• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII announced for 2013 [Up3: Famitsu Details]

Derrick01

Banned
Timed game is literally the worst possible decision to make in a game. Even if it's not constantly counting down and only reacting to...well everything you're doing.

LuuKyK

Wow, everything in this sounds amazing. It has a time mechanic like the one in Atelier then? And its also an action-rpg? What kind of awesome game will this be. Im beyond excited.

Zeal

Banned
Gothic setting...realtime combat...wait...

Please tell me Versus was not folded into this project and canceled.

You will die, Square.

yami4ct

Versus XIII released as XIII-4 and starring Lightning in some way.

Believe.

We haven't seem any of the battle system yet, but the mention of real time block and only one character makes me think it'll be an action oriented game. How do we know this isn't Versus? It seems just as likely as Versus ever actually getting released.

now hold on guys shenmue and majora's mask revolved around countdowns and time travel (well, MM did), so maybe this game will use that aspect to its advantage by having a focus on strong memorable side characters, well realized quests, and believable locaahahahhahahahahahhahahaha

Foffy

Banned
Wow, everything in this sounds amazing. It has a time mechanic like the one in Atelier then? And its also an action-rpg? What kind of awesome game will this be. Im beyond excited.

I don't mean to sound rude but I think this was the only post that expressed hype for the game here. :p

totowhoa

Banned
Forgive me if I don't exactly trust Square-Enix to pull off a difficult design decision like a countdown mechanic as well as Nintendo did out of hand.

Especially not THIS Square-Enix.

I don't think there's anything too difficult about the general idea, though it depends on what they decide to do with it.

I think the most important thing here is to effectively provide a sense of urgency without inducing stress, and given the natural pace of RPGS (rather slow), I don't see them implementing some sort of intense time constraint. We'll see though.

udivision

We haven't seem any of the battle system yet, but the mention of real time block and only one character makes me think it'll be an action oriented game. How do we know this isn't Versus? It seems just as likely as Versus ever actually getting released.

b-b-but picture! signed picture! of the dude! noctowl! i saw him

Verendus

Banned
Calling it now, this game is going to suck worse than FFXIII and FFXIII-2.

If FFXIII-2 was one step forward, then this will be ten steps backward, therefore it will have travelled back in time to become even shittier than FFXIII. An unforeseen circumstance of breaking the space time continuum.

Trust me. I'm an expert.

Vamphuntr

She's the only playable character in the game? I'm not sure I like that. I don't mind the countdown thingie as I like it a lot in the Dead Rising games. Still, I'm not really interested in this as I really don't like Lightning though.

Beth Cyra

As I said in the other thread. Day 1 and I hope it's good.

That said the whole thing was a wash. I don't hate Light, but I don't love her either and having only her and again leaving Fang on the sidelines does nothing but piss me off.

XIII/XIII-2 had amazing gameplay, and the art and designs already put it above XIII-2 when you combine the fact I won't have to deal with Serah.

Still for fuck sake SE, why make a big deal about this shit this early?

MechaX

Timed game is literally the worst possible decision to make in a game. Even if it's not constantly counting down and only reacting to...well everything you're doing.

Not unless Lightning gets an ocarina that lets her go back to prior days.

Roubjon

Sounds freaking awesome. Basically it sounds way more fun than the previous ones, which I had no problem with. I love not being picky about games.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
My basic reaction:

ibjUFwNrZ32b4G.gif

Waiting for PS Vita spinoff Moogle: Can I Really Save This Franchise?

Would buy in a heart beat!

Psi

This sounds like it could actually have potential for good gameplay mechanics. Unfortunately I have no confidence in Square Enix realizing that potential.

Toth

Still way too early to tell but it does sound very interesting. I think like the FF13-2 reveal, the jury is still going to be out until we see more gameplay.

I also see people freaking out that you can only play Lightning but it still sounds possible you can have AI teammates.

LuuKyK

I don't mean to sound rude but I think this was the only post that expressed hype for the game here. :p

And whats the problem? Should I not enjoy a game announcement because the other people in here are hating left and right? Doesn't sounds like something a reasonable person would do. I wouldn't do that for sure.

I'm hyped

Seems odd they revealed it this early though, they should have waited a while more and had a trailer, given the game is a big departure from the previous two it's hard to grasp exactly what it is with just snippets of info

RPGCrazied

I might pass on this. No party members at all, just you playing Lightning. Looks like it might not even be an RPG at all, but more like DMC or something.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So just wondering, remember the hints show a picture of Batman Returns, Solitaire, and the moon in Majora's Mask? What do they mean now? :p

Sounds interesting. It looks like they're trying to make something pretty cool here so I'm willing to give it a shot.

Love how your actions directly effect how time progresses. The whole day cycle for NPC/enemy AI is also pretty cool.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Calling it now, this game is going to suck worse than FFXIII and FFXIII-2.

If FFXIII-2 was one step forward, then this will be ten steps backward, therefore it will have travelled back in time to become even shittier than FFXIII. An unforeseen circumstance of breaking the space time continuum.

Trust me. I'm an expert.
Sounds like the same time logic that was present in ff13-2.

Toki767

So wait...this is a direct sequel to XIII-2 but it takes place hundreds of years after? They better tell us what happened after XIII-2 ended.

oh yeah, definitely. it's a great way for them to get away with reusing assets, rather than rebuilding mostly new content for a new numbered game. i don't think it was their initial plan though, but a culmination of various factors and considerations during development. Stuff like dev costs as you said, and the frequency of their mainline software output.

lol, better safe than sorry.

the game takes place in a completely different setting isn't it? what asset are they reusing? even Lightning character model will probably be new.

edit: most likely monsters and enemies I guess, but you can have a completely new final fantasy and still reuse monster designs.

yami4ct

Ever since this game was announced, I've felt this is what is happening to Versus. If true, that's real sad for me. The real life-esque world was one of the only interesting parts of Versus. Setting it in the XIII universe will likely ruin that part.

As for the time mechanic, I'll wait and see now it's handled. If punishment for it running out is minor, its countdown really slow or there's a way to refill it, it's not a huge deal.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Now that I think about it, the previous poster was right; it does kind of remind me of Dragon Quarter or VP.

Well, we just need to see battle footage, then. I'm not enthralled still. And they just started development in August? Heh.

When is kayos going to change his avatar?

LuuKyK

So just wondering, remember the hints show a picture of Batman Returns, Solitaire, and the moon in Majora's Mask? What do they mean now? :p

Batman Returns = Lightning Returns.

Solitaire = Alone. Just Lightning.

Majora's Mask = the ending time thing.

totowhoa

Banned
I hope that the in-battle gameplay changes based upon the time of day. Either in a minor way akin to the SMT series (the lunar cycles), or, for one reason or another, the user's approach to battles must change depending on whether it's night or day. Some things are more effective at night or in the afternoon, enemy encounters change, different buffs (physical attack hits less at night, while magic is somehow stronger), etc. This would allow for multiple builds and customization for Lightning depending on both the environment and time.

Top Bottom