• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

Steamlord

I hope Kate saves Max and blows Jefferson's brains out. Then they can go drink tea in Portland together.

Not really, just wishful thinking. David is probably the best character for that job since he's a vet and it would provide a nice redemptive conclusion for his arc.

Chariot

I hope Kate saves Max and blows Jefferson's brains out. Then they can go drink tea in Portland together.

Not really, just wishful thinking. David is probably the best character for that job since he's a vet and it would provide a nice redemptive conclusion for his arc.
I don't want that, but I hope that this is going to be a player choice.

Jachaos

It will all hinge on whether Frank's dead or not

Not really, Frank could come in at some other point but I see David, Samuel and maybe Warren as the only ones that could save Max by how they seem to be in the know but are hiding it slightly. There's also the homeless woman but I don't see that happening lol. There's also "That fucked up principal" line from Nathan that makes me think he knows a lot, seeing all that was on his computer and the bribery from the Prescotts. But I don't think he'd be on our side, except for the look he gave at the end of the meeting in Episode 2. Speaking of Nathan, he'd be another possible way to escape. Maybe Victoria helps convince him if you warned her and you pulled Warren off Nathan? Those choices were presented as major but we don't know what implications the Victoria one will have.

Tuck

Episode 1 done - think I'll wait till next week to play the second though. The game's camera makes me a bit woozy so I play in somewhat short bursts. Episode length was great though.

Came away pretty impressed - its like Heavy Rain but on another level. I loved seeing how some of my actions early on were popping up again by the end.

if anyone here cares about achievements. Seems that the shutterbug one maybe glitched or something on xbox one. Didnt unlock for me and several others. Its the one for all optional photos in ep 4

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Me too i hope he
saves Max in the end
Gross, I was mad he had to stick his nose in when Nathan showed up, I shoulda gotten away without him. I can turn back time dangit. Lots of ways to get out of that without macho crap and talk of "alpha" bs. They keep shoe-horning him in everywhere. If anybody, it should be Alyssa. I helped her over and over, it's her turn.

Great episode - enjoyed it much more than the previous one. Just wish they didn't telegraph the final
reveal as much as they did

Also, I do think the opening to this episode would have worked better to end episode 3 on and have it tie itself up better.

Humdinger

Gold Member
Great job, DONTNOD! I was skeptical of a game about the friendship between two teenage girls, but you've really pulled it off. You've exceeded my expectations in every regard. Beautiful visuals and scenery, good dialog and pacing, believable and interesting characters, all around a fine game. Very impressed. I'm glad it's a success, in such a bro-dominated market. Looking forward to the conclusion.

if anyone here cares about achievements. Seems that the shutterbug one maybe glitched or something on xbox one. Didnt unlock for me and several others. Its the one for all optional photos in ep 4
Got mine with no issues. Trying going into Collectibles mode or whatever it's called and grab one or two of the photos again, think I got mine to pop like that when I had the same issue but back in episode 2 I believe it was. although that may have just been because the Xbox Live achievement servers were acting up for me at the time if I remember correctly.

Got mine with no issues. Trying going into Collectibles mode or whatever it's called and grab one or two of the photos again, think I got mine to pop like that when I had the same issue but back in episode 2 I believe it was. although that may have just been because the Xbox Live achievement servers were acting up for me at the time if I remember correctly.

I tried that.
I tried playing through it again, grabbing all of them
And I tried going into a new save slot and getting them all again.

It could be a problem with the xbox servers or whatever. The achievements app was having problems a couple days last week.

sheamus

#TeamFuckKate

so the wait begins again and DONTNOD take as much time as you need to make the ending to this magical experience. you maybe one of the most interesting developers in the industry right now.

Chaos17

Did anyone else have a feeling something like that was coming? Because that ending didn't surprise me very much.

Same.
From the moment the girls said
"no cops"
I knew it was going to end bad.

I supected the
teacher from the first episode because of the rumors, then I kida knew he was on the bad side when he made Kate cry and now that Ia m thinking about it. Someone was needed to take all those photos.

She can only go back to where she was.
She wasn't in the place Rachel was killed.

Warning Chloe woul have done the job then. Max know how destructive the death of Chloe dad was for her best friend, but she didn't hesitate or tried anything else to avoid that alternate fate.
I still can't accept the the present Chloe who is under weed, alchohol and be on a dangerous road had more luck that the carefull and smart Chloe of the past.
For me DOT NOD just pulled Telltale on that intro, which I dislike it a lot.

Warning Chloe woul have done the job then. Max know how destructive the death of Chloe dad was for her best friend, but she didn't hesitate or tried anything else to avoid that alternate fate.
I still can't accept the the present Chloe who is under weed, alchohol and be on a dangerous road had more luck that the carefull and smart Chloe of the past.

It's more of the fact that someone else rammed into her, not her own incompetence. If you're getting hit from behind at presumably high speed and flying into a ditch, there's not exactly much you can do about it. I wasn't exactly happy with Chloe being miserable (I was hoping she'd be happy and it'd be a case of having to go back even though she's happy and has her father back, Max still has to go back to the original timeline due to health reasons, but that's all w/e) but that wasn't a problem at all, really.

Choomp

Banned

I wasn't exactly a fan of erasing that whole deal once you made the decision, but I think that it was worth it for the emotional impact and to show how messing with the timelines could do, I think the big dilemma in episode 5 is going to be something like that, where Max is going to have to change something that could save Chloe but also screw up a lot of stuff and prove to be terrible in other ways.

Vico

Started playing it, and really loving it.
However, this sure is missing better facial expressions, and better lips-synch. I actually stop looking at characters' faces sometimes, juste because it distracts me.

Vylash

#TeamFuckKate
lq9zex8.gif

Me too i hope he
saves Max in the end
I hope Max at least mostly gets herself out, but if anyone shows up to save the day, it's gotta be David. (And that would be an awkward conversation lol)

Is it just me or did the general production seem to get bumped up a bit this episode? Lip sync is slightly (slightly) better, character animation seems a bit more fleshed out overall, there seemed to be more sound/foley for things like people shifting in chairs, some of the cutscene-to-gameplay transitions had a MGS4 slickness to them, etc.

I hope Max at least mostly gets herself out, but if anyone shows up to save the day, it's gotta be David. (And that would be an awkward conversation lol)

Is it just me or did the general production seem to get bumped up a bit this episode? Lip sync is slightly (slightly) better, character animation seems a bit more fleshed out overall, there seemed to be more sound/foley for things like people shifting in chairs, some of the cutscene-to-gameplay transitions had a MGS4 slickness to them, etc.

Been noticing that a bit too.

If/when they get a season 2, I could see it being something even better in that department.

Takuhi

Didn't the developers say they were adding more scenes of certain characters into episodes 4 and 5 in response to those characters' popularity in the first two episodes? I bet the
hospital scene
was one of the additions... It was a new environment but didn't have any photo ops and the whole
Kate texts you Nathan's room number thing
seemed pretty silly when it was so obvious what room it is.

If that was a late addition, though, I'm really glad they did it.

GeoGonzo

Full Ep4 spoilers!

I've been thinking (maybe a bit too much) about this:
I think that the time travel to a younger self is a completely different timetravel with different rules. A regular Max rewind goes only a few minutes back and deletes the old Max from the timeline, replacing her by the timetraveling Max who remains in the same physical spot where she started to rewind from. This is why we can keep objects and teleport with the rewind (oddly the game asks us to do this frequently but no character notices it, not even Chloe in the barn). This is also a huge liability since you can't undo getting hurt (think Prince of Persia) like when Max can't teleport out of her abduction at the end of the episode, the drug stays with her. If Max had been shot it probably would have been a complete game over!

But "Photo diving" is stranger:
-Just like the regular rewind she keeps her full memories but...
-Her adult mind basically takes over her younger self body.
-She can still do regular rewinds as her younger self.
-Once it is over she gets thrown back into a new "present" but she doesn't actually remember how the past played out (being friends with Victoria, for example).

Assumption time:
-I don't think that Max can choose to remain in that timeline. It is likely that pulling this off strains her power and at some point she has to let go and be thrown into a new "present", affected by her chaged timeline.
-I don't think young Max even remembers what happened once it was done, she probably was put back in charge of her body being none the wiser. That's super weird and creepy.

I think the whole alternative timeline subplot is framed as "living dad and dying Chloe" vs "dead dad and troubled Chloe" but in a way, for Max, the alternative timeline isn't just worse, it is also foreign to her: She does have the power to change timelines, but the lesson she took from it was that unintended consequences happen, and sometimes you just have to deal with it and move on (this is also a mayor theme of the game itself: Kate, for example). The very deliberate destruction of the kitchen photo when she goes back to her timeline indicates she's never going to tell Chloe and she's done fucking around timelines and she doesn't plan to do it ever again (even if she'll probably have to at some point in Ep5).

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I finished it! Episode 4 was just damn amazing and also made me go
FUCK EVERYTHING.

To you guys who have valid complains about the dissonance between the game and the story, you're very much right, but I gotta give it to DONTNOD for lasting this long without doing it.

I'm also surprised at how well the themes are used. Like god damn, any other developer would have failed at using all of them at the same time, but DONTNOD does it effortlessly and in a way that only the most dedicated players would realize.

For example:

The End of the World/Destiny - Max's vision. The party name itself happening a day or mere hours before Max's vision. The Prescott's having apocalypse shelters, David also prepared for the apocalypse with all the food in the house. All the weird events. The Prescott's having some kind of destiny in Arcadia Bay. Max wondering if it was her destiny to save Chloe and thus getting her powers. Chloe who seems destined to always die.

Spirit Animals - The Native American undertones, and their statue in fron of the dorm rooms. Max's and Chloe animal. Alt Chloe's drawing of a blue butterfly, similar to the one who distracted Max in the bathroom enough to allow her to save Chloe.

Everyday Hero - The game has constantly demonstrated that the little acts are what counts. Max saving Chloe in many times and obviously Kate are the most obvious examples, but also helping Alyssa, Daniel, the science teacher, and making Warren a courageous person are some of the more discreet examples. Even if many are done with her time travel powers, it becomes evident that it's not necessary for anyone to be a Everyday Hero. And well, the photo contest too.

And others, that I just forgot. Dammit. And all of these done while also tackling subjects game generally never touch like
depression and euthanasia.
Bloody amazing.

Anyway, I'm so sad. We only have one more episode of this fantastic game. I don't think I have enjoyed any other game as much as I did this. DONTNOD deserves every single praise and more for this game.

On
Max successfully convincing Victoria she's in danger: I attribute that to her having drank some alcohol. You cannot imagine how many people who I thought despised me actually went drunk to me telling me how much they appreciated me. I suppose it was similar here. Plus she mentioned how Nathan was very weird recently, so it might have clicked with her.

I was wondering why
Nathan/Jefferson had killed Rachel but not Kate, and when you check Rachel's pictures in the Dark Room, Max mentions how angry she looks in the pictures, as if she knew what was being done to her. It's likely that she regained full consciousness and they killed her. It's also pretty fucked up to think that Nathan had drugged Chloe before, makes you wonder what would have happened to her if she hadn't hit him with that lamp :/

Also,
I wonder if the people who hated Chloe in Episode 2 actually went back on their words when she apologized in the most sincere way possible. She felt quite different in this episode, save for a few moments.

And
dat decision 1, I stood there 10 minutes, with Alt Chloe staring at me. If I could go right after watching Blade Runner with the person I love the most in the world, I probably take that chance, if I were in Chloe's place. What happened if you refused? How did Chloe react?

Top Bottom