• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lil Kim's New Bleached Hair and Light Skin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

It's the Rachel Dolezal thread all over again, right down to posters not understanding the science behind what makes a transgender person who they are and combining it with "trans racial" theories in order to sound progressive but really insulting transgender people by comparing them with a complete fantasy scenario.

You too woke

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
As someone who has battled low self esteem his entire life, I feel really sorry for Lil' Kim. It's easy to point fingers at her and mock her looks, but I think she deserves pity instead of ridicule.

I hope one day she can get the help she needs, but realistically, I don't think that's going to happen. She has to first want help, and then pursue help. People battling with issues of self worth and self esteem don't always have that extra motivation to seek help.

It's not about how attractive she was before vs how she looks now, it's about getting to the root of why she hates herself so much. It's really, really sad.

Onemic

Are we really doing the trans-racial shit in this thread? Really? Really?

I'm sympathetic to your argument. I have a few friends that are East or South Asian but essentially grew up "white" and identify as such. They don't relate to being "brown" or "asian" at all. I think think it's a complicated situation and I don't think we can project the same reasons onto Lil Kim, but being trapped in the wrong body is a real thing for these people.

What does it mean to 'feel white'? Or 'feel black'? Please ponder this for a moment.

It's the Rachel Dolezal thread all over again, right down to posters not understanding the science behind what makes a transgender person who they are and combining it with "trans racial" theories in order to sound progressive but really insulting transgender people by comparing them with a complete fantasy scenario.

Pretty much.

Yes, I know exactly what it is. But it's not something you can casually diagnose as an outside observer, it's like comparing to having a bad day and depression.

If someone said they were having a bad day every day for easily over a decade, I think it's possible they might suffer from depression.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to

I don't think that's fair.

My brain development tells me that I am a woman.

My brain development tells me that I am white.

There are different factors affecting the brain development that make me feel that way, but I think "a complete fantasy scenario" is going a little far. By any standards, even modern ones, it is pretty fantastic that people born into the "wrong" gender now have the option to correct that.

Nailed it in one.

There are different factors affecting the brain development that make me feel that way, but I think "a complete fantasy scenario" is going a little far. By any standards, even modern ones, it is pretty fantastic that people born into the "wrong" gender now have the option to correct that.
One has scientific merit and the other doesn't.

Slayven

How does one feel white?

Explain this one. Please.

What does that mean? What does that entail exactly?

Arkos

One has scientific merit and the other doesn't.

Science confirms that transgender people are a real thing.

But does that mean that we should discount other people who, for various reasons, feel deeply unhappy in their bodies?

How does one feel white?

Explain this one. Please.

What does that mean? What does that entail exactly?

It means that the cashiers don't follow you around the store and taxis will stop for you.

:p

No, I don't know what it means, but I think that the social and personal pressure that have obviously been exerted on Kim take this to another level. It's not just "oh it would be cool to be white." There seems to be deep psychological stuff going on. All I'm saying is that it's not just as simple as "yeah, I want to be white"

And again, I don't really have a side in this argument, I'm just playing devil's advocate because I do think it's an interesting discussion, so please tell me if I'm being offensive and don't hate me lol.

How does one feel white?

There is no one objective set of metrics that dictates one's internal identity which is why there is no answer to the question you asked. The implications of your question are exactly the point that is being made: racial identity isn't some concrete, incontrovertible conclusion that can be defined by a formula.

Same thing was done in that rachel dolezal thread. worst comparison I've ever seen.

Your inability to comprehend the comparison does not make it invalid.

Bubba T

It's not about how attractive she was before vs how she looks now, it's about getting to the root of why she hates herself so much. It's really, really sad.

Societal standards would have you believe that anything white is the truth. The indoctrination starts shortly after leaving the womb and continues subtly (and not so subtly) thoughout life. Look at childrens media and tell me how diverse it is. Grade schools don't teach anything about culture other than early European and American history that you would think it is the only thing in existence.

This shit has been going on longer than you and I have been alive and that is what is pathetic.

Slayven

Science confirms that transgender people are a real thing.

But does that mean that we should discount other people who, for various reasons, feel deeply unhappy in their bodies?

It means that the cashiers don't follow you around the store and taxis will stop for you.

:p

No, I don't know what it means, but I think that the social and personal pressure that have obviously been exerted on Kim take this to another level. It's not just "oh it would be cool to be white." There seems to be deep psychological stuff going on. All I'm saying is that it's not just as simple as "yeah, I want to be white"

And again, I don't really have a side in this argument, I'm just playing devil's advocate because I do think it's an interesting discussion, so please tell me if I'm being offensive and don't hate me lol.
So you just throwing out random shit cause "reasons"?

Ok....

There is no one objective set of metrics that dictates one's internal identity. The implications of your question are exactly the point that is being made: racial identity isn't some concrete conclusion that can be defined by a formula.

Your inability to comprehend the comparison does not make it invalid.
So your whole argument is based on "reasons"?

Ok........

Zekes!

people seriously trying push the idea of being trans-racial? The Kevin Federline's of the world bout to come out the woodwork. Shit is nonsense

Arkos

So you just throwing out random shit cause "reasons"?

Ok....

Would you care to make a coherent, pertinent response to what I am trying to say or do you just want to stick to the comic threads buddy?

Slayven

Would you care to make a coherent, pertinent response to what I am trying to say or do you just want to stick to the comic threads buddy?

You said you felt white and I ask how does one feel white and you said "t don't know"

How else am I going to take that?

So your whole argument is based on "reasons"?

Ok........

If your intent is to disagree with my sentiment then it should be quite easy for you to explain what it means to feel black in a way that is materially applicable to every single black person on the planet regardless of any and all other considerations.

So you've noticed it too? They seem wholly certain of their viewpoint yet painfully incapable of expanding upon it in any way.

I'd like to see some evidence that racial identify is some binary condition as they seem to believe that it exists.

Slayven

If your intent is to disagree with my sentiment then it should be quite easy for you to explain what it means to feel black in a way that is materially applicable to every single black person on the planet regardless of any and all other considerations.

So you've noticed it too? They seem wholly certain of their viewpoint yet painfully incapable of expanding upon it in any way.

I'd like to see some evidence that racial identify is some binary condition as they seem to believe that it exists.

You are advocating one can feel a different race than what they are born as, educate me. Are there scientific studies? Essays? Or even a Nielsen poll?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
You are advocating one can feel a different race than what they are born as, educate me. Are there scientific studies? Essays? Or even a Nielsen poll?

Race is a social construct anyways therefore I can be any race I damn well please.

lmao

dankir

Wow what the hell happened in this thread....???

Kim was pretty bad back in the day, first album cover.

400full.jpg

She needs help or something now... yeesh what a disaster.

Arkos

You are discounting the societal and personal pressures that have made Kim's mind what it is where she feels the need to do what she has done.

EDIT: Oh no! A ban is incoming I can feel it!

I didn't mean to derail the thread, I apologize for doing so, I started by responding to Shao Kahn (see below) and I still think it is an interesting discussion (if we can avoid all of the assuming that each other are bigots) maybe it needs its own thread though.

Imagine a Caitlyn Jenner thread with the same replies and tell me how it would be anything other than a gray wasteland of banned users.

sphagnum

Banned
You can't "feel white" as a natural instinct because races don't have an actual biological basis. They're broad, historically fluid social categories that have changed over time based on power structures.

What am I even reading here anymore.

I'm white and I "feel white" because I grew up in a family of white people. My sister is Indian but she "feels white" because she grew up in a family of white people, not because she has some sort of genetics that make her white-brained or something.

Slayven

I just want someone to explain how one acts/feels "black" or "white" without relying on racism, societal position, and stereotypes.

Race is a social construct anyways therefore I can be any race I damn well please.
Funny how it is a construct certain people can opt in and out of, but others have to live it everyday.
You are discounting the societal and personal pressures that have made Kim's mind what it is where she feels the need to do what she has done.

Like i said the damage that the european beauty standard puts on black women

50 cent had it right all those years ago. "Use to think lil kim was hot till she started fucking with her nose."

She looks terrible.

Societal standards would have you believe that anything white is the truth. The indoctrination starts shortly after leaving the womb and continues subtly (and not so subtly) thoughout life. Look at childrens media and tell me how diverse it is. Grade schools don't teach anything about culture other than early European and American history that you would think it is the only thing in existence.

This shit has been going on longer than you and I have been alive and that is what is pathetic.

Then you have people know the difference literally tell you lifes not fair and to "deal with it". At least poor Kim is dealing with it her way. After all she was so unfortunate to be born black, that was out of her control

jWILL253

Banned
When I see Lil Kim like this, I can't help but to feel a little guilty.

When I was younger, I was taught by the Black males that happened to be in my life that I needed to either get with a lightskinned woman, a Hispanic woman, or a White woman. All these men were romantically involved with darker Black women, but they all treated them like dogshit. I seen it happen... and I internalized it. I desired the same thing as a teenager... I hated my own Blackness, and the Blackness of women around me because I had always thought that "light" was the way to go.

Fast-forward a decade later, and I'm a grown man who's learned from my mistakes. I'm no longer in that mindset. But in hindsight... I look at all the male role models I had growing up, and I get disgusted. Jay-Z, Biggie, etc... they all promoted women with lighter features. Even inherently Black media... seem to prop up lighter toned folks over darker ones.

So, when I see these pictures, not only do I feel sorry for Kim, I also feel... disgusted with myself because I participated in the Willie Lynch bullshit. I feel guilty because it took until I turned 18 or so to actually appreciate Black women of all skin tones.

ApharmdX

Banned
This thread has turned into a horror show, holy shit.

50 cent had it right all those years ago. "Use to think lil kim was hot till she started fucking with her nose."

She looks terrible.

The nose is always the sticking point with plastic surgery. Once you start messing with your wide nose to make it have a point, you're lost. The shit never works out. But no one learns...

Arkos

Like i said the damage that the european beauty standard puts on black women

I totally agree. And I think that this (and I guess other things) seem to have been so deeply ingrained in Kim that you could argue that she "needed" to go through this process.

I. Do. Not. Agree. With. This.

But I think that the discussion is worthwhile, because talking about it helps us understand exactly what is going on with Kim, and what is going on with someone like Caitlyn Jenner.

And again, not trying to derail, don't ban me lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom