• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Like a Dragon: Ishin |OT| Bath Kyodais

cormack12

Gold Member
sobINGv.jpg

HVaMPYI.png

KSPZq8L.jpg

iakVZfW.png

61Jdx1c.jpg

EKRRrCm.png

lOnsD1R.jpg

0r7n2Cw.jpg

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Binge played the whole series during this last 2 years, so I'm very excited to play this. Spacially since this one seems to play very similar to 0 and 5 which are my favorites.

That said, Denuvo + Unreal Engine + Japanese devs... I'm worried that the PC version might be fucked at release.

TrueLegend

Finally a game which appreciates me petting cats.

PS: The first sensible PC requirements I have ever seen.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: TLZ

TrebleShot

Binge played the whole series during this last 2 years, so I'm very excited to play this. Spacially since this one seems to play very similar to 0 and 5 which are my favorites.

That said, Denuvo + Unreal Engine + Japanese devs... I'm worried that the PC version might be fucked at release.
Wheres the best place to start? I tried recently with Judgement and kind of bounced off of it.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Wheres the best place to start? I tried recently with Judgement and kind of bounced off of it.
The Yakuza series? 0, no doubt. You can keep playing the games in chronological order after that.

Judgment is pretty cool tho, if you didn't enjoy that one I don't know if you'll like the Yakuza games.

phant0m

Imported this on PS4 and played through it using the translation guide, probably my favorite Yakuza game after 0.

Excited to dive in again since that was *checks watch*…. 9 fucking years ago. Got damn!

Orbital2060

This is awesome but Im gonna have to wait until Ive got time to play it. Busy with Persona games and then Wo Long in a few weeks.

Seriously awesome that it got a western release.

• Strength
Reactions: Isa
I loved 0 but haven't been able to get into a Yakuza since. Tried Kiwami 1-2, Judgment, Like a Dragon. They all just took too long to get going, whereas with 0 I remember the intrigue and plot twists started right away

cormack12

Gold Member
thank you OP for the awesome OT

please consider this for a catchy OT title

ishin with me , baby!
story of seasons with ishin
ishin does everything
ishin has a big cock ( see video below , near the end )
https://yakuza.fandom.com/wiki/Nugget#:~:text=Involvement-,Yakuza 0,Real Estate Royale mini-game.

Only just getting back after work, looks like someone must have reported and a mod added one of the others. I don't think we can edit titles once we've posted - or we didn't used to able to.

cormack12

Gold Member
Anyone get the deluxe editions for impressions? The locale really piques my interest but not sure I'd like it

anthony2690

Banned
Looking forward to this, my missus preordered this for me for valentine's day :)

That being said, now I'm decorating the flat, gaming has been put on hold a few days, can't wait to play more Hogwarts legacy and then jump into wild hearts and this in the future 😁

Last edited:

Labadal

Imma have to wait for my physical edition to come in the mail. Will probably get here a few days after release.

gela94

The performance is a bit weird, I get stuttering and slowdowns randomly, on pc with RTX3070. Seems there is some censoring going on *Bathfight*
I really hate that they still keep that stupid ring noise with the dialog boxex and there is also some slow button appearing to continue the dialog, like yes I want to go to the next box!!!
But the game itself, I like it so far.

TintoConCasera

The performance is a bit weird, I get stuttering and slowdowns randomly, on pc with RTX3070. Seems there is some censoring going on *Bathfight*
I really hate that they still keep that stupid ring noise with the dialog boxex and there is also some slow button appearing to continue the dialog, like yes I want to go to the next box!!!
But the game itself, I like it so far.
Try adding -d3d11 to the game's launch options on Steam. I did so with the demo and it ran better for sure.

0 for sure, the remasters have been great. I like yakuza but played judgement demo and didnt like it either.

Ishin has been fun, about an hour in and its yakuza but with swords and guns! My biggest complaint though is the camera, both in and out of combat its impossible to get it to stay behind the character

xrnzaaas

I don't know if I should be surprised by this, but the game feels more budget than recent Yakuza/Judgment games. There's a lot of text without dubbing and most of all quite a lot of low quality textures and object models (like the loot containers or the dogs/cats up close). I don't think it's just the effect of learning UE after abandoning their own engine.

Thankfully the story seems very interesting, the fighting styles are cool (even though Wild Dancer feels op) the and I've enjoyed all of the "returns" so far (I'm at the beginning of chapter 4).

Last edited:
If I had to nitpick, I'd complain about:
-lack of player/npc shadows in some areas
-textures that pop in when the camera cuts to another angle (at least in 4k on XSX)
-camera control can be a bit janky

I'm not sure how much of that can be attributed to the original being a PS3 game, but I find these things particularly jarring since they weren't issues I had with LaD7 or any of the Judgement games but it's still enjoyable so far and most of the time looks pretty damn great due to good art choices.

Majormaxxx

Did you play Dead Souls and the Fist of the North Star / Judgement?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Sadly it seems they censored the bath fight, there is now so much steam that you can't see anything.

Why?!

It's such a weird fucking decision, and iconic thanks to all the gifs

EJ9cl2A.gif

I will admit I'm taking a break from the game, I find it more draining to play than the other Yakuza titles, especially once I found out crafting required not only components and large quantities of money, but also arbitrary blacksmith levels that appear incredibly slow to increase.

Essentially I can't craft a better gun unless I use all my cash crafting worse weapons over and over to level up the blacksmith to craft the only upgrade available for my character.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

Majormaxxx

Damn, wish I had a PS3. Have you played it? How is it? Gameplay always seemed kinda jank to me, like a proto Binary Domain or something.
I have it but haven't played it in a few years. Gameplay and technical performance is worse than Binary Domain. Story is worse too (Binary Domain had a pretty cool story). But I think it is a fun time nonetheless. I think you nailed it - proto Binary Domain. Good call.

Last edited:

Moriah20

Hopefully they dont use UE for Judgment 3/Yakuza 8.

We already know that Gaiden and Y8 will be dragon engine at least.

My theory:

RGGS simply went with unreal because they didn't have the time/budget for a full on remake. Kiwami 1 and 2 happened because they could recycle assets from Y0 / Y5 (for K1) and Y6 (for K2). For a historical samurai game they would've had to create brand new dragon engine assets, which they were never gonna do.

Unreal is very flexible and they just imported all their original code into the unreal sandbox and it was a quick, intuitive way to update/upscale assets, switch out character models, etc. This probably would've been a lot more cumbersome in the dragon engine.

So all in all I expect them to continue using dragon engine for the "new" games for a while still at least, while re-releases (maybe kenzan and dead souls?) will go the unreal route.

Isa

I have it but haven't played it in a few years. Gameplay and technical performance is worse than Binary Domain. Story is worse too (Binary Domain had a pretty cool story). But I think it is a fun time nonetheless. I think you nailed it - proto Binary Domain. Good call.

Damn I miss that channel! Good review too, fun should be paramount as a factor, and when a game is fun enough it could elevate it above other detractors such as janky controls, bugs etc. I played the demo for Dead Souls years ago and the manual aiming was so different for me it was a quick pass but I regretted not giving it a proper chance. For many years I'd see it at bargain prices at Gamestop but never picked it up, may have to snag a copy online lol.

Nice OT, OP! I could've started it already but I've tried to better at prioritizing certain games for completion but it is really tempting to start this up. Can't wait to dive in!

TintoConCasera

Anybody playing on PC? How's that performance? Any improvements since the demo?

RNG

Anybody playing on PC? How's that performance? Any improvements since the demo?
If you can run Yakuza 0 then you'll have no problems running this one. There's stuttering every time you do a heat move but only for the first time. If you switch to DX11 in the launch parameter you still get some micro stuttering when traversing the city while sprinting.

Skifi28

After Lost Judgment, this has the best combat in any Yakuza game. It would have been top, but being an older game the controls feel a little clunkier/ less responsive than the modern iterations.

Last edited:

TwinB242

The digital deluxe bonuses are ridiculous and I actually regret buying them as that stuff seems like its going to completely kill the balance, at least early on. You get numerous upgrade points for the skill trees and a Katana with over 600 power (for comparison the starting Katana only has 80).

TintoConCasera

Started this one yesterday. I'm having a blast, combat has clicked with me much better than in the demo, and the game is the usual Yakuza fare of kino story cutscenes and crazy sidequests.

Only downsides so far are the cutscenes which are capped at 30fps, and the Unreal Engine looks like shit at times.

Still, very happy with my purchase so far. It's been 45€ and I can see myself enjoying this game for a while.

TintoConCasera

Loving the battle music. Well, all the music honestly, loving the mix of modern themes and Tokugawa's Japanese themes.

Just reached chapter 2. No substories indicator on map?
Nope, you have to walk around and find them yourself.

Top Bottom