• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linkin Park - The Hunting Party |OT| Where are the carnivores?

Status
Not open for further replies.
nlknnVj.png

lGaYGjp.png

LP Association said:
The Hunting Party is the upcoming sixth studio album released by Linkin Park. The album, self-produced by band members Mike Shinoda and Brad Delson, will be released by Warner Bros. and Machine Shop on June 13, 2014. The album is the second by the band (after 2007's Minutes to Midnight) not to be recorded at the NRG Recording Studios and is the first album since Meteora not to be produced with Rick Rubin, who produced the band's previous three studio albums.

The Hunting Party represents a shift from the electronic rock sound of the band's previous two studio albums, offering instead a heavier hard rock sound reminiscent of their first two studio albums, Hybrid Theory and Meteora. The album, described by Mike Shinoda as simply "a rock record", serves a statement by the band against contemporary mainstream and active rock bands, accused by Shinoda as "trying to be other bands and playing it safe". Packaged by an artwork by Brandon Parvini based off an original drawing by James Jean, the album took under a year to record and produce, with material being improvisationally written in the studio by members of the band. The album also features guest appearances from Page Hamilton of Helmet, Rakim, Daron Malakian of System of a Down, and Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine; the band's first featured musicians on a studio album. Read more.

Mike Shinoda said:
We're not eighteen-year-old kids making a loud record – we're thirty-seven-year-old adults making a loud record. And what makes a thirty-seven-year-old angry is different than what made us angry back in the day. Read more.

Mike Shinoda said:
Where are the carnivores? At the end of the day, it will never be about one song, one album, or one band. A movement requires leaders who are restless, brave, and fucking disruptive. I’m in the studio right now. I’m looking for ways to do it myself. I hope my peers and their fans are as well, because it’s the only way we’ll be able to force Pigeons and Planes to write a post called:

“Everything But Rock Sucks Right Now and It’s Depressing.”

Read more.

KjpyJeB.png

1. Keys to the Kingdom
2. All for Nothing (featuring Page Hamilton)
3. Guilty All the Same (featuring Rakim)
4. The Summoning
5. War
6. Wastelands
7. Until It's Gone
8. Rebellion (featuring Daron Malakian)
9. Mark the Graves
10. Drawbar (featuring Tom Morello)
11. Final Masquerade
12. A Line in the Sand

Album length: 45 minutes

*links lead to official lyric videos from the Linkin Park channel on Youtube.

Stream the whole album on iTunes: US, International

Music Videos

Until it's gone

8vGuEEA.png

tS0BaEp.jpg

vkMzJl0.png

Altwire said:
If you’re looking for a truly blistering and full throttle hard rock experience, you need not look any further than The Hunting Party. Linkin Park have made an honest statement with this record, and while it may be hard to believe this is the same band, believe the hype: this is Linkin Park at their technical finest. 8/10

Read full review.

Metal Hammer said:
Linkin Park will release their sixth studio album The Hunting Party on June 16, and the LA sextet have been promising fans a collection of songs darker and heavier than anything they've previously recorded.

"We're not 18-year-old kids making a loud record, we're 37-year-old adults making a loud record,” co-vocalist Mike Shinoda recently noted, also stating that The Hunting Party is inspired by artists such as Refused, Helmet and At The Drive-In.

We now have the album, and we can examine those bold claims in more detail. Here's our track-by-track guide to The Hunting Party.

Read track by track review.

Sputnik Music said:
Overall, Linkin Park put forth a valiant effort to try and steal back some of their youth and vitality, however too much quite simply does not work. The attempt to try and balance the two disparate bands that they’ve been creates a disjointed listen. The Hunting Party is clearly a step in the right direction for a band that had lost something over the years, but when they had very little choice but to go up, it doesn’t instill a ton of confidence. If Linkin Park had possibly tried a more mature approach, then more credit would be given their way, but at the end of the day trying to mash together one outdated approach with another does not birth innovation. Linkin Park may eventually prove everyone wrong, but the window is closing fast, and trying to prop it open with Hybrid Theory riffs won’t work. 2/5. Read full review

New Zealand Herald said:
Yep, get your Hybrid Theory T-shirts washed and ready to wear, because it seems it's okay to like Linkin Park again. 4/5. Read full review

1aVysv0.png

3WzwCeD.png

Oersted

We're not eighteen-year-old kids making a loud record – we're thirty-seven-year-old adults making a loud record. And what makes a thirty-seven-year-old angry is different than what made us angry back in the day.

Being rejected?

12 tracks at 45 minutes... That works out, right?

Best Buy in the U.S. has a version with an older concert on DVD. I'm considering getting that one, but there's also the LP online-exclusive set...

Rebellion is my favorite, can't wait for the rest.

Just listened to it. I like it. Although, my one gripe is that the chorus seems to be lacking a bit in emotion or something. I like all of the songs released from the new album so far.

I might be going against the grain here but I rather not have Linkin Park completely return to their old sound. I kinda like them exploring new sounds. I've went and to listened to Hybrid Theory and Meteora a while back and, while I loved the music from both, the lyrics haven't aged very well. I would have to say my most disliked album from them is Minutes to Midnight.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I loved their last album, but everything I've heard from this album has been disappointing to me, honestly.

Toa TAK

Banned
I'll be there on the 17th.

Enjoyed their last album as well. I think the only one I didn't care much for was Minutes to Midnight, but even then I wouldn't consider it bad at all.

NotLiquid

Rebellion literally sounds like a Chop Suey-lite :lol

Replace Mike/Chester vocals with Serj vocals and you get a SOAD B-Side

Which song will be in the new Transfomers movie? :D

Until It's Gone is the only one that sounds like it fits with the "epic ballad" direction the Transformers movies usually take

I don't really listen to them anymore, but buy their albums out of habit.

But their gig in Bangkok about 7 years ago was one of the best concerts ive been to, the crowd was amazing. Such a great experience deserves to be rewarded every so often by buying their album.

NotLiquid

I don't really listen to them anymore, but buy their albums out of habit.

But their gig in Bangkok about 7 years into was one of the best concerts ive been to, the crowd was amazing. Such a great experience deserves to be rewarded every so often by buying their album.

Say what you will about Linkin Park's music, their shows are goddamn ace.

I saw them in Denmark a while back when they toured for A Thousand Suns, they've got a ton of energy to them and put some interesting and unexpected spins to their music (extending the outro to Numb and combining it with a beautiful interlude featuring The Radiance was awesome).

Best parts so far are "Guilty All The Same" and "Rebellion". Wastelands and the other tune sound "safe" and uninspired.

Holy cow at the "One Step Closer" inspired part in "Rebellion"!

Omni

A bit controversial but I liked A Thousand Suns much more than what I've heard of this so far. It was different and all the songs were enjoyable

If those previews are anything to go by I don't think I'll be picking this one up

Ristlager

So I am the weird guy who really like their three last albums. And not so much the ones before that. And I didn't know they had an album out this month. So that was a nice surprice. Liked what I heard of guilty, so this will be bought day one.

Manu

Album's taking longer than usual to leak. Albums usually leak over a week before release.

Not really, the only reason Living Things leaked earlier was because of a human error.

They posted a link on their Facebook saying "the full album will stream here next week!" and the link already worked lol

Rebellion is definitely my favorite of the four. Daron Malakian definitely left his mark on that song and the drums are straight out of Chop Suey. Until Its Gone would for sure be the Transformers song if Imagine Dragons hadn't taken over that gig. The other two are decent, so I'll give the rest a listen.

Mononoke

Banned
A bit controversial but I liked A Thousand Suns much more than what I've heard of this so far. It was different and all the songs were enjoyable

If those previews are anything to go by I don't think I'll be picking this one up

It's okay, I personally thought A Thousand Sun's is one of their best albums. It gets a lot of hate, but I see it as very mature step for them musically. Then again, I'm the kind of fan who thinks most of their work hasn't aged all that well. Not to say, I think A Thousand Sun's is great, it has some issues. But on the whole, I really dig that album (what they were going for).

devonodev

The Hunting Party represents a shift from the electronic rock sound of the band's previous two studio albums, offering instead a heavier hard rock sound reminiscent of their first two studio albums, Hybrid Theory and Meteora.
This gets me more hyped for the album than anything.

Toa TAK

Banned

I really like A Thousands Suns, I dug the message and the music over all. My favorite album to listen to from beginning to end.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I've heard them go from being full of hate and depression, to uplifting and geeky, and now to restaurant style music.

I like Live in Texas and A Thousand Suns. I hope the tracks on this album get better. Their sound is good, but they don't stick with you. They are better than the drunk mesh of music of today.

Aren't they about reaching people about serious topics? Poverty, hunger, and now lands filled of famine? Green Peace is more like it. Today's music sucks. It sucks horribly bad.

Final Masquerade is out there now. It's very radio friendly, but a lot more interesting and less repetitive than Until Its Gone. Kinda feels like it came off of Minutes to Midnight.

Mario007

Man been searching for FM for an hour and can't find it.
Edit: Ok just heard it. Chester really brings it for this song. It's amazing vocal work.

Arun1910

Love all the songs so far except for Until It's Gone, but seeing as that seems to be the first single, I'll give it a pass. Very repetitive and radio friendly I guess. But at the same time, doesn't really back up LP's claims for a "visceral" album and how rock has gotten too "pop", ha. Should have had Wastelands as a first single.

ANYWAY.

Leak in a few days hopefully! German release date is near!

Concept17

Rebellion is terribly boring. Until It's Gone is certainly a radio song, but it's not bad. Guilty all the same doesn't do much for me.

Wastelands is the best so far, by quite a bit.

Wazzy

Banned
I'm still excited even if I haven't loved the first couple tracks. Rebellion is good.

But god I wish they would stop with the bland grey and white album covers.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The biggest problem I'm hearing is that Chester's voice sounds like its totally blown out.

Zombine

Banned
These videos are doing nothing for me besides highlighting how god awful Linkin Park lyrics are. I've honestly been impressed by none of this and I enjoyed the last album quite a bit.

Listened to each of the 4 linked tracks in the OP.

After all of the 'rock album' statements and reviews, I was pumped to hear what they've been up to - but it's very disappointing. Chester can't seem to sing worth shit.

Mario007

The biggest problem I'm hearing is that Chester's voice sounds like its totally blown out.

These videos are doing nothing for me besides highlighting how god awful Linkin Park lyrics are. I've honestly been impressed by none of this and I enjoyed the last album quite a bit.
Listen to Final Masquerade. Seriously. I doubted the lyrics and Chesters voice before that song as well. FM is a fucking simple ballad but Chester really brings it to another level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom