• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lilo & Stitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
WTF, why didn't anyone tell me that this movie was so frackin' awesome? And I was starting to get a BIT disillusioned with Disney in recent years!

Thank you Netflix. Thank you for saving me from another evening of FF(p)U...

I love this movie. Years ago it was playing in Target on the demo TVs-- I watched 30 seconds and was convinced to buy it. That's never happened to me before.

Warning Skip the Stich movie which is utter crap and head right to Lilo and Stich 2 if you get the urge to see more.

I've never actually watched all of Lilo and Stich 2 but from what I saw working as a clerk at Toys ar us for a shot time it did a ok job living up to the first movie.

Rlan

"Stitch the movie" was the first few episodes of the TV series, setting that all up. Lilo & Stitch 2 is a DTV movie.

ManaByte

Mejilan said:
Ahh, thanks. I've no interest in the tv show.

Honestly the series is good as are the direct to video Stitch sequels. The only problem with the sequels is they went cheap on the music and could only afford a couple Elvis songs compared to the original movie.

Ohana means. . . whoa check out that hot blonde life guard again! :p

The TV series is surprisingly well done. It's a breath of fresh air compared to all the animu bullshit out there.

J2 Cool

The art style is pretty incredible. I wish they'd have cut the constant alien chase though. Lilo, Nani, and Stitch had great chemistry and the film could have spent more time developing the sister's and Stitch's relationship by cutting the constant chase that begins 25 minutes in. Other than that a fine effort. Chris Sanders next film should be a good one, American Dog.

ManaByte

There's another direct to DVD sequel coming out. Leeroy and Stitch is another movie that is the end to the TV series.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
J2 Cool said:
The art style is pretty incredible. I wish they'd have cut the constant alien chase though. Lilo, Nani, and Stitch had great chemistry and the film could have spent more time developing the sister's and Stitch's relationship by cutting the constant chase that begins 25 minutes in. Other than that a fine effort. Chris Sanders next film should be a good one, American Dog.
I agree. I wish the alien stuff was dropped. When it was just Lilo, Stitch and Nani, the film was soaring. The very last act lost me too, with the aliens coming in full force, the FBI thing, and Stitch talking. I just wanted to see Stitch learn about the world and get involved in that family. Of course, dropping some of that other stuff might make the movie border too closely to just copying The Iron Giant, but whatever.

AniHawk

I still think the best animated Disney flick in the last 6 years was Emperor's New Groove.

Lilo & Stitch was okay. The attention it received puzzled me. Kinda like how the reception to Mulan puzzled me ("OMG DISNEY'S BACK!")

J2 Cool

AniHawk said:
I still think the best animated Disney flick in the last 6 years was Emperor's New Groove.

Lilo & Stitch was okay. The attention it received puzzled me. Kinda like how the reception to Mulan puzzled me ("OMG DISNEY'S BACK!")

Yeah, Emperor's New Groove was just a film that knew what it was. All these other Disney films post Lion King lacked an identity. Save for Pocohontas which decided it's identity was "boring/serious". Emperor's New Groove's animation, characters, and story were on the same page. Mulan though was well recieved as the best drama since Lion King. Lilo & Stitch for having such a bold design and fun feel - despite some of my own grievances with it. Point being, they're all a mark above everything else the studio did in that time.

gimz

AniHawk said:

same here
Emperor's New Groove was great :lol

TENG love is funny, especially since that's not the movie they started making.
Kingdom of the Sun

Early in development, the film was titled Kingdom of the Sun, later Kingdom in the Sun, with Roger Allers as the film's director and Randy Fullmer as producer. Among those on Allers' production team were supervising animator Andreas Deja, who was in charge of the witch character of Yzma, and pop musician Sting, who, in the wake of Elton John's success with The Lion King's soundtrack, had been assigned to write several songs for the film.

Kingdom of the Sun was to have been a tale of a greedy, selfish emperor who finds a peasant (voiced by Owen Wilson) who looks just like him; the emperor swaps places with the peasant for fun, much as in author Mark Twain's archetypal novel The Prince and the Pauper. However, the evil witch Yzma has plans to lasso the sun and capture it so that she may retain her youth forever (the sun gives her wrinkles, so she surmises that living in a world of darkness would prevent her from wrinkling). Discovering the switch between the prince and the peasant, Yzma turns the real emperor into a llama and threatens to reveal the pauper's identity unless he obeys her. The emperor-llama learns humility in his new form, and even comes to love a girl llama-herder. Together, the girl and the llama set out to undo the witch's plans.
yikes. I think what we got is a much better movie.

AniHawk

bune duggy said:
TENG love is funny, especially since that's not the movie they started making. yikes. I think what we got is a much better movie.

No kidding. It was great to see a cartoon movie poking fun at so many cliches.

"Wait, how did you get to the palace before we did?"
"I know, by the map, it doesn't make any sense."

And the dramatic zooming out to a monkey. :lol

So how does the Lilo & Stitch continuity go?

Lilo & Stitch
Stitch: The Movie
Lilo & Stitch: The Series
Leroy & Stitch

Where does Lilo & Stitch 2 fit in? Somewhere in the middle/end of the series?

BTW, has the special 2-Disc DVD release come out yet? I've been waiting for like two fucking years for it... L&S rocks so hard.

Ahahahahahahaha, AniHawk you're awesome. :lol :lol

Leroy is experiment 627. He looks like Stitch except he's red and more evil.

leroy5.jpg

(On the right. I don't think there's an official image of him yet)

Edit: Nevermind!

Leroy%26StitchDVDCover.jpg

Dan

WordAssassin said:
BTW, has the special 2-Disc DVD release come out yet? I've been waiting for like two fucking years for it... L&S rocks so hard.
It's not out yet and it has no release date. I would've thought they'd bring it out around Leroy & Stitch's release, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Dan said:
It's not out yet and it has no release date. I would've thought they'd bring it out around Leroy & Stitch's release, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
God DAMMIT!

First they didn't release it because they didn't think people would care for a second disc of extras. Then they were going to release it on the year anniversary. THEN they were going to release it with Lilo & Stitch 2. WHAT THE FUCK! The DVD is DONE. It's just SITTING there waiting to be shipped.

GOD DAMMIT DISNEY WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

GhaleonEB

I love this movie. It's a great mix of serious themes and stunningly bizzare humor. Marcelus Wallace as a social worker? Cross-dressing aliens? ("You're just jealous because I'm pretty!") Some really halucinagentic dialogue. My favorite lines:

"Oh good, my puppy found the chainsaw."

"My friends need to be punished." (After dropping voodoo dolls of her friends into a pickle jar and shaking it.)

The entire Pudge the Fish speech. ("I'd be an abomination!")

I love that the filmmakers put more Elvis songs in it than any of Elvis' own movies had.

And the story moves me. The whole Ugly Duckling methphor is perfect, and the animation is stunning. I love that it uses retro-styles: hand-painted watercolor backgrounds (the first since Dumbo) and rounded surfaces; no sharp corners at all. It's all soooooo cute, yet devious. And Stitch is one twisted SOB.

Dan

WordAssassin said:
GOD DAMMIT DISNEY WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I wish I knew. This is the one post-Lion King Disney animated film I'd like to own, but I'm not buying the normal edition when this is still on the horizon.

Actually, I wouldn't be opposed to owning Atlantis, just for some of the art though.

Speaking of Atlantis, I had forgotten the guy who does the Hellboy comic worked on the movie until after the Hellboy movie came out. Had to watch Atlantis again and see where his influences were.

ManaByte

GhaleonEB said:
I love this movie. It's a great mix of serious themes and stunningly bizzare humor. Marcelus Wallace as a social worker? Cross-dressing aliens? ("You're just jealous because I'm pretty!") Some really halucinagentic dialogue. My favorite lines:

"My friends need to be punished." (After dropping voodoo dolls of her friends into a pickle jar and shaking it.)

I love that the filmmakers put more Elvis songs in it than any of Elvis' own movies had.

And the story moves me. The whole Ugly Duckling methphor is perfect, and the animation is stunning. I love that it uses retro-styles: hand-painted watercolor backgrounds (the first since Dumbo) and rounded surfaces; no sharp corners at all. It's all soooooo cute, yet devious. And Stitch is one twisted SOB.

lilo_01.jpg

lilo_06.jpg

lilo_07.jpg

lilo_08.jpg

J2 Cool

Also, Stitch's eyes being as they were was a thing of brilliance. Disney eyes has plagues their movies quite a bit, and pure puppy-like all black eyes worked fantastic. He loses no emotion from a less comfortable design for animators.

One of, if not my fovorite Diseny movie. Just so purely funny and twisted in spots.

Like others have said, the out of place ugly duckling story is quite touching.

My fovorite scene is Lilo telling Stitch to do something constructive....
lilo_06.jpg

He then builds a model of San Fran out of books and goes "Godzilla" on it.

mrmyth

GhaleonEB said:

That's what puts this movie over the edge for me. For it being family fare, Stitch was a complete asshole. And not just an asshole, a gleefully happy asshole. I loved watching him destroy, because he was having so much fun doing it. Stitch had me from the second he used his own spit to free himself.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Disney knows Stitch is hot stuff, too. My wife (who is a *huge* Stitch fan) and I went to Disney World last week, and Stitch has taken over. Seriously, he's right up there with Mickey, Donald and Goofy in terms of presence at the parks & stores. They had t-shirts at Animal Kingdom with African-mask-like faces of 4 characters on it -- Mickey, Donald, Goofy and Stitch.

He's a great character. And Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch Has A Glitch is *almost* as good as the first movie. Stitch: The Movie and the TV series are not as good but still fun.

Memles

Thanks, WordAssassin! I came in to bitch about the lack of the Special Edition, but you more or less covered that ground.

Love Lilo and Stitch (And Emperor's New Groove, mind you), and Stitch is a strong property...I know that Jim Hill is like the plague most of the time, but he had an interesting article on the possible oversaturation of the franchise...I'll be honest, I think there's too much of it myself, between the Series and the movies and the rest of it.

That said...Where the FUCK is my 2-Disc set and Airplane scene restoration, damnit?!

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Hmm. Lemme see. I think we've seen the original about, I dunno, 20 times. At least. Still never gets old.

Part 2, the real part 2, we've seen maybe 8 times. It's oh-so-close to the greatness of part one but falls short a bit. BUT! The scene where Lilo beats up her nemesis and Stitch is taking pics of it (Lilo's teeny hand makes me laugh like nobody's business) is pure gold. Lilo is ghetto, on the low.

FoneBone

Memles said:
That said...Where the FUCK is my 2-Disc set and Airplane scene restoration, damnit?!
Well, this only took about, oh, six years longer than it should have. Note that this, or at least a very similar release, has been out in Europe and Australia since at least 2005.
_109.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom