• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games - Putting digital games into your hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shizuka

Probably $60 each

I don't know, $60 each would be more expensive than any other Vita game sold in the West. Still, the fact that you can pledge now and not have to worry about having to stalk Degica for news regarding the physical Vita copies after the campaign is reason enough for me to give them my money now.

...If this whole Breach & Clear ordeal wasn't reason enough to try to secure a copy when you can.

That's another thing: is it two cartridges in one box, or do you actually get 2 boxes with different box art, etc...

One cartridge in your own box, with a different cover to show the game it's included.

Just so the new page knows what we're talking about (I won't go off-topic any longer, people are welcome to talk about this in particular on its own topic):

If anyone else is super keen on limited run for Vita games, check out the Muv-Luv Kickstarter. They're offering physical Vita copies that may not be available after the campaign is over and most certainly not for the same price.

The way they are doing it is just fine. Just limit orders to 2 copies.

For people in other timezones who didn't get it...tough luck? Just do what I did, set an alarm, roll outta bed, order, roll back in.

The hype is the reason why these sold out so fast though.

Are they actually considering printing more now? I thought the main premise behind the company was a single limited print run. With that business model there will always be people that miss out on the Physical Version. Luckily, there is a digital version available. I think going back on your word on the very first release is essentially against everything they stood for and everything they have said.

I do think they tried to handle it as best they could and simply underestimated demand. They should look at ways to improve the process. If they print too many people won't be nearly as interested as a lot of sales are from Vita collectors. Too little and customers are upset when they can't get a copy. They hve to find that sweet spot on future releases, but they should avoid reprints, especially since this is the first release and reprinting it would go against what they have communicated thus far.

Edit: by improve process I mean make sure to limit to 1 or 2 copies per person (IP, Credit Card, address, etc...). Consider keeping a small number back for a second time for those that missed out, etc... They don't need to change much. Everyone knew in advance exactly when it would be available and most people weren't complaining then.

Olengie

I don't know, $60 each would be more expensive than any other Vita game sold in the West. Still, the fact that you can pledge now and not have to worry about having to stalk Degica for news regarding the physical Vita copies after the campaign is reason enough for me to give them my money now.

You're right. lol. You already know I'm backing it. xD

Just wanted to chime in on the reprint thing: Reprints are not happening. To clarify my tweet, we would've polled our actual customers about their thoughts. If they were overwhelmingly OK with a reprint, with completely different art, we would've considered it. I've never liked the idea of reprints but we're a fan driven company and if fans want something we'll always want to consider it.

The reaction here makes it very clear: No reprints, as planned. Breach & Clear on Vita is in the vault never to come out again! You all have my word.

Edit: by improve process I mean make sure to limit to 1 or 2 copies per person (IP, Credit Card, address, etc...). Consider keeping a small number back for a second time for those that missed out, etc... They don't need to change much. Everyone knew in advance exactly when it would be available and most people weren't complaining then.

Pretty much. Everyone knew in advance so they had plenty of time to plan. Yes they did say that they did not expect to sell out in a few hours but if something is limited and I wanted it, I will make time to get it right when it goes up.

Shizuka

Just wanted to chime in on the reprint thing: Reprints are not happening. To clarify my tweet, we would've polled our actual customers about their thoughts. If they were overwhelmingly OK with a reprint, with completely different art, we would've considered it. I've never liked the idea of reprints but we're a fan driven company and if fans want something we'll always want to consider it.

The reaction here makes it very clear: No reprints, as planned. Breach & Clear on Vita is in the vault never to come out again! You all have my word.

sojZJWF.gif

Varth

Doesnt seem THAT overwhelming to me. It didnt even become a real discussion yet. Anyway, its your call.

EDIT: But Id like people to consider that as long as its gonna be all about rarity and collecting there wont be a real incentive to publish physical version of good games, that I hoped would be the point in the first place. Trying to go after pub rights for Velocity 2x or any other less appealing game will be the same.

MrFortyFive

Thanks for clearing that up. Regardless of any issues with this first run, I gotta say, you guys are awesome with your communication.

Awesome news! Thanks!

Future releases will definitely have a 1 - 2 copy per household limit for at least the first 24 hours.

On a different note, a lot of people have asked for a subscription option. While we can't do exactly that due to how irregular our releases stand to be, we are considering a paid membership that will guarantee members a copy of every game should they want it. I think this is the best route to guarantee hardcore collectors won't have to battle resellers and it would help us out a bit by giving us some additional funds to get more runs underway. For reference, we're looking at making the membership a low one-time fee so don't get too worried about us trying to destroy your wallet even further.

As always, fan reaction will drive whether we implement this or not.

t26

Instead of a subscription/memebership, maybe something like pay $120 for the next 4 games. That would people know they are guarantee a copy and you have extra money to plan your next move.

Skulldead

Future releases will definitely have a 1 - 2 copy per household limit for at least the first 24 hours.

On a different note, a lot of people have asked for a subscription option. While we can't do exactly that due to how irregular our releases stand to be, we are considering a paid membership that will guarantee members a copy of every game should they want it. I think this is the best route to guarantee hardcore collectors won't have to battle resellers and it would help us out a bit by giving us some additional funds to get more runs underway. For reference, we're looking at making the membership a low one-time fee so don't get too worried about us trying to destroy your wallet even further.

Why don't you just do a pre-order of 1 month session like Monkey Paw whit Class of Heroes 2G and Summoning Night 5. They got like around 3000 copîe sold. And when it's done, it's done. No need to fight with reseller. You sell all the copies you're expecting. Everyone is happy. You miss the boat ? too bad... you had 1 month to buy it.

NDPsycho

As long as the one time fee isn't outrageous, I'd join just to cut out the stress/anxiety of securing an order. I rather like the idea, in the same vein that I back kickstarters on occasion. I'm sure some will complain, but for those of us who plan on buying whatever games you put out, I think its awesome and to be honest, we would be the ones it's geared towards anyway.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Aw man, I hope Cosmic Star Heroine doesn't go that quickly once it goes online :/

Shizuka

Aren't you looking into doing what Gaijinworks do, opening orders for a set amount of time and printing as many copies as you've sold? That should make everybody happy, even though I'm kinda turned on by the whole "X amount of copies printed beforehand, try and secure yours before it's OVER".

autoduelist

it should be theoretically possible to line up a manufacturer, line up the deal with the game makers, and then do an open preorder to get the numbers you need for a run and the money up front.

I mean if you are worried as the game maker or manufacturer that if you allow this you won't get any money if it flops, you could require a payment up front around the lines of the 1,500 games and then leave an option open to make more as needed.

the only real difference would be timing for payment vs orders received. as if they already have 1500 in their office those will obviously go out to people way faster than if they still needed to be produced.

personally I think kickstarter has proved time and time again that people are willing to wait a bit for products they want. (as long as you don't miss your product window by more than 6 months and stay in contact)

I think you wildly underestimate the amount of time, energy, and issues that go into running a small business.

Just for a small taste -- say you get in 10k orders. Prepay, obviously, since you now have to fund getting 10k printed - far more than your bank account could support. And... what happens if there's a problem between now and then? Manufacturing, delivery of inventory / damaged goods... something goes wrong... and boom, you're bankrupt, have a mob of people angry with you, and no money to fix it. Heck, what if some kink comes up and causes a 6 month delay and people start demanding their money back, but you've already paid your suppliers?

That's just one nightmare scenario of many. Figuring out your funds, doing a safe run of 1500 or so that you know you can move and proves the market, is -smart-. Sorry if that makes some people "sour" they didn't get one, but honestly, if you think there's a better solution, then all I can say is 'step up and do it'.

If this is true, I don't like that. I know that the launch was a success, but they can't get greedy to the point and bring up the possibility to backpedal their motto of "limited, no reprints" so soon. They can try again later with Breach and Clear 2, DLC or other vita games in the future.

Glad to hear they already made clear this wouldn't happen -- doing so would be a terrible idea. I used to be huge into collecting music [abstract/experimental electronic] where a lot of stuff was limited [especially side projects, etc]. You can't just print another run later, it would seriously, seriously piss off collectors. Sure, perhaps in a better world 'everyone can get a copy', but in the world of collecting, you're putting up money day 1 to secure your 1 of 100, not so you can be part of some test for demand to print another 1000 copies.

Depending on price, I would be down to pay a membership fee. I do think you need to think it through thoroughly. What do you do if you have 10,000 people sign up for a membership? Will that mean all future releases have at least that many copies to cover the membership base? Will the membership fee be offered on a limited time? Otherwise the number will continue to increase meaning you will have to increase the number of copies available for each release to meet the number of people with a membership.

Just some things to consider. Regardless, I like what I've seen and will continue to support your company.

Positive of no preorder period: The games are going to be able to be shipped quickly.

Comparing to stuff that has been happening with vinyl soundtrack releases, I'd take the limited+ instant shipping over a protracted production period.

1.5 hours is actually a decent amount of time for a limited good. It was great to know weeks in advance when the sale was happening and not like an outlet like Mondo where you are screwed unless you are on twitter all day during a potential sale.

It'd be interesting for an option of some sort of reservation subscription per year or something to guarantee a first crack at releases, but I would probably hold off until a more regular pattern of releases was established.

May16

No reprints seems silly. Like what, are people want to be all "Me me me I'm the only one that can have it"? If prices stay reasonable that's cool, but if it leads to the Limited Run store being sold out and second-hand versions being $150 on eBay, that would be dumb.

Though I fear I'm missing something and surely that's not the case, right?

No reprints seems silly. Like what, are people want to be all "Me me me I'm the only one that can have it"? If prices stay reasonable that's cool, but if it leads to the Limited Run store being sold out and second-hand versions being $150 on eBay, that would be dumb.

Though I fear I'm missing something and surely that's not the case, right?

Well...the company is called Limited Run...

May16

So is there a waiting list to sign up for stuff? I follow on Twitter but unless you check at just the right time, that's probably not enough.

I don't want scalpers to put people through the wringer on auction sites.

Decider

Three copies up on eBay for £300 already. Scummy.

Creating a demand so easily exploited by people buying copies to flip them doesn't seem like a great idea. For a game as anticipated as CSH, it's only going to lead to frustration for all but a lucky few.

Shizuka

Creating a demand so easily exploited by people buying copies to flip them doesn't seem like a great idea. For a game as anticipated as CSH, it's only going to lead to frustration for all but a lucky few.

They're already doing what they can to prevent that, without a reprint. Everybody should be happy.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason

My thoughts exactly on CSH. I'm willing to bet the farm that a minimum of 3000 will want the game, assuming that half of them might be people who backed the game (>6000)

They could have made 5000 and people would still flip the! On ebay

So is there a waiting list to sign up for stuff? I follow on Twitter but unless you check at just the right time, that's probably not enough.

I don't want scalpers to put people through the wringer on auction sites.
Plenty of ways. Just turn on alerts for Facebook and/or Twitter. I myself do Twitter alerts and set a calendar event in my Outlook for it.

In any case, they gave people PLENTY of heads up. Like many have said in here, if getting a copy was a top priority, you could have planned for it (like I and many did).

Limited product in a short time window happens all the time. I usually have to wait up until 3:30am to get a chance to snag some Japanese limited stuff.

You pretty much described the basic problem of a limited item.

We're going to be doing a significantly larger run for CSH, so I'd highly recommend not getting too worried about it. I know I said that about Breach & Clear - but I honestly never expected B&C to do so well. I went in to CSH knowing Zeboyd has a big fanbase. I've always known it would need a more significant run. We're also covering two platforms on CSH so there will be a lot to go around between Vita and PS4.

We're sticking to our guns on the set production numbers but are going to do whatever we can to make sure people have a chance to get our games. Feel free to keep suggesting potential solutions.

My primary fear about open preorders is that they would take a lot of buyers out of the system who want something "traditionally" limited. Some of the games I want to put out would never be able to garner enough preorders to justify existence. They might only get 600 or 700 people who are just interested in owning the game itself. Add in the limited component and you've suddenly doubled the people who want it. Both types of customers are needed to make physical versions of these games a reality. Take one out and we might not even be able to hit Sony's minimum order quantities for some games. I hope that doesn't sound completely insane. I don't want to intentionally position these games as reseller bait but I do strongly believe they need to be limited to be successful. They don't need to be as limited as Breach & Clear was, though. Don't expect another 1,500 run from us unless a developer specifically requests it. A 4,000 or 5,000 copy run is still limited, after all.

On a different note, I like the idea someone threw out about multiple launch times. Half at 11:30AM and the other half at 11:30PM. Every time zone would be covered fairly.

Danchi

Will PS4 games comes with manuals? I know it's not the norm with Vita games.

Would be neat to have something a little extra in them, rather than just descriptions of the controls and a few blank pages for notes that no-one uses. Some kind of Iwata Asks-style interview with insight into the development process or something.

edit: Just seen the eBay listing for the guy trying to sell them for £300 ($460) a piece. "These are very collectible and will be worth £1000+ in the future!"

Will PS4 games comes with manuals? I know it's not the norm with Vita games.

Would be neat to have something a little extra in them, rather than just descriptions of the controls and a few blank pages for notes that no-one uses. Some kind of Iwata Asks-style interview with insight into the development process or something.

edit: Just seen the eBay listing for the guy trying to sell them for £300 ($460) a piece. "These are very collectible and will be worth £1000+ in the future!"

Manuals will be up to the individual developers. Zeboyd is looking at doing full color manuals for CSH on Vita and PS4!

If CSH goes up at the same time it better last at least 7-8 hours so I can buy it when I wake up in the morning. A full 24 would be preferable obviously :p

I found your comment on exclusivity bumping up total sales interesting.

I recently gave up collecting vinyl as I was sick of getting excited for a release or finding out about a release after the fact only to realize I had no chance of securing one.

This culture of driving up profits by excluding others from enjoying a product is toxic and one I feel becomes even more counterintuitive as we move towards more media as service models. Movies, music and even games to some degree are lowering the barrier of entry so that the experience can be shared.

I wish you luck in your venture and this thread alone proves the demand is there I just don't wish to support it anymore.

I only just discovered this, how fantastic! I was just thinking today how much I'd love a physical copy of SOMA. I'm looking forward to seeing what else you guys end up printing!

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
one I feel becomes even more counterintuitive as we move towards more media as service models

The thing is, this program is the exact opposite of a move towards games as a service, it is about giving players physical goods with no expiration date. If a limit on production is needed to enable the producer of such physical copies on small titles to run at a profit, I'm completely fine with this, even though in principle I prefer it if everyone who is interested can get a game.

hawk2025

I found your comment on exclusivity bumping up total sales interesting.

I recently gave up collecting vinyl as I was sick of getting excited for a release or finding out about a release after the fact only to realize I had no chance of securing one.

This culture of driving up profits by excluding others from enjoying a product is toxic and one I feel becomes even more counterintuitive as we move towards more media as service models. Movies, music and even games to some degree are lowering the barrier of entry so that the experience can be shared.

I wish you luck in your venture and this thread alone proves the demand is there I just don't wish to support it anymore.

Ok, we need to organize thoughts here and be a little blunt, frankly.

If you want convenience, the "move towards media as service" model, no stock limits, and no chance of a secondary market -- you DON'T want limited edition physical videogames, you don't want to collect vinyl. You want to download the immediately-available games and MP3s of said music.

And that's fine! But again, this is a boutique, limited business model by definition, and it needs to play off the risks of high print runs, with the demand generated by limited products, and if you want to play this game and get into this, you need to be aware of some basic economics of how this kind of thing works: When limited products sell out, there will be a secondary market for it at a higher price. It's COMPLETELY unfair to frame it as a "culture of driving up profits by excluding others". In the perfect world where demand is easy to estimate, it is the company's best interest to NOT limit at all, and produce precisely the number that will clear the market and generate zero scalpers, but also leave no leftover stock. That's nearly impossible to do.

They can certainly try and mitigate it, try to get the print run sizes right, limit to 1 per customer, change around how/when to print and order, but ultimately it's a tough problem to solve, and they can't possibly capitulate to everyone.

The purpose of their proposition, though, has been clear from the start right on their name.

zulux21

On a different note, I like the idea someone threw out about multiple launch times. Half at 11:30AM and the other half at 11:30PM. Every time zone would be covered fairly.

two separate times would be great. while it's sometimes hard for me to get to stuff due to work and other stuff... if I have two different times to aim for I know I will have a really good shot at being there when they go for sale if I want them.

I also don't hate a one time fee to guarantee I will have a shot at future tiles without any stress as long as that fee isn't to big.

You know, now I've slept on it, although I'm miffed I never got a copy, I really can't fault everything LRG have been doing to rectify the situation. Thanks guys.

Hope the new copies don't go up when I'm sleeping on Monday, though :p

Varth

Anything beyond 1 is nonsense. There's litteraly no one who won't buy the maximum number of copies allowed to offset the cost of his own, if not to profit. It means halving print run basically.

Anyway: my point was to support you even by buying stuff I'm not particularly interested in, like if only for the hope that it would lead to games I like more getting a physical version. Don't know if that's the case anymore.

I thought the limited run was a sensible tool to help protect yourself from overprinting and fine tuning profits, but all in the interest of serving ALL customers who want a copy. Seeing the whole operation going toward preservation of "rarity" even when there's clearly more demand, rather than build a sensible way to have tailored production runs for small games saddens me. I wish you left orders open (of course with a given disclaimer) to gauge request, and planned a second run if numbers were solid. There's no shame in admitting you underestimated demand or were too conservative seeing it's your first title.

Seeing so many people adverse to a reprint only because it will drive down the price of their own copies is beyond sad already, but didn't expect you guys to run happily with it seeing the premise of it all. Could be just me missing the point in the first place, of course.

Also, let me stress again that going down this road there will be no incentive to publish good games, since demand will be driven by collection/reselling purpouses, not the actual game appeal. For me this threat alone defeats the point of the whole operation.

Also, I really wish people would stop arguing that "you were warned in advance/set alarms/gitgood". I don't want to COMPETE to buy a game.

Carnby

I missed out on the sale, and even I support Limited Run's decision to keep it limited.

Heck, I was going to buy a copy just to support the cause. It looks like Limited Run is doing just fine.

MrFortyFive

Anything beyond 1 is nonsense. There's litteraly no one who won't buy the maximum number of copies allowed to offset the cost of his own, if not to profit. It means halving print run basically.

Anyway: my point was to support you even by buying stuff I'm not particularly interested in, like if only for the hope that it would lead to games I like more getting a physical version. Don't know if that's the case anymore.

I thought the limited run was a sensible tool to help protect yourself from overprinting and fine tuning profits, but all in the interest of serving ALL customers who want a copy. Seeing the whole operation going toward preservation of "rarity" even when there's clearly more demand, rather than build a sensible way to have tailored production runs for small games saddens me. I wish you left orders open (of course with a given disclaimer) to gauge request, and planned a second run if numbers were solid. There's no shame in admitting you underestimated demand or were too conservative seeing it's your first title.

Seeing so many people adverse to a reprint only because it will drive down the price of their own copies is beyond sad already, but didn't expect you guys to run happily with it seeing the premise of it all. Could be just me missing the point in the first place, of course.

Also, let me stress again that going down this road there will be no incentive to publish good games, since demand will be driven by collection/reselling purpouses, not the actual game appeal. For me this threat alone defeats the point of the whole operation.

Also, I really wish people would stop arguing that "you were warned in advance/set alarms/gitgood". I don't want to COMPETE to buy a game.

For the second time in this thread I'm apt to agree with Varth here. If you guys are set on the one run and done model, that's perfectly fine, but it has to be done in such a way that it's a guage of actual demand and not just a magnet for scalpers.

You say on your page "We focus on bringing games that were previously only available in a digital format to a physical medium", and having the focus too much on manufactured rarity totally defeats that purpose. I know you're trying to balance that with "We believe that as collectors and consumers you should be able to trust when we say our games are limited. They are!", but that can still be done with open ways to guage interest so that prints can be catered to those who put forth a modest effort to get one.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

Ordering two seems rather fine imo, because at least if you are ordering from Europe, shipping cost is quite a huge factor, so ordering together with a friend seems better than have each order individually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom