• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Like for like, games cost more on PS5 than XSX?!

RoboFu

One of the green rats
If it’s an increase across the board that usually means there is some licensing fee everyone is making up for.

GHG

Prices look to be the same for 3rd party games where I am.

As long as this bullshittery doesn't extend to PC then I couldn't give a shit.

The likes of Ubisoft and EA increasing their prices is a piss take considering they are only increasing the amount of microtransactions/dlc with every annual release.

pawel86ck

Banned
Same here. I got my money ready for PS5 and I even expected way higher price for the console itself. But If we don't get regional pricing I am out. 350 PLN is way too much. 260 was already a lot for me... I mean Polish market for PS5 might just... end. It is weird because they put a lot of effort to localize games in Poland. But I can't imagin casual parents would buy PS5 for their kids and dish out 350 PLN for games. This decision is retarded because the only reason PS is popular in our country is thanks to PS1 illegal copies. My parents could affort to buy me a few games from illegal sources for 20PLN and now I am PlayStation-guy. Russian market is the same - they got way lower prices because if they would be higher they would not sell a lot of consoles.

Also I can't imagine to buy a game for my casual wife that plays mostly few hours in single title and (in the near future) kids.

This single pricing decision killed PS5 for me for now. 80 euro is impossible in Poland. Many parnets and casuals will just go xBox and gamepass. I even takled to my hardcore gamers friends and after seeing the price all of them stoped even thinking about PS5. Sad.

I am also thinking that Sony is milking players as much as they can - they know that those 10 milions consoles will sold out like hot cakes and people will be hyped to play next-gen games so they are pushing prices sky-high and might lower the price later but for many people it will be too late. My two friends was planing to buy PS5 for their kids on christmas but after seeing game prices they will go xbox with game-pass and won't buy another console in a few years. I think this is a big fuck-up for Sony, most of "third-world-europe" will just go for xbox.
I'm sure people living in USA or Germany will be still fine with 70$/euro price point, but there are countries where people have 4-5x worse salaries but you still have to pay the same amount of money for games as people living in USA. On top of that $ exchange and various UE taxes makes that 70$ equivalent to nearly 90$ in Poland. I think if people will buy PS5 in Poland, most of them will only buy single 90$ game and sell it immediately before buying another, because no sane person (including PS diehard fans) in Poland will spend 20% of their salary on a single game and keep it.

Last edited:

TheGejsza

I'm sure people living in USA or Germany will be still fine with 70$/euro price point, but there are countries where people have 4-5x worse salaries but you still have to pay the same amount of money for games as people living in USA. On top of that $ echange and various UE taxes makes that 70$ equivalent to nearly 90$ in Poland. I think if people will buy PS5 in Poland, most of them will only buy single 90$ game and sell it immediately before buying another, because no sane person (including PS diehard fans) in Poland will spend 20% of their salary on a single game.

Totally. I am die-hard PlayStation fan and their games and not in some kind of bad or uncertain financial situation but I just won't pay so much for the games. It's like some kind of psychological barier... Maybe official PlayStation Poland channels can say something about those prices.

Top Bottom