• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited edition PS4 availability

skelekey

i want one. but not going to rape myself by paying over the regular price of a ps4. stupid move to make it that limited. what a way to show appreciation to those who have been with you for those 20 years. yes, im bitter.

I agree. In fact this was my post on the blog:

-Love the console. Shame I only learned about this today and my money is tight.

Boooo Sony, Booooooooooooo.

Why is this limited run for such a tiny number. You just sold over 13 million consoles in a year and couldn’t give everyone the chance to celebrate. I would get one of these if it was available a few months from now but all I get for picking up a PS4 on day one is a plain black console(not that I don’t love it). I would at least like the chance to buy this. As it stands, i’ll probably be looking at north of $1000 to buy one of these.

Boo.
-

I know They want it to be special, but at the same time, they've alienated plenty of fans who would want to pick this up. They sold 100 million PS1's. 12.500 doesn't even equate to 1%.

I'm just a little upset, because of all the different variations released, this one looks ,by far, the best I have seen, and the one that would get me to buy the console again, but it's looking so far out of reach.

Breakage

Normally I'd agree with this assessment, but I suppose this LE PS4 is directly aimed at collectors and core gamers. The limited numbers for the brand's anniversary make it worthwhile.

I want one, but it better be sold outside of Vegas.

I agree. This is definitely aimed at devout PlayStation collectors with money to burn.

Normally I'd agree with this assessment, but I suppose this LE PS4 is directly aimed at collectors and core gamers. The limited numbers for the brand's anniversary make it worthwhile.

I want one, but it better be sold outside of Vegas.

They are going to offer some way to possibly buy one. You just need to watch their livestream.

Pachimari

Check the twitter account of your country's PS branch. PS France for example already announced that there will be a whopping 500 units for sale on December 19th at one particular store in Paris. They'll also be giving away 20 of them via social media.
The Danish branch will bring details later.

I'm putting up my PS4 for sale to finance this 20 year edition.

I guess for me, the real question is how exclusive is this PlayStation Experience event?

For example, if I were to hop on a plane to Vegas now, would I be able to attend? Is this a
"tickets at the door" sort of convention thing?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
So apparently this thing IS coming ot Australia.

But the onyl way you can get it right now is via a compeition with PlayStation Australi's social media outlets.

Fuckers. I will GIVE YOU MONEY. LOTS OF MONEY.

This is so stupid. They are all coming out of a factory why can't they just print more ? Does Sony not give a shit about money? There should be enough to satisfy demand.

I guess for me, the real question is how exclusive is this PlayStation Experience event?

For example, if I were to hop on a plane to Vegas now, would I be able to attend? Is this a
"tickets at the door" sort of convention thing?

They were selling them online for 40$ in November unless I'm losing my mind.

Mikey Jr.

This is so stupid. They are all coming out of a factory why can't they just print more ? Does Sony not give a shit about money? There should be enough to satisfy demand.

Why make any collectibles/limited editions ever?

They all come from a factory, just make more!

zoozilla

I think you guys greatly overestimate the amount of demand there is for a grey-colored PS4.

I think 12,300 is a totally appropriate number to make. The last thing they want to do is make too many and have people see these things lying on shelves.

It's nice but I don't really want the camera. Glad to see the original colours come back.

Problem with these releases is that I'd want to play them.. but I'd be doing so knowing that I'm literally flushing money down the toilet. They will be worth several times their value in a few years, sealed.

The "original grey" colour finish makes the PS4 look like a scanner or printer. It wouldn't look out of place in an office environment imo.

People are just gonna be paying extra for an engraved case and a special box.
It's just a stock PS4 underneath. If this unit had full PS1/2 hardware BC or the case was made from brushed aluminum -- just something that really sets it apart from a standard PS4, I think it would be a far more compelling product.

As it stands it's just a regular PS4 with a fancy plastic case and a smart box and that just makes the prices it will fetch all the more ridiculous.

From what I heard there's a headset (the Gold headset I assume) in the box as well, which makes the price of this edition pretty reasonable.

In France the package is 499€. Coming with a camera and the headset, it's actually cheaper than buying all these things individually...

So nobody is getting ripped-off as far as I'm concerned, not even avid collectors.

NIGHT-

I get my bonus check Sunday, but will be broke Saturday :(... Will they charge for the preorder? Or when it ships? I guess no one knows lol

From what I heard there's a headset (the Gold headset I assume) in the box as well, which makes the price of this edition pretty reasonable.

In France the package is 499€. Coming with a camera and the headset, it's actually cheaper than buying all these things individually...

So nobody is getting ripped-off as far as I'm concerned, not even avid collectors.

It's not the Gold Headset...it's the little tiny mono earbud one that's grey instead of black and blue.

It's not the Gold Headset...it's the little tiny mono earbud one that's grey instead of black and blue.

Oh. My bad.

I'd still like to get one but that'll be impossible with a measly 500 units available for sale in France.
Kind of strange that they chose to sell this edition only in a single rich-ass luxury store in Paris. A store that doesn't even sell videogames. That gives this whole thing a snobbish vibe when it could instead have been a celebration between gamers.

Pachimari

At least those 500 units available in store is better than the competition they run in Australia.

I really hope they put it up for sale here in Scandinavia.

Breakage

It comes with the standard wired in-ear headset

ps4_8.jpg

Jonboy

Lol. Some don't seem to understand the point of a limited edition. We've been spoiled in the past by "limited edition" consoles, but this thing isn't meant for the masses. It's meant to be a collector's item for only the most die-hard of fans.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you're in the US, it is probably cheaper to get a flight to Vegas to buy one, rather than pay whatever the inevitable eBay prices are. Heck, probably cheaper for most people globally to fly to Vegas.

Boyzi

Banned
I've already got a launch day PS4, but boy oh boy, that limited edition PS1-esque PS4 looks sexy as foooooooooooooook.

hesido

Why make any collectibles/limited editions ever?

They all come from a factory, just make more!

It's for the collectors and to make it something special. It hurts no one to not have the gray PS4 but it will be selling for crazy prices on E-Bay, and some people paying 1500 dollars for a gray PS4 will make a lot of people happily pay 399 for the black one, cementing their buying decision.

Garibaldi

As is usually the way with these things. Only the wealthy will get them. It's essentially a standard PS4 in a grey box. Yeah it looks great but paying silly money for them is a fool's game.

If there is 12,300 of them they should give 4,100 to each region (Europe, the Americas and Asia) and raffle them off to PSN accounts. For free. Or make another 1,000 and give those ultra rare ones (with full back compatibility) to under privileged children in each region.

Especially in the holiday season.

El-Suave

I think they should give them to underprivileged NBA players like back in the day when they boasted about giving custom PS3's to special people. Corporate thinking never changes, at least some fans get a shot at owning one this time around.

Ishan

its 12.3 k total to be made.
available at some colette or something like that store in paris (500 for france)
will be available at psx

and yes going to be insane. we had someone offering to buy one for an attendee if he just got him one in the psx thread. so +500 on the cost offer already . Its probably going to hit 1k plus on ebay soon enough. everyone going to psx if they have 500 handly is going to make atleast half their travel cost back easily. Frankly if i wasnt a grad student and had the cash and time i would book a ticket to vegas cause i would make half of it back easily if i just snapped one of those off and resold it.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
The "original grey" colour finish makes the PS4 look like a scanner or printer. It wouldn't look out of place in an office environment imo.

People are just gonna be paying extra for an engraved case and a special box.
It's just a stock PS4 underneath. If this unit had full PS1/2 hardware BC or the case was made from brushed aluminum -- just something that really sets it apart from a standard PS4, I think it would be a far more compelling product.

As it stands it's just a regular PS4 with a fancy plastic case and a smart box and that just makes the prices it will fetch all the more ridiculous.
Really?? What did you expect it's a 20yr anniversary model not much else you can do

kamandi

I doubt it will be limited to Playstation Experience event. Yesterday there was something on Playstation Turkey Facebook page.

It says, " With the legendary colors of PS1, Playstation 4 20th Anniversary Edition has been announced,details for Turkey soon."

Playstation Turkey page: http://goo.gl/pavqpm

It seems like they are simply implying that it will be also sold in Turkey, and obviously in other countries in limited quantities.

That's the only placed they've announced it's being sold. With only 12k available, you're not going to see it at your local store.

No, they said they would announce North America availability this Saturday at PSX. I really doubt that announcement will be that you can only buy it there. They will put them up online somewhere.

Top Bottom