the first time she used it). And next to the totem is a info poster about the tribes and the raven, Chloe's (maybe) spirit animal. So that could be an indication that the tribes have a connection with spirit animals.
[/theorytime]

Finished the episode, enjoyed it :).

I knew that something with a (forest) fire will happen, there were so many hints (the name of the band, Chloe's diary entry and pic, the initiative, school's info poster, info poster about the tree, dream sequence, and probably more), Although I thought it would happen in the last episode.

And this episode strengthens my believe in my head-canon/theory about all the supernatural stuff :).
My head.canon is that all the supernatural stuff and spirit animals are linked with the Native American Tribes/Totems. My idea is that they want to protect their land (maybe from the Prescotts family owning the whole land?) and so give power to some people. In the gallery in LiS1, there is a magazine talking about mysteries, and on the cover is a totem. When Max got her power, she was close to a totem. Now Rachel was also close to a totem when she got her power (if it's the first time she used it). And next to the totem is a info poster about the tribes and the raven, Chloe's (maybe) spirit animal. So that could be an indication that the tribes have a connection with spirit animals.
[/theorytime]

Max was in a bathroom when she got her power, there weren't any totems there lol

Not saying you're wrong. It's an interesting observation and I can see it being the case. It's definitely a big part of the game's symbolism and stuff

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Of course, but that doesn't mean you need to sleep together the first time you talk to her. I felt it was very rushed, she's just beginning to know her. "More that friends?" At that point she hardly knew her name!

Saw this on Reddit, totally missed it in the game haha
Hahaha I missed the pencils too.

Munti

Max was in a bathroom when she got her power, there weren't any totems there lol

Not saying you're wrong. It's an interesting observation and I can see it being the case. It's definitely a big part of the game's symbolism and stuff
The totem is on the school area, so not so far away from the school's toilet / bathroom is on holy land :p. And Max walked surely a lot close the totem.

Honestly I don't think I'm right :). And I think that there isn't a definitive answer and it's more about symbolism, as u said. The series let's you interpret it how u want (hence I call it head-canon) and lets make your own answers.

JDB

Banned
Was much better than I expected, loved it. I think Chloe's voice actress pulled it off pretty well and I got used to her pretty quickly. It's probably good I haven't played LiS in a while because I honestly couldn't remember what the voices of the other characters sounded like so I have no idea who got different voice overs. I do think the voice acting where Chloe mashes stuff with her baseball bat fell a bit flat. I think the original voice actress would've done a much better job. The car scene right after made up for it, though.

I missed Life is Strange. Wish the others episodes were released already. :(

I'm going to be pretty disappointed if Rachel's windy scream superpower is going to be used to retcon explain the storm that destroys the town.

I would love for them to link Rachel's scream to Max's power. I wonder whether they went along with this idea when they developed the prequel or if Dontnod planned for this all along

JDB

Banned
I would love for them to link Rachel's scream to Max's power. I wonder whether they went along with this idea when they developed the prequel or if Dontnod planned for this all along
It'd be hard to do so without Chloe being aware because she didn't mention anything like that during LiS.

It'd be hard to do so without Chloe being aware because she didn't mention anything like that during LiS.

But that is exactly what I mean. Maybe we as players will pick on something Chloe won't because we know much more than her. Or maybe the developer will show us something about Rachel without Chloe being present to see it.
This is all wishful thinking though.

Finished this the other night, liked it. Had no idea that it was developed by a different team than the original LiS; what a weird thing

carlsojo

But that is exactly what I mean. Maybe we as players will pick on something Chloe won't because we know much more than her. Or maybe the developer will show us something about Rachel without Chloe being present to see it.

Man what if Rachel rewinds time at the start of the next episode so that Chloe doesn't see her powers.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I doubt that. The original game didn't show anything that Max couldn't see or hear. In fact, I don't think there was a single scene where she wasn't present,
except for the nightmare/destroyed timeline sequence where you play as Victoria for a minute or two.

Vanilla LiS:
The storm doesn't appear if Max sacrifices Chloe, so that does point the finger at Max causing the storm. They'd have to explain that away.

That's largest issue w/o The the first game.

I'd be fine with a retcon as the storm was never explained in anyway. I didn't like that the storm was this arbitrary thing to force your decision.

Vanilla LiS:
The storm doesn't appear if Max sacrifices Chloe, so that does point the finger at Max causing the storm. They'd have to explain that away.
The storm was established before Max got her powers though. It'd be more correct to say Max's involvement was the solution to the storm. As to why the storm had to be confronted by Max specifically, we may or may not find out in this game

StarVigil

Max is a bitch. Reading the journal and the texts is heartbreaking. Poor Chloe..
Regarding the voices, I thought it wouldn't bother me, but it actually did a lot. No one sounded like they did in the first game, except the science teacher. Victoria and Nathan didn't sound like total assholes. David didn't sound like David either. More like an actual loser and less the full on military guy. Frank I didn't really care much for. All in all the voice acting sounded very amateur compared to the first game.
Otherwise I enjoyed it a lot. Being in Chloe's house again felt like home. The loss of William is portrayed so well. Seeing that car was brutal.

Man what if Rachel rewinds time at the start of the next episode so that Chloe doesn't see her powers.
But did Chloe even notice the " powers "? I'm still not sure if there is anything supernatural about them or if the shades were pure aesthetic choices from the developer

I doubt that. The original game didn't show anything that Max couldn't see or hear. In fact, I don't think there was a single scene where she wasn't present,
except for the nightmare/destroyed timeline sequence where you play as Victoria for a minute or two.

We did technically see some scenes where Max wasn't present, notably the end scenes of each episode with the different characters.
But you are right on this front, nothing major slipped through Max

I finished this episode on Friday. I was a little hesitant when I heard it wasn't Dontnod and that Ashly Burch was not Chloe's voice actor, but I needn't have been worried. I loved the dynamic between Chloe and Rachel, the soundtrack was again amazing and that car scene in the junkyard honestly didn't make me cry...honestly it was allergies.

I must admit the last scene with Rachel's scream took me by surprise. I can't wait until episode 2.

Played through in one sitting last night, absolutely blown away by it. These guys get the character maybe even better than dontnod did. I think the writing was just fantastic - whereas with dontnod I kind of gave them the benefit of the doubt when it came to awkward teenager dialogue (I think a lot of it was intentional), here there is no doubt - when it's awkward it's meant to be. The writing is clever, warm, and genuinely funny when it wants to be. The whole thing would have fallen down if Chloe's wit wasn't actually, well, witty, but it is. Some of the barbed tongue challenges felt a bit artificial though, but I enjoyed doing those just the same.

The ending gives me a bit of pause. I hope it doesn't become a bunch of lore for why the supernatural elements of the original happened or anything. But based on episode 1 I trust them. It just doesn't need that stuff, this episode was really captivating and relateable.

Joeku

These guys get the character maybe even better than dontnod did. I think the writing was just fantastic - whereas with dontnod I kind of gave them the benefit of the doubt when it came to awkward teenager dialogue (I think a lot of it was intentional), here there is no doubt - when it's awkward it's meant to be.

I don't know if it's the nearly two years I've spent sitting on LiS, but I agree. All of this feels more intentional that coincidental, to the point that I intentionally played Chloe as a complete bitch to her mother. It felt more "correct" for Chloe at that point, and her attitude was completely cringe-inducing in the right way. Not sure whether I got complacent with LiS dialogue or they just wrote it more accurately "teenagered".

I don't know if it's the nearly two years I've spent sitting on LiS, but I agree. All of this feels more intentional that coincidental, to the point that I intentionally played Chloe as a complete bitch to her mother. It felt more "correct" for Chloe at that point, and her attitude was completely cringe-inducing in the right way. Not sure whether I got complacent with LiS dialogue or they just wrote it more accurately "teenagered".

I played episode 1 again the other day (of season 1) and the dialogue is definitely leaps and bounds better in BTS. It's really remarkable how much more authentic it sounds. Even in the beginning when Chloe is trying to get to the show and the 'tude is through the roof I feel like it's pretty much what her internal monologue would be like.

Somewhat of an aside, but I watched this video analyzing the themes and genres that the original LiS works in and I found it super interesting and it nails why the ending choice feels so whack and out of place: it's 2 endings to essentially 2 different stories with different themes. That's not even getting into the Bury Your Gays shit the game (literally) indulges in. Give it a watch if you're interested, I promise it's good and entertaining.

snap

Banned
There was a lot of hinting that Rachel is somehow hooking into or is the embodiment of that crow (raven?) god that showed up if you looked at that totem in the park scene. The quote that stuck with me from that (I think from Chloe reading the slate? idk I beat the episode like a week ago): "The crow should be respected, but never trusted."

Then think about how there's a lot of hinting that Rachel is telling a lie, from her two truths and a lie game and Chloe mentioning that she's good at lying and acting, to the crow imagery that kept popping up in the episode, to the very end where every time she shrieked wind blew and the sound was not unlike a bird's screech.

There's also probably something to the changing posters of the play as looked at in an above post.

edit: I will say though, they really sold this episode badly. Before the good WOM I wasn't going to buy it, but I'm glad I did. It seemed unnecessary, not the best written, and it seemed like they completely misunderstood David's character, but in the context of the final game I think it works well enough.

So I just finished this finally. Holy shit! They did not market this well at all. It's just as good as the original 5 episodes! I will say they present a lot of questions by the end of the episode. Kind of interested to see how they close this in 2 more episodes.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
omg I never realized to check the journal during dream scenes

The Max-related journal articles were already devastating, but the dream ones.... even more so. damn.

can't wait for more episodes...

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
The nightmare journal implies Max commits suicide right? Especially if you reverse the order the texts come in as well (since they come in backwards).

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
The nightmare journal implies Max commits suicide right? Especially if you reverse the order the texts come in as well (since they come in backwards).

I think so yeah.

Also, I'm totally on board the "Rachel IS the storm and responsible for giving Max her powers" boat. Chloe dying being the last straw for the city triggering the activation of Max's powers or sth.

Top Bottom