• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

I've got a theory about
Chole's current condition after episode 3. Right before we jump into the alternate timeline, we witness a photo where alternate Chole gets her 1st car keys from her father. Is it possible that her injury in this alternate timeline is caused by her reckless driving in this alternate timeline?

Just my 2 cents.....

Persona7

Banned
I've got a theory about
Chole's current condition after episode 3. Right before we jump into the alternate timeline, we witness a photo where alternate Chole gets her 1st car keys from her father. Is it possible that her injury in this alternate timeline is caused by her reckless driving in this alternate timeline?

Just my 2 cents.....

I am pretty sure that was supposed to be implied?

I am pretty sure that was supposed to be implied?

Seems like it but its quite the leap.
Maybe if there was a pic of Chloe being a binge drinker/partier I'd get it. She drove a bucket just fine. How it happened doesn't seem very important if that's all we got to go off of.
I prefer to think of it as
inter-dimensional bad karma for stealing the money meant for the disability fund
lol

Maybe if there was a pic of Chloe being a binge drinker/partier I'd get it. She drove a bucket just fine. How it happened doesn't seem very important if that's all we got to go off of.
inter-dimensional bad karma for stealing the money meant for the disability fund
lol

But doesn't the same thing happen even
if you don't steal the money for the disability fund?

Chloe was
even more reckless in the new timeline because her dad never died in a car accident. I don't know how she could drive even more reckless, but she did.

danm999

But doesn't the same thing happen even
if you don't steal the money for the disability fund?

I though it was some sort of balancing for
preventing William's accident. The universe or whatever needs a Price to have a car crash.

Interested to see how Max will try and fix it. Do her powers still work after the big rewind? Theoretically, she rewound and erased the event that gave them to her from the timeline (Nathan shooting Chloe). Or do they follow her like her memories of the old timeline?

And does that mean she's theoretically erased an alternate version of herself, the one that lived the life where William never died?

Heavy.

Fireblend

Banned
I though it was some sort of balancing for
preventing William's accident. The universe or whatever needs a Price to have a car crash.

Interested to see how Max will try and fix it. Do her powers still work after the big rewind? Theoretically, she rewound and erased the event that gave them to her from the timeline (Nathan shooting Chloe). Or do they follow her like her memories of the old timeline?

And does that mean she's theoretically erased an alternate version of herself, the one that lived the life where William never died?

Heavy.
I don't think that's what gave her the powers, at most it triggered them. Her first vision of the lighthouse clearly happened before she witnessed that event. Either way, since she has awareness of the existence of all the undone events and alternate timelines (or at least those we have seen), I would assume she exists at least somewhat outside them and still has her powers.

I don't think there are any sales numbers for the console version but SteamSpy says that there are 305,454 ± 15,022 people on steam who own the game, this number also includes people who only own the first episode but it's still pretty good.

I thought that one was pretty funny.

Also cool to see some new faces here, from the sale I presume.

Yeah, it seems a fair bit have gotten the game from the sale (been following it periodically). As of right now the owners are at 392,947 ± 20,207. But as you said it is still only the first episode but the fact that the average is around 7 hours means (to me at least) that people are playing past the first episode.
Didn't catch it then on my 1st viewing of this ending. My bad :(

Don't feel bad, I completely missed the connection myself. EP 3 spoilers
But did you notice that Chloe's house is fully painted as opposed to being half-painted in the original timeline (I didn't) or that there is ramp/railing on her house too (I actually saw that and figured she was in a wheelchair seconds before it was shown)? I love the little things in this game.

EP 3 spoilers
But did you notice that Chloe's house is fully painted as opposed to being half-painted in the original timeline (I didn't) or that there is ramp/railing on her house too (I actually saw that and figured she was in a wheelchair seconds before it was shown)? I love the little things in this game.

The
fully painted house and the ramps were something I picked up on the second time I played through the episodes.

Damn, I've been playing through the episodes slowly during the last week or two, and episode 3 totally caught me off guard
with going back to past
. I've liked the game a lot so far and I'm really excited to see what's up with episodes 4 and 5. Should've waited a while to start playing, now the wait's going to suck :(

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
cool game so far, but fuck that flu comment in episode 2.

About the flu shot? Heh, I'd say Dontnod was accurate with the topic. If I were younger and got the flu right after a vaccination, I'd say fuck flu shots too heh. I know better now at least.

Nuke Soda

So, I was wondering. I'm sure this has been talked about before. I'm sorry, I came in late to this thread. But what if...

Chloe was actually happier in the ult. timeline. Like, yeah she's paralyzed from the waist down. But I mean, mentally, and spiritually, what if she was happier and better. If she was actually truly happy. That despite her physical problem, she has her family, and her friends.

Would you still want to return her to the old timeline? I mean, I get the knee jerk reaction would be yes. Because that's not the Chloe we know. And people obviously have come to love that Chloe (although some hate her lol). But I mean purely on a plot level, would you still rather return her back to the old timeline, where she seems miserable, and her life is spiraling out of control? Let's face it, if you weren't around, she would probably be dead. And I don't just mean with Nathan shooting her. I mean in general, she has a lot of insane stuff surrounding her, that I think would have killed her eventually.

I guess the point of this discussion might be moot because....

In the timeline above, they show fucked up shit happening in the world. So clearly it won't ever be a stable timeline.

I agree that things were bad in timeline A, but we don't know much about timeline B yet, what if street sharks are a thing? Could you live with that? Knowing that at any moment you could be gobbled up by the pavement?

;)

I was gonna wait till the all the episodes came out like I usually do for episodic release type games but Life Is Strange caught me slipping.

I don't like this feeling lol. I don't even watch my favourite shows as they air anymore. The down time kills me

Skux

Just played though episode 2, at the end
I saved Kate after quoting Matthew from the Bible.
. Really powerful scene and a culmination of your choices and how well you paid attention.

I thought I'd just wait for the whole lot to come out but now I'm hooked! It's like waiting for the next season of your favourite TV show.

Skux

Just finished episode 3. Not sure I liked how it ended.
I've watched enough of The Flash to know that I shouldn't be messing with timelines. I didn't want to keep William alive because I knew that everything would change, but the game forced me to. The jump in realities is just too large, and if it carries over into episode 4 it'll be like a whole new world and the previous episodes don't matter, and I hate that idea. I hope it's just a temporary lesson and Max gets the opportunity to change it back to how things were.

I never had to do a
bible verse and I still saved her.

Even though I saw it earlier in the game, I just had a hunch that it'd be
a verse from Matthew, because all I know is that that book is filled with a lot of positive and inspirational-type quotes.

nOoblet16

It's a good game but developers sometimes force you into choices that make no sense for example in episode 2
why does it matter to Chloe if Max takes up the phone call? She could take it while walking, tell Chloe Kate is troubled and have to take it etc...that's what people do. It felt like choice for the sake of it. Yes Chloe is clingy but it didn't make sense to have a choice put in there...especially when you can completely negate it by following a specific dialogue later on with each of these characters.

Similar for shooting Frank, like uh she wanted Max to shoot and KILL a person. Yes he had a knifr but he wasnt going to use it, Chloe accepts it herself that he just wants his money back and is not capable of killing someone. But she chastises Max for not shooting and bugs her about it even the next day...uh? What's worse is that even if you choose to shoot you realise that the gun's put of bullets so it barely changes anything.

Games like these and Walking Dead play it so safe with "choices that matter" and "consequences". It's very binary and outside of few situations it rarely ever leads to significant changes in story or outcomes...and even when it does it's still binary like I said. Say for example a character dies only to be replaced by someone else (and often this someone else would have died instead had you tried to save that other character).

SomTervo

Just finished episode 3. Not sure I liked how it ended.
I've watched enough of The Flash to know that I shouldn't be messing with timelines. I didn't want to keep William alive because I knew that everything would change, but the game forced me to. The jump in realities is just too large, and if it carries over into episode 4 it'll be like a whole new world and the previous episodes don't matter, and I hate that idea. I hope it's just a temporary lesson and Max gets the opportunity to change it back to how things were.

Even though I saw it earlier in the game, I just had a hunch that it'd be
a verse from Matthew, because all I know is that that book is filled with a lot of positive and inspirational-type quotes.

People reckon that it is just a temporary thing, because in the 'next time on' snippet you can see
Chloe as she was
in eps 1-3.

I thought that one was pretty funny.

Also cool to see some new faces here, from the sale I presume.

Quote in the right place, bub?

why does it matter to Chloe if Max takes up the phone call? She could take it while walking, tell Chloe Kate is troubled and have to take it etc...that's what people do. It felt like choice for the sake of it. Yes Chloe is clingy but it didn't make sense to have a choice put in there...especially when you can completely negate it by following a specific dialogue later on with each of these characters.

This choice bothered me the most. The other option doesn't even make sense. Why would you ignore a call from a suicidal friend, like ever? Chloe's response was also way out of line and something to be expected from a 5 year old. Love the game but this choice in particular really rubbed me the wrong way.

Montresor

Only bad thing I hate about this game is something that could also be thought of as a boon: the timing of the release of each episode!

2 months just seems such a long period of time! But then again, quality over quantity.

The release schedules for these episodic games is completely ridiculous. I went in for the first episodes of Borderlands, Game of Thrones, and Life Is Strange, but I am done with waiting for these games to get complete. What they should do is make the whole game and then release one episode every two weeks or every week. For now I'm waiting until all three of those games are complete before I get the season pass.

Fireblend

Banned
This choice bothered me the most. The other option doesn't even make sense. Why would you ignore a call from a suicidal friend, like ever? Chloe's response was also way out of line and something to be expected from a 5 year old. Love the game but this choice in particular really rubbed me the wrong way.

To be fair, I don't think Max ever suspected Kate was suicidal up to the point she saw her on the roof, or else she wouldn't have even left the dorm in the first place, and Chloe being needy and overbearing with Max is like one of her most prominent character traits.

To be fair, I don't think Max ever suspected Kate was suicidal up to the point she saw her on the roof, or else she wouldn't have even left the dorm in the first place, and Chloe being needy and overbearing with Max is like one of her most prominent character traits.

But she knew Kate was extremely upset, I mean she even stopped eating. I just feel like Max could have easily explained to Chloe why she needed to take that phone call. I understand Chloe being overbearing, but come on.

Gbraga

Finally started playing episode 2 last night, couldn't complete it in one go, but I'm looking forward to doing so tonight.

Victoria and Nathan want a piece of me? I say, COME AND HAVE A TASTE OF THE WORLD

Dana best girl.
sorry

I hope they get deeper into the Rachel plot as well, it's probably what interests me the most in the game so far. After getting burned on The Witcher 3 and questioning if I was the problem and if maybe I should just stay away from games for a while so I get interested in them anymore, I'm very glad to know that it isn't the case, and I'm enjoying it as much as I enjoyed episode 1 back when it came out.

The release date of the second and third episodes were unfortunate, and I didn't play them up until now for that reason, but I'm really really excited to know what is it about episode 3 that makes people go nuts, haha.

Gbraga

I want this to end already so I can play it.

It really doesn't feel that long, I didn't play it since it first came out, and I still remembered everything, it's pretty easy to keep up with. And pretty damn good.

My personal GOTY is Bloodborne and no game other than Persona 5 can claim its position, but I definitely agree with the GOTY material praise it has been getting, unless they really screw it up with the final two episodes, but I find that unlikely. It'll probably be on my top 5, at least.

SomTervo

Oop, you quoted the wrong person

Dana best girl.
sorry

EYsm1oF.gif

On the one hand, I really wish that EP3
Didn't end with such a drastic shift in history. I would have liked it better if everything seemed positive, but Kate couldn't be saved because Max wouldn't have cared enough about her. That seems like a more reasonable shift and one more difficult for Max to revert--Kate is dead, but Chloe is actually happy.

Shame that choice doesn't hold water for anyone who let Kate die in the first place.

I thought this episode has the best dialog, writing and voice acting, of all the episodes so far. The devs (or the translators) really got a handle on their scenarios. However, I'm not as enthralled by the ending. As much of a mind-fuck as it is, I think they may have gone a bit too far. We'll see when I start playing EP4 right now.

Wait, EP4 isn't out? It's not out for weeks?

7tiH8SN.jpg

Sober

Played episode 1, had to immediately buy the rest of the season. Just binged episodes 2 and 3 today, holy crap this game is amazing.

Gonna be reading all those spoiler bars over the next while. I kinda hope DONTNOD puts Telltale on watch.

M3z_

Played through episode 2 and 3 today.

Wow, I spent every fucking moment I could investing into Kate's story line as her bullying plot line is heart wrenching. Well before the end I could feel the suicide scenario coming and I literally made a decision at the beginning of Ep. 2 that my sole goal for my playthrough was to make sure Kate doesn't kill herself. She meant that much to me, she was all I cared about at that point.

I had no idea that the rubber would meet the road so quickly with that plot. I made every proper decision I think I could of possibly made to save her, but the final pass fail with the bible verse I missed, because it was the only thing I wasn't confident in. Having her die was such a shitty feeling, but I am so glad that they made saving her a challenge. What I always want out of games like this that use branching stories, is for them not to be blatant about the machinations of the story. I don't want to be hit over the head with clues about how to influence the story the way "I want". What I really want is a game that gives me some control, but no so much that I feel like the puppet master. Caring so much about the Kate character and having her die was a really powerful moment, and feeling like the stakes were real when I was making those decisions because the right decisions weren't blatantly hinted at really makes that situation have weight.

With all that said I actually really like the tone Kate's suicide has put on my story. I dunno what changes if she lives maybe it is just as good, but her suicide really gives texture to the story. Motivations and dialogue that result because of that event are really strong. I do really miss Kate though, I will never get to see her happy, and that's crushing. All the more credit to the developer's though for being able to make me feel that way.

As far as ep. 3 is concerned I totally expect Max to have an option to undo what she has done. Maybe I'm reading too much into the fact that they track whether you took the photo with Chloe and William in the past, but I suspect you will have the option to go back and remind her how much her father loved her and that he didn't abandon her with that photo. Who knows though, if they force you to stick with this new reality I would be surprised because it's a reality that you have no context for. For the story to move forward they can't spend a ton of time trying to ground you in a new reality where you are part of the vortex club, Chloe is disabled, William is alive, Kate???, etc. etc.

sheamus

lol

I don't know... she got a heavy foot.

johnny956

Just finished Episode 3.

Holy fuck.

This game.

Same just finished episode 3 tonight.
I loved how the ending to this episode wasn't this huge intense action sequence.

This game is the only game my wife will watch. She's going to make me play episode 3 cause she's out of town.

I cannot wait for episode 4

Top Bottom