• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games - Putting digital games into your hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shizuka

Yeah making another run of the game later wouldn't be good. People need to know that it's now or never if they want a game. You shouldn't make an exception with your very first release already.

The only issue I see is that since many people will probably want to own a complete set, so making the first game much more rare than the rest could be problematic and a disincentive. So if LRG were to announce now that they'll print another x copies and put them up as soon as possible, since demand was clearly underestimated, that would be okay I think.

The problem is that they made it pretty clear, with a good time in advance, of when, where and how much copies they'd be selling. Go back and cancel any orders over 4 copies each, but no reprint.

Wereroku

Yeah making another run of the game later wouldn't be good. People need to know that it's now or never if they want a game. You shouldn't make an exception with your very first release already.

The only issue I see is that since many people will probably want to own a complete set, so making the first game much more rare than the rest could be problematic and a disincentive. So if LRG were to announce now that they'll print another x copies and put them up as soon as possible, since demand was clearly underestimated, that would be okay I think.
I agree that in this particular case printing some more wouldn't bother me. Make 500 or 1000 more copies but who knows maybe getting copies back from the scalpers Will help a bit.

Shinriji

Which means a reprint, and I'm still not ok with it. Anyway, I hope that this tweet was made in the heat of the moment, and later realized that it was a bad idea.

The problem is that they made it pretty clear, with a good time in advance, of when, where and how much copies they'd be selling. Go back and cancel any orders over 4 copies each, but no reprint.

I agree that in this particular case printing some more wouldn't bother me. Make 500 or 1000 more copies but who knows maybe getting copies back from the scalpers Will help a bit.
I'm not really a collector, so just from my perspective it wouldn't be the end of the world. But I can understand why people are against it.

I guess we'll see what happens for now. I have no reason to doubt that they'll find a good solution that everyone is happy with.

Well then, I was refreshing the whole time I was in the gym and nowt.

I'm now worried I'm not going to get a shot at this second batch they've held back for people who were in work because... I'm going to have to go to bed in the next couple of hours in order to get up for work tomorrow, lol.

Ah well. Can only cross my fingers and hope they get something out in the next couple of hours, otherwise it looks like me and a copy of this game just aren't meant to be!

Yeah, no. I'm sorry, but if it's a "limited run", it's a limited run. Otherwise, why call it so? I'm not okay with one, particularly.

I agree, I mean lets be honest here, we didn't buy B&C because it's a rare gem, we bought it because we believe in physical media, we bought the idea and it was a success for LRG. To make reprints of this game would leave the people who actually put their money where their mouth is, sour. Its over, there can only ever be 1500 physical copies B&C at the same time in the universe.

They said on Twitter that they will be asking the community eventually if they would be ok with a reprint with a different cover for Breach & Clear, to make sure that other people have a chance, while still keeping the first run unique.

...the trouble is, I'd want to buy the one with the other cover as well :p

That makes it sound much more likely than it probably is. Here's the conversation:

LRG: "We'll never do reprints."
Someone else: "I wish you'd reconsider here. It'd still be rare if you made a 2nd run & the only ones who'd be annoyed would be scalpers."
LRG: "I think we'll poll our customers and fans in the future and get thoughts/opinions. Any re-release would have a different cover."

As someone who has talked to them a fair bit about this whole arrangement, I really don't see them doing any reprints, especially given the responses here to the mere idea.

Shizuka

That makes it sound much more likely than it probably is. Here's the conversation:

LRG: "We'll never do reprints."
Someone else: "I wish you'd reconsider here. It'd still be rare if you made a 2nd run & the only ones who'd be annoyed would be scalpers."
LRG: "I think we'll poll our customers and fans in the future and get thoughts/opinions. Any re-release would have a different cover."

As someone who has talked to them a fair bit about this whole arrangement, I really don't see them doing any reprints, especially given the responses here to the mere idea.

Good, but after a response from the company accepting the idea, I'm expecting a message from the company refuting the suggestion now. They have to come out and deny it, or else it's all people are going to talk about, instead of the positive reception of people getting their copies of B&C in the next few days.

NDPsycho

Pretty much. The window was definitely too short this time, but I wouldn't have a problem with it when every future release sells out in one day.

They're announced in advance and if you're interested you just have to keep up with the news.

Kind of disappointed that there are some negative undertones in here after this was such an amazing success.

Window was too short? You must not have bought amiibos earlier. Some lasted for seconds. Seconds...Lucina was gone on Amazon before the stock availability was able to replicate across all of their servers resulting in some people never even seeing it as available. Lasting over an hour when you announced the day and time it was going up is more than acceptable.

Time of day was never a factor for those either. Missed Target listing a pre-order at 3 in the morning? Oh well. Again, at least LRG gave the day and time. They handled this better than much larger and more experienced companies. I think it was well done.

I'd be sour if I missed out to, but I'd put the blame on myself for missing out.

As for reprints...seems to not be in line with what you were selling the game or your company as. I love the idea of open orders and filling that initial demand. But not going back on what you sold this as. Some of the reason for the quick sell out was clearly based on the low run.

Window was too short? You must not have bought amiibos earlier. Some lasted for seconds. Seconds...Lucina was gone on Amazon before the stock availability was able to replicate across all of their servers resulting in some people never even seeing it as available. Lasting over an hour when you announced the day and time it was going up is more than acceptable.

It really doesn't matter that there are companies that are much much worse. This was sold in the middle of the night for Australia and Asia and that's not acceptable.

They were selling it worldwide. It was bound to be during the night in some countries.

Not if they didn't sell out in 2 hours.
I don't think it's completely unreasonable to expect for future games to have stock that lasts at least a day so every timezone gets a fair chance

Shizuka

Except they didn't accept the idea, they politely told someone who asked that they'd look into the idea and see if people liked or disliked it. Big difference.

Enough to spark the reaction from both people that bought the game and even people that didn't but agree that it goes against what the company has been saying for the past few weeks. There isn't a lot I can add at this point, though. I already shared my two cents, I'll wait until LRG responds to the subject.

I don't think it's completely unreasonable for future gamesto have stock that lasts at least a day so every timezone gets a fair chance

Still seems difficult to measure though.

I've liked some of the other ideas in this thread better though. Stuff like 10% of stock per hour; or gauging demand before placing the order etc.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I don't think it's completely unreasonable for future gamesto have stock that lasts at least a day so every timezone gets a fair chance

Absolutely not

They really should just do two order windows in the future, 12 hours apart. Simple enough.

You should add a subscription option as I want to buy them all anyway :)

I would be down for this. If for any reason you didn't want one give an option to opt out by a certain time.

Edit: I think they should stick to the initial 1,500 copies for this title as they had said there won't be anymore printed. It was obvious to me that these would sale out quickly and I mentioned they underestimated demand. Increase future releases, or put pre-orders up for a set time, but as a new company to gain credibility I think you have to stick by what you have said this far, it won't be reprinted.

dolabla

Since time zones are different, they could have split it 750/750 at different times. That way western and eastern gamers both have a chance at getting a copy instead of doing reprints.

rjc571

Banned
Thank you sirs for doing god's work. Now get in touch with NOA and commission a retail release for Fatal Frame V, stat!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
It really doesn't matter that there are companies that are much much worse. This was sold in the middle of the night for Australia and Asia and that's not acceptable.

Check back Monday night as they'll have another 90+ copies to release during your daytime hours.

Yeah, they responded to me:

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/659852293404270592

Guess I can stop checking tonight then at least.

Also they may have freed up 200-300 copies (lol, this was a scalper's paradise it seemed):

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/659853024588886016

Check back Monday night as they'll have another 90+ copies to release during your daytime hours.

Yeah it seems they found a good solution.
The orders on monday will also be one per person

Now I just need to know what time on Monday... amazingly I'm actually off that day, so should be able to make it (unless that makes it like Tuesday morning in UK time, in which case, uff...)

They really should just do two order windows in the future, 12 hours apart. Simple enough.

This seems like a reasonable suggestion. I also think a 1 copy per person for the first 24 hours is another one worth looking into.

No matter what, I am just happy that there is a new company that is going to be making Vita carts. :D

Varth

Totally not ok with this, even If I didnt get a copy. This is not how it should be run. If run was too small do better for next game.

Honestly, after thinking about it some more, Ive come to the conclusion that another run would be a good thing. After all, the reason I was happy about this was having physical editions of more Vita games, not getting hold of some rare stuff whose value was bound to go up in time. I wouldnt be that much different from scalpers if I said otherwise. Who wants the game should be in condition to get a copy. If this means gauging interest and setting a bar for preorders to start another run its good for me. If it means the single copy wont be valuable in time, honestly I dont care at all. It shouldnt be about this.

Honestly, after thinking about it some more, Ive come to the conclusion that another run would be a good thing. After all, the reason I was happy about this was having physical editions of more Vita games, not getting hold of some rare stuff whose value was bound to go up in time. I wouldnt be that much different from scalpers if I said otherwise. Who wants the game should be in condition to get a copy. If this means gauging interest and setting a bar for preorders to start another run its good for me. If it means the single copy wont be valuable in time, honestly I dont care at all. It shouldnt be about this.

For me, I really love the rarity aspect of this idea. I like that in this era of unlimited access and availability that there are some things that are rare. At 1500 units, this game will be incredibly rare and something that remains special. :)

noquarter

Didn't get a copy and would like to, but I don't like the idea of reprints. The company name is Limited Run Games, not Games To Order So That Everyone Has One That Wants One.

Giving a time and date and also limiting orders to no more than 1 or 2 for the first 24-48 hours seems plenty reasonable. Sure I won't be able to get a copy of every game I want this way, but at least there should be a chance. Also, since it is low key enough wouldn't mind seeing numbered copies and keeping an eye on eBay or whatever to remove scalpers from the list. There is a record seller that I've bought from that does this if he sees anybody selling afterwards on eBay that bought more than one copy. Little harder to work, but keeps the releases free for people that actually want them.

MrFortyFive

I'm apt to agree with this. They are indeed going to need to better guage interest as time goes on and keep things limited with a name like Limited Run Games, but above all else it should be about giving physical forms to games that wouldn't otherwise have the chance. Hopefully keeping copies down to one per person and the stock they cleared up to sell will help with leftover demand at least.

Shizuka

If anyone else is super keen on limited run for Vita games, check out the Muv-Luv Kickstarter. They're offering physical Vita copies that may not be available after the campaign is over and most certainly not for the same price.

Oh crap, forgot this was happening.

The next 90 copies will be up on Monday 1st? Dunno if I'll be able to grab one then either but will certainly try.

Shizuka

Those copies are $80 a pop. How much can they realistically ask for them after the campaign?

It's two cartridges for the trilogy (first and second on one cartridge, third on another). It'd be $40 for each, which is the standard price for a Vita title, but you also get digital copies with that, which is even better. My guess is that they'll offer it for $50 each after the Kickstarter, with limited availability, with no digital codes.

This is physical + digital for three games

I know, but how much more can they ask after the campaign for physical only copies?

It's two cartridges for the trilogy (first and second on one cartridge, third on another). It'd be $40 for each, which is the standard price for a Vita title, but you also get digital copies with that, which is even better. My guess is that they'll offer it for $50 each after the Kickstarter, with limited availability, with no digital codes.

That's another thing: is it two cartridges in one box, or do you actually get 2 boxes with different box art, etc...

Olengie

Probably $60 each

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom