• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games - Putting digital games into your hands

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. I'm not doing anything remotely like what you're suggesting.
2. I, like others asked in this thread if anyone was going if they could pick up a copy, i wasn't aware of the other thread, but I'd imagine that wouldn't amount to anything anyway. If it does work out for someone, that's pretty cool.
3. You're being as hostile in each of your last three replies as anyone else here has.
1) I was using the general form of "you," not you specifically.
2) It's not entirely fair to say that it "wouldn't amount to anything anyway" when you didn't even try.
3) Definitely not my intention to be hostile. The tone, as I wrote it, had no emotions behind it.

Okay, riddle me this. Those that are unhappy there's a variant, what's the ideal scenario that would have made you happy? Considering all other facts remain.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Per Josh's tweets Axiom Verge is not ever coming. And not due to business issues, but rather personal reasons...
Very strange.

NDPsycho

2) It's not entirely fair to say that it "wouldn't amount to anything anyway" when you didn't even try.
3) Definitely not my intention to be hostile. The tone, as I wrote it, had no emotions behind it.

Okay, riddle me this. Those that are unhappy there's a variant, what's the ideal scenario that would have made you happy? Considering all other facts remain.

I would have been happier with a better split between online and con. 150 for online is silly. The online customers will far outweigh those in attendance.

I also wish they had moved forward with their founders club ideas. Or some presale opportunities like best buy does for elite members. Complete collectors have sent a considerable amount of money LRGs way. People who where there from the beginning have helped them grow. They often say that without the first releases, they wouldn't have been able to fund subsequent titles. I guess thats heading into entitled territory, though usually entitled carries with it the belief that you deserve something for nothing and thats not really what I'm getting at.

In any regard, I understand the need to grow and find new customers. I just wish that long time customers were treated as well.

I still love that they exist. They genuinely seem to care and I'm not directing anything at them or their character. I'm not trying to drive them away. I just was wish i could have been able to be there myself. Jealously is a bitch no matter how you try to present it :)

Wereroku

They could have made more then just 150 copies available to online users. If they made it 1000/1000 they could have made even more money and called it a PSX celebration edition. Would have given people who couldn't attend a decent chance of getting one.

I would have been happier with a better split between online and con. 150 for online is silly. The online customers will far outweigh those in attendance.

I also wish they had moved forward with their founders club ideas. Or some presale opportunities like best buy does for elite members. Complete collectors have sent a considerable amount of money LRGs way. People who where there from the beginning have helped them grow. They often say that without the first releases, they wouldn't have been able to fund subsequent titles. I guess thats heading into entitled territory, though usually entitled carries with it the belief that you deserve something for nothing and thats not really what I'm getting at.

In any regard, I understand the need to grow and find new customers. I just wish that long time customers were treated as well.

I still love that they exist. They genuinely seem to care and I'm not directing anything at them or their character. I'm not trying to drive them away. I just was wish i could have been able to be there myself. Jealously is a bitch no matter how you try to present it :)

The founder's club thing was probably never under serious consideration because it would kill the scalpers market. The highest whales on the collectible market are the ones that would have joined the club so the resell values would be much lower. Who knows though I decided to stop collecting them all and have been pretty happy since.

t26

For those keeping track, list of 'no' so far:

Axiom Verge
Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water
Caligula
Yakuza 5 (or most PS3 games for that matter)

Clov

Axiom Verge
Caligula

I knew it was a long shot, but Fatal Frame is for sure not happening? Also, Caligula isn't happening either? I thought Atlus wanted to work something out with them.

NDPsycho

Axiom Verge
Caligula

Yakuza 5 still hurts the most. To have the whole series physical here but that one game still sucks. Props for them trying, boo to Sega for making the shelf incomplete.

I'd agree with others, there's got to be something in the works for axiom already, it's got too much going for it to not see some kind of release.

Clive

I knew it was a long shot, but Fatal Frame is for sure not happening? Also, Caligula isn't happening either? I thought Atlus wanted to work something out with them.
https://twitter.com/LimitedRunDoug/status/801170065970384897

I bit the bullet and imported Fatal Frame this week from Europe. At least that one had a print in English unlike Caligula and Yakuza 5. Not like I'm gonna take my Wii U online again so might as well make it region free.

Clive

Where did you find it online? Thought it was sold out ages ago

If you're willing to pay a little over $100 USD on eBay then you can still find new copies online. Maybe a little cheaper if you wait for an auction or deal. Sucks but that's how it is. Feels like this one was rare day 1 so it might not come down in price either and a reprint of this niche game by Nintendo now that the Wii U is discontinued feels unlikely.

And that is reason enough for you to keep repeating yourself?
Do you think that it helps anybody to see you post about how LRG "rubbed you the wrong way"?

You shouldn't answer my questions, because I already know what you are gonna say.

Every time I "kept repeating myself" was in response to self-righteous people such as yourself, who - as you made clear in above quote - aren't really interested in what anyone has to say anyway. But nevertheless can't stop themselves from telling other people what they should do.

So: thank you very much, good Sir, for telling me not to answer your questions. I will take it under consideration.*

Seriously, you need to read this to know the answer?

Semoreh

Axiom Verge
Caligula

It really is a pity for Axiom Verge. I hope they end up changing their mind.

I second Windjammers. We need more local multiplayer games going physical :)

test_account

XP-39C²

Axiom Verge
Caligula
Was there any reason to do Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water? That game already got a physical release in Japan and PAL regions. I know that it didnt get a physical copy in the US (and WiiU is region locked), but i hope that LRG focus on games that are digital only everywhere and bring those to physical, region free.

Was there any reason to do Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water? That game already got a physical release in Japan and PAL regions. I know that it didnt get a physical copy in the US (and WiiU is region locked), but i hope that LRG focus on games that are digital only everywhere and bring those to physical, region free.

Games getting a physical release in Japan don't really mean much since they're not in English. It's why they're trying to go after Atelier for one, people want a physical English release, of which there is none. It's (Sony) games that get EU or Asian English prints that are pretty redundant since people can just import them and they'll be the same thing that LRG would be able to get. If they stuck to games that never got a physical release in the first place, regardless of region/language, then they would basically only be doing indies. Japan alone gets physical releases for damn near everything that isn't a Western indie, but people don't want physical Japanese language games because well....they're in Japanese.

As for Nintendo games getting physical releases, we've already been told that they most likely will not happen due to the minimum print size that Nintendo requires. There's also no way to make Nintendo games region free, so no matter what, some region would get screwed on them.

I wouldn't mind regional releases for games that are region locked. Everything that's done against region locking is a-ok with me.

I hope this won't be an issue going forward though..

test_account

XP-39C²
Games getting a physical release in Japan don't really mean much since they're not in English. It's why they're trying to go after Atelier for one, people want a physical English release, of which there is none. It's (Sony) games that get EU or Asian English prints that are pretty redundant since people can just import them and they'll be the same thing that LRG would be able to get. If they stuck to games that never got a physical release in the first place, regardless of region/language, then they would basically only be doing indies. Japan alone gets physical releases for damn near everything that isn't a Western indie, but people don't want physical Japanese language games because well....they're in Japanese.

As for Nintendo games getting physical releases, we've already been told that they most likely will not happen due to the minimum print size that Nintendo requires. There's also no way to make Nintendo games region free, so no matter what, some region would get screwed on them.
Yeah, i agree to that, i didnt think too much about it. A game being in japanese only, i wouldnt mind having an english version of that physically. I guess i was thinking too much about Fatal Frame since that also go a physical english release as well.

I wouldn't mind regional releases for games that are region locked. Everything that's done against region locking is a-ok with me.

I wouldnt really mind that either, its just that i hope they rather go with a game that hasnt seen a physical version in english, if theres a choice between those things.

Where did you find it online? Thought it was sold out ages ago

It's still available in stores over here. €35 for used, €60 (= RRP) for new. Saw a used one earlier this week when I went to pick up a Vita game, but when I check the store's website, they still have new stock in some of their outlets across the country apparently.

It's still available in stores over here. €35 for used, €60 (= RRP) for new. Saw a used one earlier this week when I went to pick up a Vita game, but when I check the store's website, they still have new stock in some of their outlets across the country apparently.

Which store btw? Is this the steelbook edition?

ephemeral

Axiom Verge
Caligula

Axiom Verge is probably my most wanted game. What's the disadvantage of releasing it physically? I don't get it.

Axiom Verge is probably my most wanted game. What's the disadvantage of releasing it physically? I don't get it.

"Personal reasons" is all we have gotten so far. We might get more of an explanation later, but it's probably safe to assume it's not insignificant reasoning as they were after it for a year before stopping.

Per Josh's tweets Axiom Verge is not ever coming. And not due to business issues, but rather personal reasons...
Very strange.

Tom Happ stole Josh's gf confirmed.

Anyway, since Dan Adelman handled Retro City Rampage and Shovel Knight among others, and is also handling Axiom Verge, maybe we'll see a Fangamer release or something eventually.

Safe to say that anything digital only that is Xseed related probably will not see a physical print from LRG anytime soon. This was in reply to Exile's End:

.Josh//Fairhurst ‏@LimitedRunJosh 5m5 minutes ago
@DiagnoseTot Nope, we tried. Xseed has no desire to work with us. :(

Guess it's a good thing that the Ys Origin port isn't related to them :p.

titoes4

Neo Member
Curious. I was looking through the "Sold-Out" games and noted that the PS4 version of Skullgirls does not have "Sold-Out" indicator (that is present for the Vita). Wonder if there are additional copies that may become available. I am regretting not preordering it and curious if anyone has any thoughts.

ephemeral

I would expect delays for Skull Girls

There are always delays

Josh said he won't release Axiom Verge for personal reasons, but didn't elaborate further

"Personal reasons" is all we have gotten so far. We might get more of an explanation later, but it's probably safe to assume it's not insignificant reasoning as they were after it for a year before stopping.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it'll never happen then, what a shame.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Yeah, he replied to me saying "Yep, would have loved to release it but just couldn't do at this point even if we were asked to." link
Who knows.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Safe to say that anything digital only that is Xseed related probably will not see a physical print from LRG anytime soon. This was in reply to Exile's End:

Guess it's a good thing that the Ys Origin port isn't related to them :p.

It could be because XSEED is a middle-man publisher of sorts, and they would still need to clear it with the companies they've worked with, which might not be ok with it.

Semoreh

Have they ever stated what was the minimal run size for Nintendo games ?
I've just finished Ace Attorney 5 and the ending twists were jaw-dropping. I can't rest until I own this fine game physically *_*

I've just finished Ace Attorney 5 and the ending twists were jaw-dropping. I can't rest until I own this fine game physically *_*

Not that I've seen. Only thing they've said is that both Nintendo and Microsoft have minimum print requirements that are larger than what Sony requires.

I'm not sure about LRG's discussions with Nintendo, but I can tell you that as of a few years ago, Nintendo allowed Jason Rohner to do 6,000 copies of a DS game that he used a Kickstarter campaign to finance, including 1,000 of those with a variant cover. He has almost 3500 copies left by the way. I've also heard of publishers doing as few as 7500 copies on 3DS games, so it's certainly more than a typical LRG run, but not crazy assuming Nintendo is still reasonable (which they may not be).

mollipen

Latest Fatal Frame was a huge pile of garbage, so absolutely nothing of value has been lost. That game deserves to exist less, not more.

And I know people disagree, but I think stuff like Windjammers is a waste of time. My love for the Neo Geo runs long and deep, but that's the kind of smaller-experience game that will always feel better suited to just being a digital-only title for me. Like, I'm not pushing for the Atelier Vita games to get physical releases (even though I'd buy them all because I do play the series), but I totally understanding wanting those physically, because they "feel" like retail-release games. Windjammers, on the other hand, only makes sense to me as a solo physical release if we're talking AES carts.

I'm not sure about LRG's discussions with Nintendo, but I can tell you that as of a few years ago, Nintendo allowed Jason Rohner to do 6,000 copies of a DS game that he used a Kickstarter campaign to finance, including 1,000 of those with a variant cover. He has almost 3500 copies left by the way.

Is that Diamond Mines? I finally told myself to hurry and get a copy before they became impossible to find, but if that's the game, I guess I didn't need to be in such a rush. *heh*

Semoreh

Not that I've seen. Only thing they've said is that both Nintendo and Microsoft have minimum print requirements that are larger than what Sony requires.

It would be interesting to know ! Now that they can reliably sell 10k+ units of bigger games, maybe the minimum print appears more reasonable ?
Of course there is this problematic region-lock, but I'd be more than happy to buy AA5 even if I can't play it on my PAL console right away ^^

I'm not sure about LRG's discussions with Nintendo, but I can tell you that as of a few years ago, Nintendo allowed Jason Rohner to do 6,000 copies of a DS game that he used a Kickstarter campaign to finance, including 1,000 of those with a variant cover. He has almost 3500 copies left by the way. I've also heard of publishers doing as few as 7500 copies on 3DS games, so it's certainly more than a typical LRG run, but not crazy assuming Nintendo is still reasonable (which they may not be).

So there's definitely hope then ! I hope Josh or Doug would clarify this a bit, and explain what would be necessary to make it happen =)

Also, off topic :
I've noticed preorders for Soldner X-2 were still up, even though they're only releasing 3000. I wonder why they're not selling this out... are people simply not aware of this re-release ?

Jimm

Rumours seem to be pointing towards the Switch being region free. My god I hope that's true.

Clive

I don't think there really are that many Wii U and 3DS digital-only games that could warrant 7,500 copies per platform to be honest except ones that are either already on PS4/Vita, which would be easier for LRG, or out of reach because they are from specialized publishers such as Nintendo or Capcom. Might not be worth risking and LRG has no existing fanbase there, even if many of us use both Nintendo and Sony consoles (plus others).

mollipen

What are you talking about, the Wii U game was great! I know I really enjoyed it.

As a big fan of the series, I don't know, I thought the game was just horrible. Terrible level designs, encounters that were frustrating instead of fun, boring exploration, etc. Also, the camera aiming was awful, and what I thought would work by using the GamePad did not at all work.

To be fair, I didn't play through the whole thing, because I honestly couldn't stand to. I played for like four hours and was miserable the entire time.

But, I mean, I've seen people who say that they enjoyed Final Fantasy XV's Chapter 13, so there's always people out there who like something you can't believe can be liked. :D

Shizuka

As a big fan of the series, I don't know, I thought the game was just horrible. Terrible level designs, encounters that were frustrating instead of fun, boring exploration, etc. Also, the camera aiming was awful, and what I thought would work by using the GamePad did not at all work.

To be fair, I didn't play through the whole thing, because I honestly couldn't stand to. I played for like four hours and was miserable the entire time.

But, I mean, I've seen people who say that they enjoyed Final Fantasy XV's Chapter 13, so there's always people out there who like something you can't believe can be liked. :D

It wasn't as great as the previous titles, but I enjoyed it for what it was. The only issue I had with the game is the weird terminology they used and I never got my head around what everything meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom