• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lil Kim's New Bleached Hair and Light Skin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont know whats going on but I'll say this

White skin doesnt make a person attractive, its facial features.

An example, aisha tyler is an attractive woman. Most people would view her as such. She'd be viewed above average no matter where in the world.

sphagnum

Banned
I dont know whats going on but I'll say this

White skin doesnt make a person attractive, its facial features.

An example, aisha tyler is an attractive woman. Most people would view her as such. She'd be viewed above average no matter where in the world.

That would be dependent on cultural forces to some degree. If everyone intrinsically viewed slimmer facial features as naturally attractive, all human cultures would have evolved to have them.

Threads like this make me angry that there is no official indication why someone got banned, and/or for what post, and whether it was a permaban or not. Did the few people in this thread get banned for the opinions they were expressing, or a specific post that attacked another poster? After over a dozen posts in a thread like this there is no actual indication was a valid opinion post as to what was over the line and what was not.

In fact, the two people in the first few pages who ended up banned had somewhat different takes on the situation. What happened? Why do I have to guess?

If I look at their posts separately in a vaccum I cant even make an uninformed guesses as to what was the specific catalyst was, and I absolutely cannot conclude a consistent, easily followable ruleset to follow to avoid getting banned myself.

Besides, that is, "Either agree with the opinions of the moderators who happen to come across the thread, or disagree with them in a weak and milquetoast enough way enough way that you don't inflame their emotions."

There's your problem

I dont know, why can't she look however she wants to? Maybe this is how she feels she wants to look. Maybe she could have wanted to look Asian. Or Persian. Or Latino. We've got so much technology to change someone from what they were born with that I don't think anyone would bat an eye at any expression of self like this in 50 years.

It doesn't have to be a diagnosis. Maybe it's just who she is. I just hope she's happy.

Lime

Just educate and talk to them. ANd show them there is some, not a lot, but some repsentation out there.

myz5w4mawh7gzvclhico.jpg

Great book

Unfortunately no, but one can teach their children to take pride in their skin and culture and that they don't need to be white to be beautiful.

Doubtful. The best you could do is to have your positive reinforcement as a parent trump anything they hear from the outside world. Someone, somewhere will break them down. It might even be a close family member that they care about. They might not even mean it or understand why they did it.

Thanks!

TheOGB

Banned
Threads like this make me angry that there is no official indication why someone got banned, and/or for what post, and whether it was a permaban or not. Did the few people in this thread get banned for the opinions they were expressing, or a specific post that attacked another poster? After over a dozen posts in a thread like this there is no actual indication was a valid opinion post as to what was over the line and what was not.

In fact, the two people in the first few pages who ended up banned had somewhat different takes on the situation. What happened? Why do I have to guess?

If I look at their posts separately in a vaccum I cant even make an uninformed guesses as to what was the specific catalyst was, and I absolutely cannot conclude a consistent, easily followable ruleset to follow to avoid getting banned myself.

Besides, that is, "Either agree with the opinions of the moderators who happen to come across the thread, or disagree with them in a weak and milquetoast enough way enough way that you don't inflame their emotions."
It's less about "valid opinions," and more about devil's advocacy and running with poorly thought out and harmful comparisons, despite several people pointing out that said comparisons are poorly thought out and harmful.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain what "feeling white" is, btw

sphagnum

Banned
I dont know, why can't she look however she wants to? Maybe this is how she feels she wants to look. Maybe she could have wanted to look Asian. Or Persian. Or Latino. We've got so much technology to change someone from what they were born with that I don't think anyone would bat an eye at any expression of self like this in 50 years.

It doesn't have to be a diagnosis. Maybe it's just who she is. I just hope she's happy.

She can. But people are saddened by why she wants to feel that way.

See, for trans* people, they aren't changing their bodies because they want to be more socially accepted. Far from it. For damn near all trans* people they would be more likely to be accepted to just go with the flow. They're changing their bodies or looks (and it's not like every trans* person actually does physically undergo operation) because they literally do not feel like they belong in the correct body. There are real physical differences between male and female bodies, even if gender itself is largely tied to social constructs.

What's happening here isn't that Lil Kim thinks she is a white person (whatever that means) but that she has historically felt abused for not being as "pretty" as white people and is trying to change herself to fit with social expectations.

One is about becoming who you really are. One is about denying who you are at all.

Clinton514

Sad shit and to hell with anyone who thinks this is alright.

Yes she probably needed psychological help but this is just uhh..

I understand the racial issues and implications this raises, but on the other hand she's an adult and it's her body. She doesn't need to justify or explain herself to anybody.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
feels obvious to me that the beauty industry perpetuates this idea of white glamour.

I read a really interesting interview between the make up artist Kevyn Aucoin and Mary J Blige. Usually the African American artists he worked with asked him to lighten their skin tone for photo shoots. Instead with Mary he made her darker. She was emotionally overwhelmed and broke down, realising how she'd internalised that perception that darker skin is less attractive than lighter skin.

Think it's a real question about what beauty standards we impress upon young African American girls and how "lightness" is viewed in culture. Mainly because this idea that black is somehow less than is pretty damn toxic.

Think it's got fuck all to do with trans folk (of which I am one).

That Gabrielle Union picture had me worried but her Instagram tells a different story, which is just some make-up, lighting and facial expression fuckery. She's still her beautiful self.

Sunster

Colorist structures that push people to alter their appearance to conform to arbitrary beauty standards (European or otherwise) are lame and should be shamed. Lil Kim should not.

void666

Banned
This is sad. It's not like she just dyed her hair. She is destroying her face.
She looked fine before. Low self esteem and lots of money don't go well together.

It always bothered me how most black female celebrities, singers mostly, soon start to look whiter. They get straight, sometimes blonde hair, and their skin looks lighter and lighter. To each their own i guess. And i know why it happens.

Are there any black female singers that don't follow this trend?

Future

feels obvious to me that the beauty industry perpetuates this idea of white glamour.

I read a really interesting interview between the make up artist Kevyn Aucoin and Mary J Blige. Usually the African American artists he worked with asked him to lighten their skin tone for photo shoots. Instead with Mary he made her darker. She was emotionally overwhelmed and broke down, realising how she'd internalised that perception that darker skin is less attractive than lighter skin.

Think it's a real question about what beauty standards we impress upon young African American girls and how "lightness" is viewed in culture. Mainly because this idea that black is somehow less than is pretty damn toxic.

Think it's got fuck all to do with trans folk (of which I am one).

Is it really about that in this case though. It looks to me like she is playing dress up with millions of dollars and the ability to change shit permanently. Like dying your hair purple or some shit. Combine that with mental instability and you get irreversible changes like this

Unless there is some evidence that she's actually ashamed of her black self. Considering how she has been screwing with her appearance for years I'd imagine this is just the latest extreme version of that

Markoman

Errrr, Mutant Horror show. I blame Beyonce...

The funny thing about this is the fact that there is no true beauty ideal.
Blonde guys will look for Latinas, Asian and African girls.
Italian and Arabic guys loose their shit over blonde girls.
And so on...

You can't do right neither as a woman nor a man.

This is sad. It's not like she just dyed her hair. She is destroying her face.
She looked fine before. Low self esteem and lots of money don't go well together.

It always bothered me how most black female celebrities, singers mostly, soon start to look whiter. They get straight, sometimes blonde hair, and their skin looks lighter and lighter. To each their own i guess. And i know why it happens.

Are there any black female singers that don't follow this trend?

Kelly Rowland and the world thanks her for it cause she is gorgeous.

Tecnniqe

Banned
People need to stop judging and let them do whatever the fuck they want with their own body.

I never quite understand the hate, who cares as long as she herself is happy?

Mesousa

Banned
People need to stop judging and let them do whatever the fuck they want with their own body.

Because people who don't have positive influences in their own life often look at public figures to validate parts of themselves that they are self conscious about.

If I feel I am ugly and useless for being my complexion, I have nobody in my dirt life worth anything that is my complexion, I can look towards a lil kim or someone else and receive value through them.

Its an unfair standard to hold celebs to. Lil Kim isn't there to make you feel better about yourself. She is there to make music, and you have to leave it at that. A lot of people had to learn that the hard way with Michael Jackson.

Its like John goodman losing a lot of weight, and fat people showing up to complain about how disappointed they are and how he was fine before.

Daft Punk

Banned
This makes me sad. Have we lost our sense of self and pride that in order to maintain and adhere to this society, we have to bleach our beautiful black skin to do so? :(

Tecnniqe

Banned
Because people who don't have positive influences in their own life often look at public figures to validate parts of themselves that they are self conscious about.

If I feel I am ugly and useless for being my complexion, I have nobody in my dirt life worth anything that is my complexion, I can look towards a lil kim or someone else and receive value through them.

Its an unfair standard to hold celebs to. Lil Kim isn't there to make you feel better about yourself. She is there to make music, and you have to leave it at that. A lot of people had to learn that the hard way with Michael Jackson.

Its like John goodman losing a lot of weight, and fat people showing up to complain about how disappointed they are and how he was fine before.

While true that's other peoples problems and she should not be harassed because of it.

I see the point, but in the end they can do whatever they want and should not have to defend themselves for something like this.

Pau

You can comment without judging. But a lot of plastic surgery is done to conform to insidious beauty standards. As a woman who has gotten plastic surgery for similar reasons, I'm certainly not hating. But fuck if it isn't depressing as hell.

Seriously fuck white beauty standards. We should create an environment where women don't feel the need to surgically alter themselves to look more European.

That's a shame that she thinks she needs to change her appearance to be beautiful. Kim was a fucking knockout before.

Pretty messed up that her image of herself was shaped so much by...I can't even find the word for it in my head. I want to say straight up racist societal beauty standards.

Well you change because you are not happy, so wouldn't this make her more close to happy?

No.

The problem here is low self-esteem. She will continue to find "issues" with how she looks, that she will attempt to "fix" with surgery. After each and every surgery she will find something new that's "wrong" and the cycle will begin again.

Cosmetic surgery is a superficial change that will bring only temporary relief, but she will never be happy.

Mesousa

Banned
That's a shame that she thinks she needs to change her appearance to be beautiful. Kim was a fucking knockout before.

Pretty messed up that her image of herself was shaped so much by...I can't even find the word for it in my head. I want to say straight up racist societal beauty standards.

Was it racist society that had tupac rapping about snatching her "Ugly ass off the streets", and this was the same guy who did the blacker the berry the sweeter the juice song. I don't think her skin color was ever the issue with her looks

She wasn't even that dark before looking at her.

Tecnniqe

Banned
It's a reflection of our fucked up racist society.
Ok
You can comment without judging. But a lot of plastic surgery is done to conform to insidious beauty standards. As a woman who has gotten plastic surgery for similar reasons, I'm certainly not hating. But fuck if it isn't depressing as hell.

Seriously fuck white beauty standards. We should create an environment where women don't feel the need to surgically alter themselves to look more European.

Nobody should feel forced to change who they are, this is true.
Our society have become more about looks (biggest this and biggest that + most of this and most of that) over actual personality.

Personally i prefer people for who they are, of course if they are unhappy with a few things i wouldn't mind if they wanted it changed but i'd rather they not change everything. If they did i still wouldn't justify all the hate, be it famous or not. Some of these comments are very harsh.
No.

The problem here is low self-esteem. She will continue to find "issues" with how she looks, that she will attempt to "fix" with surgery. After each and every surgery she will find something new that's "wrong" and the cycle will begin again.

Cosmetic surgery is a superficial change that will bring only temporary relief, but she will never be happy.

I've not followed or know her very well to talk about this or even know thats the issue, but still if people want to change for whatever reason it dont justify the comments im reading.
Im simply saying people need to stop caring so much about everyone else business and what they do.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Are people just not reading the words out of Kim's mouth, and coming to the uninformed conclusion that she's just doing this for fun?

It's been spelled out by her, and numerous posts in this thread that Kim feels that being black is ugly. The standard of beauty, for generations now, has been white. Yes, most of us know that beauty knows no ethnicity, but that's not the point.

Go to any store in the country, and look at the magazine rack. From Cosmo, to Glamour, to those generic bridal magazines and fashion catalogues, you will see (unless it's a light skinned black celebrity or model), nothing but pretty white faces in its pages. Turn on the television and look at the adds for beauty products, shampoo, etc etc, and again, you'll see beautiful white women, hair blowing silkily in the wind smiling at the camera while men if all colors swoon adoringly.

When a minority woman is the object of attention in a movie, it's almost always to fetishize her in some way. Minority women are often treated like an exotic prize to be had by the white male lead, and then discarded in the next movie (I'm looking at you, Mission Impossible 2 and Thandie Newton).

Black women, and dark skinned black women in particular, are seen as less than attractive than light skinned black women, or just lighter skinned women in general. Monica Bellucci is seen as a different type of beautiful than Lupita N'Yongo, for example.

Spoiler: both of them are stupidly beautiful, but one of them I guarantee thinks she is ugly and unattractive. I remember being ecstatic that Lupita was cast in Star Wars, only to be heartbroken that she's a fucking CGI alien. Maz is still a fantastic character, and Lupita kills it, but fuck would it have been awesome to see her on screen instead.

The point is that, I challenge you to find a beautiful, dark skinned black women who doesn't harbor some insecurity and self worth issues. It's just that Lil' Kim actually had the finances to try and do something about it, because the sad truth is that trying to deprogram her feelings of worthlessness is a lot harder than getting some plastic surgery. It's a superficial change of her physical form, but the scars on her psyche aren't going to heal. She's now being treated like a freak, instead of being accepted as a "white girl" now.

It's like a sad, real life episode of Tales from the Crypt, or other ironic fable stories: Kim thought that by turning herself into what she thought was considered beautiful, she'd be loved and accepted. Instead, she is considered a freak and is still not accepted. Only now, she can't go back to her former self. It's too late.

That is just horribly sad. It's heartbreaking. As judgmental as society is, I can't imagine her ever feeling welcome and accepted. Just awful.

The self image of the Black woman in America has been dragged through the dirt for centuries. This isn't about "being who you are". This is about trying to fit into a society that only holds the European phenotype of beauty is valid.

This is why we straighten our hair, bleach our skin, put on blue/green eye contacts..etc.

It goes back, way back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRSgUTWffMQ

http://cswr.columbia.edu/article/th...-european-standards-of-beauty-on-black-women/

http://usslave.blogspot.com/2011/10/real-life-of-hottentot-venus.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom