• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII announced for 2013 [Up3: Famitsu Details]

Kitase has a cube too, I guess they don't have much room there. I think they were supposed to change their building again?, maybe these are old now.

squareenixtour19.jpg

There is a Windows XP and outdated game designs/ mechanics joke here.

xion4360

But will the Osaka whore be there!?!?! This is important.

Something tells me everything's been in a 13 day loop since chaos entered in 500AF, anyone around then will probably be returning, completely unaware of the loop. Like how light and Caius were in valhalla fighting in repeat without knowing it.

Thoraxes

Hope was really improved as a character in XIII-2, if only Lightning became more likeable too.

If the game ends with the line "Best Birthday Ever" I will send SE $2k of cupcakes and hug every staff member.

Something tells me everything's been in a 13 day loop since chaos entered in 500AF, anyone around then will probably be returning, completely unaware of the loop. Like how light and Caius were in valhalla fighting in repeat without knowing it.
I'm really interested in the no-aging thing. Can't wait to see all the ramifications from XIII-2. Hell, even the outcome of Snow and Hope at the end of the game was great, and to even get to see that followed up would be cool.

What's weird conceptually is a time loop though. It's like they'd be looping a certain amount of time... for a certain amount of time. Like 2 dimensions of time within time to measure time. It'll be interesting fo sho

Ganondorfo

3 final fantasy main games about the same character. Remember the days when every final fantasy could stand on its own and every final fantasy game had its own universe.

Ok they also made final fantasy x-2, point taken.

StuBurns

Banned
3 final fantasy main games about the same character. Remember the days when every final fantasy could stand on its own and every final fantasy game had its own universe.

Lightning is a character in XIII-2, and a catalyst in the story, but to say it's about her is disingenuous. It's about Noel.

Thoraxes

Don't forget all the spinoffs from IV, VII, and XII.

Ganondorfo

Don't forget all the spinoffs from IV, VII, and XII.

Yes but they didnt belong to the main series, just like final fantasy tactics doesnt belong to the main series.

You are talking about dirge of cerberus, final fantasy 4 the after years, final fantasy crisis core. They are spin offs. But final fantasy xiii-2 and lightning returns are part of the big main franchise.

Ganondorfo

Lightning is a character in XIII-2, and a catalyst in the story, but to say it's about her is disingenuous. It's about Noel.

Yeah but it's still in the same universum. Final fantasy used to be about creating a whole new universum with new characters without anything related to the final fantasy before (besides gilgamesh, summons, and some enemies like marlboro and name of the weapons).

But the universum, the towns, the characters, the villains were all unique to that final fantasy game (1-10).

Beth Cyra

Yes but they didnt belong to the main series, just like final fantasy tactics doesnt belong to the main series.

You are talking about dirge of cerberus, final fantasy 4 the after years, final fantasy crisis core. They are spin offs. But final fantasy xiii-2 and lightning returns are part of the big main franchise.

LR is no more or less a main game then Dirge/Crisis Core/Before Crisis. It has a new main name and the FF is actually the subtitle just as all those were.

Thoraxes

Well Serah
may not be marrying Snow
now so there's nothing to ruin her important Birthday.
Well, end result of the game pending, Snow did say that they could be together (Late XIII-2 spoilers)
after he finds and brings back Lightning, iirc. Obviously the Schrodinger's Cat that is Serah has to, you know, be resolved. Also given the many endings of XIII-2, i'm assuming that the Snow and Hope assassination ending will come into play, and well, since we know Lightning is in contact with Hope, and Hope and Snow were together at the end of XIII-2, I would surmise that that is a plot point that will have to be revealed somewhere in the game.

Half of it though is knowing where all the timelines stand after being fixed too.
We don't really know what is 100% set in stone at this point, which I actually think is kinda cool.

I see what you're saying, but I disagree (with your original point) only because I think it's neat that they're trying to do more work with expanded universes. FNC was a very interesting experiment for them, IMO, especially because they've not done many direct franchise sequels, though fans always clamor for them. Hell, with the storyline in FF XIV, "A Realm Reborn" is practically going to be XIV-2.

Whether or not they were successful is in the eye of the beholder, but I do think that trying this business strategy in regards to their plans for franchises was interesting, if nothing else.

Kitase has a cube too, I guess they don't have much room there. I think they were supposed to change their building again?, maybe these are old now.

squareenixtour19.jpg

Poor Kitase. :{

They probably made him move out of his office once The Gooch was fired honorably 'resigned' and Lord Wada pimp-walked into the building.
They have Yuji Horii in the 'penthouse' with all of his Dragon Quest geisha-girls feeding him grapes and Ito in the janitor closet, brooms constantly getting knocked over on him every time Nomura skips down the hallway.

It's kinda bizarre that they are continuing XIII games as XIII-2 was commercially pretty big flop compared to past Final Fantasy games. Still it probably made some profit so maybe they want to recycle assets once more and are hoping to achieve similar sales although I see that this just damages the brand. Still I kinda liked XIII-2 so at least I am buying this.

StuBurns

Banned
We won't know until it happens, but I really don't believe any of this stuff hurts the brand. XIII's mixed reaction, XIII-2's weaker sales, XIV's complete fuck up.

When FFXV comes, none of that is going to matter at all.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
We won't know until it happens, but I really don't believe any of this stuff hurts the brand. XIII's mixed reaction, XIII-2's weaker sales, XIV's complete fuck up.

When FFXV comes, none of that is going to matter at all.

We'll see. Casual perception of the series hasn't been helped at all by an entire generation of nothing but FFXIII on consoles. I imagine the current stigma will effect Versus XIII in a way as well.

CorvoSol

NO GOD WHY NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

He's SO sincere. UGH UGH AND SO PRETENTIOUS. NO YOU STUPID FAT UGH NO DEPTH TO THE UGH.

CREEPER UGH.

I can't.

I can't.

I can take everything Linkman posts in the "Awesome" Fan Art thread, but I can't do this.

Hahaha Crystals epitomize eternity but the ones in FFXIII-2 couldn't even last 500 years ahahaha I hate this man.

EDIT: Watching the art director is so much better. The art for the XIII games has been colorful and interesting across the board, and his presentation has me genuinely wanting to play the game. Watching Toriyama's presentation makes me fear for Lightning's safety at night.

EDIT2: Except the painting at the end. Don't tell me about it and not show me anything. Your company is bad enough about showing anything anyway. That's so Square.

hteng

Banned

CorvoSol

I told you , I told you about Toriyama.

At least you can't say he's not passionate about his "work", I have to give him credit.

I wasn't ready for that. I just need to know if this is worse than the creepy love people say Sakamoto has for Samus. Like, only he knows where her birthmark is creepy.

Dunan

I'm surprised they have their own cubes; at most Japanese companies (mine included) people are lined up at long cafeteria-style desks with or without partitions between each person. You'd think SE would want people being able to see what other people are working on.

Edit: Didn't see hteng's post. That office style, at From Software in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfs6kG14Xss , is the one I'm talking about. I don't like this style and would prefer a little privacy -- being, say, a translator in that environment is torture. People talking, phones ringing, and other office sounds can be really distracting, plus when doing brain-intensive work like translating, you sometimes need to stare off into space and collect your thoughts so as to find just the right word or phrase, and this is hard to do when you're in view of lots of people.

People didn't find Lightning likeable during FFXIII-2? I'm surprised
Her narrative was pretty vague but it was pretty much all heartfelt and generally friendly, it's hard to grow attached as we don't get to play as her outside of the beginning, but there's nothing unlikeable about her, and I thought her character developed pretty well during the first game as well

Esura

Banned
I wasn't ready for that. I just need to know if this is worse than the creepy love people say Sakamoto has for Samus. Like, only he knows where her birthmark is creepy.

Toriyama/Lightning vs Sakamoto/Samus

FFXIII x Metroid crossover needed

And of course hes the only one who knows where her birthmark is. Like 90% of the time she is in a full body Power Suit. Now let her make a cameo in DoA5.

Beth Cyra

People didn't find Lightning likeable during FFXIII-2? I'm surprised
Her narrative was pretty vague but it was pretty much all heartfelt and generally friendly, it's hard to grow attached as we don't get to play as her outside of the beginning, but there's nothing unlikeable about her, and I thought her character developed pretty well during the first game as well

I actually liked Lightning enough in XIII and she was decent in XIII-2. My problem is I've had enough, that and she was fucking awful in Dissidia 012.

I just don't want any more of this character and while there are certainly worse FF characters there is almost always a gap even if they end up super popular (Cloud, Squall, Sephiroth and the like) so it's not over and over again every damn year.

Lastly they didn't plaster Cloud all over Dirge of Cerberus box and marketing material as if he was a major character only to have the game ship and we only see him for 45 seconds.

Toth

I seem to remember XIII-2 being 30% complete around announcement, and then 70% complete 6 months later around E3.

Nice job on the interview Kagari. The game sounds better and ever. I am so thrilled we will actually see the mythology teased in the past games came to fruition. We may yet see just what Bhunivelze is...

As for people being immortal..that sounds disturbing. How can children be born? Did our heroes actually live hundreds of years without aging??? Sounds like a scary fate.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I actually liked Lightning enough in XIII and she was decent in XIII-2. My problem is I've had enough, that and she was fucking awful in Dissidia 012.

I just don't want any more of this character and while there are certainly worse FF characters there is almost always a gap even if they end up super popular (Cloud, Squall, Sephiroth and the like) so it's not over and over again every damn year.

Lastly they didn't plaster Cloud all over Dirge of Cerberus box and marketing material as if he was a major character only to have the game ship and we only see him for 45 seconds.

So many people would have been upset if that had been the case...

I read a transcript of the interview in Famitsu. I really like the direction they're going with the game.

They mention that the customization system in LR is actually a result of breaking down the basic concept of the Dress Spheres in FFX-2. Instead of having fixed jobs and costumes which players change between, what they want in LR is to allow the players to create their own jobs by putting together different equipment which into sets which then form Styles. Players can preset different Styles and change between them this way, but there is also much more freedom is customization.

Another element is the battles. For boss battles and tougher enemy types, they are planning to design them such that they feel like intense 1 on 1 battles, where Lightning takes the enemy down piece by piece, with multiple destructible body parts on the foe.

Sounds pretty good!
Don't do this, man. Don't you dare get me hyped for this.

Top Bottom