• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lil Kim's New Bleached Hair and Light Skin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahasverus

Never forget

tumblr_nlhi36CI1m1r5zj1yo2_1280.jpg

Imagine a Caitlyn Jenner thread with the same replies and tell me how it would be anything other than a gray wasteland of banned users.

Dude you can take your more "high ground" and pretend this is just a case of "transracial identity crisis" or whatever, while the rest of us will acknowledge the very real issue of black and other darker skinned woman feeling uglier because society has conditioned us to believe that dark is ugly and white/light is beautiful.

Ahasverus

Are you comparing changing the color of your skin to transitioning gender?
What if you're black and feel white? Or like that other woman feel black? I dunno, it's a grey area for me, and more often than not falls into "your body, your problem" category. I think the line is drawn at those people who cut their own limbs.

Dude you can take your more "high ground" and pretend this is just a case of "transracial identity crisis" or whatever, while the rest of us will acknowledge the very real issue of black and other darker skinned woman feeling uglier because society has conditioned us to believe that dark is ugly and white/light is beautiful.
People need to watch the doll experiment if they think this is some transracial thing. This is a cultural issue that has existed for a looooooong time

Infinite

What if you're black and feel white? Or like that other woman feel black? I dunno, it's a grey area for me, and more often than not falls into "your body, your problem" category. I think the line is drawn at those people who cut their own limbs.
How can you feel black? "Mom, Dad I think I have dark skin, on the inside"

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

what is feeling white though?

RootCause

ITT: GAF reveals it has no idea how makeup or contouring works.

Beyonce and Gabrielle haven't touched their noses.

Poor Lil' Kim, on the other hand...Those quotes are brutal. She needs a real man.

Speaking of which, remember Naya Rivera from Glee?

so depressing, Kim Kardashian ruined an entire generation

Yeah, she's had terrible luck with her dating. They've done major damage to her self esteem.

Don't think it's fair to blame Kim. Surgery existed before She arrived to the scene.

Are you comparing changing the color of your skin to transitioning gender?

I'm comparing cosmetic surgery to cosmetic surgery, actually.

So is the base assumption that any minority woman who pursues cosmetic surgery is doing so because they have been shamed and that you know what is best for them and how they look?

You assume that I'm speaking from the perspective that we should not be supportive of women and how they look which couldn't be further from the truth. The difference, however, is that I'm not so fucking caught up in presumption that I believe I have the right to tell a woman she's wrong for deciding to pursue cosmetic surgery.

How can you feel black? "Mom, Dad I think I have dark skin, on the inside"

Mixed-race parentage is a thing. Internal identity isn't as clear cut as your sarcastic response seems to imply.

Gabrielle hasn't changed. Chill out, one photo she's smiling, another she's not.
MRpbjbr.jpg

You guys look at one comparison photo and bug out and not do a lick of research.

Not the same, there is no way to "feel white" what you "feel" is their privileged position, being seen as an individual and maybe their standard of beauty. Wanting to be white is because of the systematic racism one feels for being black and how they are treated because they're black.

So is the base assumption that any minority woman who pursues cosmetic surgery is doing so because they have been shamed and that you know what is best for them and how they look?

No, the basic assumption is
1. People don't get cosmetic surgery because they're satisfied with the way they look
2. Among the black community (and other minorities) there are numerous pressures to look white/light/european especially with the media implying that that is the standard of beauty
3. Lil Kim has been doing this for years and most lots of people are quite aware of her self esteem issues

Look at my posts and point out where I shamed her. One person in here called her an "idiot" which you'd have a point with, but most people acknowledge this as another instance in her long history of plastic surgery to make her feel better about herself, and another case in a long history of darker people becoming lighter and "whiter"

Ahasverus

she didnt say she felt white.
She apparently wants to, though. (Note: be = look, I'm not a native speaker, it means the same in my language, no idea what it really means to "be" white).
Not the same, there is no way to "feel white" what you "feel" is their privileged position, being seen as an individual and maybe their standard of beauty. Wanting to be white is because of the systematic racism one feels for being black and how they are treated because they're black.
I agree with you but.. the world is HUGE and there is a person out there for anything . Bet there is some that just.. wants it.

Those familiar with Kim knew why she has been getting surgery and it's not about feeling white or any of the things that has been posted.

I think it's pretty cut and dry and the interview has been posted on why she does it.

She apparently wants to, though

I agree with you but.. the world is HUGE and there is a person out there for anything . Bet there is some that just.. wants it.

I mean take away privilege, racism, and western standards of beauty. How does one act white? What does it mean to "feel white"?

Loxley

Really sad.

WROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG
more recent pics

That pic is literally her pouting,makeup + angles

please stop believing fucking media take out

Man, thank God. Gabrielle Union is straight-up one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen, the thought of her going under the knife to fix what ain't broke is something I'd refuse to believe. Here's hoping she keeps on aging gracefully.

Ahasverus

she wants to look different. she didnt say she felt white.

Are deliberately being obtuse? She wants to feel beautiful and she's associated being beautiful with having light white and features.
She's comparing herself to the white girls, she tries to be like them, I mean, it's messed up and it's absolutely due to societal pressure, she doesn't want to look black, she wants to look white. I think it's a perspective thing I'm not going to get into. This is sad enough as it is and I feel I'm not qualified (as in, medical doctor qualified) to say something about this woman's mental health, other than damn she was beautiful once as she was.
I mean take away privilege, racism, and western standards of beauty. How does one act white? What does it mean to "feel white"?
Well that would mean white = privilege, racism etc.. Western European standards seem to be the case here, but who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom