• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited edition PS4 availability

Charadis

For those of you keeping these, are you going to use the controller? Even if I keep mine, I think I would be afraid of wear-and-tear on the controller and would just use a regular black PS4 controller instead.

Opened, and currently using as my main controller (sold my Destiny bundle, so only controller I got).

In the end, while its a nice color scheme, it's just a controller. And I'd much rather enjoy using it than torture myself by leaving it in a box lol lol

jpg

Neo Member
I'm just going to say, the battery thing is a complete non issue. This would be a terrible design if that were true. Motherboards have had batteries like this since forever, and this is not common. Check any cartridge based game with the ability to save dating back the NES, if anything they will die over time but they do not explode or leak or anything that would cause damage. Nothing to worry about here.

TyrantII

I'm just going to say, the battery thing is a complete non issue. This would be a terrible design if that were true. Motherboards have had batteries like this since forever, and this is not common. Check any cartridge based game with the ability to save dating back the NES, if anything they will die over time but they do not explode or leak or anything that would cause damage. Nothing to worry about here.

Things are designed with typical lifespans in mind. CE are not designed with decades of life in mind, especially without upkeep and care. Even less so now a days where bottom dollar price is held up as the biggest plus.

Its not common or uncommon, just a possibility; but why risk anything with such limited numbers?

http://youtu.be/8UfvLx1ywMg

You won't need to worry about it any time soon, that's for sure. But something to keep in mind if you hit 2024 and still have one.

cwistofu

My status just changed from estimated delivery date 12/26 to "No estimated delivery date at this time." Woo.

I'm in Irvine, CA.

My status just changed from estimated delivery date 12/26 to "No estimated delivery date at this time." Woo.

I'm in Irvine, CA.

Same. I'm in Tustin.

12/22/2014 - Monday
10:19 pm Left FedEx origin facility ROMEOVILLE, IL
4:04 pm Arrived at FedEx location ROMEOVILLE, IL
3:37 am Shipment information sent to FedEx
12:00 am Picked up ROMEOVILLE, IL

No estimated delivery date available at this time.

edit:
12/26/2014 - Friday
5:36 pm Arrived at FedEx location BLOOMINGTON, CA

Estimated delivery Sat 12/27/2014

jpg

Neo Member
Things are designed with typical lifespans in mind. CE are not designed with decades of life in mind, especially without upkeep and care. Even less so now a days where bottom dollar price is held up as the biggest plus.

Its not common or uncommon, just a possibility; but why risk anything with such limited numbers?

http://youtu.be/8UfvLx1ywMg

You won't need to worry about it any time soon, that's for sure. But something to keep in mind if you hit 2024 and still have one.

What do you mean when you say, why risk it? I don't think there's anything you can do to prevent it. My point is it is not something that should factor into any decision with what you plan to do with the console. I'm not saying it won't happen, but this isn't something that will likely happen to every unit in 15 years, and the discussion was beginning to sound like that in this thread.

These consoles aren't built with long term in mind sure, but they do definitely consider it. Buy any classic factory sealed console, or at least one well taken care of and they generally don't have any issues still running today.

Mecca

It's funny in a depressing sort of way how a few of us thought we were going to get it first since the rumor was they were shipping out of California. It turns out we are one of the last.

Mine said no estimated delivery for about 10 minutes and then it updated to show a delivery date of tomorrow. Hopefully, it will change for all of you as well.

I disagree, you have a great number. This is such a small production run - 12,300 - that each one regardless of number is going to be highly regarded. Yes 00007 and 00001 etc will have greater value but we are talking about fine margins here.

Oh I'm not talking about the value. I'm not selling it so the dollar value for special numbers is meaningless. I just wanted a 'cool' number, or at least a super low one. Someone here got number 00049 or something like that. I was jelly.

Still glad I got one though. Brings back so many memories!

I was never much of a collector before but now it's become an addiction. I have the star wars R2D2 xbox 360, the microsoft employees 'i made this' xbox one, the black and gold "LE" zelda-themed 3DS xl, the NES-themed gameboy advance SP, and now this 20th anni PS4.

Of all of them, the PS4 definitely had the most "premium" feel when opening it because the packaging is so nice. I mean that interior black box that opens clamshell-style and is super thick cardboard? It feels NICE. The employee XB1 has that sleeve, but the interior box is just a standard black day 1 box.

I will say that as far as hardware goes, my favorite of all of them is the white employee XB1's controller (the one that comes separate from the console). I can't even bring myself to use it b/c, you know, it's WHITE for pete's sake and would show dirt, but it's got this soft satiny rubberized shell kinda like the backs of some cell phones. It feels SO nice to hold. I wish they'd release those at retail so I could buy one to game with!!

TyrantII

These consoles aren't built with long term in mind sure, but they do definitely consider it. Buy any classic factory sealed console, or at least one well taken care of and they generally don't have any issues still running today.

Classic consoles and systems are different beasts from a different era. I don't think they can easily be compared to consoles today with millions more transistors packed into smaller spaces, generating 90C temperatures, and having moving optical drives, cooling systems, ect. NES shells have gone sooner than the component's inside. Those things were built to last.

And again, this isn't something to worry about now. Its for upkeep much later down the line. Most people will have to replace the a dying battery anyways before it even has a chance to corode. But if someone is storing it for a long haul, they probably want to store it as safe as possible. I was just letting people know that there is a battery in these things, something many apparently didn't realize.

I think if you want a console, now is the time to buy, or the next few weeks
people will look to unload it since they want a quick profit and everyone will be battling to have lower prices to sell asap

i got mine today and gonna keep it sealed forever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever.
I still want to know what my number is haha

Oxn

Oh I'm not talking about the value. I'm not selling it so the dollar value for special numbers is meaningless. I just wanted a 'cool' number, or at least a super low one. Someone here got number 00049 or something like that. I was jelly.

Still glad I got one though. Brings back so many memories!

I was never much of a collector before but now it's become an addiction. I have the star wars R2D2 xbox 360, the microsoft employees 'i made this' xbox one, the black and gold "LE" zelda-themed 3DS xl, the NES-themed gameboy advance SP, and now this 20th anni PS4.

Of all of them, the PS4 definitely had the most "premium" feel when opening it because the packaging is so nice. I mean that interior black box that opens clamshell-style and is super thick cardboard? It feels NICE. The employee XB1 has that sleeve, but the interior box is just a standard black day 1 box.

I will say that as far as hardware goes, my favorite of all of them is the white employee XB1's controller (the one that comes separate from the console). I can't even bring myself to use it b/c, you know, it's WHITE for pete's sake and would show dirt, but it's got this soft satiny rubberized shell kinda like the backs of some cell phones. It feels SO nice to hold. I wish they'd release those at retail so I could buy one to game with!!

I got the Sunset Overdrive Bundle. I think its the exact same thing as the Developer edition but without the Developer Edition Logo. Looking back I must have been insane to consider buying that Developer Edition for like $1800, but I really almost did. I love White Electronics.

And same as You I love collecting nice hardware now.

I got the Sunset XB1 Bundle
White Mickey Mouse 3DS XL
White Vita
Gold "One Piece" PS3
Gold GBA SP (which doesnt even look gold)
20th Anniversary Edition PS4
Destiny Bundle PS4 thats in the mail.

Some are not rare or anything, but I like the design and limitedness.

I got the Sunset Overdrive Bundle. I think its the exact same thing as the Developer edition but without the Developer Edition Logo. Looking back I must have been insane to consider buying that Developer Edition for like $1800, but I really almost did. I love White Electronics.

And same as You I love collecting nice hardware now.

I got the Sunset XB1 Bundle
White Mickey Mouse 3DS XL
White Vita
Gold "One Piece" PS3
Gold GBA SP (which doesnt even look gold)
20th Anniversary Edition PS4
Destiny Bundle PS4 thats in the mail.

Some are not rare or anything, but I like the design and limitedness.

I only paid $1500 for the dev one and that was with the controller, which by itself was going for around $400 at the time.

Considering base consoles were $500 at the time, a 3x markup with that sweet controller wasn't a big deal. And yeah the SO one looks almost identical, but I'd wager good money that less than 500 of the developer ones were made.

That's EXTREMELY limited, much moreso than this 20th anni PS4.

Eventually I wanna get ahold of that black Yaroze PS1, but those are hard to find in good condition and cost a pretty penny.

I'm just glad I got this PS4 for MSRP. It would've felt pretty shitty paying $1200+ for something that's not nearly as limited, with over 12k of them in the wild.

I WOULD, however, be willing to trade straight up and add in some cash sweetener if anyone lives in Dallas/Houston/Austin/SanAntonio and has a number below 1000 or a cool 'unique' one like 01234, 07777, etc.

Charadis

I only paid $1500 for the dev one and that was with the controller, which by itself was going for around $400 at the time.

Considering base consoles were $500 at the time, a 3x markup with that sweet controller wasn't a big deal. And yeah the SO one looks almost identical, but I'd wager good money that less than 500 of the developer ones were made.

That's EXTREMELY limited, much moreso than this 20th anni PS4.

Eventually I wanna get ahold of that black Yakuza PS1, but those are hard to find in good condition and cost a pretty penny.

I'm just glad I got this PS4 for MSRP. It would've felt pretty shitty paying $1200+ for something that's not nearly as limited, with over 12k of them in the wild.

I WOULD, however, be willing to trade straight up and add in some cash sweetener if anyone lives in Dallas/Houston/Austin/SanAntonio and has a number below 1000 or a cool 'unique' one like 01234, 07777, etc.

You mean the Yaroze PSOne? I've wanted one of those since forever ago. Price has only gone up through the years.

I also have the white XBO SO bundle, and the white controller is refreshing to use.

Oxn

Too bad I won't know my number. I could have something special too. But I'll wager I'll open it eventually.

Oxn

You mean the Yaroze PSOne? I've wanted one of those since forever ago. Price has only gone up through the years.

I also have the white XBO SO bundle, and the white controller is refreshing to use.

Traded in my 20gig Xbox 360, and sold Sunset OD and the system cost me just slightly over 200.

That controller is really nice looking. Im actually glad I got the Sunset Bundle over the Developer edition one on hindsight. The ONLY difference is the "I Made this" logo, and I rather not have that despite it making it really really rare.

Lol yeah Yaroze. I've got Yakuza on the brain from some youtube vids.

Traded in my 20gig Xbox 360, and sold Sunset OD and the system cost me just slightly over 200.

That controller is really nice looking. Im actually glad I got the Sunset Bundle over the Developer edition one on hindsight. The ONLY difference is the "I Made this" logo, and I rather not have that despite it making it really really rare.

The controller with the SO bundle is just regular plastic though right? The dev one came with a black plastic day one controller in the box and the satin-finish one was separate in its own box. People are still paying a pretty penny for that satin-finish controller. It boggles my mind why MS won't release it at retail. They could sell it for $80-100 and people WOULD pay that much.

Oxn

Lol yeah Yaroze. I've got Yakuza on the brain from some youtube vids.

The controller with the SO bundle is just regular plastic though right? The dev one came with a black plastic day one controller in the box and the satin-finish one was separate in its own box. People are still paying a pretty penny for that satin-finish controller. It boggles my mind why MS won't release it at retail. They could sell it for $80-100 and people WOULD pay that much.

Im a bit confused. Satin-finish?

The Dev console came with a White Controller that says I made this, as well as a Black Controller. Are you saying the Black controller is also special? I cant tell by the pics. They both look plastic matte to me.

Edit: I really wish I bought the TitanFall Controller when it was retail priced.

jpg

Neo Member

After much discussion with my brother I listed my #410 on eBay. I'm in the Dallas area. Sorry, I wouldn't be able to trade with you. It's not sealed, but it is a low number, so honestly I have no idea what it will end up selling for. Just giving you a heads up, you may be able to sell yours and take mine for not much difference.

/Shameless self-promotion.

After much discussion with my brother I listed my #410 on eBay. I'm in the Dallas area. Sorry, I wouldn't be able to trade with you. It's not sealed, but it is a low number, so honestly I have no idea what it will end up selling for. Just giving you a heads up, you may be able to sell yours and take mine for not much difference.

/Shameless self-promotion.

I'd have been willing to drive to dallas and meet you at the police station to trade as well as give you cash, lol. I doubt I'll bother with ebay though, thanks anyway.

Im a bit confused. Satin-finish?

The Dev console came with a White Controller that says I made this, as well as a Black Controller. Are you saying the Black controller is also special? I cant tell by the pics. They both look plastic matte to me.

Edit: I really wish I bought the TitanFall Controller when it was retail priced.

The black controller with it is just the 'Day One 2013' controller that came with the day one consoles.

The white controller has a rubberized, textured shell that feels sort of satiny-y... or maybe more like velvet. It's hard to describe. I'm kinda doubting that the white controller that came with the SO has this velvety shell on it. It's nice but of course if you used it, that textured shell would attract dirt and crud like a magnet. But it FEELS wonderful. I wish they'd sell them at retail.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Eventually I wanna get ahold of that black Yaroze PS1, but those are hard to find in good condition and cost a pretty penny.

When I was in Akihabara earlier this year I found a Yaroze complete with box/documentation for about $150. This was at a really popular/well known mom & pop retro shop too. I didn't have room to bring it home so I passed :(

Totally regret.

LiK

When I was in Akihabara earlier this year I found a Yaroze complete with box/documentation for about $150. This was at a really popular/well known mom & pop retro shop too. I didn't have room to bring it home so I passed :(

Totally regret.

Should've shipped it back home!

Totally regret.

Should've shipped it back home!

What he said, whoa. $150? The cheapest I can find one with the box and all is at least $1200 or so. Even the ones without boxes that I've found have been $300-400. I've seen a few go cheap for around $400 with box/manuals, but without seeing them who knows what the condition was. Of course ebay prices are inflated b/c sellers often factor in the 10% ebay fee and 3% paypal fee.

jordn613

Unconfirmed Member
Someone in the Buy Trade Sell thread mentioned I should let people here know I have one for sale in that thread (he said lots of people are unaware that thread even exists).

Someone in the Buy Trade Sell thread mentioned I should let people here know I have one for sale in that thread (he said lots of people are unaware that thread even exists).

That was meeeeeeee :D

Also, finally mine came in today. Looked at it, went "Fuck yeahhhh." and then put the shipping box it came in into a sealed closet.

Now the pain of deciding what I want to do with it. Keep it as a collectors item or just use the damn thing. I'm leaning towards just using it.

Oxn

Also, finally mine came in today. Looked at it, went "Fuck yeahhhh." and then put the shipping box it came in into a sealed closet.

Now the pain of deciding what I want to do with it. Keep it as a collectors item or just use the damn thing. I'm leaning towards just using it.

Why you put it back in the shipping box for?

Charadis

Congrats! Good to hear a happy ending to the story. Decisions decision. :p

Totally regret.

Wow, I would have bought that in a heartbeat, then worry about what to do later! Slickdealer rule, "Buy now, think later."

Sooo just looking up the controller for our bundles, looks like one already sold for $499. I may have to put mine back in the box

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Playstation-4-PS4-20th-Anniversary-Limited-Edition-controller-only-new-/191462330829?pt=US_Video_Game_Controllers&hash=item2c940b51cd&nma=true&si=0isuSSe7b9xN5c%252BWeOJTcN5sgCU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

TheGamer

I finally got mine a few minutes ago. I got a great number too.

KyY38PW.jpg

OWoYRdf.jpg

ItJu0z2.jpg

NateDrake

Seeing all these unboxings made my friend really angry that he cancelled his pre-order. Even more so since his PS4 just recently started to eject the disc on its own.

Mecca

Opened mine yesterday. #3882 is the number I got (not that it matters to me one way or the other, but I figured I would post it for solidarity).

Mecca

Congratulations to those of you who were able to get your hands on one (or two or three). It's been a bumpy ride, but I hope everyone feels it was well worth it. I know I do. :D

Has anyone got a number under 100 here yet?

-edit- Also if anyone wants to buy an unopened one, I am willing to meet local in the Dallas, TX area. I'll do $1,400, which is less than ebay going rates. Just pm me.

Top Bottom