• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lil Kim's New Bleached Hair and Light Skin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
You know what I think Shao Kahn actually has a point worth considering.

Where or how do you differentiate between people pursuing cosmetic surgery due to gender identity issues and people pursuing it due to race identity issues?

Slayven

Where or how do you differentiate between people pursuing cosmetic surgery due to gender identity issues and people pursuing it due to race identity issues?
When they given an interview laying out their race identity issues

RootCause

The interview is very telling of her issues. She was fine, but years of abuse, and the pressure pushed her to this. That's what I think, maybe I'm not reading it correctly.

Shit is sad man.

Damn, I always suspected she had these issues when I first saw that No Matter What They Say video and then this photo.

tumblr_m80q7xpcPQ1qf2ia9o1_500.png

Tripolygon

Banned
She's comparing herself to the white girls, she tries to be like them, I mean, it's messed up and it's absolutely due to societal pressure, she doesn't want to look black, she wants to look white. I think it's a perspective thing I'm not going to get into. This is sad enough as it is and I feel I'm not qualified (as in, medical doctor qualified) to say something about this woman's mental health, other than damn she was beautiful once as she was.
She isn't changing her "race" to Caucasian, she's bleaching her skin to look like what has been defined as and still being defined as beautiful in America for a long time. And in her own words, the men in her life has always cheated on her with women with European features, so she's never felt beautiful in her own skin. Stop trying to compare two different situations that have nothing to do with each other. You don't have to be a Medical doctor to understand context. One is a trans woman, the other is a black woman with self esteem issues.

JDB

Banned
I can't believe people are seriously trying to compare Caitlyn Jenner to Lil Kim.

No one ever shit on Caitlyn to the point where she felt being a woman was the only chance at being accepted. Kim has been shit on her whole life, and I'll repost it

because this is a woman that taught that being black isn't good. She didn't decide on her own that she wanted to be white, there's a difference and pretending there's not is insulting.

Ahasverus

She isn't changing her "race" to Caucasian, she's bleaching her skin to look like what has been defined as and still being defined as beautiful in America for a long time. And in her own words, the men in her life has always cheated on her with women with European features, so she's never felt beautiful in her own skin. Stop trying to compare two different situations that have nothing to do with each other. You don't have to be a Medical doctor to understand context. One is a trans woman, the other is a black woman with self esteem issues.
I'm not fully agreeing with those comparing this to a gender transition, at all. I'm saying that the argument gets into a grey area because if you ask those people to heart they'll probably tell you "it's how I feel in the inside", but I think it's pretty clear it's not comparable as in how important and really natural is in a person. And of course, it's based on societal pressure, most of the time.

Arkos

When they given an interview laying out their race identity issues

The interview is very telling of her issues. She was fine, but years of abuse, and the pressure pushed her to this. That's what I think, maybe I'm not reading it correctly.

I know, I know, I would say maybe forget about Kim's specific circumstance and just look at the larger question that Shao Kahn seems to be posing:

Where is the line for it being "okay" to pursue cosmetic surgery?

Kim seems very unhappy with her body, and that seems lame and unfair. But it also seems to me that a lot of trans people must be unhappy with their bodies, not just because of their internal psychology, but also because of the way that society treats them. So where's the line?

I don't know. I just think that Shao Kahn's argument is interesting, I don't really agree with it. I'm genuinely curious about where that "line" is.

All I know is that Kim used to be super hot and I am sad now.

JDB

Banned
I know, I know, I would say maybe forget about Kim's specific circumstance and just look at the larger question that Shao Kahn seems to be posing:

When it's a choice of your own and not something you feel like you have to do in order to be accepted.

Tripolygon

Banned
I'm not fully agreeing with those comparing this to a gender transition, at all. I'm saying that the argument gets into a grey area because if you ask those people to heart they'll probably tell you "it's how I feel in the inside", but I think it's pretty clear it's not comparable as in how important and really natural is in a person.
I've never ever encountered a black man or woman who has used " it's how I feel inside" as a reason for why they bleached their skin. It has always been because beauty has been associated with white, while black is ugly. Where did you think the phrase "black is beautiful" came from? Same applies to having thick lips, broad nose and big booty.

diamount

Banned
You know exactly what it is and it's safe to say that's it something she is suffering from.

UnemployedVillain might not exactly know for sure but it's a safe bet.

No, it's not a safe bet. She's in one of the most vain industries going, there could be external pressure, maybe she doesn't want to name names so she won't hurt her career. Throwing around horrible mental conditions like you know what you're talking about is disgraceful.

Slayven

Kim seems very unhappy with her body, and that seems lame and unfair. But it also seems to me that a lot of trans people must be unhappy with their bodies, not just because of their internal psychology, but also because of the way that society treats them. So where's the line?

I don't know. I just think that Shao Kahn's argument is interesting, I don't really agree with it. I'm genuinely curious about where that "line" is.

All I know is that Kim used to be super hot and I am sad now.
why are people bringing up tans people?

Is it because they have never dealt with how European beauty standards are forced upon black women?

andthebeatgoeson

I feel conflicted. Like, I want to say that I prefer old lil Kim. But I worry it's just another dehumanizing response that led us here. She's more than a body and face. And she never got that lesson.

Ahasverus

I've never ever encountered a black man or woman who has used " it's how I feel inside" as a reason for why they bleached their skin. It has always been because beauty has been associated with white, while black is ugly. Where did you think the phrase "black is beautiful" came from? Same has applies to having thick lips, broad nose and big booty.
No argument here, I literally have no experience. Tales from my ass, I know, I'm glad there is someone to correct me.
And yes, god hold me when I see a black beauty, black is absolutely beautiful, so was lil kim. It's very sad she fell to this due to self-steem issues.

Arkos

When it's a choice of your own and not something you feel like you have to do in order to be accepted.

Hypothetical: I am gay but I feel like being a trans-woman and therefore being able to be in a "straight" relationship is more acceptable than being straight up gay.

I can imagine societal pressures affecting people in a similar way.

(Forgive me if I am being offensive or ignorant)

I feel conflicted. Like, I want to say that I prefer old lil Kim. But I worry it's just another dehumanizing response that led us here. She's more than a body and face. And she never got that lesson.

She unfortunately never got that chance to learn it cause everyone around her kept making her feel ugly.

No, it's not a safe bet. She's in one of the most vain industries going, there could be external pressure, maybe she doesn't want to name names so she won't hurt her career. Throwing around horrible mental conditions like you know what you're talking about is disgraceful.

What are you even talking about. Do you know what body dysmorphia is? From wiki

Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD), also known as body dysmorphia or dysmorphic syndrome, but originally termed dysmorphophobia, is a mental disorder characterized by an obsessive preoccupation that some aspect of one's own appearance is severely flawed and warrants exceptional measures to hide or fix it.[1] In BDD's delusional variant, the flaw is imagined.[2] If the flaw is actual, its importance is severely exaggerated.[2] Either way, one's thoughts about it are pervasive and intrusive, occupying up to several hours a day.

jblank83

I'm not about to tell a woman she can't dye her hair whatever color she wants. Or any man for that matter.

Whether she's lightening her skin or has a problem with self esteem and race is another matter that I don't feel like touching.

But dying your hair? Do whatever you want. Shave just one side. Put it in a mohawk. Get a famcut. Make it purple. Go crazy. Who cares.

Arkos

Is it because they have never dealt with how European beauty standards are forced upon black women?

I'm responding to Shao Kahn on the Lawn's controversial comparison between this situation and Caitlyn Jenner. I'm saying that I think the comparison is worth talking about. Feel free to disagree
and read the thread so you know what is going on

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I feel that she intentionally mislead people and at the very least lied by omission. I do not believe she was wrong to desire and create an aesthetic that she felt was more in line with her internal view of herself, however.

Have you got any insights that do not rely on baseless speculation about the people you're responding to or the internal motivations of the person we're discussing?

I'm sympathetic to your argument. I have a few friends that are East or South Asian but essentially grew up "white" and identify as such. They don't relate to being "brown" or "asian" at all. I think think it's a complicated situation and I don't think we can project the same reasons onto Lil Kim, but being trapped in the wrong body is a real thing for these people.

jblank83

Yes, I know exactly what it is. But it's not something you can casually diagnose as an outside observer, it's like comparing to having a bad day and depression.

Body dysmorphia is usually focused on a single aspect of the body as well. Like someone thinks they have big hands and can't be reasoned out of that belief.

Kreed

It's the Rachel Dolezal thread all over again, right down to posters not understanding the science behind what makes a transgender person who they are and combining it with "trans racial" theories in order to sound progressive but really insulting transgender people by comparing them with a complete fantasy scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom