• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sad that Mononoke isn't here with us to be WTF'ing over this episode.

Friendly reminder that Victoria "Fuck Your Selfie" Chase is the best character ever.

I swear I'm gonna use that insult once in my lifetime. Then I can die in peace.

Ambitious

Quite a lot of buzz about the latest episode on Twitter. I think I'm gonna buy the whole season when the last episode is released.

Seriously,
who the hell gets that drunk on half a beer?
It is a ruse, a ruse! He just acted drunk so Max wouldn't find it suspicious when he asked for a photo, he made the photo so Max would have a checkpoint.
He's gonna be like: "I expected you Miss Caulfield" when she comes back.
*removes tinfoil hat*

Choomp

Banned
I finished it! Episode 4 was just damn amazing and also made me go
FUCK EVERYTHING.

To you guys who have valid complains about the dissonance between the game and the story, you're very much right, but I gotta give it to DONTNOD for lasting this long without doing it.

I'm also surprised at how well the themes are used. Like god damn, any other developer would have failed at using all of them at the same time, but DONTNOD does it effortlessly and in a way that only the most dedicated players would realize.

For example:

The End of the World/Destiny - Max's vision. The party name itself happening a day or mere hours before Max's vision. The Prescott's having apocalypse shelters, David also prepared for the apocalypse with all the food in the house. All the weird events. The Prescott's having some kind of destiny in Arcadia Bay. Max wondering if it was her destiny to save Chloe and thus getting her powers. Chloe who seems destined to always die.

Spirit Animals - The Native American undertones, and their statue in fron of the dorm rooms. Max's and Chloe animal. Alt Chloe's drawing of a blue butterfly, similar to the one who distracted Max in the bathroom enough to allow her to save Chloe.

Everyday Hero - The game has constantly demonstrated that the little acts are what counts. Max saving Chloe in many times and obviously Kate are the most obvious examples, but also helping Alyssa, Daniel, the science teacher, and making Warren a courageous person are some of the more discreet examples. Even if many are done with her time travel powers, it becomes evident that it's not necessary for anyone to be a Everyday Hero. And well, the photo contest too.

And others, that I just forgot. Dammit. And all of these done while also tackling subjects game generally never touch like
depression and euthanasia.
Bloody amazing.

Anyway, I'm so sad. We only have one more episode of this fantastic game. I don't think I have enjoyed any other game as much as I did this. DONTNOD deserves every single praise and more for this game.

On
Max successfully convincing Victoria she's in danger: I attribute that to her having drank some alcohol. You cannot imagine how many people who I thought despised me actually went drunk to me telling me how much they appreciated me. I suppose it was similar here. Plus she mentioned how Nathan was very weird recently, so it might have clicked with her.

I was wondering why
Nathan/Jefferson had killed Rachel but not Kate, and when you check Rachel's pictures in the Dark Room, Max mentions how angry she looks in the pictures, as if she knew what was being done to her. It's likely that she regained full consciousness and they killed her. It's also pretty fucked up to think that Nathan had drugged Chloe before, makes you wonder what would have happened to her if she hadn't hit him with that lamp :/

Also,
I wonder if the people who hated Chloe in Episode 2 actually went back on their words when she apologized in the most sincere way possible. She felt quite different in this episode, save for a few moments.

And
dat decision 1, I stood there 10 minutes, with Alt Chloe staring at me. If I could go right after watching Blade Runner with the person I love the most in the world, I probably take that chance, if I were in Chloe's place. What happened if you refused? How did Chloe react?

Good stuff. I love the use of all the themes and symbolism as well, you can tell a lot of thought has been put in, really intriguing.

I couldn't bring myself to kill Chloe. If you decide not to like I did, she gets upset and gives Max some guilt about not being able to see her and that she feels left down. As much as I think killing her would be for the better, I don't think Max was in a position to take her life. That part was so heartbreaking. The whole idea of her wanting her last moments to be doing stuff she loved with Max and looking at pictures of their childhood made me tear up. The saddest thing was you saw some glimpses of the same exact Chloe from the other timeline and you could feel how depressed and trapped she must feel. Maybe I should've put her out of her misery.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I couldn't bring myself to kill Chloe. If you decide not to like I did, she gets upset and gives Max some guilt about not being able to see her and that she feels left down. As much as I think killing her would be for the better, I don't think Max was in a position to take her life. That part was so heartbreaking. The whole idea of her wanting her last moments to be doing stuff she loved with Max and looking at pictures of their childhood made me tear up. The saddest thing was you saw some glimpses of the same exact Chloe from the other timeline and you could feel how depressed and trapped she must feel. Maybe I should've put her out of her misery.

Damn, I don't think I could have taken that. I felt pretty liberating to let her die. To be honest, I was doubting if I had actually killed her or if she was just asleep. It was so calm. If I had to take the decision again, I think I wouldn't change my decision. Heck, my only worries were not about Chloe, but rather about what would happen to Max, to his parents, but you can see, as Chloe's mom said, that they were working just to keep up with the bills, rather than living, even if they loved every single moment with their daughter. I think that is one of the most grey choices in gaming ever.

Steamlord

Also,
I wonder if the people who hated Chloe in Episode 2 actually went back on their words when she apologized in the most sincere way possible. She felt quite different in this episode, save for a few moments.

It was a definite improvement. She was still stupid and irresponsible, but she didn't come off as an asshole most of the time. Her apology was very refreshing.

Choomp

Banned
It was a definite improvement. She was still stupid and irresponsible, but she didn't come off as an asshole most of the time. Her apology was very refreshing.

Yeah, I also thinks that make the decision of talking to Kate rather than taking Chloe's call a lot better if it wasn't already.

BY2K

Membero Americo
It is a ruse, a ruse! He just acted drunk so Max wouldn't find it suspicious when he asked for a photo, he made the photo so Max would have a checkpoint.
He's gonna be like: "I expected you Miss Caulfield" when she comes back.
*removes tinfoil hat*

WARREN IS
MORPHEUS!

barnone

this is my third interactive novel, after 999 and Virtues Last Reward. I love this genre! I think it's great for the games industry to popularize these interactive stories. I hope more keep coming and that they keep quality in line with the three I've played.

I think I'll play steins;gate next.

Egg0

Banned
Hey all, I think I'm in the middle of Ep. 2 right now. Quick question, does the game ever stop telling you that you can rewind time after you make some sort of decision?

An example is when Kate asks you what she should do, go to the police or find more proof.

There's also some dialogue from Max saying maybe she should've done it the other way, right after the decision. It's constantly making me doubt my choices. I mean if that's what the devs were going for, I guess it worked. I haven't checked but is there some sort of toggle to turn off that sort of notification? I'm on PS4 btw.

carlsojo

Hey all, I think I'm in the middle of Ep. 2 right now. Quick question, does the game ever stop telling you that you can rewind time after you make some sort of decision?

An example is when Kate asks you what she should do, go to the police or find more proof.

There's also some dialogue from Max saying maybe she should've done it the other way, right after the decision. It's constantly making me doubt my choices. I mean if that's what the devs were going for, I guess it worked. I haven't checked but is there some sort of toggle to turn off that sort of notification? I'm on PS4 btw.

No, it's just Max's internal monologue. I don't know if it's supposed to make you doubt your decisions, just acknowledging that it could have been done differently.

Being nice to her is a pain in the ass, but it will be worth it in episode 5.
When she saves your ass from the creepy dark room.

She's probably in the dark room with you. Regardless if you have Max warn Victoria of Nathan or not, she probably doesn't suspect Jefferson, and her binder seems to indicate that she will be the next one. I've even read theories that it is Victoria that is crying in the preview.

Nuke Soda

She's probably in the dark room with you. Regardless if you have Max warn Victoria of Nathan or not, she probably doesn't suspect Jefferson, and her binder seems to indicate that she will be the next one. I've even read theories that it is Victoria that is crying in the preview.

Maybe that was her, but it sounded like Max to me. I think that Jefferson is so focused on Max that he leaves Victoria alone.

Steamlord

Yeah, I assumed Jefferson shifted his focus to Max at least for the time being after discovering her snooping.

Being nice to her is a pain in the ass, but it will be worth it in episode 5.
When she saves your ass from the creepy dark room.

God, don't say that. If I get a shitty ending because I took a picture of her stupid paint-covered ass in Episode 1...

Maybe that was her, but it sounded like Max to me. I think that Jefferson is so focused on Max that he leaves Victoria alone.

The voice is Max, but the crying in the background could be a second person. Maybe Jefferson snagged Victoria before heading to the junkyard, and now has both Max and Victoria in his dungeon. But you could also be right too. Maybe Max is alone, and is able to rewind to the point when her and Warren took a picture together. Max is able to prevent everything from happening, but somehow causes Jefferson to take Victoria instead.

I also want to know what's going on with Nathan. Is he hiding out now? Was it his body in the ground, and not Rachel's? How come on some playthroughs Nathan's jacket is in the dark room, but in others it's not? So many questions.

Jachaos

The voice is Max, but the crying in the background could be a second person. Maybe Jefferson snagged Victoria before heading to the junkyard, and now has both Max and Victoria in his dungeon. But you could also be right too. Maybe Max is alone, and is able to rewind to the point when her and Warren took a picture together. Max is able to prevent everything from happening, but somehow causes Jefferson to take Victoria instead.

I also want to know what's going on with Nathan. Is he hiding out now? Was it his body in the ground, and not Rachel's? How come on some playthroughs Nathan's jacket is in the dark room, but in others it's not? So many questions.

Wait, in some playthroughs his jacket's not there? Very interesting. My speculation I posted in the spoiler thread was that Nathan's whereabouts are hinted at when he says "Plus my dad's on his way! You're all fucked! He owns you!" https://youtu.be/rWvOTfIouXE?t=1h52m29s

That's the last thing he says. I don't see how Nathan would be the body as only a few hours later we find the corpse yet it already supposedly smells really bad. Even if Jefferson also had rewind powers, everyone wouldn't remember seeing him alive that very afternoon. If we can find out what causes his jacket to be missing that'd tell a lot.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Thats what the dev is going for. They want you to know there's no right or wrong choice here.

is there a place to buy an xbox one code for this? I want to get it for a friend as a gift. Amazon seems to have PC, ps4, ps3...but neither 360 or xbox one

Jachaos

Found a playthrough that didn't have the jacket and checked the choices. No jacket -> Intervened to help Kate. Reported Nathan. Comforted Victoria. Took the blame for Chloe. Told Kate to wait for more proof. Answered her call. Didn’t try to shoot Frank. Saved Kate. Blamed Mr. Jefferson. Stole the money. Kissed with Chloe. Sided with Chloe. Kept Frank’s dog from harm. Chloe has David’s gun. Frank is friend. Max pulled Warren off him. Said yes to Chloe. Warned Victoria and she believed.

I think it might have to do with blaming Mr. Jefferson.

Wait, in some playthroughs his jacket's not there? Very interesting. My speculation I posted in the spoiler thread was that Nathan's whereabouts are hinted at when he says "Plus my dad's on his way! You're all fucked! He owns you!" https://youtu.be/rWvOTfIouXE?t=1h52m29s

That's the last thing he says. I don't see how Nathan would be the body as only a few hours later we find the corpse yet it already supposedly smells really bad. Even if Jefferson also had rewind powers, everyone wouldn't remember seeing him alive that very afternoon. If we can find out what causes his jacket to be missing that'd tell a lot.

I forgot to add that you may or may not find a selfie of Max in Nathan's room. It didn't show up for mine, but it has for other people. Might be linked to when you blame Nathan in episode 1, and he trashes your dorm in the next.

Jachaos

I forgot to add that you may or may not find a selfie of Max in Nathan's room. It didn't show up for mine, but it has for other people. Might be linked to when you blame Nathan in episode 1, and he trashes your dorm in the next.

I think maybe by blaming Jefferson that playthrough avoided Nathan getting suspended and thus he didn't go to the Dark Room that day so his jacket wasn't left there. As for the selfie, that'd make sense.

Nuke Soda

So many questions and now the wait seems a little longer.

Steamlord

After disabling chromatic aberration I realized there was also an annoying blurry vignette around the screen. I just looked through the .ini and it turns out you can also disable that by setting "AllowRadialBlur" to False.

webkatt

So on XBL they are advertising some deal with gold and it has a picture of Life is Strange. I see no discount!?

For some inexplicable reason that I refuse to investigate because of fear of spoilers for the last 3 hours "Life is Strange" has been trending on Twitter in Mexico and it bewilders me.

I've been considering this game and the more time passes the more hype I see surrounding it. The reviews haven't been overwhelmingly positive, though. Did this game's subsequent episodes fix the writing and questionable voice acting that was so criticized on the first episodes? You guys think this game can be GOTY material?

This game intrigues me very much.

LUXURY

For some inexplicable reason that I refuse to investigate because of fear of spoilers for the last 3 hours "Life is Strange" has been trending on Twitter in Mexico and it bewilders me.

I've been considering this game and the more time passes the more hype I see surrounding it. The reviews haven't been overwhelmingly positive, though. Did this game's subsequent episodes fix the writing and questionable voice acting that was so criticized on the first episodes? You guys think this game can be GOTY material?

This game intrigues me very much.

If the game intrigues you enough you'll overlook the writing and voice acting. I see absolutely no problem with the writing but I know people complain because it sounds really dated teen talk. The voice acting is fine as well. It's my game of the year I can tell you that. This game makes me feel for every moment. It's great to have that restored by this game.

I'm so close to diving into this game but one thing that holds me back is that I rather play it on PS4 but I lack that console and I don't see myself buying one in the short term. PC is not an option, how does it play on PS3? Is it a considerable downgrade from PS4? At least I know it's not as glitchy as Telltale's shitty outdated engine.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Shouldn't be any spoilers in this.

Episode 4, I'm mostly positive on, but actually it's a step down from the last 3, if only because it's the first episode I had some game bugs and stuff seemed really rushed (which makes sense because it was easily the longest episode by far).

It's the first time you can really tell the answers are stitched together, it feels like Mass Effect 1 versus the last few episodes where everything flowed a lot better when 'interrogating' people on the dialog screen.

Also, a lot of the dialog is just retreading over and over and 'new information' from people was actually pretty scarce in this one, with anything really relevant being almost all on the critical path of the episode. It was the first episode where I was purposely skipping people and walking past stuff because I was thinking "Come on, lets just get this shit going I don't care about hearing about the same thing from you for the 8th time, just worded differently."

I'm also annoyed at a few lack of major choices. Only spoiler but early on in the episode I wish you could
tell chloe about the whole time travel trip. That felt soooooo cliched of "I shouldn't say shit." Fuck that, Max makes some terrible decisions but she can't even debate telling her because it might hurt her feelings? Dumb. You don't even have to show it, just fade the screen out and give us a reaction from her. Literally would have added a day at most to the development time.

But, the rather brisk pace of the episode and just how much shit actually happens saves it and makes it overall positive. I can still say I enjoyed my time with it, it just felt kinda stilted and cliched in a lot of spots, the dialog was patched together less good than usual, and almost all the extra talking was utterly pointless and not worth listening to.

Funniest bug I had was basically a recreation of the bug in Heavy Rain where the dad yells SHAWNNN all throughout the game. Chloe had some triggered timed background dialog and she just wouldn't shut up, even after I clearly past the point in the section where her dialog should have been disabled. She's like "Max do this thing" when I did it 4 gameplay steps ago... and to make it weirder she's talking to me in the formal dialog screen. It was a weird bug hearing two Chloe's talking at the same time to me.

Still excited to finally see what happens and how it all wraps up in 5. I'm guessing happy endings for everyone to be honest.

Vylash

I'm also annoyed at a few lack of major choices. Only spoiler but early on in the episode I wish you could
tell chloe about the whole time travel trip. That felt soooooo cliched of "I shouldn't say shit." Fuck that, Max makes some terrible decisions but she can't even debate telling her because it might hurt her feelings? Dumb. You don't even have to show it, just fade the screen out and give us a reaction from her. Literally would have added a day at most to the development time.

why on earth would you want to do this?
"oh hey chloe, you know your dad? whose death has severly impacted your life for years and made you miserable? yeah i got to chill with him again, he's pretty cool, oh yeah you have to be crippled for him to live, but that's in another timeline, you can never see him again...so anyway that was my day

Jachaos

If the game intrigues you enough you'll overlook the writing and voice acting. I see absolutely no problem with the writing but I know people complain because it sounds really dated teen talk. The voice acting is fine as well. It's my game of the year I can tell you that. This game makes me feel for every moment. It's great to have that restored by this game.

I'll add that some of the best voice acting this year has been in the latest episode so I don't consider it a weakness at all. Some do seem to have a problem with the writing (which is more about the vocabulary of the students generally as on the details, choices' impact, symbolism, foreshadowing, they know how to make a great mystery.

jakomocha

Just beat Episode 4 last night...
HOLY SHIT!
Thinking about the ending kept me up till 5am lol.

This game is now equal to Walking Dead as my favorite story in a game ever. I did not expect this series to get this
dark
based off of the earlier episodes, which certainly helped make this episode feel so unsettling and disturbing.

Jachaos

I'm so close to diving into this game but one thing that holds me back is that I rather play it on PS4 but I lack that console and I don't see myself buying one in the short term. PC is not an option, how does it play on PS3? Is it a considerable downgrade from PS4? At least I know it's not as glitchy as Telltale's shitty outdated engine.

It runs fine. Texture pop-ins, lower res textures, more limited animations, but it's playable. That video only shows the first few minutes by the way, but it's enough of a spoiler there at the end that you should only watch the first couple minutes of the video.

Jachaos

jesus that looks pretty bad to be honest, I wouldn't want someone to experience it on the PS3

The first few seconds are especially bad but after that it's mostly screen tearing, resolution, etc.

If he waits a year before buying a PS4 and PC is out of the option, he'd might get spoiled by then. I feel that while there's a difference it's not in the unplayable territory on PS3.

Vylash

It runs fine. Texture pop-ins, lower res textures, more limited animations, but it's playable. That video only shows the first few minutes by the way, but it's enough of a spoiler there at the end that you should only watch the first couple minutes of the video.

i love how both versions look exactly the same

FrsDvl

Man.. This game. I just finished episode 3, I don't think I've ever been so emotionally invested in a game. I definitely need to take a little break from this.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
why on earth would you want to do this?
"oh hey chloe, you know your dad? whose death has severly impacted your life for years and made you miserable? yeah i got to chill with him again, he's pretty cool, oh yeah you have to be crippled for him to live, but that's in another timeline, you can never see him again...so anyway that was my day

You wouldn't phrase it like that. They deal with heavy stuff a lot in this series, I don't think talking about her experience of the event and more specifically, focusing on what happened to her instead of her family would really cause too much issue. I'm sure eventually
Chloe would ask about her dad, and yeah the room would get a bit awkward, but Max doesn't need to focus on it more than "He still loved you, I'm sorry this present you couldn't be there to see him..."

Even then, let's say you're right and it does end up being an awkward downer, at least give me the option even if it's a negative impact overall for me. That's what I like about the game, some of the worst choices ever that you'd never pick are available to you, but at least they're there, and that makes it feel way more organic and fleshed out.

I got a bit annoyed with this episode...
the way they never cover tracks (which would be so easy with the rewind power) and now actually plan on shooting someone, seems very out of character.

I think this latest episode was the weakest yet,
only fun I had was with the detective style pinboard puzzle.

Top Bottom