• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games |OT2| Sweet XOXO for Digital to Physical Media

LQX

Got my Night Trap orders today. Great packaging but they sent me two the same covers and two of the same cards. I actually wanted the one with Dana Plato on the cover.

Ha, I did know that. Thanks.
So, what is the reason you ordered two? What is the benefit of keeping one sealed? I'm genuinely curious. Anyone can feel free to answer this, BTW.

Me? I open, play, and enjoy the games. (Okay, okay, some are still in my backlog, lol.) I don't understand why someone would order multiples, keep one/both sealed, etc. But I am curious and open to hearing yours and other perspectives on this.

Olengie

So, what is the reason you ordered two? What is the benefit of keeping one sealed? I'm genuinely curious. Anyone can feel free to answer this, BTW.

Me? I open, play, and enjoy the games. (Okay, okay, some are still in my backlog, lol.) I don't understand why someone would order multiples, keep one/both sealed, etc. But I am curious and open to hearing yours and other perspectives on this.

If it has two box arts, they would want 1 one of each to display.

Got my Night Trap orders today. Great packaging but they sent me two the same covers and two of the same cards. I actually wanted the one with Dana Plato on the cover.

If I recall, Night Trap wasn't one where it was random which cover you'd get on top. Wonder Boy and Ys offered two different covers as a possibility where as Night Trap always had the same cover up front but you could reverse it on your own.

Weevilone

Fair enough, I guess, but do you guys do this for every game with a double-sided or variant cover, or just the ones that are special to you? (Night Trap, etc.)

As long as we're exploring the unknown, I've got one that I don't understand.

Why do people value a folded poster? Any value that a poster might have went out the window the moment it was folded.

Are they just going down a checklist?
-Physical people - Check
-Variant cover people - Check
-Trading card people - Check
-OST people - Check
-Art book people - Check
-Big box people - Check
-Color manual people - Check
-Poster people - Check

Have we done little figure people? Plushie people?

Why do people value a folded poster? Any value that a poster might have went out the window the moment it was folded.
Yeah, I don't get that one either.

I also don't understand the appeal of vinyls or CDs for video game soundtracks. Very few, if any, game soundtracks are good enough to own IMO. Then again, I have a soft spot for the Streets of Rage 1 soundtrack (I don't own it though), so maybe I'm the wrong person to judge.

Weevilone

Yeah, I don't get that one either.

I also don't understand the appeal of vinyls or CDs for video game soundtracks. Very few, if any, game soundtracks are good enough to own IMO. Then again, I have a soft spot for the Streets of Rage 1 soundtrack (I don't own it though), so maybe I'm the wrong person to judge.

Oh man, I forgot about vinyl..

I guess we still have keychains to go also. Maybe they can pack in some of those variant Oreo's that Josh likes? I'd be down for some Japanese Kit Kats.

Actually, I "get" all those except the posters. I don't care about most of them, but I get it.

Oh man, I forgot about vinyl..

I guess we still have keychains to go also. Maybe they can pack in some of those variant Oreo's that Josh likes? I'd be down for some Japanese Kit Kats.

Actually, I "get" all those except the posters. I don't care about most of them, but I get it.
I think I have a couple of games with keychains, lol. I didn't buy them because of that, or pay extra even - it was just a bonus thrown in with games I was going to buy anyway. In any case, add keychains to the list of pointless "bonus swag" - but at least they're small, fun, harmless, and don't take up any extra space.

If LRG games came with Japanese flavored Kit Kats, I'd buy them all!
Just kidding...I think. Maybe.

LQX

I did not order two really. I ordered the regular edition and the CE edition. And I figured being that there were no variance in the CE edition box cover, the regular edition they sent would be the one with Dana Plato. That said, I'll be honest and say most LRG releases I buy just to collect with no intention of opening as a lot of what I have bought I have played and or already have the digital versions of and it just feel good to have a physical version of games like Shantae and Oddworld which I really like. I did plan though to open one as I have never played it and it has been on my to play list since I was a kid in the 90's.

Also, I'm not sure why some of you in same hobby of collecting also then try to downplay the aspect of having a rare item sealed and make it seem peculiar. There are many facets to collecting. And the same way some might find it peculiar some of us keep these games sealed others might find it peculiar some of you are paying $30 for game like Mutant Mudds that routinely go on sale for like $5. If rarity plays no part, save your money and buy these games dirt cheap when they go on sale.

If I recall, Night Trap wasn't one where it was random which cover you'd get on top. Wonder Boy and Ys offered two different covers as a possibility where as Night Trap always had the same cover up front but you could reverse it on your own.

No, I have the drawn cover sealed and I have seen pictures of the Dana Plato cover sealed so there is a split in which cover you can get.

Are they just going down a checklist?
-Physical people - Check
-Variant cover people - Check
-Trading card people - Check
-OST people - Check
-Art book people - Check
-Big box people - Check
-Color manual people - Check
-Poster people - Check

Have we done little figure people? Plushie people?
Funnily enough, LRG actually are running through their own checklist for collectibles. They published a brief "market research" survey back in April 2016 meant to gauge interest over a handful of categories and one of them specifically dealt with asking what type of items should be offered alongside their game library. A complete listing of the choices has been provided below and, notably, most of them have been offered at some point or another in their past two years:
  • Art Books
  • Art Prints
  • Collectible Cards
  • Collectible Figures
  • Design Documents
  • Instruction Manuals
  • Posters
  • Soundtracks (CD & Vinyl)
  • Steelbooks

No, I have the drawn cover sealed and I have seen pictures of the Dana Plato cover sealed so there is a split in which cover you can get.

Seriously? WTF?

Both WonderBoy and Ys Origin had this in their description:

Please note that which cover faces outward under the seal has been randomized during manufacturing.

Night Trap didn't and I only ordered one as a result.

Ugh, LRG's communication can be so aggravating some times. I really wish they would get better at it. They even messed up the communication for Ys Origin about the bundles.

Shizuka

I sent a reply to my old ticket regarding my missing order over five days ago and there's no answer. Do I really need to open another ticket just to get a reply?

Weevilone

Funnily enough, LRG actually are running through their own checklist for collectibles. They published a brief "market research" survey back in April 2016 meant to gauge interest over a handful of categories and one of them specifically dealt with asking what type of items should be offered alongside their game library. A complete listing of the choices has been provided below and, notably, most of them have been offered at some point or another in their past two years:
  • Art Books
  • Art Prints
  • Collectible Cards
  • Collectible Figures
  • Design Documents
  • Instruction Manuals
  • Posters
  • Soundtracks (CD & Vinyl)
  • Steelbooks

Good grief, how did I forget steelbooks?

i-Jest

Ooooohhhhhh exciting. Not on PS4 either.

So like... I can't think of anything other than Stranger. Like, EDF 207 Portable I guess, but I'm drawing blanks on literally anything else.

Other than Atelier, but I feel like they'd make a bigger deal about that.

Josh pulled off the impossible and signed The Caligula Effect.....NAAAAAHH!!!! This should really be an ongoing joke in the thread, when Vita exclusive mystery games are announced.

Clov

I'm curious as to what the Japanese game is. There's no way they localized the extra content in the Vita version of Fata Morgana that quickly, is there?

Top Bottom