• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games - Putting digital games into your hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesac68

Banned
Aqua Kitty PS4, no problems. Oxenfree, on the other hand, did the In Cart, Out of Stock dance for 20 minutes before I gave up. Trying again tonight, of course. That was an insanely fast sell-out!

Dividing up the sales in 2 parts is, apart from the whole concept of doing limited physical releases, LRG's best business decision so far.

Takes away a lot of the pressure for customers. Never had to come back to the 2nd "shift" myself, but it's reassuring to know that there is one.

Jimm

Dividing up the sales in 2 parts is, apart from the whole concept of doing limited physical releases, LRG's best business decision so far.

Takes away a lot of the pressure for customers. Never had to come back to the 2nd "shift" myself, but it's reassuring to know that there is one.

Definitely. This is the first time I've had to go for the second allotment, I'm kicking myself for missing the first but it's so relieving to know I can try again.
With current Australian daylight savingsit makes the first batch 2am instead of 1am, makes a big difference with sleep deprivation haha

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Holy crap, I forgot again!

But luckily I had just picked up my computer to do something else and I had the LRG tab open which quickly reminded me. It was about 3 mins after the hour, but I got the order in.
Phew!

hawk2025

GOT 'EM.

LRG will give me a heart attack one day :p

These consecutive morning misses due to internet connection problems are harrowing!

Jamesac68

Banned
Round 2's attempt at Oxenfree is a win! :D

Looks like the evening shift is lasting twice as long as morning. Might even make 8 minutes of availability, maybe.

emb

Snagged both this round.

This is (I think?) the first time I've been too slow in round 1 and had to hope for second wave luck. Was worried when I didn't get here until 6:05.

Lemstar

Has something changed with shipping in the last month? $5.50 for shipping on a package with one game seems a bit higher than what I'd have expected, even with this week's increase to USPS postage.

shinkai

After such a long time of doing this my collection is now incomplete! Was busy working and forgot about the 5:00pm release... Was able to get Oxenfree and Aqua Kitty on PS4 but missed out the Vita version of Aqua Kitty.... Looks like I'll have to pick it up second hand down the road somewhere :/

OverQ

Managed to get my Oxenfree in the second batch although a bit annoyed they reduced the limit to 1 per customer since I wanted to pick up 2 copies and international shipping is $15 regardless, oh well.

The_Kid

I don't know if anyone has tried it, but is it possible to message them and see if you can switch the type of protector case you get? I wanted to order the ps vita and accidentally ordered the ps4 of aqua kitty, and now have the wrong case >.>

I didn't even realize it until after the order completed.

I don't know if anyone has tried it, but is it possible to message them and see if you can switch the type of protector case you get? I wanted to order the ps vita and accidentally ordered the ps4 of aqua kitty, and now have the wrong case >.>

I didn't even realize it until after the order completed.

You might get lucky, or unlucky, and they'll send you the one you want.

Both times I've ordered the correct protector case, I've received the opposite case.

Shit. Thanks to a busy work day I missed Aqua Kitty. It was one of the few games I wanted. If anyone happens to have a Vita one they want to sell please hit me up. Thanks a ton!

Jimm

Really happy to have grabbed the games today at the second time. Really keen to play Oxenfree some workmates swear by it and love it.

EmiPrime

Glad that I got Firewatch and Oxenfree. Hate that I have to buy two copies of each so that I can sell one of each to make it all affordable. Not LRG's fault, just sucks that with customs fees, international shipping and the weak £, these games cost 3x what people in the US pay for them.

Missed Oxenfree because I really couldn't afford it this time >_< (had to pay Switch up front).

Oh well...

I don't get why stores do that tbh, when people got (cheaper!) alternatives like Amazon to choose from for the Switch. Sure, they got the Switch money in early (a sale with a small profit margin no doubt), but in the process they might lose a lot of people's business.

kubus

I don't get why stores do that tbh, when people got (cheaper!) alternatives like Amazon to choose from for the Switch. Sure, they got the Switch money in early (a sale with a small profit margin no doubt), but in the process they might lose a lot of people's business.
To be fair I had two pre-orders for which I didn't have to pay up front (Amazon and a in-store pre-order at a retailer) but ultimately cancelled those and went with my third pre-order, at the My Nintendo Store, which did charge immediately. It sucks, but in return I get a customized Switch and some other bonuses.

I never pre-order at stores that take money up front unless there is no other way to get that specific item (like with LRG :p). I agree, it's a surefire way to lose a lot of customers :/.

Shizuka

LRG could open the holding service once a month. Whenever it was the first release of the month with both PS4 and Vita releases, open holding service for that particular run.

For reference, we're looking to start sending international customers to places like Via Box (https://www.viabox.com/) or Bundle Box. Having more than 200 held orders in any run is too disruptive to our shipping pipeline and will negatively impact shipping speeds for all customers. Directing customers to third-party consolidation services makes significantly more sense.

Shizuka

For reference, we're looking to start sending international customers to places like Via Box (https://www.viabox.com/) or Bundle Box. Having more than 200 held orders in any run is too disruptive to our shipping pipeline and will negatively impact shipping speeds for all customers. Directing customers to third-party consolidation services makes significantly more sense.

Wouldn't that increase costs for international customers?

Wouldn't that increase costs for international customers?

No, they give you a domestic address so you'd pay domestic rates on each order ($5.50 per parcel). Viabox can ship to most countries for ~$15, so you'd save by the second order. They can hold parcels free of fees for up to 90 days. If you're willing to wait you could consolidate three months of releases under one shipping fee. Plus, it's much easier and more straightforward than our process. Everything would be visualized in your Viabox account.

It's not that straightforward for everyone.
In the $15 international shipping fee VAT is included now.
If those forwarding services don't do that, you'd paid heaps of VAT and fees on your combined packages if you live in Europe for example.

Edit: from their FAQ

Do quoted shipping rates include Import Duties and Taxes?

While our shipping rates include all shipping and handling costs, you may still be responsible for certain Import Duties and Taxes levied against your shipment by your country. Viabox is not responsible for any delays in shipping associated with customs difficulties. For more information, we suggest contacting your local customs office.

https://www.viabox.com/faq.php

Shizuka

I get it if the holding system doesn't work as well as we all hoped it would, but I'm rather adverse to change when it comes to other companies shipping your stuff, as while it has been growing pains, you guys have learned a lot and have international shipping almost to a T.

test_account

XP-39C²
How can you avoid paying VAT and taxes? I mean, if the package exceed the import limit, i've never heard that anything can be done about that (besides lowering the value written on the package of course). Thats why i always order all games in seperate orders from LRG. Its cheaper to pay $15 for shipping each game than combining them and then pay VAT and import fees.

How can you avoid paying VAT and taxes? I mean, if the package exceed the import limit, i've never heard that anything can be done about that (besides lowering the value written on the package of course). Thats why i always order all games in seperate orders from LRG. Its cheaper to pay $15 for shipping each game than combining them and then pay VAT and import fees.

Assuming you're in Europe: VAT is due on any LRG package, friend. So there is no point in shipping games separately.

The treshold for charging VAT is &#8364;22 in mainland Europe and £15 in the UK.
Customs looks at the total value of the package, not just the value of the content it's holding. Which means that any LRG package is worth at least $40 to customs ($24.99 + $15 shipping), and thus VAT is always due.

test_account

XP-39C²
Assuming you're in Europe: VAT is due on any LRG package, friend. So there is no point in shipping games separately.

The treshold for charging VAT is €22 in mainland Europe and £15 in the UK.
Customs looks at the total value of the package, not just the value of the content it's holding. Which means that any LRG package is worth at least $40 to customs ($24.99 + $15 shipping), and thus VAT is always due.
Sure, i'm just wondering regarding Viabox. It doesnt seem to be any worse than any other shipping in regards to VAT, because that would be there regardless. The only advantage for it is to save on shipping, unless i'm misundersting something?

Where i live, the import limit is ~€40 (that includes the shipping as well, so if something cost €40 and €5 in shipping (€45 total), its 25% VAT added. It was €22 before though, but it changed last year.

So, I've been out of the loop for a while since nothing I was interested in was releasing, then I happened to stumble upon finding out that The Swapper is this Friday. Good job I did, because that's among my most anticipated releases!

I'm guessing The Swindle hasn't been confirmed yet and the Japanese game hasn't been revealed either, right?

Also, the hold service on the website says "sold out" so I'm guessing that didn't work out and I won't be able to use it with Swapper, right?

(also re. VAT, I had to pay customs charges when I ordered Shovel Knight but didn't have to pay anything for any LRG release, so please keep doing what you're doing <3)

Drain You

Just got an update email from LRG regarding The Silver Case, nothing I really didn't know from checking her and on Twitter but glad to here there's a solid release timeline now. Lste February is when the will start shipping. Can't wait.

my friend got me an order for neon switch at best buy because amazon hadnt listed it yet then. i missed the amazon neon switch but BB charged him. What's my alternative for neon switch now? ugh.

Also looking forward to The Swapper. I;ll get 2 Vita copies. Unless they are doing PS4 Only, I will always get Vita.

Semoreh

Sure, i'm just wondering regarding Viabox. It doesnt seem to be any worse than any other shipping in regards to VAT, because that would be there regardless. The only advantage for it is to save on shipping, unless i'm misundersting something?

Where i live, the import limit is ~&#8364;40 (that includes the shipping as well, so if something cost &#8364;40 and &#8364;5 in shipping (&#8364;45 total), its 25% VAT added. It was &#8364;22 before though, but it changed last year.

I don't understand what you're talking about you two. Isn't VAT prepaid with LRG games anyway ?

Also, the hold service on the website says "sold out" so I'm guessing that didn't work out and I won't be able to use it with Swapper, right?
Victim of its success ^^

I don't understand what you're talking about you two. Isn't VAT prepaid with LRG games anyway ?

I don't get it too, I thought customs are already pre -paid always with lrg, does that change with the combined shipping?

VAT is pre-paid for LRG orders indeed. Not entirely sure if that goes for all countries, but it is for many.

Which means any deal through a forwarding service that doesn't offer pre-paid VAT would be a worse deal, even if it would save you a couple of $ on shipping. Any saving on shipping would be immediately negated by the administrative fees charged by postal services we all get to pay in our home countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom